Thai Scooter To Malaysia

Sydneycraig

Have read lots of info but some conflicting so after confirmation from someone who has taken a Thai registered scooter to Malaysia for 3 months...

As an Australian I get 3 months visa on arrival for myself ...

The bike gets the same if I have green book in my name and a translation of green book from the motor office... And the number plate needs to be changed also ???? Where do I get it if so??

Thanks all and any tips for where to go in Malaysia appreciated

You might want to take a look at the gt-rider.com or rideasia.net forums for this information. They have a great deal of information on the subject.

Yes, great info there, many GT Rider members have taken their Thai registered bikes to Laos and Cambodia. Malaysia should be a piece of cake :)

What the number is they "plaster" on the front of the bike, is your Thai license plate translated into English, and includes the letters of which province you are from.

You can get your local Thai motor vehicle branch to translate on paper to save time at the office border just after you go across the border. They also will sell you compulsory insurance I believe for minimum 3 months... (was not too expensive) ...

Fairly easy process... if you plan on going across again in future leave the number on your bike!

When you come to the Tolls on Hwy you by-pass them on bike lanes (no tolls for motorbikes) ....

Always fill your gas tank full especially if crossing to the east coast and on the east coast. Gas stations in some areas are fair apart... Other wise not a bad country to tour around.

Edited by samuijimmy

• 3 weeks later...

So.. Insurance for Malaysia is found on the Thai side ... About 100m on the right before the Thai checkpoint in one if the street stalls ... Not obvious so go slow ... Insurance is 1100 baht for 3 months and takes 30 mins to process ... Get stamped out if Thailand and head to Malaysian immigration ... No paperwork or anything to do for fir the bike exiting from Thailand ... Just a few meters from Malaysian immigration is a door for JPJ perlis ... Take the paperwork from the insurance place here and they will sort your paperwork for Malaysia ... That's it ... Just into Malaysia there are a stack of hairpin bends leading to an awesome view into Malaysia :)

post-147778-13592082040722_thumb.jpg the insurance shop Thai side ... There is one just before Malaysia immigration but it was closed so I had to go back... Can come and go as you please !

post-147778-13592082857143_thumb.jpg the JPJ door just after Malaysian immigration ... Stop here for your permit to ride in Malaysia ... No charge and 5 minutes..

I have seen loads of crashes in Thailand but none fatal... Today in ipoh, I road past a scooter accident. 1 rider and 1 bike down. Not sure what happened but he was dead and they were just covering his face with a jacket as I went past .... Put me off riding the bike today... Have others seen similar and felt the same?! Obviously I will keep going as I'm in the middle of Malaysia on my Thai scooter but today I walk!!