Government Blocking Rural Public From Tv Information Flow

george

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More facts.....less rhetoric.....that's what I want.

Don't worry, they're working on that. :o

In the meantime, if you intend on using proxies ( http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=proxies&meta= )

for accessing the information YOU want, you could always TRY proxies, but lately, most links to proxies simply take you to :

http://www.mict.go.th/cit/block.html,

brought to you by the fine people at :

http://www.cattelecom.com/

and

http://ict.cyberclean.org/

Chowna>> Unfortuanly, regarding these things, it can be hard for normal citisens to prove anything, even though the 'coincidents' seems to mount up.

Unless you are willing to supply us with our own police-force. Expat-squad!

Haven't noticed any coincidences mounting up cocerning this issue which is people not being able to travel freely to the rally. Seems like most people are making it. In this age of mobile phones it seems unlikely that a group of politically active people being stopped by the police would sit idly by and not inform someone about what was happening....because if they did you know darn well that it would be publicized to the max...anounced to the crowds....etc. If 100,000 people travel to bangkok for the rally and the average vehicle holds 20 people then that's 5,000 vehicles. Knowing how rural Thai people like to drink when they travel do you think it is possible that a few of the drivers were drunk? Seems like this would be an easy excuse to stop them. If there was a wide spread systematic hindrance of people traveling to the rally we certainly would be getting reports of it...but we're not.....except for isolated reports (one report so far?)

Chownah

Here's a funny one reported on ASTV today.

North Eastern village, speakers come on in the morning telling everyone around that no one is to go to the rally in Bangkok, roads will be blocked. Villagers wanting to go tricked the village headman by saying they were pro-Thaksin and wanted to "show their appreciation and support to the PM". They were given money for transportation and made it to the rally. :o

PTV in Si Racha and Chonburi have been flooded with complaints this week since they have been interfering with broadcasts which seem to be back this evening. As for Si Racha, a giant screen has been installed near the water treatment facilities as apparently many still do not receive the "usual" tv stations these days.

Villagers wanting to go tricked the village headman by saying they were pro-Thaksin and wanted to "show their appreciation and support to the PM". They were given money for transportation and made it to the rally. laugh.gif
Gotta love this on! :o

Here's a funny one reported on ASTV today.

North Eastern village, speakers come on in the morning telling everyone around that no one is to go to the rally in Bangkok, roads will be blocked. Villagers wanting to go tricked the village headman by saying they were pro-Thaksin and wanted to "show their appreciation and support to the PM". They were given money for transportation and made it to the rally. :o

PTV in Si Racha and Chonburi have been flooded with complaints this week since they have been interfering with broadcasts which seem to be back this evening. As for Si Racha, a giant screen has been installed near the water treatment facilities as apparently many still do not receive the "usual" tv stations these days.

Yeah, those Isaan headmen are real suckers for the "we like Toxin" trick....it works every time. The people are really smart though....that's why they all vote for....who was it that they all vote for?...I forget....wait...isn't it Toxin they all vote for?....aren't these people the ones who can't be trusted in the election that Toxin has called. Aren't these people the ones who are going to re-elect Toxin and that's why the anti Toxin crowd don't want an elecction?

Yeah, those Isaan headmen are real suckers for the "we like Toxin" trick....it works every time. The people are really smart though....that's why they all vote for....who was it that they all vote for?...I forget....wait...isn't it Toxin they all vote for?....aren't these people the ones who can't be trusted in the election that Toxin has called. Aren't these people the ones who are going to re-elect Toxin and that's why the anti Toxin crowd don't want an elecction?

May I refer you to post number 3:

You can fool some of the people some of the time

Actually, this is wrong. It should be: "You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time."

Perhaps Abraham Lincoln should have added: "Except someone called 'Chownah'."

you're lamenting about the electronic media.

print media/newspaper are pretty open. even thai rath started reporting about it.

people know very well what is going on in this country.

like there is never news about the insides of the monarchy, people seem to know exactly what is going on.

dont underestimate the thais.

Confirmed by someone in Si Racha that ASTV has been removed from their cable service.

It would be great if we could get some facts concerning this...like....why was it removed, who authorized it, is it temporary, what is the name of the cable service, who runs it, etc. etc.

By just saying that somone's cable service has had ASTV removed is like spreading rumors...people will come to a conclusion (I think you have already) without any facts to indicate the reasons or meaning to the factoid that you present....this is a technique used to spread propoganda...it is also called "spinning" a story....it reallly should be discouraged.

Yeah, gossips and rumors spread very fast. I nearly fell for one about that King's dog, Thong Dang.

Taksin's people can spread/control rumors just as well, and there are many more of them in power.

It would be great if we could get some facts concerning this...like....why was it removed, who authorized it, is it temporary, what is the name of the cable service, who runs it, etc. etc.

Jesus, how do you expect people to go about it? Call the company, break into their offices if they don't answer, tap in their phone lines if there are no written orders lying around?

Yeah, gossips and rumors spread very fast. I nearly fell for one about that King's dog, Thong Dang.

Taksin's people can spread/control rumors just as well, and there are many more of them in power.

Jesus, how do you expect people to go about it? Call the company, break into their offices if they don't answer, tap in their phone lines if there are no written orders lying around?

Supposedly this has been "confirmed" by someone in Si Racha.....who was it?

Once you find out who it was then ask them what the name of their cable service is....and thier phone number and their address....which is all on their bill they get.

Is this so difficult? I think not....its just easier to start rumors than to report news....especially if the easier to start rumor leads people to agree with your views and finding the facts might (and I'll repeat MIGHT) tend to show the error of your view.

Beside that in Si Racha, what is with all the "normal" TV chanels. On the beginning there was absolut zero about it. Now there is very little information.

when there are 50-100K people on the street and most air tv chanels forget to show it even in BKK, than this is not normal.

And don't forget the missinformations of the past (from what is going on in the south, trying to block the VCD comming from the south.

Remind me to the fact of the CIA guys (10 or 20) which were catched from paramilitaers in the south and sent back to USA, that was one time in the newspaper (BKK post or Nation, I can not recall) but than never again. If that would happen in Europe, that would be for month in the news (I hope)

Once you find out who it was then ask them what the name of their cable service is....and thier phone number and their address....which is all on their bill they get.

Is this so difficult? I think not....its just easier to start rumors than to report news....especially if the easier to start rumor leads people to agree with your views and finding the facts might (and I'll repeat MIGHT) tend to show the error of your view.

When trying to access ASTV Online, you get diverted to the following message:

Thank you for your interest in IPtv Live On Demand, the leading broadcasting online television and Video on Demand. We want you to enjoy our powerful experience of online television, but it is presently unavailable to customers within your area.

/Edit - ASTV Website here

Edited by Jai Dee

I can also confirm the removal of all three ASTV channels that had previously been carried by our local cable TV. This removal occured on the evening of Feb. 25 (the rally was the 26th). They had been carried for approximately 9 months prior to that. When called, the office gave the explanation that they wanted to make room for other channels.

The 3 channels replacing them are a Chinese children's channel (dubbed in Thai), TTV3=which provides around the clock Chinese soap operas (dubbed in Thai), and a channel showing 24/7 Indian music videos, which I'm sure the 4 Indians living in our city thoroughly enjoy.

If you'd like to investigate them further Chownah, their name and address are:

PTV

99/4-5 Sukhumwit Road

With apologies to Plus, my days of covert operations for the American military are over so I won't be doing any night-time break-ins or wire-tapping of their facilities.

=========================================================

additional history provided for chownah's hobby of life-long learning (one which we both share).

The Nation

Published on Jan 27, 2006

Sondhi Limthongkul's lawyer Suwat Apaisak said his client would file an administrative suit on Monday asking for a court order to lift a government ban against live broadcasts of the weekly show by ASTV 1 communication satellite.

The government imposed the ban through CAT Telecom Plc on the grounds that the satellite had no licence to operate as a television station.

Democrat MP Khunying Kalaya Sophonpanich said she was concerned about media interference as shown by the blocking of ASTV 1 and the attempt to shut down Sondhi’s Manager Group website.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Nation

Published on Feb 3, 2006

The Administrative Court yesterday ordered authorities to desist from shutting down the ASTV satellite service of government critic Sondhi Limthongkul and his media group’s website.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Nation

Published on Feb 5, 2006

MEDIA COVERAGE: Almost all TV stations avoid live broadcast of events from Royal Plaza

Those who wanted to follow yesterday’s anti-Thaksin rally had to depend on the radio or Internet for real-time updates.

No television stations, except the Manager Group’s ASTV satellite channel, broadcast the events from the Royal Plaza live.

They sent mobile units to cover the event and showed scenes during their hourly news programmes.

Prachai Liaopairat’s FM 92.25 and Manager Group’s FM 97.75 carried the protest all day, while Manager and The Nation posted breaking news on their websites.

They ( TRT) will cut the radio and TV communications and force local village chiefs and govs to force the local population to vote for TRT. Not surprised at all with this method of cutting off the public from the opposition and democratic reformist. :o

sorry to sound ignorant but I have never heard of ASTV. Is it a channel on tv and online? I live in the south, do you think I can get it here - asuming it's not blocked?

Having read this entire thread, one must be cautious- ASTV may or may not exist. It may or may not be true there even IS an ASTV...we need more facts first... :o:D

I'm trying to find some kind of evidence to support the view that the gov't pressured people.

Thaksin just pressured people to re-elect him, remeber previous elections were only feb 2005

And you want to find some kind of evidence? :o

I can also confirm the removal of all three ASTV channels that had previously been carried by our local cable TV. This removal occured on the evening of Feb. 25 (the rally was the 26th). They had been carried for approximately 9 months prior to that. When called, the office gave the explanation that they wanted to make room for other channels.

The 3 channels replacing them are a Chinese children's channel (dubbed in Thai), TTV3=which provides around the clock Chinese soap operas (dubbed in Thai), and a channel showing 24/7 Indian music videos, which I'm sure the 4 Indians living in our city thoroughly enjoy.

If you'd like to investigate them further Chownah, their name and address are:

PTV

99/4-5 Sukhumwit Road

With apologies to Plus, my days of covert operations for the American military are over so I won't be doing any night-time break-ins or wire-tapping of their facilities.

Well it sounds like the reaon that your local cable TV company stopped handling the ASTV channels is that they wanted to make room for other channels....at least that is what they said. I don't necessarily believe that this is all the truth....it could very well be that they were pressured by someone....or it could be that the owners of the local cable company are members of TRT and don't want to be broadcasting information that weakens their political investment....maybe no one was watching ASTV so they wanted to put something on that would interest people more (you do know that the average Thai is not nearly as interested in this as are the people who post here)...I don't know. If they were pressured by someone then it seems that they don't want to talk about it....they gave their reason and unless somone can dig deeper, if we go beyond what they have said then we are only speculating. I'm reallly intereted in knowing who owns ASTV...anyone know?

Quick edit: You say that there were three ASTV channels and they all disappeared. Were all three of them broadcasting the rally and related political developments?

Quick edit: I went to the ASTV website and found out that ASTV2 belongs to Sondhi.

Edited by chownah

the various ASTV channels broadcast a variety of programs. At one time or another, they all carried news or political interviews.

However many Srirachians watched it, I'm fairly certain they outnumbered those that are watching the current Z-smile channel with it's Bollywood singing stars.

Edited by sriracha john

Chaonah, by the time you establish all the facts you need to form an opinion, Taksin will be gone and ASTV will be broadcast on Channel 9, then we will know for sure. :o

So far there really isn't much on the way of facts. One cable provider said that they dropped three ASTV channels to make room for three new channels. There are a variety of possible reasons why they did this...but it doesn't seem like they want to talk about it......of course there are many people posting here who THINK they know why but there really is no evidence...it is all speculation at this point. I guess there really aren't any facts known by the posters here that would confirm the allegations made by one senator.

May I refer you to post number 3:

You can fool some of the people some of the time

Actually, this is wrong. It should be: "You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time."

Perhaps Abraham Lincoln should have added: "Except someone called 'Chownah'."

Classic!!! :o:D:D

So far there really isn't much on the way of facts.

That's exactly why I rely on Jon Stewarts "Daily Show" for most of my news (CNN 10:30 a.m/p.m on weekends in Thailand). They CLEARLY state:

"Our news sories are NOT fact checked, nor well thought out" etc, etc.. I LIKE that kinda honesty. Amazing how accurate their "news" is tho... :o:D