New Gym In Chalong

pagallim

Passing by this afternoon, noticed a new gym, Elite Fitness, nearing completion on Chaofa Road West, about 3 or 400 metres to the north of Home Pro Village (on the same side). Had a look inside, and though not complete by any means, a very comprehensive range of equipment installed so far for sure, and separate halls for yoga/aerobics etc. An employee who was there couldn't be definitive, but thought that it's going to open circa 15th February, with monthly fees of around 2300/2400 baht, with discounts for couples/groups.

I'd say that the (fitness) equipment is at least 80% complete. There has to be around 10 or 12 running machines, each with their own flat screen TV in front. The equipment is all high end also, somebody is spending a lot of money on this place.

I'd say that the (fitness) equipment is at least 80% complete. There has to be around 10 or 12 running machines, each with their own flat screen TV in front. The equipment is all high end also, somebody is spending a lot of money on this place.

Considering that their prices are much higher than other gyms in the area their equipment had better be 100% new and state of the art.

I heard there was going to be a new gym opening early this year in Patong. I'm sure I heard Patong, not Chalong. It think it was going to be down the end of Beach Road somewhere. Apparently, it was going to be the biggest and the best on the island. Does anyone know if it eventuated?

Edited by NamKangMan

I heard there was going to be a new gym opening early this year in Patong. I'm sure I heard Patong, not Chalong. It think it was going to be down the end of Beach Road somewhere. Apparently, it was going to be the biggest and the best on the island. Does anyone know if it eventuated?

The biggest one, on the Island, isn't that still Club Asia?

And the best one, wasn't that the one, close to central? With extra locker, toilet and shower for the 3. gender?

Or was it in Chalong, the Chalong Gym? During the time, Corey was already on the move, but still collecting membership fees for the next year?

whistling.gif

Edited by noob7

The biggest one, on the Island, isn't that still Club Asia?

And the best one, wasn't that the one, close to central? With extra locker, toilet and shower for the 3. gender?

Or was it in Chalong, the Chalong Gym? During the time, Corey was already on the move, but still collecting membership fees for the next year?

whistling.gif

I dont know the exact sqm on the main gym floor in either Club Asia or Thanyaphura (Academy) However Academy is much bigger all facilities included. Club Asia do their marketing mostly to the local Thai marked where I believe Thanypura are directed more to International athletes/teams which want and need to do some of their training in a warm climate when many parts of the world are covered in snow plus of course local athletes and foreigners who want it all under one "roof"

Club Asia is ~ 1000sqm, all together, mostly Thai customers. nice ladies in there!

And of course, Thanyaphura is much bigger, in total.

But that isn't a Gym. The Gym is only a little part of it!

Edited by noob7

They already have the same gym in phuket town on the bypass. Owner actually worksout. Best gym on the island, even better than Royal phuket marina.

Also for you old fools, the working girl and fitness members at the gym are way better lookers than at club asia

They already have the same gym in phuket town on the bypass. Owner actually worksout. Best gym on the island, even better than Royal phuket marina.

Also for you old fools, the working girl and fitness members at the gym are way better lookers than at club asia

Gyms are a hit or miss business. Some do great but most fail. Im guessing this will be another white elephant.

Gyms only survive on memberships.

The big one just south of Central Festival didn't last long.

Location, location, location!

(And price, price, price)

monthly fees of around 2300/2400 baht

cheesy.gif

I'd rather go run up a hill - better air, better views, not so many - i.e. zero - hookers.

Basically agree with you, but the thing is when you have get a few dogbites you dont choose any hill in Phuket.

Gyms are a hit or miss business. Some do great but most fail. Im guessing this will be another white elephant.

Yes plus qualified staff who last more than a month and is seriously interested in Fitness. IME the Thai fitness marked expect more of a social athmosphere than gym goers in the west who mostly come for an effective workout and thats it.

Yes plus qualified staff who last more than a month and is seriously interested in Fitness. IME the Thai fitness marked expect more of a social athmosphere than gym goers in the west who mostly come for an effective workout and thats it.

Yes, just a freelancer's hang-out.

Edit:

...which is OK if you're looking for freelancers...

Edited by JetsetBkk

cheesy.gif

I'd rather go run up a hill - better air, better views, not so many - i.e. zero - hookers.

Basically agree with you, but the thing is when you have get a few dogbites you dont choose any hill in Phuket.

Hills = walking = nordic-walking1.jpg

= Thai dogs scared

Edited by noob7

cheesy.gif

The hill that I go up has very friendly dogs. And the puppies are cute:

They're just as boisterous after they've grown up:

Edited by JetsetBkk

Lets speculate here.

I suspect they would be paying 100k plus a month for the premises. A simple townhouse/shop on across the road from it are 25k a month.

Staff they would need 10 minimum @ 10-12k a month to be conservative.

So overheads are already over 200k

You'll need 100 people paying the 2400 baht a month just to cover the over heads.

I just don't see it lasting.

• Like 1

Lets speculate here.

I suspect they would be paying 100k plus a month for the premises. A simple townhouse/shop on across the road from it are 25k a month.

Staff they would need 10 minimum @ 10-12k a month to be conservative.

So overheads are already over 200k

You'll need 100 people paying the 2400 baht a month just to cover the over heads.

I just don't see it lasting.

Surprised you are so rich then. The phuket town branch had 100~ subscribers after a week being opened.

Every free class with membership brings about 15 different person. There's a million people living on the island. A lot of them are thais with salaries above 25k/month that spend 3-5k on food for 3 people each month. Leaves them way enough for a membership of 1900 (1 year contract)

add to that the wealthy people who signup for 1 year and only come 2months then drop their deposit. They must have at least 20-30 of those each month. Also add to that the revenu from tanning/food/massage. It'll be good money.

Personal anecdote. They opened a small gym near my house. About 60sqm. After a week they had 35 sign ups (1200-1600 p/m). Barely anything to work out with and no ACs.

Edited by bearpolar

Glad some are so positive and I hope it does well. I just can't see it.

Million people on the island is only for a few months per year. Its half that during the rest of the year.

Lets do a thaivisa poll, how many thaivisa members from this forum will be joining up at elite fitness chalong?

I know I won't and haven't heard anyone in this thread saying they will with great anticipation.

I've recently let my previous gym membership lapse, so will probably give this one a month's trial before committing to anything longer. Certainly the equipment looks comprehensive, but the changing areas/showers/toilets need to be of a high standard also.

• Like 1

Fitness trends are changing all the time so I believe is tough to keep on top in the business. Following ACSM you can consider your self a trendsetter if you swear by curls,pullups,crunches and other low-maintenance workouts because strength training and body-weight training is among the most popular fitness trends for 2013 and not to forget that the fitness industry itself se it overly important to obtain certification for their staff. Slim is not enough anymore it shall be muschles with a function, and very effective workouts.

I've recently let my previous gym membership lapse, so will probably give this one a month's trial before committing to anything longer. Certainly the equipment looks comprehensive, but the changing areas/showers/toilets need to be of a high standard also.

The one on the by pass has shower/locker rooms up par with a 5 star hotel

https://www.facebook...?ref=ts&fref=ts

main facebook page

There's even a Projector with a Wii console in the locker rooms.

I was a happy customer and will be again once i come back. I tried club asia (3/10) Royal phuket marina (7.5/10) one that closed next to central (4/10) PIA 8.5/10) Smart gym ( 6/10) and id give Elite fitness a 8.5 + 1 for location and a few hot white skinned thai intructors and a bunch of fitness chick members to look at.

Right now in farangland all i see is juice head with too much gel on their hair. sad.png

580987_433227083388735_97847337_n.jpg

Edited by bearpolar

Nai Harn Gym is planning further expansion and increasing the size of their CV and weights sections. Fees are reasonable and the gym is well kept. Having gone there for the last two years I don't think ill change even though this new place is much closer to home.

Nai Harn Gym is planning further expansion and increasing the size of their CV and weights sections. Fees are reasonable and the gym is well kept. Having gone there for the last two years I don't think ill change even though this new place is much closer to home.

Great if you're happy with a gym, and the location isn't too much of a bind to get to. Nai Harn is a little far for me, though for more than a year I did use one of the Smart Gyms in Phuket Town. Pretty much a serious gym with quite a few regulars (none of which fell into anything other than serious exerciser's category). What disappointed there was the lack of maintenance of equipment (lack of tensioning, oiling etc), and within a few days of the beginning of the month, the soap had finished in the changing rooms. That was 1600/month, which seems fairly typical.