Strike Delays Thai Flights

Lite Beer

Strike delays THAI flights

Nongnapas Maipanich,

Theerapol Khumsuk

The Nation on Sunday

30198269-01_big.jpg

Ground staff of Thai Airways International go on strike at a building inside the Suvarnabhumi Airport compound yesterday demanding higher bonuses and salary increases.

BANGKOK: -- Airline cannot pay higher bonus, pay hike, says chairman

Thai Airways International (THAI) was hit by flight delays and passenger complaints yesterday as a strike by the national carrier's staff entered its second day.

Hundreds of THAI employees are demanding salary increases and bigger bonuses. However, THAI chairman Ampon Kittiampon said yesterday the firm was unable to meet their demands, as the airline operator needed funds to pay dividends and debts, and to make investments.

In response to Ampon's explanation, the leader of THAI's labour union staging the strike called on Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to have Ampon removed. THAI could make a profit without him, she said.

THAI's domestic flights at Suvarnabhumi Airport were delayed by 15-20 minutes yesterday as some staff members stopped work to join the protest, according to Samat Phum-on, director of the carrier's crisis-management and operations centre.

No flights were cancelled, he said.

It was reported that hundreds of Thai and foreign passengers became upset after being forced to wait longer than usual for their baggage. Monitors at some baggage carousels displayed faulty flight information, causing confusion among the passengers, according to Matichon Online.

Ampon said yesterday that THAI's executive board had approved bonuses totalling Bt1 billion for 2012, with employees receiving one-month bonuses, following a proposal from the management team. The amount was higher than the previous year's bonuses, worth Bt800 million-Bt900 million. The total value of the 2012 bonuses was higher because base salaries had increased, the chairman said.

Moreover, Ampon said, the bonuses accounted for the biggest portion of profit allocation in 2012, exceeding dividend and debt payments as a proportion of profit, as well as investments. The employees were rewarded for helping the company return to profit after posting a loss in the first half of the year, he said.

"The board made a fair decision on bonus payments, and it was the highest payment the company could make. This could be seen from the report to the Stock Exchange of Thailand that the employees' bonuses accounted for the biggest [portion of the firm's profit]," he added. "If THAI paid higher bonuses, there would probably be no money left to pay the company's dividends, debts or investments. We insist that the board has recognised the employees' significance."

Ampon said he would have THAI president Sorajak Kasemsuvan ensure that a "good understanding" was reached among the protesting staff.

About 300 members of THAI's labour union gathered at Suvarnabhumi Airport late Friday to demand the higher bonus and pay. Union chief Chamsri Sukchotirat said THAI employees deserved a bonus of two months' salary, based on Ampon's earlier remark on the airline's satisfactory financial results for 2012. On the same grounds, the union demanded a 7.5-per-cent pay hike.

Ampon had agreed to meet with the protesting employees on Tuesday, but Chamsri said this would be too late and they wanted to meet him earlier.

"He doesn't pay attention to employees' demands. Tuesday is too late. If he lets the problem continue and more flights are delayed, it will reflect his lack of leadership. He does not deserve to be president any more. We want him to quit," she said.

She added that the protesters would not give up their strike.

Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt said he had told Sorajak to take urgent steps to resolve the protests, as he did not want passengers to be affected and foreigners to lose confidence in the country.

"THAI's executives have to consider whether the staff protest violates the laws or the company's employee regulations. It has to take actions if it finds violation," Chadchart added.

Chamsri said the union realised that its action could affect passengers and they apologised to them for any inconvenience.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-20

The previous boss wouldn't have had this issue.

The new one was parachuted in by PTP complete with a Damapong on the board.

Top brass feed from the trough. Workers cannot

As I posted earlier on the state of this airline---last week a regular poster who is in denial to most Thailands probs stated that -the airline had brilliant profits over the last 8 YEARS. I said at the time "where have the profits gone ????....the air safety record was at an all time low, 2nd hand planes were bought from top carriers who no longer need them, usually through age .

Thai have the A380....just wonder if they are on credit or paid for with CASH through the 8 years of profits.

These Thai workers seem to be asking for normal % increases so what is the problem----if paid I also think ---LES PERKS for the VIP hangers on.

Just think of the high prices paid for tickets. example--udon-Bkk Thai7000+ bht return

Air Asia--Nok....3,500. 50 min flight really Thai---you are robbing the customer,

• Like 2

a company in debt paying dividends ????,...............capitalism at its worst ,......i'll have some of that !

Do you understand that stock holders in effect are providing capital for TG?

This capital is usally obtained at a lower cost than funding from financial institutions. If the stock holders do not receive some return on their investment, they will start dumping stock. If stock is dumped, the airline will be impaired. Those stock holders run the range from pension funds, to investment funds to private investors. Do you understand that if the pension funds do not generate a return on their investments, that they will be unable to pay the retirees that collect the pensions? What of the life insurers that invest policy holders money so that there will be funds generated with which to pay claims and future obligations on annuities?

The airline is generating sufficient income that it can justify a small dividend, and the stockholders certainly have a right to a return on their investment. IF TG loses access to the stock market it will be forced to assume higher borrowing costs.when it turns to conventional lenders.

• Like 1

1. The previous boss is the one that was in charge as TG posted some terrible losses. He also was responsible for making a decision to purchase equipment when TG was not generating the profits that could service the debt associated with those purchases

2. The use of the term "parachute" is inappropriate. The current CEO is qualified to be a CEO. At least he understands the fact that the airline must be able to service its debt.

• Like 1

..... Just think of the high prices paid for tickets. example--udon-Bkk Thai7000+ bht return

Air Asia--Nok....3,500. 50 min flight really Thai---you are robbing the customer,

I did a couple of Udon-Bangkok r/t's last week on THAI and the most expensive one was 4100 baht with generous 20kg free bag allowance, fruit juice, sticky bun and fresh coffee thrown in.

Honestly, you shouldn't go making things up.

..... Just think of the high prices paid for tickets. example--udon-Bkk Thai7000+ bht return

I did a couple of Udon-Bangkok r/t's last week on THAI and the most expensive one was 4100 baht with generous 20kg free bag allowance, fruit juice, sticky bun and fresh coffee thrown in.

In other words I am telling porky pies. SORRY I do not make things up. I am telling you that the Udon airport ticket office quoted me the price stated--return.

I went over to Air Asia and booked.

Stuff your fruit juice sticky bun-and 3 in 1 coffee, and I do not need 20 flaming kilos on an internal 50 min flight, of pumped with food. and I flew to BKK NOT swampy, with Thai I would have to get back to city---talk some sense and do not try gaining brownie points from me it DON'T work

I am a Thai member,, but until they get off their <deleted> I will not fly with them, I would very much like to--BUT BUT

Agree, but AA is mostly cheaper than 3,500 too. I paid 2,600 for a return ticket to Udon last week, bought just 4 days ahead of departure. For short trips with carry-on bag only, AA is hard to beat.

In other words I am telling porky pies. SORRY I do not make things up. I am telling you that the Udon airport ticket office quoted me the price stated--return.

Stuff your fruit juice sticky bun-and 3 in 1 coffee, and I do not need 20 flaming kilos on an internal 50 min flight, of pumped with food. and I flew to BKK NOT swampy, with Thai I would have to get back to city---talk some sense and do not try gaining brownie points from me it DON'T work

I am a Thai member,, but until they get off their <deleted> I will not fly with them, I would very much like to--BUT BUT

BKK is Swampy. Don Mueang is DMK. I mostly fly to and from DMK, but not because it's convenient. Getting on the Airport Link from Swampy is by far the most efficient way of getting downtown from any airport in the Bangkok area if there's a bit of traffic.

BKK is Swampy. Don Mueang is DMK. I mostly fly to and from DMK, but not because it's convenient. Getting on the Airport Link from Swampy is by far the most efficient way of getting downtown from any airport in the Bangkok area if there's a bit of traffic.

Sorry for not being correct re Bkk and DMK---but was shortening the name BANGKOK with bkk. Think I had an Idea some clever would pick this up and inform me---The topic is re Thai so pick at them or praise them and not nit picking on things known about.

I will have to learn to be 100% correct when I post or beware of the nit pickers.

In general I always use the version BKK in conversation and writing. Do you think I would board Air Asia to go to Swampy.???

• Like 1

SAVER Change flight/date/Routing with fee/,Non refund, ticket validity 30 days more details ฿4,440.00

SAVER PLUS Change flight/date/Routing with fee/,refundable, ticket validity 90 days more details ฿5,110.00

FLEX SAVER Flexible flight/date/reroutable/,refundable, ticket validity 90 days more details ฿5,440.00

FLEX SAVER PLUS Flexible flight/date/reroutable/,refundable, ticket validity180 days more details ฿5,770.00

FULL FLEX Flexible flight/date/reroutable/,refundable, ticket validity 1 year more details ฿6,440.00

I always book online, saves mixing it with the clueless muppets that hang about ALL the airline 'offices' at UTH.

I heard that even those other airlines are cheaper online.

Chill.

Edited by NanLaew

1. The previous boss is the one that was in charge as TG posted some terrible losses. He also was responsible for making a decision to purchase equipment when TG was not generating the profits that could service the debt associated with those purchases

2. The use of the term "parachute" is inappropriate. The current CEO is qualified to be a CEO. At least he understands the fact that the airline must be able to service its debt.

So how do you explain Damapong?

Sorry for not being correct re Bkk and DMK---but was shortening the name BANGKOK with bkk. Think I had an Idea some clever would pick this up and inform me---The topic is re Thai so pick at them or praise them and not nit picking on things known about.

I will have to learn to be 100% correct when I post or beware of the nit pickers.

In general I always use the version BKK in conversation and writing. Do you think I would board Air Asia to go to Swampy.???

Depends on how wound up you are I guess. You are sort of all over the map at the moment.

I grant you that the AA trolley dollies are younger, pert, fresher....

Edited by NanLaew

#17 NL

Please do not call me a tall story teller one post the come back with strange comments---Talk bleeding sense, the price of Thai is generally higher than most Domestic OR international

What your problem with the fact that it's true. Fly with them up to you but expressing my opinion about the plain facts should not upset you.

I stated their fleet is aged---classed as not so strong on safety--high prices---poor management and big cream off for the big wigs Hense the reason no money----but as Nisa came out with the statistics of them being in profit for years---something does not add up here--now the strike and the CEO said they did not have funds to pay the demands. ????????

I agree, THAI does not have the money to take care of the employees, because all the politicians on the board of directors need more money to put into the special room at the house.

Last good CEO was Mr. Wanglee. 27 years ago. Than it was a good airline which took care of the passengers.

• Like 2

Frequently I fly from Belgium to Morocco with different EU airliners.

It's a 2.5 - 3 hours flight and pay mostley arround 100-125 euro for a single ticket.

Last year flights from BKK to HKT takes 1 hour and prices exploded, befor I paid arround 2500 bht, now average I pay 4000+ bht (102 euro ) single flight with Thai or BKKairways.

Flightcost for an EU airliner ( wages ) are higher then for a Thai airliner.

Conclusion Thai airliners flying from BKK ( not Don Muang ) filling there pockets as they can operate cheaper then EU airliners.

So how do you explain Damapong?

He won't. The only qualiification for a Thai board member is PTP support.

• Like 1

Isn't NOK Air a subsidiary of Thai Air? They're quite cheap and have always been good to fly with. But I've found that prices of tickets vary according to when you book. For example I had to fly my wife internationally and was able to get a business class ticket for only an additional THB6,000 because I could choose a flight that was leaving 24-48 hours from the time I booked the ticker. Personally I'm more concerned about safety than the food served and would happily pay extra to ensure that planes were newer and maintained properly. It's not all about being the cheapest ticket that you can get actually getting there is pretty high on my list of what I want from an airline. I no longer fly Qantas because the number of times their planes have to be turned around. Maybe I'll have to look for an alternative to Thai Air too. Edited by saroq
  • Like 1

THAI employees end strike after salary increase agreed.

By Digital Media

20130120162912-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 20th --- A protest by hundreds of Thai Airways at Suvarnabhumi Airport employees to demand increased salary and Bonus Payments after ENDED THAI board of Director agreed to raise the salary by Maximum Level of 7.5 percent. Negotiation between THAI and After the Meeting. board and representatives of the labour union, the maximum of 7.5 percent salary increase was mutually agreed.

Regarding the demand for a two-month bonus payment, the airline's labour union is scheduled to meet with THAI president Sorajak Kasemsuvan on Monday to learn about the company's performance, on which the bonus payment is based.

Currently, the situation at the Country's main International Airport is back to normal and the Operations Resumed normally have. Strike The LED by the labor Union started on Friday Afternoon (January eighteenth) at Bangkok's main International Airport. The Rally was aimed at calling for the 05/07 percent salary Hike and the Two-Month Bonus. Operations The protest disrupted, delayed and interfered with some luggage Flights Handling, forcing delays at luggage claims. (MCOT online news).

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-01-20

a company in debt paying dividends ????,...............capitalism at its worst ,......i'll have some of that !

Do you understand that stock holders in effect are providing capital for TG?

This capital is usally obtained at a lower cost than funding from financial institutions. If the stock holders do not receive some return on their investment, they will start dumping stock. If stock is dumped, the airline will be impaired. Those stock holders run the range from pension funds, to investment funds to private investors. Do you understand that if the pension funds do not generate a return on their investments, that they will be unable to pay the retirees that collect the pensions? What of the life insurers that invest policy holders money so that there will be funds generated with which to pay claims and future obligations on annuities?

The airline is generating sufficient income that it can justify a small dividend, and the stockholders certainly have a right to a return on their investment. IF TG loses access to the stock market it will be forced to assume higher borrowing costs.when it turns to conventional lenders.

Dividends normally HAVE to be paid out of audited profits and both are subject to corporation tax.

A debt is a liability and is shown as a debit on the balance sheet. Furnishing that debt is a loss on the P&L account so it is possible to be in debt and pay a dividend provided there is a profit.

Income is irrelevant

THAI employees end strike after salary increase agreed.

By Digital Media

20130120162912-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 20th --- A protest by hundreds of Thai Airways at Suvarnabhumi Airport employees to demand increased salary and Bonus Payments after ENDED THAI board of Director agreed to raise the salary by Maximum Level of 7.5 percent. Negotiation between THAI and After the Meeting. board and representatives of the labour union, the maximum of 7.5 percent salary increase was mutually agreed.

Regarding the demand for a two-month bonus payment, the airline's labour union is scheduled to meet with THAI president Sorajak Kasemsuvan on Monday to learn about the company's performance, on which the bonus payment is based.

Currently, the situation at the Country's main International Airport is back to normal and the Operations Resumed normally have. Strike The LED by the labor Union started on Friday Afternoon (January eighteenth) at Bangkok's main International Airport. The Rally was aimed at calling for the 05/07 percent salary Hike and the Two-Month Bonus. Operations The protest disrupted, delayed and interfered with some luggage Flights Handling, forcing delays at luggage claims. (MCOT online news).

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-01-20

I'm sure Yoda had a hand in penning that.

However deformed the syntax, it is becoming abundantly clear that Thailand is becoming a basket case.

Yellow protests topple government

Army guilty of illegal immigrant scan

Police cheating all over the place (good article in BP)

Reds force new elections

DSI now a joke

Push to pardon Thaksin and rioters

Millions of tonnes of rice going to waste

Airline with financial issues paying 7.5% rises

Trickle of promised tablet PCs into classrooms

Capital city with massive traffic issues, millions of new cars

Minimum wages results in hundreds of thousands of job losses

Complete lack of preparation for AEC

Any mention of parachutes should be inappropriate for any airline!

You can fly Thai or fly AA or Bangfkok or Nok or for that matter Orient thai - it is YOUR choice but I agree Thai DOMESTIC has dropped severely in service and fares are NOT cheap.

I fly Bangkok Air for the same or CHEAPEr with Full baggae and service which is good.

AA and Nok are competitve dependant upon your needs for badg or no bag.

Thai International is dropping in service too as I fly about 15 flights a year (yes too many) and some of the CJEAP{ER airlines are giving BEtter deals and more in flight servies and NOT using cruddy old planes like tThai.

People FLY THAI expecting what they were once upn a time not so long ago.. almost Like Singapore Air and now they are worlds apart.

Siorry thai but you have good staff and SHIT planes and rules. And this is from MANY flying hours international and Domestic.

I choose NOT to FLY THAI domestic because it is now so bad even for 1 hour.