2013 All Food Related.restaurants,recipes, Suggestions Etc...

I tried the newish seafood restaurant in Bangrak the other day, called Daetong Seafood, close to the ghost road entrance. Very nice, good setting on the beach, friendly attentative ( but not overly) staff and was verry happy with all the seafood. Prices all very reasonable too.

Then for a different evening out went to Bubba's in Chaweng. Overall very disapointing, wont be going back there again.

Ate there as well, actually very big, approx. 150 seats which you don't notice from main road. Food okay, fresh, not overly tasty, and due to long way from kitchen to beach not really hot.

Tiger Prawns 700 Baht for 1/2 kg......I prefer the taste of Jun Hom in Bang Por, but its also slightly more expensive.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhat is expensive. Is there anywhere you can get for 1000 a kilo nowadays?

Recenly on Lanta I paid that....after haggli.g a bit from 1200.

A few rats at my place. Free if you can catch them.wink.png

Sorry - but what is Rhat?

Google did not help

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=rhat&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

http://www.rhat.org/

• Like 1

Found an excellent humble Burmese restaurant on Soi Haad Ngam in Chaweng.

Going south from PTK residence, it's the first shop on the second block on the right.

Excellent Burmese noodles, soup and tea for 30 baht.

No menu and you have to order in Burmese.

Luckily I have a wife that speaks the lingo.

Probably you can order in Thai also wink.png

Went to the same place alone today.

Managed to get Chicken Biryani and cabbage soup for 50 baht.

The real stuff, not what get served in touristy Indian restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new favourite. smile.png

There is a newish place on the Laem Din road. Coming from the Chaweng Beach road, you carry on until you see two Seven Eleven shops on the right hand side in extremely close proximity to each other. Just after that is the Rung Thiam(my translation is probably rubbish) restaurant.

Looks like the usual roadside restaurant, but they appear have a proper chef in situ. He came back from Krungthep to help the family with their venture. So the meals are tasty and well presented. The prices are good. One plates meals are 50 baht. Separate dishes from 60 baht. Tasty, tasty, very tasty.

Don't just take my word for it, give it a try. Chef is a small and young looking guy with a moustache.

IMG_20130213_00337.jpg

• Like 1

I've passed it a couple of times and it seems to be bustling day and night.

Their clientele seems to all be migrants.

I definitely must try it out.

Found an excellent humble Burmese restaurant on Soi Haad Ngam in Chaweng.

Going south from PTK residence, it's the first shop on the second block on the right.

Excellent Burmese noodles, soup and tea for 30 baht.

No menu and you have to order in Burmese.

Luckily I have a wife that speaks the lingo.

Probably you can order in Thai also wink.png

Went to the same place alone today.

Managed to get Chicken Biryani and cabbage soup for 50 baht.

The real stuff, not what get served in touristy Indian restaurants.

Tam's restaurant (opposite World Gym on the ring road - near the lights to Laem Din market) has a huge advert outside - HD Burger.

I have no idea what it is, if they still do it, or if it is any good! But it is a huge sign of a burger!

Oh well - I think that I'll go for an Indian.

HD burgers belong to Herbert of visa run fame.Just opened in Nathon.

Back to proper Burgers.

Try Bubbas.

I found them very good.

nod, what were the prices like?

By the way, if anyone likes frozen margaritas, Bubbas is the place for you. They have an extensive menu dedicated to them, most are only 99 baht, and rather strong.

Sorry. Can't actually remember, but to be honest I don't mind paying more for quality, if you know what I mean.

Are there any restaurants serving Dutch food on the island?

There is an 'orange' restaurant just as you come into Chewang from Choengmon. On the right, just after Nora Resort (on the laft). I am sure that there is a Dutch restaurant/bar/guesthouse.

Also - there was one on a side street just before Zicos (Chewang) heading south. Big African BBQ place on the right side of the road - look down the sidestreets.

If the beers get sorted this could be the best chilli of 2013 on Samui.....

post-78923-0-12040200-1358778914_thumb.p

biggrin.png

You would find it hard to beat the chilli Sweeney Todds used to make

Very true....their chilli was superb.

Mine is a different style....maybe you will get the chance to try it sometime....biggrin.png

I just ate at this place. The food is good and prices are same as everywhere. 50 bt for fried rice.

I asked the chef about his speciality and he recommended fried white perch with fish sauce. He also recommended various Thai spicy salads ยำ and ลาบ but I'm not into these kinds of food.

What is special about this place is that they have a bit more exotic meats such as crocodile, mutton, frog, quail and boar which can be prepared according to your wishes, fried, curry etc.

I will definitely have to try out these meats later. Fortunately it's right outside my place.

They open from 6 PM to 6 in the morning. Perfect when I'm up late and need something to eat in the middle of the night.

I have a new favourite. smile.png

There is a newish place on the Laem Din road. Coming from the Chaweng Beach road, you carry on until you see two Seven Eleven shops on the right hand side in extremely close proximity to each other. Just after that is the Rung Thiam(my translation is probably rubbish) restaurant.

Looks like the usual roadside restaurant, but they appear have a proper chef in situ. He came back from Krungthep to help the family with their venture. So the meals are tasty and well presented. The prices are good. One plates meals are 50 baht. Separate dishes from 60 baht. Tasty, tasty, very tasty.

Don't just take my word for it, give it a try. Chef is a small and young looking guy with a moustache.

IMG_20130213_00337.jpg

• Like 1

Are there any dedicated burger restaurants around Samui?

I've just been watching Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares where he sorted out this burger kitchen in L.A. and now I have a craving for a real nice burger.

edit - and I dont mean Burger King or McDonald's biggrin.png

You should rly try out the Bondi Burger! Located in Lamai and Chaweng Beach Road. Best one i've ever tried!

Good Chiang Mai Noodles (khao soi) in Samui anywhere?

There was one one the ring road, Chaweng but they have closed. :(

The food court at government hospital in Nathon had it last time I was there.

• 2 weeks later...
Judo Chop)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 52 posts

Posted Today, 14:39

Howdy,

I tend to stay in Bophut when I visit Samui on vacation. Haven't been back since Feb 2011 and it's probably likely that things have changed in that time in the FV.

eg: one restaurant closes, another opens. We are looking forward to returning to Samui in June.

On previous visits, we have eaten at The Shack, Krua, Happy Elephant, Red Moon, H-Bistro (this was the standout meal on our last trip but quite pricey)

I am keen to know what everyone's favourite Fisherman's Village restaurant is and would be grateful for any other Bophut area recommendations, to add to the list.

BTW, I have already read this http://samui.thaivis...staurant-guide/

Thanks.

OK.... Here we go! In Maenam for great Indian food...

Babu's Indian Hot, Soi Maenam Resort Road...100 metres down on right. Turn at Family Mart toward the sea. (Near the big sign near Santi Buri Resort (headed toward Nathon) ...

Open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner... Also does delivery to home or resort. .... Nathon to Bophut..... Drop by and pick up a menu! Free Wifi too!

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

Angela's Diner.... Ring Road, Corner of Soi 2 Maenam, near the Police station. 7 -11 on corner ........ New red sign (no longer yellow!!!!)

Good food for breakfast and lunch. from 7.30 am to about 4 pm.

Along with the restaurant she also makes great pies and bread and cakes to order... (best to order in advance so as to know which days she's making different items... ) If required they will text a message when things are available! .... Bread is usually made Friday or Saturday.... (that could change... so best to stop by and find out! ) thumbsup.gif

• Like 1