Non-Immigrant O-A Visa

I'm sure these questions have been answered many times, but I could not find the answers through the forum search.

OK, this is my situation. I am a U.S. citizen, recently retired, and am well over 50 years old. I inquired at the Royal Thai Consulate in Mongomery, AL about a 90-day Non-Immigrant "O-A" Visa and was told there is no such thing. (I do not meet the requirements for an "O" Visa, by the way.) They indicated that I have to apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa Category "O-A" (Long Stay). My problem is that, since I am recently retired from the U.S. Govt, I have no way to document my retirement annuity (which will meet the 65,000 Baht per month requirement) because I have not yet received an annuity payment. In addition, I currently do not have the dollar equivalent of 800,000 Baht in a bank account.

I was thinking about applying for a Tourist Visa then converting that to an "O-A" Visa when I get to Thailand. Within a month or so, I should have the required documentation to prove my annuity income. Is that feasible/possible? Also, if I do go that route, do I have to have a round trip ticket in order to, first apply for the Tourist Visa, and secondly, board the aircraft to Thailand?

Any help with these questions would be appreciated.

Bob

O-A Visas can only be issued in your own Country.

If you cannot get a Non Imm O Visa then it is possible with a Tourist Visa.

Providing you show that you qualify for 12 month extension for retirement you can convert to a Non Imm O Visa at Immigration in Thailand.

You might have to go to Bangkok to do this. 2,000 Baht fee.

After 60 days you can then apply for the 12 months extension. 1,900 Baht fee.

Proof of financials are need. Letter from your Embassy if using pension. Letter from Thai bank if using bank balance.

or you can use a combination of both.

A medical and police report are not needed.

It would all be easier if you can enter with a Non Imm O Visa.

Try a friendlier Consulate. I.E Portland

12 Month Extension

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more

than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

You should get a single entry non immigrant O visa. If Montgomery won't issue try one of the other honorary consulates listed here. http://thaiembdc.us/wordpress1/

Portland has been reported as being helpful.

Once you get here you on the visa. You can apply for and extension of stay during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry. To prove your income you will need to get an income affidavit from the US embassy. Info: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html

You will not need to prove income to them but may need to show some back up proof to immigration. A bank book from a Thai bank showing incoming transfers should be enough for this.

whistling.gif

You won't be able to convert to an O-A visa in Thailand.

O-A visas are only available in your home country or in your case the U.S.

Now you probably CAN get a non immigrant O visa (not an O-A but an O).

You can then extend that O in Thailand for a year at a time if you meet the financial requirements.

You will have to do 90 day reporting with that extension, but that's usually not a big problem.

OR you can wait for month or so until you get proof of your annuity, and then go for the O-A.

If you do decide to wait for the O-A you will also need to have a doctors check and a local Police Records Check for the O-A in addition to the other financial and such documents you will also need for the O in Thailand.

At any rate you shoudn't have to worry about a return tticket, because almost always that problem is only for those who travel without a visa.... if you can show a valid visa to Thailand the airlines won't bother you.

Also, just by the way, the requirement to travel without a visa is never a retuen ticket as a requirement, it is only a ticket out of Thailand (to anywhere) after that 30 day stamp you get on arrival without a visa.

Any kind of visa, even a 60 day single entry tourist visa will make the airlines happy to let you board.

The advantage of an O.A. visa versus an O visa is that you get one year from an O.-A on arrival in Thailand immeadiately.

O-A visas are not normally issued for a 90 day period, because you get that one year stay on arrival in Thailand.

However, they cost more to get in the U.S.

Anyway, how "well past 50 are you?" Do you qualify for Social Security?

If so, you should file for that FIRST.

Although they will tell you you'll have no problem fileing here in Thailand through the embessy and /oe through the Phillipines fiekd office, you're very likely to experience delays when you do.

So, if you do qualify, file for Social Security benefis BEFORE you leave the U.S. or expect delays,

Been there, got the (dirty and sweat stained) T-shirt.

whistling.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

He is a retired US government employee and has not paid social security. Unless he has worked someplace other than the gov and earned enough points to get SS.

I applied for and got my SS done here. The approval letter was dated less than two weeks after telephone interview with SS officer in the PI.

whistling.gif

You won't be able to convert to an O-A visa in Thailand.

O-A visas are only available in your home country or in your case the U.S.

Now you probably CAN get a non immigrant O visa (not an O-A but an O).

You can then extend that O in Thailand for a year at a time if you meet the financial requirements.

You will have to do 90 day reporting with that extension, but that's usually not a big problem.

OR you can wait for month or so until you get proof of your annuity, and then go for the O-A.

If you do decide to wait for the O-A you will also need to have a doctors check and a local Police Records Check for the O-A in addition to the other financial and such documents you will also need for the O in Thailand.

At any rate you shoudn't have to worry about a return tticket, because almost always that problem is only for those who travel without a visa.... if you can show a valid visa to Thailand the airlines won't bother you.

Also, just by the way, the requirement to travel without a visa is never a retuen ticket as a requirement, it is only a ticket out of Thailand (to anywhere) after that 30 day stamp you get on arrival without a visa.

Any kind of visa, even a 60 day single entry tourist visa will make the airlines happy to let you board.

The advantage of an O.A. visa versus an O visa is that you get one year from an O.-A on arrival in Thailand immeadiately.

O-A visas are not normally issued for a 90 day period, because you get that one year stay on arrival in Thailand.

However, they cost more to get in the U.S.

Anyway, how "well past 50 are you?" Do you qualify for Social Security?

If so, you should file for that FIRST.

Although they will tell you you'll have no problem fileing here in Thailand through the embessy and /oe through the Phillipines fiekd office, you're very likely to experience delays when you do.

So, if you do qualify, file for Social Security benefis BEFORE you leave the U.S. or expect delays,

Been there, got the (dirty and sweat stained) T-shirt.

whistling.gif

I have found getting a non-imm O in America and converting to retirement visa is the best way to go. Getting an O-A from the Thai embassy is a very big hassle.

Hubby applied to start SS from Chiang Mai and we found the process to be very smooth. It was even possible to set up direct deposit of his check to a U.S. bank account, even though our address is in Thailand, as far as SS is concerned. He handled the application process with Manila by phone and email.

Admittedly, his situation was fairly easy and I could see that if the situation had been more complex, it perhaps would have been harder. He's still married to his first wife, had a very straight-forward employment records, wasn't career gov't or military employee, etc. I have heard stories of it being more difficult if the applicant never divorced a spouse, but has lost touch with him/her, worked for multiple employers or had an employer who wasn't paying into SS when they should have.

O-A Visas can only be issued in your own Country.

If you cannot get a Non Imm O Visa then it is possible with a Tourist Visa.

Providing you show that you qualify for 12 month extension for retirement you can convert to a Non Imm O Visa at Immigration in Thailand.

You might have to go to Bangkok to do this. 2,000 Baht fee.

After 60 days you can then apply for the 12 months extension. 1,900 Baht fee.

Proof of financials are need. Letter from your Embassy if using pension. Letter from Thai bank if using bank balance.

or you can use a combination of both.

A medical and police report are not needed.

It would all be easier if you can enter with a Non Imm O Visa.

Try a friendlier Consulate. I.E Portland

12 Month Extension

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more

than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

"O-A Visas can only be issued in your own Country."

Not to be overly pedantic, but that's not strictly true. I'm an American but got mine in Dubai and before that the Embassy in Islamabad said they could issue me one if/when I was ready to retire. At those times I was working in the UAE and Pakistan, but neither was "my own country."

The Thai consulate in Dubai was quite easy to deal with, although I've heard that the Thai embassy in Abu Dhabi isn't quite so user friendly.

Edited by Suradit69

Thanks to Bob for starting this interesting thread. I'm similarly confused about which visa is best and where to get it.

My situation similar to Bob. I'm 50+, about to retire, and have Thai wife residing near Washington DC. At this point we don't wish to reside full-time in Thailand, but visit for 2-3 months at a time. Is it best to go for the O visa (90 day) from the US? Then when we decide to reside full-time in Thailand go for the O-A visa (12 month) either by applying in the US or converting in Thailand? Or can we go for the 12-month (retiree or spousal) visa from the start even though we will only reside for 2-3 months at a time?

It's a bit confusing so really appreciate any advice from experience.

I'd say forget about O visas for the moment! Worry about that later IF you decide to move to Thailand. For two to three months stays get a tourist visa (60 days) from the D.C. embassy which can be extended one time at Thai immigration in Thailand an additional 30 days. Job done. By tourist visa I do mean a visa, not the automatic 30 day stamp you get with no visa.

Edited by Jingthing

He can also enter on a 30 day visa exempt entry and then get a 60 day extension at immigration (1900 baht) for his short trips. Just need marriage certificate, wife's ID card and house book.

For longer trips he should get the non-o based upon marriage which could also be extended for 60 days.

He has to fly from USA so that might not be a good plan as airline might require a ticket out within those 30 days - easy enough for him to obtain a non immigrant visa to cover up to 90 days and not any more expensive than alternatives.

Yeah, I hadn't considered the ease of getting a single entry (90 day stay) O visa based on Thai wife when I suggested a tourist visa. The single entry O sounds like the plan. If you actually make the decision to retire in Thailand, that's an easy way to start as well. At that time, if that happens, it would be wise to consider the pros and cons of the O-A visa vs. starting with extensions on Thailand from an O. But no need to stress about that until the actual decision is made.

Edited by Jingthing

I am utterly confused with these various visas. For several years now i have been using the Non imm "O" visa (15mths stay in LOS), but am being told that i would be better off with a retirement visa (12 months stay in LOS) the advantage over the "O" visa being no visa runs. Which should i take next time ? Although it can be inconvienent at times and an added expense, i dont really mind the opportunity to travel from time to time.

My situation similar to Bob. I'm 50+, about to retire, and have Thai wife residing near Washington DC. At this point we don't wish to reside full-time in Thailand, but visit for 2-3 months at a time.

I was in the same boat -- living in Alexandria, VA -- with several 2-3 month visits to Thailand per year. Optimum visa was the Non Imm 'O' multiple entry, valid for one year (forget the single entry Non Imm O, as it would only get you one trip to Thailand, and that trip would have to occur within 3-months of issue date).

And, don't go in person to the Embassy (I could throw a rock across the Potomac and hit the Embassy. But going in person meant two trips -- dropoff and pickup -- plus traffic and parking hassle). Use the mail instead -- and I recommend using the Houston honorary consulate, based on my many dealings with them. (If you didn't have a Thai wife, I'd recommend Portland, which has excellent reviews of their service -- and is less picky than Houston regarding the wifey connection, at least for retirement-eligible).

Send an email to Houston at the below address, with a description of your situation, and a request for their application package.

[email protected]

I found USPS Priority Mail, certified both ways, worked just fine. Having my passport with new visa returned directly to my door sure beat driving to Georgetown for a second time.

If spending the majority of time (or more than 90 days at a time) in Thailand getting the extension is certainly the best option. No need for a border run if you are staying more than 90 days.

You can get the extension during last 30 days of any of your 90 day entries from your multiple entry visa if you can meet the financial requirements (800K baht in bank for 60 days or 65K income).

Edited by ubonjoe

Why do some posters suggest a complex way to enter thailand ''come on a 30 day visa exempt entry and convert/get extension'' ( run the risk of not be able to board airline)

if you are coming for 90 days and you qualify get the correct visa a non immigrant 'o', a one off postal or personel visit to consulate in home country,

if you are coming for 60 days or longer than 90 days, or do not qualify for a non immigrant 'o' then get a tourist visa either single, double or three entry, and any extensions locally where required.

Get the correct visa before leaving your home country, as you would if entering a western country that requires visa's. too many people here sailing close to the wind, visa wise