• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a little place called mexico

Where is it in Bangkok?

It's very little but here you go:

21/60-62 South Sathorn Road, Piso 20

Sathorn, Bangkok 10120, TAILANDIA

That very little bit of Mexico has it's food catered for by El Mariachi Taqueria. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

a little place called mexico

Where is it in Bangkok?

That very little bit of Mexico has it's food catered for by El Mariachi Taqueria. thumbsup.gif

Do you mean El Mariachi delivers food to the Mexican Embassy, or do they actually have a cantina or something selling their food at the embassy? I'd like to try El Mariachi, and Sathorn is very convenient.

ere is it in Bangkok?

Do you mean El Mariachi delivers food to the Mexican Embassy, or do they actually have a cantina or something selling their food at the embassy? I'd like to try El Mariachi, and Sathorn is very convenient.

El Mariachi does catering for Mexican Embassy events because El Mariachi is Mexican and they know how to make Mexican food.

El Mariachi do not have any branches other than the taqueria on Sri Nakharin. I have no idea if or how often they deliver all the way to the embassy. I guess it depends on how badly and patriotically the personal de la embajada are craving a taste of home.

Edited by Trembly

El Mariachi does catering for Mexican Embassy events because El Mariachi is Mexican and they know how to make Mexican food.

El Mariachi do not have any branches other than the taqueria on Sri Nakharin. I have no idea if or how often they deliver all the way to the embassy. I guess it depends on how badly and patriotically the personal de la embajada are craving a taste of home.

What was the last Mexican Embassy event you attended, where El Mariachi catered?

What was the last Mexican Embassy event you attended, where El Mariachi catered?

As far as I know it was their national day September 16, but I never received an invitation as I don't know any Mexicans in Thailand apart from a long departed previous ambassador and the chef at El Mariachi.

On the advice of people on this thread, I dined at La Monita this evening.

Awful: service, food, ambience, value for money.

Bangkok's own Taco Bell.

Never again.

Can't please all of the people all of the time I suppose. Are there specifics you'd like to share ? I'm going tomorrow and can add my 2 satang.

If you think it's Taco Bell try Sunrise and report back.

On the advice of people on this thread, I dined at La Monita this evening. 

Awful: service, food, ambience, value for money. 

Bangkok's own Taco Bell.

Never again.

You seem to like Mike's in Pattaya which is no great shakes, so I can't quite fathom why La Monita gets trashed so badly. What did you order?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

First time I went to La Monita the service was a breath of fresh air. A real contrast to the typical BKK restaurant service. The waiting staff were helpful, made recommendation, prompt, friendly, attentive and happy. It wasn't very busy at that point.

Following week went back a bit later and was much busier. Service was not good but not bad.

Waited 25 minutes for chips and salsa. Chips were out of a bag -- Fritos.

Salsa bar out of everything but two items, and those looked like they had been there since last week.

Main course came 5 minutes later. My Chimi tasted of the oil it was deep fried in. The skin was soggy. The rice and beans were cold My friends' thought their dishes were sub par for all sorts of reasons.

Service inattentive throughout the meal.

Music repetitive and loud.

Bench seating uncomfortable.

Prices compare with Coyote -- which is also overpriced.

Waited 25 minutes for chips and salsa. Chips were out of a bag -- Fritos.

Salsa bar out of everything but two items, and those looked like they had been there since last week.

Main course came 5 minutes later. My Chimi tasted of the oil it was deep fried in. The skin was soggy. The rice and beans were cold My friends' thought their dishes were sub par for all sorts of reasons.

Service inattentive throughout the meal.

Music repetitive and loud.

Bench seating uncomfortable.

Prices compare with Coyote -- which is also overpriced.

Well I just finished my chorizo chimi and it was really good - I was expecting it to be a bit crunchier but the cheese layer underneath the casing (?) would make this very difficult I suppose.

The chips are not from a bag as I could see the kitchen from the bar and I asked :) I couldn't hear the music as the place was so full and the table behind me were arguing over where to spend the afternoon so I was being nosey listening in.

I agree the salsa bar needs replenishing more often, the place is packed as we speak with a few people standing outside waiting for tables. The staff are running around trying IMO, perhaps the place needs to be opened up so the staff can see everyone rather than peaking around corners.

Can't comment on the benches as I was seated and the bar and I'm comfortable always on a bar stool:)

As for being over priced - I was in and out in 45 minutes chimi/chips with two club sodas for less than 500 baht.

post-183262-0-15733300-1382251590_thumb.

Edited by ToddWeston

As humbly as possible, I'll just add that the "problem" with Mexican food here is that most of the customers don't have any idea what it should really taste like. Florida can't even begin to get a feel for what Mexican food is - maybe seeing it all visually on a map would make my point clear.

True. Most people. There are some Mexicans in Thailand and also a good portion of Americans and Canadians in Thailand are familiar with what Mexican food should taste like from visits to Mexico and/or experiencing Mexican food as eaten by real Mexicans in Latino barrios at home.

Like Chevy's?

That looks Ok Todd....but its the carnitas tacos with the hot salsa provided on the tables for me all day long.

The salsa bar stuff aint great in my experience.

Gawd knows why people are ordering chips.....

I wanted the carnitas but I was on mission :) I've had a chimi once before and I thought they were square not oblong -is it a tortilla shell ?

One thing I wasn't paying attention when they dropped the 3 bottles down and my god the hot one must be up there on the heat scale.

Maybe prospero unluckily was there on a bad day.

That said, I was also a bit disappointed on my last visit to La Monita.

Service was poor -- they took one person's order then walked away from the table. And several things were screwed up.

My usual order of chorizo quesadilla was also not up to par with previous visits. The proportions of the fillings were all off. It was 90% chorizo...not nearly enough cheese, guacamole, sour cream, etc.

This is the first time out of maybe a dozen that I felt things were off.

Other people at the table reported that their food was all good, though.

That looks Ok Todd....but its the carnitas tacos with the hot salsa provided on the tables for me all day long.

The salsa bar stuff aint great in my experience.

Gawd knows why people are ordering chips.....

I wanted the carnitas but I was on mission :) I've had a chimi once before and I thought they were square not oblong -is it a tortilla shell ?

One thing I wasn't paying attention when they dropped the 3 bottles down and my god the hot one must be up there on the heat scale.

Get the carnitas next time Todd and apply the hottest of the three liberally.

No no....more than that.....trust me! ;)

• Like 1

"Fritos", and tortilla chips, are two different things.

"Doritos" are in between.

And neither is served at La Monita. They make their own.

The gentleman was mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

What did I munch on today ? corn based or flour based (tortilla) ? - I said "chips" and they appeared and then was pointed towards the salsa bar. I liked them nice crunch - not much flavour without the salsa.

I assume the chimi was wrapped in a flour based tortilla and deep fried ?