The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Mae Sri Ruen Restaurant Pattaya

New location. Pattaya Beach road, just south of Central Beach Mall

Better than I remember it!

I used to visit their Big C location often years ago for their standard item:

Pad thai cooked in egg, famous chicken noodle soup, fresh spring rolls, pork satay.

It was always cheap and good, but I got BORED with it and stopped going.

But they seem to have improved and are now less boring.

Of course all the old standards are there, but the prices are higher, the new beach road location is snazzier, and there are additional menu items.

Anyway, I don't find it boring anymore. At least for now.

Service was super efficient.

I'll be back!

Tried these dishes recently and loved them all:

1/2 "Roasted Chicken" served with two dipping sauces. A restaurant specialty.

The chicken didn't taste roasted to me, but more like fried with CRISPY skin (no breading). It reminded me of CANTONESE Chinese fried chicken, which is one of my favorite Chinese dishes, but less flavor in it than that dish. But still a good dish. I've never actual seen Cantonese fried chicken in town, so this will have to do.

Lemon grass, peanut, lime, spices crispy salad served on leaves. Reminded me of Burmese salads. Excellent.

Vietnamese (Thai favorite) Nam Neung with all the fixings. A decent version.

Thai sour soup with the omelette cooked w/ greens thingie. Largish shrimps included. Asked for spicy and got it. Excellent.

I visit this same restaurant at their Jomtien, located next to the Outlet Shops and TESCO.

Mostly Thai people dining there.

Right on Theprasit Rd at the Sukhumvit junction.

I don't know how they do it, but the staff is really on their toes.

Best service I've seen in Thailand.

Mae Sri Ruen Restaurant Pattaya

New location. Pattaya Beach road, just south of Central Beach Mall

Better than I remember it!

I used to visit their Big C location often years ago for their standard item:

Pad thai cooked in egg, famous chicken noodle soup, fresh spring rolls, pork satay.

It was always cheap and good, but I got BORED with it and stopped going.

But they seem to have improved and are now less boring.

Of course all the old standards are there, but the prices are higher, the new beach road location is snazzier, and there are additional menu items.

Anyway, I don't find it boring anymore. At least for now.

Service was super efficient.

I'll be back!

Tried these dishes recently and loved them all:

1/2 "Roasted Chicken" served with two dipping sauces. A restaurant specialty.

The chicken didn't taste roasted to me, but more like fried with CRISPY skin (no breading). It reminded me of CANTONESE Chinese fried chicken, which is one of my favorite Chinese dishes, but less flavor in it than that dish. But still a good dish. I've never actual seen Cantonese fried chicken in town, so this will have to do.

Lemon grass, peanut, lime, spices crispy salad served on leaves. Reminded me of Burmese salads. Excellent.

Vietnamese (Thai favorite) Nam Neung with all the fixings. A decent version.

Thai sour soup with the omelette cooked w/ greens thingie. Largish shrimps included. Asked for spicy and got it. Excellent.

I visit this same restaurant at their Jomtien, located next to the Outlet Shops and TESCO.

Mostly Thai people dining there.

Right on Theprasit Rd at the Sukhumvit junction.

I don't know how they do it, but the staff is really on their toes.

Best service I've seen in Thailand.

Is this is the one directly across from the sports shop in the Outlet Mall - on the access road? If so they must have improved greatly as the one time I ate there (probably over a year ago) the service was dire and put me off ever going back.

Carl's Jr. is doing a nice guacamole bacon cheeseburger these days. No it's not sliced or smashed guac but a nice guac spread and it's the best I've found in these parts.

i started getting these a year ago, Excellent
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

NAMASTE North Indian

South Pattaya (Middle Eastern/Indian district)

In same location as the now defunct Royal Indian Masala

Just a bit north of Beverly Plaza Hotel on 2nd road (south of Pattaya Tai going towards Jomtien)

http://hotelbeverlyplazapattaya.com/location.html

This is another serviceable moderately priced Indian restaurant.

Nothing to write home to India about but decent enough considering the price level in the Pattaya market.

I've tried four dishes so far. Enjoyed them all well enough.

The NAN at 30 baht is quite decent and a large size.

Paneer Jalfreezi curry (cheese / onion)

Aloo chaat (spicy potato street food appetizer)

Chicken Kariyala curry (tandoori chicken in a spinach gravy) (not Kerala)

Indian Chinese fusion dish Gobi Manchurian (spicy fried cauliflower)

In addition to the typical North Indian dishes, there is also a South Indian dosa menu (not yet available) and typical Chinese Indian fusion dishes (available).

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Simon's "Oriental" Israeli food restaurant

Relocated from Soi 17 to Soi Bukaow area

in the Soi Bukaow market parallel to Central Pattaya Beach Mall.

Enter the large market space from Soi Bukaow, it's on the RIGHT hand side and walk up one set of stairs. 
You can see the sign from the ground level in the market.

Is anyone else confused...somehow the Bua Kaow market area is parallel to the Central Pattaya Beach Mall  :facepalm:

If anyone knows where this place is can they let me know.

Simon's Israeli restaurant is in the same "Soi Buakhow market" as the Acropolis Greek restaurant. Open  daily. Not the not daily market near Pattaya Tai. Entering the market from Soi Buakhow, the Greek place is on the left hand side deep into the market area. Simon's is on the right hand side quite close to the entrance. You can't enter this market directly from 2nd road.

Reference the map here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d4275011-Reviews-Acropolis_Greek_Restaurant_Pattaya-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

FINALLY - Quality Japanese Food on the Darkside - Wasabu

I'd been anxiously awaiting the opening of this place, with the hope that we'd have a quality Japanese food option over here. It opened yesterday. I went in for lunch today, and I was not disappointed. 

First, the logistics. Wasabu is located on Soi Nern Plubwarn (Muslim Road). It's about 1 km from the east end (the temple), on the north side of the road (on your left as you drive toward the temple). Parking is a concern, as with most places here. There is a green wall with room for about 4 cars to park. Other than that, you can drive up the small road beside the restaurant, and park in the open dirt area behind. However, that land does not belong to the owners of the restaurant; so there's no guarantee that it will last. You can park on the side of the road in both directions, but you have to squeeze in. 

Once inside, there is a variety of seating options. Just inside the entrance, there's a small bar. Beyond that is a large open area with "astroturf" flooring, and a couple of decorative items (a cart and a bicycle with flowers). Beyond that, to the right, is a large open area with traditional Japanese seating (sit on mats at small tables for 4 to 6 people). Area seats about 30. It's covered to provide full shade, and has overhead fans. 

To the left of the open area are 4 tables, with 4 chairs each. These are also all shaded, though the angle of the sun can put some seats in the sun at certain times of the day. 

Straight beyond the open area is the indoor restaurant. There are 7 tables, each with 4 chairs. Plenty of room between the tables. In addition, there is a room at the back (on the way to the restrooms) which is set up for private parties. The long table seats 12. 

Decor is simple, but attractive. It's a brand new place, so it is, of course, very clean. 

Service was efficient and attentive. I had a small bottle of sake, and they were right there to refill my glass when I emptied it. (Of course, on Day 2, I was one of only two occupied tables. But they were obviously trained to keep an eye on their customers. 

The menu is large, and includes some Thai food, as well as the wide variety of Japanese foods. At least as many options for suchi, sashimi, noodles, grilled foods, soups, etc., as Fuji, but no "sets". 

I had the salmon with teriyaki sauce, plus garlic fried rice, and miso soup. I enjoyed everything. 

As I said, they do not, at this time, offer any "sets", as are offered by Fuji. So you're ordering individual items; and it can add up fast. I thought the prices were reasonable for Japanese food. Difficult to detail here, since items range from miso soup at 50 baht to entrees as high as 550. Just depends on what you want. The salmon, for example, was 220 baht, which I found reasonable, considering the quality. 

Bottom line is a strong recommendation from me to all fans of Japanese food who live on my side of the RR. If I lived on the beach side, I would go to Fuji, or one of the few other good Japanese restaurants over there. This place is for those of us who enjoy Japanese food, and DON'T enjoy travelling across Sukhumvit. 

Oh, they open at noon, and close at midnight, with last order at 11:00. 

I hope that some of you Japanese food fans over here will give it a try, and add your reviews. Personally, I'm rooting for their success, because I want to preserve this option on this side of the tracks! 

Edited by patsfangr
Forgot a couple of points. Correct a punctuation error.
  • Thanks 1

Simon's Israeli restaurant is in the same "Soi Buakhow market" as the Acropolis Greek restaurant. Open  daily. Not the not daily market near Pattaya Tai. Entering the market from Soi Buakhow, the Greek place is on the left hand side deep into the market area. Simon's is on the right hand side quite close to the entrance. You can't enter this market directly from 2nd road.

Reference the map here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d4275011-Reviews-Acropolis_Greek_Restaurant_Pattaya-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Sounds like a decent place to go for middlle eastern food. How would you rate this place compared with others. Price and quality ?

Similar quality ... somewhat different styles.

The Place is a little higher cost for some dishes. It has yellow rice on offer ("Persian") while Simon's doesn't. 

There is also Jasmine but their menu is much less extensive than The Place or Simons.

The Centara (synagogue) restaurant is the only Kosher place so they have to charge a lot more for the Kosher meat dishes as the cost to source is higher (also hotel location overhead). It's probably somewhat more sophisticated for some dishes as well. 

There really isn't any high end "gourmet Israeli food place in town ... it's interesting that Israeli food has become quite trendy in the west these days, a lot of innovation going on as Israeli is a such a rich mix of international cultures. But here it's pretty standard stuff. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I drove there and could not find it, I guess they are as good at marketing as 99% of the restaurant that open and close just few months later without even understanding why. Ridiculous. Maybe it's me ALSO, but anyway they are wrong. I also don't know what is  Baan Suan Lalana and I don't think that giving the name of a village is a good way to explain where is a the restaurant. Still no google map on this great thread of champions ?

The Ukrainian cafe in soi Chaiyapruek is offering an interesting selection of Russian/Ukrainian dishes and the prices are unbeatable. I just had the Borsch soup which was very good, served with bread and only 65 baht. Coffee and cakes here is also top quality.

Edited by Matty83210
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Matty83210 said:

I also don't know what is  Baan Suan Lalana a

From Jomtien 2nd road , turn left up Chaiyapruek, its located on the left side opposite the first 7 eleven  you see .  it's a small cafe with glass walls,   

3 hours ago, balo said:

From Jomtien 2nd road , turn left up Chaiyapruek, its located on the left side opposite the first 7 eleven  you see .  it's a small cafe with glass walls,   

Thank you, I checked very well there and didn't see it, but will try again and wish them that they deserve my time :-)

"Do you like Khao Soi?  It's now for sale at Central Pattaya beach basement food court."

Does anyone know the location of the Khao Soi vendor in the food court?  We couldn't find it.  Asked several others - nobody had a clue.

Thanks in advance for any information.

I went to Lonestar Texas BBQ the other evening at 630 pm.  They advertise on Pattaya One TV and it looked good.  The door was closed, but a woman came out and said "you have to sit outside".  I look in and saw half a dozen cans of rodent/bug spray and a woman sweeping a big mess of bugs and rodent feces into a pile.  What a time to do something like this. Obviously I left this disappointing filth hole and will never return. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah.....but in that area. I would bet just about every place down there faces a similar issue.

In Bangkok.  Ten plus plus years ago I was quite good friends with the German brewmaster at a very famous and popular British pub place on sukhumvit.  He warned me to never ever eat there.

I'm pretty certain many places Asia wide are the same.

I have some great rodent stories for another time and thread.

Toto "Italian Taste" Restaurant

Thappraya Road, Jomtien

Near the very end of Thappraya road just before it hits Jomtien beach road.

Right hand side of street approaching the beach.

This is one of those tough luck really, really bad Feung Sheu locations where you see restaurants come and go rapidly. 

As expected, this one too appears to be struggling.

That doesn't mean the food is bad ... just something about that location.

It's mostly pizza and pasta.

Moderate prices.

There are much more visible and successful Italian restaurants in that general area of Jomtien, but I thought I'd eat a pizza there for the "gipper" as you never know, sometimes slow places have some treasures to reveal.

So I tried a "Napoli" pizza at 270 baht.

I expected an Italian style pizza and got exactly that.

The Italian style where the crust is thin and crispy and the toppings are minimalist.

It's a good style if you want a "lighter" pizza eating experience.

The crust had some nice flavor and was perhaps the CRISPIEST crust I've ever had in Pattaya. Too crispy for my personal taste but if you want crispy, you know where to go.

The ends were not  built up enough for my taste and as crispy as it was, for me there wasn't enough CHAR. Often the CHAR is on the ends, but as there wasn't much end to begin with ... not much to get charred there.

As far as the toppings, decent flavor but the portion of CHEESE was even less than I would normally expect even on a minimalist Italian pizza. Yes I could see some with my eye but it didn't really register in my mouth. I like at least some gooey cheese goodness mouth feel. Didn't feel it with this pizza.

I'm assuming the anchovies were Thai not Italian. Although not very visible, perhaps the highlight of the meal (other than the super crispy crust which I did enjoy as a novelty) there was strong anchovy FLAVOR in every bite. Great if you like anchovy flavor as I do. 

Price value-wise, I think 270 is a tad high for what was offered, but not horribly so. I'm sure it's not the best thin crispy Italian style pizza in town, nor is it the worse. It did have a distinctive style from the competition so product differentiation is certainly good for something. 

In case you're wondering, the chef for my pizza was a Thai guy which I know because he came out seemingly overdressed in a chef's outfit. 

Overall, the experience was a better than I expected (due to prejudice of seeing any slow place) but not as good as I would have hoped. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm assuming the anchovies were Thai not Italian. Although not very visible, perhaps the highlight of the meal (other than the super crispy crust which I did enjoy as a novelty) there was strong anchovy FLAVOR in every bite. Great if you like anchovy flavor as I do.

I'm an anchovy lover and I've noticed that large catering cans of imported anchovies are available at Makro for a reasonable price, so it may well be that the ones on your pizza were indeed imported.

These anchovies are not the world's best quality (they're not really good enough to eat straight from the tin) but they are OK for cooking or salad sauces.

• Thanks 1

Sohotown, Pattaya's "Chinatown" village 

https://www.facebook.com/Sohotown-Pattaya-533400416722884/

Um. Well, not so much. 

Sohotown is an outdoor food court type thingie located on the east side of 2nd road, north of Big C, south of Pattaya North, across the street from Sabai Empress Hotel.

http://www.sabaiempress.com/location.html

Anyway, there are several restaurants in this food court. Even with the Chinese decorations and obvious come on to Chinese tourists, the majority of the food offerings are for seafood done Thai style. Chinese tourists can come there and order in their language. As the prices are on the high side, I'm sure a very lucrative operation.

Also of interest to me, are some Chinese food restaurants.:thumbsup:

You will find these from the entrance on the immediate left, down at the end on the left, and down at the end on the right.

The menus are in Chinese but there are pictures and you can always use google translate on your phone. Language is an issue and they are not really catering to westerners. 

Most of the Chinese menus are completely identical in the different restaurants.

One of them is different, the one at the end on the left hand side. 

Sechuan hot pots are offered at the larger place at the front on the left hand side.

At night they also do Northern Chinese style meat sticks grilled with Chinese spices.

The owner of that place (and likely others) used to own a mediocre and not cheap Chinese restaurant on Pattaya North road, now closed.

I have been twice and so far ordered from the standard menu one, ordering from the location on the right in the back, but cooked elsewhere.

I tried the ground pork with salted mustard greens twice, at 120 baht. Cooked very differently both times, probably from different kitchens. The first time was too salty even for salted mustard greens (no chilies) and the second time was much more pleasant, not as salty, lots of chilis (didn't ask), and had a really good "chi" of the wok. A basic dish but to me worth the price.

I have also tried a spicy beef stew in what was listed on one menu as homemade noodles at 150 baht. It came nothing as pictured, no spice, tiny beef chunks, no large greens item in an unpleasant basic salt broth. The noodles didn't taste homemade to me. You expect wheat noodles in this style of food but they seemed to me standard Thai thin rice dried rice noodles though I don't walk around with a food chemistry lab. Definitely not worth 150 baht. More like 50.

I also tried the dumplings. Calling them meh would be generous. The dipping sauce was just thin soy sauce. No ginger. Not good value at 150 baht.

I tried to order some interesting dishes from the one Chinese place with the unique menu but they didn't have what I wanted when I was there.

Rice is 20 baht. Bring your own drinks to the outdoor food court seating. Or you can eat inside as well (not too attractive). 

As you can probably tell, I'm not thrilled about the Chinese food at these places so far, but the fact that the basic pork with mustard greens was so satisfying (and hard to find elsewhere) makes me think there are probably other decent things to eat at these places.

So if you're adventurous, willing to deal with going to places not really expecting to serve you if you're not Chinese, you might want to take some chances with these menus. Some of the dishes are Sechuan and Hunan style so that's a plus. Be careful about ordering meat dishes only on the picture alone unless you don't mind being surprised by a heaping hot plate of stir fried duck anuses. The prices for many of the meat and seafood items are on the HIGH side though. 

Edited by Jingthing

Indian Rasoi Restaurant

2nd Road, South Pattaya, going towards Jomtien

(opposite Nova Platinum Hotel)

Recently, I mentioned the new Indian restaurant Namaste.

On that same theme, over the years my go to moderate priced Indian restaurant often changes.

Not talking about higher end places like Indian by Nature, which is great but pricey, but more "regular" places.

So I would like to mention Indian Rasoi, a current favorite place.

In a similar location as Namaste but a fair trek further towards Jomtien on the same 2nd road (South Pattaya) in the Indian/Middle Eastern district.

Here's the tripadvisor listing:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d7904896-Reviews-Indian_Rasoi_Restaurant-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

I've found some dishes better than others but they are quite consistent and yes I would recommend Indian Rasoi over Namaste for overall experience.

Aside from the quite decent and authentically Indian food at fair prices, they always put a vegetable plate, mint sauce, and pickles on the table for every order.

Also very good response for whatever your spice level request is. Unlike so many Indian places that are so annoying with racial profiling and not believing it when a non-Indian person asks for it to be spicy.

A sample of how fair their prices are ... very good Dal Tadka for only 100 baht.

I am only referring to their Indian and Chinese-Indian fusion food. They also offer Russian and Thai food but not sure why you'd go there for that.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Indian Rasoi Restaurant

2nd Road, South Pattaya, going towards Jomtien

(opposite Nova Platinum Hotel)

Indian Touch, also across from Nova Platinum Hotel, is also good. A little high but does quite a business which means of course, it's real Indian food. Always friendly etc.. Not for the cheap charlies but if you can afford and appreciate a decent meal, give it a try. I've never seen the one mentioned by this poster and I've been in that area both on foot and as I say, dining. Strange.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2016 at 5:06 PM, bkk6060 said:

I went to Lonestar Texas BBQ the other evening at 630 pm.  They advertise on Pattaya One TV and it looked good.  The door was closed, but a woman came out and said "you have to sit outside".  I look in and saw half a dozen cans of rodent/bug spray and a woman sweeping a big mess of bugs and rodent feces into a pile.  What a time to do something like this. Obviously I left this disappointing filth hole and will never return. 

It's "managed" by a former(as far as I know only former) pimp. What do you expect? Pest control is a difficult thing to do yourself, even at home. You really need professionals and regular service. Buying cans of spray at the supermarket isn't going to work. I'm surprised the outlet has remained open as long as it has but there is somebody paying the bills who just has more money than brains. Lastly, there isn't much choice for American style BBQ in Pattaya. In fact, no choices. It's not offered in the true sense. At least you get the atmosphere at Lonestar deceptive as it is. 

On 8/6/2016 at 3:47 PM, OMGImInPattaya said:

Is anyone else confused...somehow the Bua Kaow market area is parallel to the Central Pattaya Beach Mall  :facepalm:

If anyone knows where this place is can they let me know.

I still don't know either mate. How can it be "parallel" to the "Central Pattaya Beach Mall" when there is no such mall? Does he mean Central Festival? And if he does, it wouldn't be "parallel". I'd like to try some Israeli food just for kicks since I'm interested in war tourism. Can someone please just give directions even a drunken Soi Bouikow pedestrian with a pocket full of money can understand? Start at Soi LK Metro or Soi Honey. Cheers mates. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

It's "managed" by a former(as far as I know only former) pimp. What do you expect? Pest control is a difficult thing to do yourself, even at home. You really need professionals and regular service. Buying cans of spray at the supermarket isn't going to work. I'm surprised the outlet has remained open as long as it has but there is somebody paying the bills who just has more money than brains. Lastly, there isn't much choice for American style BBQ in Pattaya. In fact, no choices. It's not offered in the true sense. At least you get the atmosphere at Lonestar deceptive as it is. 

The BBQ ribs at Rich Man Poor Man are as good as you will find most anywhere.

16 minutes ago, pegman said:

The BBQ ribs at Rich Man Poor Man are as good as you will find most anywhere.

Yes but only available on weekends. I've grown to dislike the ribs at Beefeaters also on the weekends. "Something wrong" with the sauce and amount of grease.  A remarkable fact is ribs in Phnom Penh are better, even at the clip joint Sharky Bar, than most in Pattaya. You would also be shocked considering the number of live pigs transported into Cambodia from Thailand. But they have it figured out some how. I've seen advertisements for places in Bangkok but hardly ever go to the big city as sensitive to smog. Cheers mate. 

8 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Yes but only available on weekends. I've grown to dislike the ribs at Beefeaters also on the weekends. "Something wrong" with the sauce and amount of grease.  A remarkable fact is ribs in Phnom Penh are better, even at the clip joint Sharky Bar, than most in Pattaya. You would also be shocked considering the number of live pigs transported into Cambodia from Thailand. But they have it figured out some how. I've seen advertisements for places in Bangkok but hardly ever go to the big city as sensitive to smog. Cheers mate. 

Agree...most of the food in PP shitze over just about anything available in Pattaya. However, PP is a capitol city of a couple million people whereas Pattaya is a seaside resort of a few hundred thousand so it stands to reason.

9 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

I still don't know either mate. How can it be "parallel" to the "Central Pattaya Beach Mall" when there is no such mall? Does he mean Central Festival? And if he does, it wouldn't be "parallel". I'd like to try some Israeli food just for kicks since I'm interested in war tourism. Can someone please just give directions even a drunken Soi Bouikow pedestrian with a pocket full of money can understand? Start at Soi LK Metro or Soi Honey. Cheers mates. 

Yes, sir.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CentralFestival_Pattaya_Beach

Previous post:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608166-the-hit-and-run-restaurant-34review34-thread/?page=69#comment-11027305

Edited by Jingthing