Apply For Thai Driving Licence With Only Uk Licence

davejones

The OP already has a UK DL. Has the OP given up any and all links with the UK?

I agree that per the DVLA rulings as stated here, I (and probably a few thousand others) may well be in contravention of their rules and associated laws (if any). However, does the DVLA come and physically verify your residence as stated on your license? When I filed my updated DL card photo, I had to provide proof of address since the Post Office had changed the postal code on the same street address sometime between 1977 and last year. Their system would not accept a change of post code on the same address until they saw proof (a bank statement) that indicated that the street address was the same but the post code had changed. After that, they reissued my UKDL photo card and paper license without further question whilst in actuality, I live in Udon. And Houston. And Sao Luis, Brazil.

In the meantime, I manage to rent cars when I visit the UK on my UK DL. How can the OP claim that he cannot? How can the OP say he cannot get a UK IDL with his UK DL. Unless he has been banned for traffic violations and his UKDL is in 'the system' as such, then I can see where a clerk at a car rental desk would decline.

The OP can update his UK DL photo with the DVLA as long as he has ACCESS TO a UK postal address. Like others have posted, it can be a family member address or that of a friend. It is neither illegal or fraudulent to do so. The DVLA does not accept overseas addresses. I have lived overseas for over 30 years and recently updated my UK DL photo card using my parents address in the UK. I notably do not stay there while I am in the UK but it is a physical and verifiable address where if need be, police and authorities can find out where I am.

Once the OP gets the UK DL revalidated, he can apply in person (at AA Offices or certain main Post Offices) or by post (direct with the AA) for a 1-year, non-extendable but renewable UK International Driving PERMIT (not a license). He will be unable to drive on the UK IDP as a UK citizen in the UK. I mean, he can drive but it would be illegal. He would be legal to drive as a UK visitor on his Thai DL (if he can get one) but some car rental agencies may have 'issues' with that as I had using my Thai DL for a rental in the US due to an expired US DL.

Back to the crux of the OP, having an IDP is NOT required when applying for a Thai DL. Having a full, valid DL from your home or another country is.

You are wrong. The law is very clear - you have to be a UK resident to do the above, not have access to a UK address. They probably won't check, but it is certainly not legal, so don't give out advice that is totally wrong. Read the DVLA website. It couldn't be any clearer that you can only do the above if you are a UK resident. UK resident means actually living at an address in the UK. If you don't believe me, then phone the DVLA and ask them. And good luck if you have a serious accident and the insurance company start investigating. Of course, probably 99%+ of people won't have any problems because no-one is likely to check. But that's also the case with lots of illegal things.

www.fleetnews.co.uk/files/Driver_Licence_Check_Guide.pdf

This Department of Transport guide states:-

The term ‘resident’ is not, in fact, explicitly

defined in British legislation for the purposes of

driving licences. However, it is a prerequisite for

obtaining a UK licence that the applicant

‘meets the relevant residency requirement’

highlighted in Section 89(1a) of the 1988 Road

Traffic Act (as amended).

(Appologies for the small cut and paste text)

So, you are correct that you have to be a UK resident to obtain a UK driving licence, however, if you already hold a UK licence the position is not so clear cut.

Whether you are, UK resident, Ordinarily resident, Non-Ordinarily resident and Domiciled are covered by HM Revenue & Customs in:-

http://www.hmrc.gov....l/residence.htm

For instance:-

If you're in the UK for fewer than 183 days

Even if you're in the UK for fewer than 183 days in a tax year, you might still be UK resident.

If you come to the UK to live or work on a continuing basis you will be resident from your arrival.

Factors that affect your residence status include:

• whether you have previously been a UK resident
  • where your family, property, business, work, and social connections are
  • the pattern and purpose of your visits to the UK

You are likely to be resident if, over a period of several years, your presence in the UK becomes part of the regular pattern of your life.

The HMRC rules only apply to tax. The don't apply to anything else.

Anyway, to me the rules just aren't clear enough. It's pointless continuing to debate this, because most people's response is along the lines that they use a relatives' address so it must be ok. No-one, including me, has come up with a satisfactory answer. So I will get a Thai licence, and find out about driving in the UK when/if I go.

I agree that per the DVLA rulings as stated here, I (and probably a few thousand others) may well be in contravention of their rules and associated laws (if any). However, does the DVLA come and physically verify your residence as stated on your license? When I filed my updated DL card photo, I had to provide proof of address since the Post Office had changed the postal code on the same street address sometime between 1977 and last year. Their system would not accept a change of post code on the same address until they saw proof (a bank statement) that indicated that the street address was the same but the post code had changed. After that, they reissued my UKDL photo card and paper license without further question whilst in actuality, I live in Udon. And Houston. And Sao Luis, Brazil.

In the meantime, I manage to rent cars when I visit the UK on my UK DL. How can the OP claim that he cannot? How can the OP say he cannot get a UK IDL with his UK DL. Unless he has been banned for traffic violations and his UKDL is in 'the system' as such, then I can see where a clerk at a car rental desk would decline.

I am not claiming that I can't rent a car. I'm claiming that to change my address with DVLA or renew my licence is against their rules/the law. I am therefore assuming I'm not allowed to drive there because my licence will soon be expired. I'm sure I could renew and use a friend's address, and I'm sure I could then hire a car. But I'm not sure this would be legal, and don't want to take the risk. That is all there is to it. I'm not claiming to know the full facts one way or the other. The rules seem too vague, but in my opinion they seem to suggest it's illegal for me to drive there.

That's my last word on the subject. I seem to be repeating myself, but people are continuing to seem to think I'm saying things I haven't said. So to clarify, I'm not saying that I know 100% that it's illegal for me to drive in the UK. I'm saying that based on what I've read that this seems to be the case, although there seems to be a lot of doubt surrounding the rules.

I am not claiming that I can't rent a car. I'm claiming that to change my address with DVLA or renew my licence is against their rules/the law. I am therefore assuming I'm not allowed to drive there because my licence will soon be expired. I'm sure I could renew and use a friend's address, and I'm sure I could then hire a car. But I'm not sure this would be legal, and don't want to take the risk. That is all there is to it. I'm not claiming to know the full facts one way or the other. The rules seem too vague, but in my opinion they seem to suggest it's illegal for me to drive there.

That's my last word on the subject. I seem to be repeating myself, but people are continuing to seem to think I'm saying things I haven't said. So to clarify, I'm not saying that I know 100% that it's illegal for me to drive in the UK. I'm saying that based on what I've read that this seems to be the case, although there seems to be a lot of doubt surrounding the rules.

Yes, you are repeating myself because you're not listening to sensible advice. As long as you have a UK license you can legally drive in the UK, the address on that license has no bearing on the legality. Renew before it expires and you're fully legal. Or do you think that e.g. your ambassador to Thailand is driving in the UK on a Thai license?

• Like 1

There should be a symbol (like a gun or something) placed on a thread when the discussion gets hijacked. This one turned into a discussion on DL's in the UK, when the OP asked about DL's in Thailand.bah.gif

Not really hijacked in this case. The OP started by asking if he could get a Thai licence by presenting a UK licence without an International Driving Permit (which based on my experience he can- I had an IDP but they didn't look at it) - but then he said -

Also, as I'm no longer a resident there, I can't hire a car there with my UK licence, which is a bit of a problem, as my friends and family live in pretty remote areas. I'm British, passed my driving test there, but I'm not allowed to use my UK licence to drive there. Has the world gone mad?

Last summer I hired from Hertz booking online with my UK Licence, but I'm sure I declared my Thai address when I checked in. There wasn't a problem.

The DVLA wording specifically states that one must be UK resident to obtain a UKDL.

Until such time as the DVLA wording SPECIFICALLY STATES that it is illegal for a current UKDL holder to use that license in the UK whilst residing overseas, I (and thousands of others) will carry on using their UKDL in the UK. If the OP truly does have no recourse or access to ANY UK residential address and therefore totally unable to renew either the photo card or complete UKDL, then getting a Thai DL (and a Thai IDP while he's at it) may be the only way to go. As long as the 'unusable' UKDL is still valid with regard to expiration date, the local LTO where the OP will apply for the Thai DL will accept it. They won't worry about the UK address either. Having a IDP from another country isn't required for getting a Thai DL, just a valid DL from the 'home' country.

I believe they want an IDP if your license is not in English. They can figure out English, just not German, Russian, Japanese, Arabic, etc. (There is no Thai page in an IDP so what's the point of obtaining a translation of your English license - the Name, Date of Birth, Expiration Date data - already in English, into an IDP where they use the English page to figure out what is your Name, Date of Birth, Expiration Date, etc.?)

I used my American non-expired drivers license to obtain a car license directly - no test except the color blind and reaction test. If your license is expired, forget it - you do the test route.

If I had some proof printed off the internet - from my state drivers license issuer - that 'proved' my motorcycle endorsement, I would have been issued a motorcycle license directly, no tests. And this would have been in English! Since I wasn't prepared for that, I just opted to take the written and driving test instead of going home, getting proof, and returning the next day. Took me about 2 hours extra to do the tests, much of that time sitting and waiting.

Are you saying the motorcycle endorsement printed on your license (US) is not good enough?

I believe they want an IDP if your license is not in English. They can figure out English, just not German, Russian, Japanese, Arabic, etc. (There is no Thai page in an IDP so what's the point of obtaining a translation of your English license - the Name, Date of Birth, Expiration Date data - already in English, into an IDP where they use the English page to figure out what is your Name, Date of Birth, Expiration Date, etc.?)

I used my American non-expired drivers license to obtain a car license directly - no test except the color blind and reaction test. If your license is expired, forget it - you do the test route.

If I had some proof printed off the internet - from my state drivers license issuer - that 'proved' my motorcycle endorsement, I would have been issued a motorcycle license directly, no tests. And this would have been in English! Since I wasn't prepared for that, I just opted to take the written and driving test instead of going home, getting proof, and returning the next day. Took me about 2 hours extra to do the tests, much of that time sitting and waiting.

Are you saying the motorcycle endorsement printed on your license (US) is not good enough?

Officially it is not, since the limitations on that endorsement do not exist on a Thai motorbike license.

I have all sorts of endorsements for different motor vehicles on my Swiss license.Legally, I can use my Swiss license / IDP for up to one year, by which time I should have a Thai DL. The Thai police at check points just waved me through when they saw my licenses but if you get involved in an accident, things may be very different. So although I recently got a Thai DL for car, I have lost the others unless I take the other tests soon. (Steam driven locomotive, MC, MC with side car, tractor, track driven vehicle, etc etc).

I lost my license about a year ago, and read that I cannot apply as not living in UK. This thread inspired me to go for it and use my Mum's address, I had to lie and say I have lived there for over 3 years, which is technically illegal and subject to a 5,000 GBP fine, but hey, worth a try.

They even managed to get the photo from my passport application last year (via HK - that might be a giveaway that I don't live in the UK.......). Anyway they took my 20 quid within seconds (sms from bank), they must need the money or something biggrin.png

Should be at my Mum's house within 2 weeks according to the email they just sent me, will report back here what happens. Thanks all for the inspiration wai2.gif

• Like 1

I lost my license about a year ago, and read that I cannot apply as not living in UK. This thread inspired me to go for it and use my Mum's address, I had to lie and say I have lived there for over 3 years, which is technically illegal and subject to a 5,000 GBP fine, but hey, worth a try.

They even managed to get the photo from my passport application last year (via HK - that might be a giveaway that I don't live in the UK.......). Anyway they took my 20 quid within seconds (sms from bank), they must need the money or something biggrin.png

Should be at my Mum's house within 2 weeks according to the email they just sent me, will report back here what happens. Thanks all for the inspiration wai2.gif

Just a quick update, new license arrived at my Mum's hous last FRIDAY - 2 days after the online application. She is DHL-ing it over now, just wish I had done this a long time ago.

Thanks to all who posted with positive comments about how easy this was, I just assumed I could not do it end of story.

My MC endorsement was 'CY'. They (the Thais working in the DL office) cannot be expected to know what the code means, for all the 50 states in the U.S., all the countries in the world - so they ask that you provide something they can read - in English (in theory anyway) - that lets them know what the code means.