More Russians Robbed At Gunpoint In Pratumnak

Rimmer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope there will be no comments about someone should not carry that about of money.

Sorry, I didn't read the full report and the amount wasn't mentioned in the extract.

Here you go:

What sort of pea-brained idiot carries 10,000 Baht around with them and sits around "eating and drinking" (aka "getting plastered") on the sidewalk at 5am after a night out? Hardly surprising the muggers are tempted.

10,000 Baht to bring is around 230 Euros. That's certainly not much money to bring with them.

As usual, seems like too many people miss the point. If you're out having a drink and bite to eat, it shouldn't matter what time of day or night it is, you shouldn't have to factor in possibly having a gun stuck in your face and getting robbed. Neither should you have to walk around with just pocket money in case you do. As has been said, 10,000 baht, about 200 quid is NOT a lot of money and the robbers don't know what you're carrying anyway!

More emphasis needs to be put on the apprehension and jailing of these <deleted> as it seems to be increasingly common for this sort of thing to happen. I'm no fan of the Russki's but the robbers don't know that either!

10,000 Baht to bring is around 230 Euros. That's certainly not much money to bring with them.

It's a month's wages for many Thai people, so hardly surprising that some of them are prepared to steal it at gunpoint. It might equate to carrying around 50,000B in Europe, and who would do that at 5am?

Many farangs here have little or no concept of the value of money, as is clearly indicated by some of the posts in this thread.

As usual, seems like too many people miss the point. If you're out having a drink and bite to eat, it shouldn't matter what time of day or night it is, you shouldn't have to factor in possibly having a gun stuck in your face and getting robbed.

It shouldn't, but it does. The world is not particularly safe any more and it will only get worse. People need to wake up and realise this.

None contributing Pattaya bashing posts removed also quoted replies. If that is all you can contribute to this topic then stand by to be suspended for trolling.

Pattaya reputation worsens more and more !!

Don't be a drama queen...people are robbed at gunpoint the world over on a daily basis...I bet it even happens in Moscow and St. Petersburg so I'm sure nothing new to these folks.

I would think its more dangerous in the streets of Moscow, than in Pattaya.

It's a month's wages for many Thai people, so hardly surprising that some of them are prepared to steal it at gunpoint. It might equate to carrying around 50,000B in Europe, and who would do that at 5am?

Many farangs here have little or no concept of the value of money, as is clearly indicated by some of the posts in this thread.

It seems that to the people that live here 10000 baht is a lot of money to be walking in the street with at 5am, but to people who do not live here it is not. To further put things into perspective my rent is 4500 baht/month, water is 150 and electric varies depending on how much I use the A/C. So 10000 baht is enough to cover two months rent + electric and water.

Even when I'm going out at night on Walking Street the usual amount I carry is 1000 baht and never exceeds 1500 baht. The only place I would carry 10000 baht is from the ATM to the room to put into the safe.

• Like 1

They were robbed at gunpoint - the amount of money they had is irrelevant & I'm sure having a gun pointed at them was far more scary than losing B10k.

OK - defend Pattaya if you must (I am ambivalent about the place) but why focus on the amount of money & not the robbery itself?

• Like 2

They were robbed at gunpoint - the amount of money they had is irrelevant & I'm sure having a gun pointed at them was far more scary than losing B10k.

OK - defend Pattaya if you must (I am ambivalent about the place) but why focus on the amount of money & not the robbery itself?

You're right. The amount of money is unremarkable. However, I do think when we hear cases of people being robbed on the street holding 500K baht for example, the amount IS remarkable.

Don't be a drama queen...people are robbed at gunpoint the world over on a daily basis...I bet it even happens in Moscow and St. Petersburg so I'm sure nothing new to these folks.

Have to agree that this happens all over the world, but the article focuses here on Pratumnak. One thing I never understood is why these Russian speaking visitors always go around visibly adorned with a lot of bling. They make it too easy for the criminal element here although I am not condoning it or accusing these visitors. It is what it is.

• Like 1

I lived in Bangkok for years and never felt unsafe walking down any street regardless of the hour. In Pattaya, I become wary and uneasy the moment I set foot outside my condo. Can't wait to get out of this degenerate place. It gets worse by the minute. The police do nothing to enforce the law beyond collecting helmet tax. It was a much better place 10 years ago. They say that poverty drives people to commit crime. Thailand has prospered over the last decade and has become ore and more unsafe each year.

• Like 1

Yeah. I'd love to know how many tourists are robbed/raped at gunpoint in Moscow and St. Petersburg.

I lived in Bangkok for years and never felt unsafe walking down any street regardless of the hour. In Pattaya, I become wary and uneasy the moment I set foot outside my condo. Can't wait to get out of this degenerate place. It gets worse by the minute. The police do nothing to enforce the law beyond collecting helmet tax. It was a much better place 10 years ago. They say that poverty drives people to commit crime. Thailand has prospered over the last decade and has become ore and more unsafe each year.

How many street crimes are committed by prosperous people? Plenty of poor people and drug addicts in Pattaya. Away from the main tourist area, many Thai people from other provinces living in squalor.

It seems that to the people that live here 10000 baht is a lot of money to be walking in the street with at 5am, but to people who do not live here it is not. To further put things into perspective my rent is 4500 baht/month, water is 150 and electric varies depending on how much I use the A/C. So 10000 baht is enough to cover two months rent + electric and water.

Even when I'm going out at night on Walking Street the usual amount I carry is 1000 baht and never exceeds 1500 baht. The only place I would carry 10000 baht is from the ATM to the room to put into the safe.

I just about always carry more than 5000 bahts on me.

But with only 1500 bahts in your wallet, would a gun pointed at your face be less frightening?

But with only 1500 bahts in your wallet, would a gun pointed at your face be less frightening?

Surely not. But if everyone only carried sensible amounts of money then the muggers would probably think twice about getting their guns out in the first place. In fact they would probably think twice about even doing an unarmed mugging.

The reason these criminals strike is because they know full well that many daft farangs wander around in the middle of the night carrying absurdly large amounts of cash and gold and who knows what other pointless bling.

Edited by BlackPuddingBertha

Surely not. But if everyone only carried sensible amounts of money then the muggers would probably think twice about getting their guns out in the first place. In fact they would probably think twice about even doing an unarmed mugging.

The reason these criminals strike is because they know full well that many daft farangs wander around in the middle of the night carrying absurdly large amounts of cash and gold and who knows what other pointless bling.

Reality check.

Michelle Smith was killed for some 200 bahts she was carying in her purse.

Thiefs were caught near my apartment. They were stealing every night to get Ya Bah. Motorcycle helmets twice, DVD movies in bags in my motorbike. Honda Fino front wheel of the neighbour, worth only a few hundred bahts at resell.

Anything will do.

And what tourists carry are certainly not absurdly large amounts of cash.

If they flaunt gold necklaces, well they deserve to lose them.

I hope there will be no comments about someone should not carry that about of money. Seems to be the victim is usually at fault. Four people eating dinner should not expect to be robbed, even if they were (drinking alcohol). That is another thing about these post. What if they were drinking Pepsi, would that make a difference?

No body expects or deserves to be the victim of any sort of crime, the point some us are trying to make is that <deleted> happens the world over and that pattaya is certainly not immune. If not already, I'm sure the Russian foreign ministry and or their outbound tourism agency will post appropriate travel warnings for Russians traveling abroad.

Lets face it if the true crime statistics were ever compiled annualy about Pattaya and put in the public domain there would be 50 % drop in visiters to this the largest brothel in the world, a stick up is chicken feed compared to the legalised scams and murders that take place here, The town attarcts the worlds worst along with worlds innocent, crime will happen every day way above average statistics in this cess pit, enter the spiders web or the lions den suffer the consequences.

That's debatable. As Quentin Crisp said about not cleaning your apartment EVER, it can only get so dirty. Whatever the reputation there always seem to be some national groups happy to swamp the joint.

As long as the weather stays warm in the winter months and the country is not under water and the Thai women put out easy, it will be what it is.

Michelle Smith was killed for some 200 bahts she was carying in her purse.

Thiefs were caught near my apartment. They were stealing every night to get Ya Bah. Motorcycle helmets twice, DVD movies in bags in my motorbike. Honda Fino front wheel of the neighbour, worth only a few hundred bahts at resell.

Anything will do.

And what tourists carry are certainly not absurdly large amounts of cash.

On the contrary, barely a day goes by without some report in here of a tourist losing tens if not hundreds of thousands of Baht (or equivalent in other currencies) to some pickpocket on Beach Road. People really do wander around with absurdly large sums in cash on them.

Whilst it is true that there will always be drug addicts and the like prepared to go to jail for stealing hub-caps, I suspect that most muggings are carried out by people who are tempted by much bigger things and who would not be tempted by smaller amounts.

This happens in ever city, ever day. Sad but true. Not unique to Pattaya.

I doubt that's true. People robbed at gun point in every city, every day?? It may be a regular occurence in some cities but I think you need to check your facts before posting exagerated generalisations.

Its quite common for thais to carry handguns. However most of them locked their guns in the car compartment, hardly or never had to use it in their whole lives.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

How do you know this. In over 20 years I have only known 2 Thai friends own guns, and these were not handguns A very small percentage of the Thais I know well. I'm sure lots do have guns, legal, illegal and homemade. But most?

As usual, seems like too many people miss the point. If you're out having a drink and bite to eat, it shouldn't matter what time of day or night it is, you shouldn't have to factor in possibly having a gun stuck in your face and getting robbed.

It shouldn't, but it does. The world is not particularly safe any more and it will only get worse. People need to wake up and realise this.

I agree with you Bertha. The world is not safe and seems to be getting less so. Yet, so many people do not think sensibly about taking precautions or safety. This seems more so when they are on holiday - more relaxed and less concerned about life's problems. This is not an issue unique to Thailand.

im always amazed at the responses ...its not the russkies fault for being robbed ...sure they did a few things i wouldnt do .... and yes it can be dangerous ANYWHERE ...wrong place wrong time etc ...naomi campbell robbed in a fashionable part of paris today .... however seasoned mongers will agree the patts and phuket IS GETTING WORSE ...

Not really. Even only 20 years ago there was hardly any street crime and you could walk around day or night without fear of things like this happening.

Murders and robberies, yes, but usually performed in the victim's home by invited "guests".

Personally I thought it was a much nicer place when there were more hookers and fewer muggers/murderers, and I think it was rather stupid of the powers that be to want to change the status quo.

• Like 1