The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Not sure for gambling but sure about girls.

It's right by the stoplight on 3rd road between Nua & Klang

There was a Chinese restaurant in there before.

Kinda mysterious, like they didn't want customers...I always thought it was a front for a gambling hall upstairs.

This new place looks more inviting.

North end of 3rd and just down and from the Vespa dealer next to a 7-11 and stop light.

I have heard rumors that a Lithuanian Egg House might be or is already opened in Jomthien. I heard about it from a friend of mine that is a steward on Air France. he thought it was near Immigration? Im coming to spend a few weeks in my condo before I turn it over to a buddy for a year plus....so if anybody has heard about this let me know..

I have heard rumors that a Lithuanian Egg House might be or is already opened in Jomthien. I heard about it from a friend of mine that is a steward on Air France. he thought it was near Immigration? Im coming to spend a few weeks in my condo before I turn it over to a buddy for a year plus....so if anybody has heard about this let me know..

So the owners demographic study reveals that Soi 5 in Jomtien sounds like the perfect place for a Lithuanian Egg House. OK.

Damn. I waited too long. Guess I'll have to rethink my plans for opening a Lithuanian Egg House in Jomtien

Edited by Buzzz
  • Haha 1

Anyone heard about The Lighthouse Cafe ? It's on the dark side I think, they offer American food and desserts , freshly baked .

Just saw some pictures and the food looks great . Location is in soi Khao Noi. Just want to drop by and buy some cakes or desserts if it is as good as it looks. Prices on the lower side, and only 40 baht for a coffee.

Edited by balo

Anyone heard about The Lighthouse Cafe ? It's on the dark side I think, they offer American food and desserts , freshly baked .

Just saw some pictures and the food looks great . Location is in soi Khao Noi. Just want to drop by and buy some cakes or desserts if it is as good as it looks. Prices on the lower side, and only 40 baht for a coffee.

Here's a video

• Like 1

Here's a video

Could be just a flash in a pan gigglem.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Do you like Khao Soi? (Northern Thai/Burmese curry noodle soup?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khao_soi

Well, you're in luck

It's now for sale at Central Pattaya beach basement food court.

The chicken version is 70 baht.

It's wouldn't win any awards in Chiang Mai, but I think it's serviceable enough.

Some of the toppings like pickles and cilantro are put on by the server as opposed to on offer to put on all you want, but all the traditional toppings including thick dry chili paste are there.

It just opened about July 1. When I was there there was rather a long queue of people wanting some, all Thai people.

Edited by Jingthing

Mr. Polenta Thai food polenta buffet!

Pattaya Tai, roughly across from Friendship but further down towards 3rd road.

Weird, huh?

Every Friday starting at 7 P.M. Mr. Polenta (previously mentioned on this thread) offers some Thai food dishes and a choice of polenta type or rice. It would silly to go there for rice.

It sounds kind of crazy to have polenta with Thai food but it tasted better than I expected!

I went with the GRILLED polenta. You can also choose regular yellow or taragna (mixed with a wheat grain and some cheese).

The Thai dishes change every week but on my visit there were three dishes, all very pleasant and definitely NOT spicy. Which was fine with polenta. To spice up, ask for the Italian spicy chili oil.

Cost is 229, drinks extra, a good value for a novel experience.

Of course there is always the regular polenta plus Italian accompaniments (strews, meats, etc.)

and pasta menu as well!

Mr. Polenta has really good polenta. I think this place needs more support! It's worthy.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Galetes (savory crepes) at Parrot's Inn Restaurant!

Picture from wiki, but looks very similar to what I had there:

post-37101-0-25648000-1467997168_thumb.j

What are they? (Not talking about cakes, talking about crepes.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galette

I hadn't been there for years, used to go for their mussels frites specials, but I see they've changed their menu and are now featured savory galettes and sweet crepes as well.

They have other French dishes as well, but I'm all about the savory galettes.

Prices range about 180 to 270 for savory crepes.

I had the "Gargantuan" with ground beef, herbes, and cheese, served with a lovely fried egg in the middle. It was a substantial and very delicious savory crepe!

I think people who are familiar with French savory galettes and people new to them will both enjoy the galetes at Parrots.

The location is here, 3rd road, south of Pattaya Tai:

http://www.parrots-inn.com/contact-us-hotel-restaurant-parrots-pattaya

Some restaurant info here:

http://www.parrots-inn.com/restaurant-hotel-parrots-pattaya

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifGalette_complète_in_Annecy,_France_-_20130714.jpg

I hadn't been there for years, used to go for their mussels frites specials, but I see they've changed their menu and are now featured savory galettes and sweet crepes as well.

I find it's the buckwheat flour that makes all the difference. If they are using that then it should be good.

• Like 1

Mr. Polenta has really good polenta. I think this place needs more support! It's worthy.

For me polenta is simply too awful to contemplate. I would rather eat salt-free cardboard. The notion of a polenta buffet is truly the stuff of nightmares.

Good find for those who like it though.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifGalette_complète_in_Annecy,_France_-_20130714.jpg

I find it's the buckwheat flour that makes all the difference. If they are using that then it should be good.

I assume it is.

Not many people care...but it appears Sam's Mexican Food over in Jomtien Plaza has closed/sold/moved? It's now a yet another boy bar. Sam has been around. Maybe he got a good offer on the lease or as the story goes, took his loss like a real man and just shut it down? He never gave up, you got to admire that.

If it has moved again, please post the new location. I always found the food good enough. We still don't have a real Mexican restaurant here in Pattaya. Mike's will do in a pinch, but there just isn't much close to real Mexican to talk about.

I think I saw a sign advertising a Mexican restaurant somewhere near the BMW garage on the way to Bang Saray. Seemed to be down one of the little sois that leads to the beach. I dont like Mexican food so I wont ever know any more about it, but someone with transport who likes it could take a look.

I think I saw a sign advertising a Mexican restaurant somewhere near the BMW garage on the way to Bang Saray. Seemed to be down one of the little sois that leads to the beach. I dont like Mexican food so I wont ever know any more about it, but someone with transport who likes it could take a look.

Hello! I saw that sign also and did in fact take a ride down the Soi. It's before the beach(if one exist). A house with a pool. Some tables set up around the pool area and a small kitchen. It was run by a Thai woman, perhaps the lady of some farang with an idea. No Mexicans in sight, a couple of non English speaking Thai staff. The menu had I think tacos and burritos as well as some typical farang food like fish and chips and pork chops. I seriously doubt it's Mexican as most think of it, but who ever knows. Maybe said assumed farang is behind it. The kitchen was not ovens at least not in plain sight. Just your typical gas fired woks etc.. No nachos on the menu. (Sam's nachos suck for air BTW, but Mike's are good)

More important perhaps...a bit off topic...but do you think they actually sell any of those BMW Motorcycles on display at that BMW franchise?

This place is always empty because he seem to be a marketing genius

as all the other places that open and close thinking that customers will automatically visit because his food is good.

Of course polenta with Thai food can be good, it's called fusion food, don't you know :-)

But the problem is that Thai will never understand this and are certainly not open to eat and test anything different than the ugly food that mama gave them since they are born.

I am sorry for this guy but he will close shortly.

Mr. Polenta Thai food polenta buffet!

Pattaya Tai, roughly across from Friendship but further down towards 3rd road.

Weird, huh?

Every Friday starting at 7 P.M. Mr. Polenta (previously mentioned on this thread) offers some Thai food dishes and a choice of polenta type or rice. It would silly to go there for rice.

It sounds kind of crazy to have polenta with Thai food but it tasted better than I expected!

I went with the GRILLED polenta. You can also choose regular yellow or taragna (mixed with a wheat grain and some cheese).

The Thai dishes change every week but on my visit there were three dishes, all very pleasant and definitely NOT spicy. Which was fine with polenta. To spice up, ask for the Italian spicy chili oil.

Cost is 229, drinks extra, a good value for a novel experience.

Of course there is always the regular polenta plus Italian accompaniments (strews, meats, etc.)

and pasta menu as well!

Well Mr. Polenta was recently written up in the local press. I also noticed they could use more business. So I'm not above encouraging people to try the place out. Because the food is nice and the prices fair. Not necessarily for the Thai food promotion nights of course.

Edited by Jingthing

Hello! I saw that sign also and did in fact take a ride down the Soi. It's before the beach(if one exist). A house with a pool. Some tables set up around the pool area and a small kitchen. It was run by a Thai woman, perhaps the lady of some farang with an idea. No Mexicans in sight, a couple of non English speaking Thai staff. The menu had I think tacos and burritos as well as some typical farang food like fish and chips and pork chops. I seriously doubt it's Mexican as most think of it, but who ever knows. Maybe said assumed farang is behind it. The kitchen was not ovens at least not in plain sight. Just your typical gas fired woks etc.. No nachos on the menu. (Sam's nachos suck for air BTW, but Mike's are good)

More important perhaps...a bit off topic...but do you think they actually sell any of those BMW Motorcycles on display at that BMW franchise?

I'm no expert but I get the impression that good Mexican food could prepared by a competent home cook, even non-Mexican. So I would not write it off without trying it. Maybe someone will?

The BMWs? I'm sure that some rich kids buy them from time to time. Any sort of luxury vehicle seems very out of place in Thailand to me. Bad roads, bad drivers, flooding, theft, lack of dealerships and the high cost of imported spare parts would all put me right off.

• Like 1

Not many people care...but it appears Sam's Mexican Food over in Jomtien Plaza has closed/sold/moved? It's now a yet another boy bar. Sam has been around. Maybe he got a good offer on the lease or as the story goes, took his loss like a real man and just shut it down? He never gave up, you got to admire that.

If it has moved again, please post the new location. I always found the food good enough. We still don't have a real Mexican restaurant here in Pattaya. Mike's will do in a pinch, but there just isn't much close to real Mexican to talk about.

Those Thai made frozen burritos (in the 4 pack) are good enough...heat those up and add some Doritos or La Fiesta salsa with some cheddar cheese and smashed avocado on top and you're good to go.

• Confused 1

It's an appropriate time to throw out a reminder about one of the best "upscale" restaurants on the Darkside, "Suggestions". It's located on Patanakarn Road, which runs north-south from near the east end of Nernplubwan (aka Muslim Road) to Nong Krapong (where the "Long Drive" Driving Range is located.

This is the road which has been under discussion in another thread because of the recent significant upgrade to the road surface, replacing blacktop with thick, reinforced concrete, and adding amazing lighting all along. (The road is only completed from Nernplubwan to a point just beyond where Suggestions is located. The south end of it is now being dug up to finish the project.

Suggestions is about 1.6 kms from the intersection with Nernplubwan, on the right side. It's just before the intersection with the road that leads up to the Bird Cage bar, and, beyond, to Khao Talo.

This place is, as I noted, an "upscale" environment, with food to match. The chef, Edwin, is Belgian; and a formally trained chef, and a very pleasant host. They have a fine Sunday Roast with the usual selection of meats; as well as a Daily Lunch Special, which offers 3 different choices each day, and includes a soup or salad appetizer, plus a choice from 2 desserts.

I've been eating here at least once a week (including throughout the road construction over bumpy dirt detours!) for the last year or so. I've literally never had a bad meal. Regular entrees range from roughly 225 to 500. The Sunday Roasts are 295 - 350, depending upon your choice of meat. The Daily Lunch Specials are 295. As I said, it's not for "cheap charlies"; but I consider everything on the menu to be a good value, considering the quality. Hours are 11:30 - 10:00 PM.

I would also add that the Samis restaurant nearby (front of Pattaya Paradise Village 1) is also very good and inexpensive. Open for lunch and dinner daily except Wednesday (don't quote me) and have a daily special with soup, salad, and main for 200 baht. Regular a la carte mains are 150-250 baht.

In addition, La Grotta Italian is just up the street from Suggestions in front of Pattaya Paradise Village 2 and they are open for lunch and dinner and do a very hearty minestrone soup, nice pastas, and pizzas (real wood pizza oven). I haven't tried their carne dishes yet. El fresco seating.

It's an appropriate time to throw out a reminder about one of the best "upscale" restaurants on the Darkside, "Suggestions". It's located on Patanakarn Road, which runs north-south from near the east end of Nernplubwan (aka Muslim Road) to Nong Krapong (where the "Long Drive" Driving Range is located.

This is the road which has been under discussion in another thread because of the recent significant upgrade to the road surface, replacing blacktop with thick, reinforced concrete, and adding amazing lighting all along. (The road is only completed from Nernplubwan to a point just beyond where Suggestions is located. The south end of it is now being dug up to finish the project.

Suggestions is about 1.6 kms from the intersection with Nernplubwan, on the right side. It's just before the intersection with the road that leads up to the Bird Cage bar, and, beyond, to Khao Talo.

This place is, as I noted, an "upscale" environment, with food to match. The chef, Edwin, is Belgian; and a formally trained chef, and a very pleasant host. They have a fine Sunday Roast with the usual selection of meats; as well as a Daily Lunch Special, which offers 3 different choices each day, and includes a soup or salad appetizer, plus a choice from 2 desserts.

I've been eating here at least once a week (including throughout the road construction over bumpy dirt detours!) for the last year or so. I've literally never had a bad meal. Regular entrees range from roughly 225 to 500. The Sunday Roasts are 295 - 350, depending upon your choice of meat. The Daily Lunch Specials are 295. As I said, it's not for "cheap charlies"; but I consider everything on the menu to be a good value, considering the quality. Hours are 11:30 - 10:00 PM.

I would also add that the Samis restaurant nearby (front of Pattaya Paradise Village 1) is also very good and inexpensive. Open for lunch and dinner daily except Wednesday (don't quote me) and have a daily special with soup, salad, and main for 200 baht. Regular a la carte mains are 150-250 baht.

In addition, La Grotta Italian is just up the street from Suggestions in front of Pattaya Paradise Village 2 and they are open for lunch and dinner and do a very hearty minestrone soup, nice pastas, and pizzas (real wood pizza oven). I haven't tried their carne dishes yet. El fresco seating.

Are you sure that La Grotta is open for lunch, OMG? They used to open at 4:00. I went there 2-3 times for dinner; and I agree that their food, both pastas and pizza, is very good! I was sorry that they were not open for lunch. I think I'll try to go there for lunch today to verify that. If not, I'll try Samis. Never eaten there before.

Are you sure that La Grotta is open for lunch, OMG? They used to open at 4:00. I went there 2-3 times for dinner; and I agree that their food, both pastas and pizza, is very good! I was sorry that they were not open for lunch. I think I'll try to go there for lunch today to verify that. If not, I'll try Samis. Never eaten there before.

Hope you see this in time...they're closed on Monday. Their Google Maps listing has them opening at 11...I too will confirm the next time I'm there.

Definitely give Samis a try...took lee dee!! Usually full for dinner as place isn't that big.

The Ukrainian cafe in soi Chaiyapruek is offering an interesting selection of Russian/Ukrainian dishes and the prices are unbeatable. I just had the Borsch soup which was very good, served with bread and only 65 baht. Coffee and cakes here is also top quality.

Where is that located on that soi, relative to beach road and Sukhumwit?

• Like 1

The Ukrainian cafe in soi Chaiyapruek is offering an interesting selection of Russian/Ukrainian dishes and the prices are unbeatable. I just had the Borsch soup which was very good, served with bread and only 65 baht. Coffee and cakes here is also top quality.

Where is that located on that soi, relative to beach road and Sukhumwit?

Location is opposite Baan Suan Lalana. They call themselves Cafe Chocolate but no signs outside yet.

But they do have a facebook page here : facebook.com/Cafechocolatepattaya

• Thanks 1

Mae Sri Ruen Restaurant Pattaya

New location. Pattaya Beach road, just south of Central Beach Mall

Better than I remember it!

I used to visit their Big C location often years ago for their standard item:

Pad thai cooked in egg, famous chicken noodle soup, fresh spring rolls, pork satay.

It was always cheap and good, but I got BORED with it and stopped going.

But they seem to have improved and are now less boring.

Of course all the old standards are there, but the prices are higher, the new beach road location is snazzier, and there are additional menu items.

Anyway, I don't find it boring anymore. At least for now.

Service was super efficient.

I'll be back!

Tried these dishes recently and loved them all:

1/2 "Roasted Chicken" served with two dipping sauces. A restaurant specialty.

The chicken didn't taste roasted to me, but more like fried with CRISPY skin (no breading). It reminded me of CANTONESE Chinese fried chicken, which is one of my favorite Chinese dishes, but less flavor in it than that dish. But still a good dish. I've never actual seen Cantonese fried chicken in town, so this will have to do.

Lemon grass, peanut, lime, spices crispy salad served on leaves. Reminded me of Burmese salads. Excellent.

Vietnamese (Thai favorite) Nam Neung with all the fixings. A decent version.

Thai sour soup with the omelette cooked w/ greens thingie. Largish shrimps included. Asked for spicy and got it. Excellent.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1