Baht Bus Bottleneck From Jomtien To Pattaya During Peak Hours -- Worse Than Ever!

Jingthing

There is one thing I do which I am not suggesting anyone else do as well but I think it's a tiny act of communication about this ridiculous situation. Generally now if you see an empty bus they are NOT accepting bus passengers, they are only hustling for charter fares. Well, I know that well, but I wave down these "buses" anyway and see what happens. So they do the game of slowing down at the cab rather than at the back and look you in the eye to see if you are going to charter. Of course I'm not going to charter and they see that and move on. I think it sends a tiny message.

I am asking for feedback though here.

When they slow down and won't be a bus, what is a good verbal or non-verbal response to that?

Honestly, I kind of FEEL like giving them the finger but of course I don't do that.

But what would be a good thing to do or say to somewhat but "politely" amplify the tiny message being sent in those aborted transport encounters?

I think buying a motorbike is your safest option, getting into a cold war with the transport mafia doesn't sound like a good idea

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one thing I do which I am not suggesting anyone else do as well but I think it's a tiny act of communication about this ridiculous situation. Generally now if you see an empty bus they are NOT accepting bus passengers, they are only hustling for charter fares. Well, I know that well, but I wave down these "buses" anyway and see what happens. So they do the game of slowing down at the cab rather than at the back and look you in the eye to see if you are going to charter. Of course I'm not going to charter and they see that and move on. I think it sends a tiny message.

When they slow down and won't be a bus, what is a good verbal or non-verbal response to that?

Honestly, I kind of FEEL like giving them the finger but of course I don't do that.

But what would be a good thing to do or say to somewhat but "politely" amplify the tiny message being sent in those aborted transport encounters?

I think buying a motorbike is your safest option, getting into a cold war with the transport mafia doesn't sound like a good idea

That was predictable. This is a topic about PUBLIC TRANSPORT.

what is happening is not difficult to understand - we have a wave of new visitor to pattaya who haven't done their research before coming here, they think it's the norm to hand over a hundred baht each for a 5 minute taxi ride on a route that should have cost them 10 baht each, the baht bus drivers are taking this opportunity to scam people who are clueless of the transport system here - they are having a field day

I have seen this several times while just walking past people getting off baht busses - they are handing over 100baht notes because they are none the wiser and this is on 10baht routes

The newbies (all nationalities) are ruining it for the rest of us and the drivers are milking it all the way

Don't even get me started about people who hijack already engaged buses as buses for their own charters. w00t.gif

Stop them and ask them how much to "say" Banglamung hospital, or Banglamung police station. When they come up with a price just say OK I'll think about it. Bye!

That's pretty good but probably more effort than I would want to put into this every time because there are so many!

Don't even get me started about people who hijack already engaged buses as buses for their own charters. w00t.gif

A simple smile works for me everytime.

It sends the message and lets them know, you know they know you know.

A simple smile works for me everytime.

It sends the message and lets them know, you know they know you know.

Not a simple smirk? coffee1.gif I like the idea of a facial expression and I get your point but that sounds just a little too polite. Edited by Jingthing

Very predictable. If the public transport is lousy, go private! Especially as there's nothing you'll be able to do about this other than complain.

Very predictable. If the public transport is lousy, go private! Especially as there's nothing you'll be able to do about this other than complain.

Why do people into private vehicles (which have their own problems) insist on trying to CONVERT people who want to keep using public transport? Do people who use public transport try to enter threads about problems with private vehicles and suggest they must dump their vehicles?

Look, I am NEVER going to buy a vehicle in Thailand. More than enough said. The thread is about public transport.

This happens every time there is a baht bus problem thread. I think it is not cool. People who want to use public transport should not need to DEFEND their decision.

Edited by Jingthing

Rockin' rollin' ridin' all along the bay, All bound for Sleeze town, A short distance away, Driver gets all greedy, passengers ring the bell, policemen wave their wallets and say just go to hell.

....and yes, @JINGTHING you make my heart sing, you make everything sing.

Edited by FlamingBull

the solution is simple

Have two types of baht bus clearly identified, one for hire like a taxi and the other that serves the normal transport routes, they can decide what they want to be, time for city hall to take action on this issue before it gets out of hand

• Like 2

the solution is simple

Have two types of baht bus clearly identified, one for hire like a taxi and the other that serves the normal transport routes, they can decide what they want to be, time for city hall to take action on this issue before it gets out of hand

That's OK but I think better would be an expansion of the taxis, make them real meter taxis, and they do the charters, and the remaining moderately reduced baht buses forced to act as buses only. Some of the baht bus drivers could become taxi drivers. Edited by Jingthing

Until you brought up this issue of charter chasing, I never knew what was going on. In my few months here since June, I'd had many empty buses slow down near me on Central Road and then take off, or simply bypass me. Left me perplexed. It had mostly been happening since late November, early December. It was about then that I'd had enough of being ignored or treated like slaughter cattle by "public transport" providers. As I've said before in posts, I bought a motorcycle and this has freed me from the tyranny of greed and unpredictability.

Jingthing, I think you're beating your head against a wall in trying to turn the ripoff capital of Thailand into a functioning city. Every commercial endeavour here is attuned to washing as much cash as possible out of our pockets. As my TGF sometimes tells me, you get some of the worst people Thailand has to offer here. There is the odd bit of evidence of honest endeavour here, but overall you're not going to change a thing. Have the jet-ski scams stopped? No. Have the police stopped fleecing farangs and Thais who start a business here? No. Have BGs stopped or reduced their multiple-sponsor practices? No. Will baht bus drivers stop chasing charters during high season at the expense of normal, dependable patrons? No.

• Like 1

Yes I am aware it is bad every high season. My impression is this high season is the worse ever. Again, no motorcycle for me. I'd rather walk.

BTW, ripoff capital of Thailand? I think you mean ... PHUKET. w00t.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Yes, JT your own personal thread and no counter suggestions will be tolerated! Seems to me that PUBLIC TRANSPORT as you capitalise it is failing badly and the suggestion of boycotting it and buying a motorcycle is not a bad idea.

• Like 1

Yes, JT your own personal thread and no counter suggestions will be tolerated! Seems to me that PUBLIC TRANSPORT as you capitalise it is failing badly and the suggestion of boycotting it and buying a motorcycle is not a bad idea.

This amazing "original" idea has been communicated. Thank you. Just like on every other thread about baht bus issues going back YEARS. Message received. Are you suggesting this thread should be hijacked into a motorcycle thread? Have at it then. No I don't "own" any thread. If the public for some weird reason can't tolerate a thread focused on PUBLIC TRANSPORT, then again, go for it. For those of us, and there are many, who have no intention of ever driving our own vehicle in this town, ESPECIALLY motorcycles, I guess we'll need to seek another venue. I think I'll visit the Buddhist forum now to preach Mormonism. Just for fun.

BTW, when I asked for "feedback" it was specifically about ways to react to empty bus drivers on the actual streets who refuse to be buses. Consider it fully known, fully assumed ALWAYS that private transport is an alternative to public transport, just as public transport is an alternative to private transport. Both have pros and cons.

Think of another way. Someone posts a restaurant review and complains about the food and service. Consider it always assumed, they could have obtained food in other ways, outside of that or any restaurant. Imagine this absurdity. The pizza was burnt. Reply: COOK your own pizza!

Edited by Jingthing

Just to add.

Obviously if you live far outside the service area of public transport, you can't use it except with some kind of private way to get closer to the access.

Just as if you are blind or mad drunk all the time, you can't drive a private vehicle.

Exceptions, exceptions.

Edited by Jingthing

IMO there is no real public transport available in Pattaya, you hop into a baht bus let's say at soi 7 willing to go to soi 6.. 10 baht seems ok even if already quite expensive.. You run out of luck and he turns onto pattaya Klang, bang 10 baht plus bahtbus change.. You end up paying a ticket 2-3 times one way to get to your destination and then same can happen going back. It was about ok when the fare was 5 baht but at 10 baht a pop it doesn't really make any sense to use them except if you are expecting to get highly intoxicated. I rather walk than use this ripoff replacement joke of a public transport system sick.gif

Edited by yoslim
  • Like 1

But of course its not practical to REGULARLY walk Jomtien-Pattaya.

Yes sometimes a 10 baht fare to your destination turns into 30. No, even 30 isn't so expensive. Annoying though, the unpredictability about what the drivers might do though.

Expense is only one factor in the transport choices people make anyway.

I agree it isn't exactly a "real" public transport service in the international standards sense of well organized, well regulated, etc. But it is something if you're near a route and mostly go near a route.

Yes I've said it before, but it is so clear the powers that be here are dropping the ball on a transport system. Talking about an integrated system as in any modern city. Small buses (ready and waiting!). Big buses. Real metered taxis. OK, streetcars, monorails, subways are nice pipe dreams but START with the basics. That basic easy step would be a major upgrade to the desirability of Pattaya as a place to live and visit. On paper, they're going for a world class urban beach resort. Sorry, that can't ever be without the basic public transport issue dealt with.

Now about that OPERA house ?!? w00t.gif

Edited by Jingthing

Pattaya Mail headline 24th Feb 2012 (11 month ago):

Stricter disciplinary measures for rogue baht bus drivers coming in “4 to 5 months”

Penalties proposed were 500-2000Baht fine, report to Department of Land Transport and permanent termination of permit. To report call : 081-9838-716, 038-423-554 and the office will investigate the driver and, if necessary, dole out punishment.

Pattaya Mail story here:

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/stricter-disciplinary-measures-for-rogue-baht-bus-drivers-coming-in-4-to-5-months-10385

Not sure what the outcome of this was but the result, or lack there of, is evident. This is a public service, contracted and regulated by City Hall and Department of Land Transport to provide the public with a transportation service within the city. We are just a minority complaining, it would probably be much more effective if the Thai population of Pattaya complained as well as they are the big losers in this mess.

Am I right, the meter taxies were brought into Pattaya after the years of complaints about the baht bus monopolistic charter fees?

In my view, the fake taxi meters were brought in by the baht bus "cooperative" as a defense against any slim chance of there ever being any competition to their public transport monopoly. Of course the fake taxi meters are owned by the baht bus cooperative. Approved by city hall. Amazing Pattaya. The press when they first started was that they were going to be real Bangkok style taxi meters and they would use the meters, but they never announced the actual meter fare structure, which was a big clue. I do wonder if this fake taxi meter scheme was sold to the city as being REAL taxi meters or whether the truth of what it would be was fully known from the start. I tried a number of times during the early months to get one to use a meter and they all shoved me off. A few confirmed the cars actually do have meters. They are just not used. So what they ending up being are an alternative higher priced (because aircon) charter service, the big money ending up in the ... same place. Mission accomplished.

BTW, one friendly driver once told me that many would like to use the meters as they would work more and do more business rather than WAITING for fares most of the day. But he told me absolutely they were FORBIDDEN from doing that.

Edited by Jingthing

Phuket is trying to break the taxi mafia monopoly. It will be interesting to see how this works out. Not quite the same situation as we have in Pattaya but it's a fight between the public interest and the mafia, same as here.

Phuket is trying to break the taxi mafia monopoly. It will be interesting to see how this works out. Not quite the same situation as we have in Pattaya but it's a fight between the public interest and the mafia, same as here.

http://www.thaivisa....nsport-barrier/

I have a dream...when you can get a taxi here in Pattaya just like you can in Bangkok. OK, it's a dream....

I think I read they were trying this in Chiang Rai? Not sure, but I think I read it's a mixed success.

Change happens, and not all change is for good. To see the baht bus decline is sad, and my guess is it will be increasing trend in the comming years that you pay 200 baht to get from jomtien to pattaya. It is a reaction to the increased number of tourists - and expats living in the area.

Now, prices is one thing, but the traffic in pattaya is also getting worse. It might be jomtienski, but pattaya is gridlock city now.

In a functioning city a rail based public transport system would be implemented. Hopefully the gridlocks will force some sort of monorail to be built in pattaya/jomtien sometime the next 10 years. My guess is that Jinthing would bury his nostaligia and use a monorail system while the baht buses where relegated to local traffic.

Many years ago a system was introduced where all the baht busses (700 then) were color coded with a green, red or blue sign in the window. Only the green (100) busses were allowed to use beach road, to ease congestion. The other busses were to go other routes. As always the baht bus drivers did not like to do what they were told and nothing came out of this scheme.

I would like to see a new color coding where half the baht busses going from South Pattaya to Jomtien had a code for going via Pratumnak rd and the other going via Thappraya rd.

As the current problem is all about money I think much of it would solve itself if baht busses were allowed to charge 20baht per person going from South Pattaya to Jomtien, or anywhere inbetween. This fee could be in effect only night time, say 7PM to 4AM. This way they could make as much money, or more, running regular fares compared to doing nothing for hours waiting for a charter.

In the end no system will work unless City Hall and Department of Land Transport monitor and enforce the system with stiff penalties.

I don't think doubling the fare would solve a thing. They would just double the charter prices and do the same thing. Human greed knows no limits and I speak from experience being a human. There needs to be top level organized oversight, real rules, and real enforcement. Yes kick the violators out of the business.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't think doubling the fare would solve a thing.

Neither do I. 10B is adequate.

I still haven't had any first-hand experience of this problem but if the problem does exist then it can only be solved by action from City Hall.

Gosh I hate to sound like a troll, but without "haven't had any first hand experience", how can anyone claim they know 10B is adequate (for the operators). Would not knowledge of what is adequate require a cost analysis of annual (not just one season) baht bus operating costs vs baht bus revenue / customer usage?