Using Atm's Throughout South East Asia

spacedcowboy

Hi

Could someone advise me, I'm looking at travelling a year around South East Asia.

I would like to be able to use my ATM cards during the 1 year duration I bank with Santander in the UK.

What do I need to be aware of?

Is the most practical approach to accessing money during a year of travelling?

Any suggestion warmly welcomed.

I have some experiences over Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia and the Philippines. All normal ATM cards, mean credit, debit and only for electonic use work properly. Also a card from the Swiss Postfinance. The only difference here are the amount they charge. Usual ca. 4 Euro .. Thailand 150 THB, Indonesia 50'000 Rupia etc.! So take rather big amount that small few times more, the charge is same independing of amount (can be from ATM to ATM different) and the max. amount per transaction per 24 hours. Don't use ATM in dark or suspect places because of manipulating of card reader etc. Best is use the ATM installed in or at the bank or in hotels and comestobles! In Thailand some modern ATM give up to 25'000 THB per 24hrs (with Thai card several times more) and same in Vietnam with max 900'000 VND. Good luck.

• Like 2

I am in Indo several times a year and never in my life I was charged 50K IDR or any other local fee for a withdrawal.

Last time I was there was in Nov 2012.

That must be a very very recent (nasty) development if that's really true.

As for Thailand, easy to check the locations of the famous AEON-ATM's which don't rip you off.

The latest recent addition to the (rather limited) AEON ATM-network is the one at the basement floor of TERMINAL 21 - MALL at ASOK.

Ask Papa GOOGLE about AEON THAILAND and you will be rewarded.....

In the Philippines, CITIBANK and HSBC are the only ones that don't charge the 200 Piso fee.

Plus both banks allow large withdrawals that can be - depending on the location - up to 40K per withdrawal.

Unfortunately both banks have a very limited network, and particularly CITIBANK closed several branches just recently.

Again, Papa GOOGLE will help you when searching for it.....

In Indonesia, ANZ from NewZealand has some ATMs, again not exactly a very wide network. But there is one ANZ ATM at the international arrival area of Cengkareng Airport, past the immigration on the right side just before you arrive at the Luggage-belts-area.

while most local ATMs don't allow more than 1.250.000 IDR (usually 25 bills), or 2.000.000 if they spit out the rather inconvenient 100.000 bills, ANZ allows larger amounts. If I remember that right I was able to withdraw 4.000.000 from that machine at Cengkareng a few years ago.

• Like 1

Why mess about with ATM and extra fees etc, unless its outside business hours. My advice, go into any bank with your card and passport and do it over the counter,safer cheaper and no atm scams to worry about.Santander need to be told every 3 months,abiut overseas use or your card will be blocked.

• Like 2

Don't use ATM's in crowded locations, like JJ Market or shopping malls. Rare, but there are instances of electronically intercepting your info, then using it to clean you out.

Also, put a low daily limit on withdrawals that you can live with.

Have options.

Don't use ATM's in crowded locations, like JJ Market or shopping malls. Rare, but there are instances of electronically intercepting your info, then using it to clean you out.

Have options.

IF you don't use AEON than consider the fees at each "LOW" withdrawls ..eg.... instead 10'000 THB in once 10 x 1'000 = 1500 THB fees!!! make nonsense! and risk get a manipulated ATM 10 times more wai2.gif

Have options.

IF you don't use AEON than consider the fees at each "LOW" withdrawls ..eg.... instead 10'000 THB in once 10 x 1'000 = 1500 THB fees!!! make nonsense! and risk get a manipulated ATM 10 times more wai2.gif

Uh, well, yeah, but I noticed your post first, assumed it was accurate and the OP would follow such good advice, then added my two cents worth as briefly as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment I satay in Vietnam and have to correct my post as I said max. by ATM is 900.000 VND .... it is 9.000.000 VND per 24 hours on few international Bank ATM and others start from 2.000.000 or 5.000.000 VND max. per 24 hrs.!!!! Charge is different between 20.000 and max 50.000 VND = ca. 1 to 2.5 US-$

• Like 1

I have some experiences over Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia and the Philippines. All normal ATM cards, mean credit, debit and only for electonic use work properly. Also a card from the Swiss Postfinance. The only difference here are the amount they charge. Usual ca. 4 Euro .. Thailand 150 THB, Indonesia 50'000 Rupia etc.! So take rather big amount that small few times more, the charge is same independing of amount (can be from ATM to ATM different) and the max. amount per transaction per 24 hours. Don't use ATM in dark or suspect places because of manipulating of card reader etc. Best is use the ATM installed in or at the bank or in hotels and comestobles! In Thailand some modern ATM give up to 25'000 THB per 24hrs (with Thai card several times more) and same in Vietnam with max 900'000 VND. Good luck.

I can add Malaysia.

But I had a few times in both Malaysia and Thailand when it did not work for any reason.....so don't rely only on it.

Avoid the 150 baht fee in Thailand by using AEON Bank ATM machines.

and if you use visa/mastercard debit cards press the credit button and you wont get charged overseas transaction charges by your home bank.
  • Like 1

My experience of walking into Nat West and Royal Bank of Scotland in the UK to advise of ATM usage in SE Asia was met with a response that they cannot guarantee in advance, even if you're telling them in writing, that it wont be declined on first use.......

They claim their automated systems will immediately spot an usual transaction and block.

Total Joke.......

Now the Halifax so often maligned has no such issue and when your card gets renewed you can go into a branch and tell them the Card may be used right up to its expiry date in Thailand etc, and no problem..........

Edited by Chivas

I am from the UK and bank with Santander as well as .

Do not under any circumstance attempt to use your card in Thailand without first telling your bank you are leaving the UK. Heres why :

1. Santander will cancel the card. That means even if you phone the UK and speak to the bank, they will cancel the card automatically and re-issue a new one and a new pin number.

2. If you ring them first, then every 7 days you need to tell where you are in Thailand and confirm the card has not been compromised.

3. Watch out for cash machines, make sure they dont have any camera attached that can capture your PIN number. A common scam is to make out your card has been retained and then empty your account.

4. Take travellers cheques, they are insured and hard to bank for the criminals, so they tend to leave them alone.

5. Take more than one card per account if you must use ATM machines.

If i where you i would take two or three different cards, and a Credit card. I had my card stopped a few years ago because they bank though it had been cloned, although I did tell them about where i would be for a few months. It left me 8000miles from home with no money, I learned after that to take a few cards.

• Like 1

If i where you i would take two or three different cards, and a Credit card. I had my card stopped a few years ago because they bank though it had been cloned, although I did tell them about where i would be for a few months. It left me 8000miles from home with no money, I learned after that to take a few cards.

excellent advice for everyone traveling.