If You Rent A Scooter, Make Bloody Well Sure You Have A Licence

scorpio

in udon thani , i,m sure bike for bike more farangs ride without a helmet than thais

they know the chance of police stopping them is small and when cought its only a

200bt fine , without an helmet they can ride around all day showing just how COOL

they are .......

Once you've heard your crash helmet hit the road surface when you come off the bike it for sure reinforces the desire to continue wearing it, before anyone jumps in, yes it was replaced by a new one straight away.

same here got knocked off hit my crash hemet on the ground made sure i got the price of a new 1 in with the insurance payout ,

the thai insurance guy could,nt workout why i wanted an extra 5800 baht for a new helmet when you can buy 1 for 130baht

untill i showed him my old receipt

in udon thani , i,m sure bike for bike more farangs ride without a helmet than thais

they know the chance of police stopping them is small and when cought its only a

200bt fine , without an helmet they can ride around all day showing just how COOL

they are .......

Once you've heard your crash helmet hit the road surface when you come off the bike it for sure reinforces the desire to continue wearing it, before anyone jumps in, yes it was replaced by a new one straight away.

Yep quite right, nothing like being a member of the Honda Flying Club to re enforce the reason for wearing a helmet, and even the cheapies will crack before your skull.

No good looking like a cool dude when you're a dead cool dude!!

• Like 1

You hire the scooter for 200bt on a normal licence because the rental shop owner doesn't care about the law just the tourist income.

You drive down the beach road and get a pull from the police and fined 200bht for having the wrong licence.

Tourists don't complain because it's only 200bht and it's a story to tell when they return home.

Am i reading this correctly?

As anyone on here actually been fined for having the incorrect licence?

You hire the scooter for 200bt on a normal licence because the rental shop owner doesn't care about the law just the tourist income.

You drive down the beach road and get a pull from the police and fined 200bht for having the wrong licence.

Tourists don't complain because it's only 200bht and it's a story to tell when they return home.

Am i reading this correctly?

As anyone on here actually been fined for having the incorrect licence?

Loads of people been fined for not having or having wrong license , only the fine in pattaya is 400 not 200

Bike and car 2 different licenses.

If you showed your international permit for a car it does not automatically translate into bike license.

wearing a helmet is no brainer really, so is driving drunk.

not sure what you mean by the good old days are over?, all the regulations have been in place for decades and always have been randomly enforced.

And what's the name of your high horse?

I suspect your horse goes by the name of Darwin Award.

The Lubrication is of the alcohol variety for the drunk driver who got on his high horse and decided on a different type of lubrication for his new found friend, i'm glad i cleared that up for you.wink.png

This type of scam and injustice should be exposed in the media.clap2.gif

Funnily enough the Thai wife tried to hire a scooter in Patong, the owner laughed and said" those scooter only for farang!"

Although the missus was prepared to pay the daily rate, the owner prefered to have his 20 scooters lined up outside his shop earning nothing. blink.png

Wow, wise up guys. The shop owner won't rent his scooters to Thais? What does that say about his "business model". Do you want to be a part of it?

Some have touched on the real, long term issue raised in this thread -- it's not whether you'll get "caught" without the appropriate license or helmet but what happens when you hit the pavement and don't (unfortunately) die instantly. That rarely seems to happen with the cases brought to my attention -- most are low-speed accidents in Chiang Mai.

The standard insurance you get when renting a motorcycle covers THE MOTORCYLE not you. That's what is of importance to the shop owner. As for you -- well, even if you have a good travel-insurance policy, it won't cover you if you don't have a license for the vehicle you're operating. No insurance, you're going to have a big problem. The Thai public hospitals are full of (mostly young) people with head injuries from motorcycle accidents -- mostly Thai people, of course. I can't understand why it isn't more of a national scandal. The foreigners who end up in these government (charity) wards really have a problem.

The morale is to read your insurance policy carefully, wear your helmet at all times and don't assume because everyone's doing it (i.e. not wearing a helmet) it's OK.

I wonder if it's just American Moms who used to say "if all your friends decided to jump off a cliff, would you join them?" In response to the "but, Mom all my friends are doing it" agruement? That line of reasoning applies to this topic.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Wow, wise up guys. The shop owner won't rent his scooters to Thais? What does that say about his "business model". Do you want to be a part of it?

Some have touched on the real, long term issue raised in this thread -- it's not whether you'll get "caught" without the appropriate license or helmet but what happens when you hit the pavement and don't (unfortunately) die instantly. That rarely seems to happen with the cases brought to my attention -- most are low-speed accidents in Chiang Mai.

The standard insurance you get when renting a motorcycle covers THE MOTORCYLE not you. That's what is of importance to the shop owner. As for you -- well, even if you have a good travel-insurance policy, it won't cover you if you don't have a license for the vehicle you're operating. No insurance, you're going to have a big problem. The Thai public hospitals are full of (mostly young) people with head injuries from motorcycle accidents -- mostly Thai people, of course. I can't understand why it isn't more of a national scandal. The foreigners who end up in these government (charity) wards really have a problem.

The morale is to read your insurance policy carefully, wear your helmet at all times and don't assume because everyone's doing it (i.e. not wearing a helmet) it's OK.

I wonder if it's just American Moms who used to say "if all your friends decided to jump off a cliff, would you join them?" In response to the "but, Mom all my friends are doing it" agruement? That line of reasoning applies to this topic.

Not just American mums. My English mum used to say something very similar :) Edited by inthepink

The reason why shops do not rent to thai's

1. Thai often take the rented bike to a near by shop and strip it off all the working parts, including the batteries and replace it it all with junk

2. Thai will not return the bike, and police would not be running around Thailand looking for it

3. If Thai has accident or theft, it is impossible to get any money out of Thai, but going to court and even then if he/she has nothing, nothing to take

Strikes me as very funny. Here upcountry kids at the age of 10 driving 125 ccm motorbikes. Needless to say that they have no drivers-licence and they strictly never wear helmets.

Absolutely nobody cares, especially not the police.

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If this is a thread about stating the obvious....may as well add....don't give your passport to rental firms and your travel insurance policy will pay out between 0-50% for motorbike-accident related expenses; I think they squeeze out of it with the 'act of an idiot' clause.

thats if they pay at all, because

1. Most insurances (travel) do not cover bike accidents at all. I think even hard to get local one to cover, they do like 15 000 baht cover which just about pays for the ambulance if you still alive

2. Must have bike license from your home country.

So if you hire a scooter on a car licence you are illegal?

In the UK you can ride a scooter up to 125cc on a car licence with L plates.

This enforcement of the law could seriously damage the scooter hire industry in tourist places!

What percentage of tourists have a full bike licence about 0.5%?

On the positive side it means less road accidents and deaths. Also less oportunity to scam tourists.

This is all positive for tourism unless you get stuck up north in a horse while lubricating your tonsils with a large cold chang.

You can not ride a scooter in the UK up to 125 cc just with L Plates you have to undertake CBT,compulsory basic training,this is where people get caught out when renting motorcycles in places like Thailand,anything bigger you need the direct access course full license.

This might help.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/new-driving-licence-rules-for-mopeds-motorcycles-and-tricycles

What motorcycle licences do they have in Thailand? Do they have different classes for engine size? What about manual gears, automatic clutch with manual gears i.e. Honda Wave and full automatic i.e. Honda Scoopy i?

If you showed your international permit for a car it does not automatically translate into bike license.

not sure what you mean by the good old days are over?, all the regulations have been in place for decades and always have been randomly enforced.

I would the name of his horse is "common sense". If you want to be an idiot and endanger other people, do it in your country.

There are two licences (I don't know about lorries) available. One for bike and one for cars. The tests for both are ludicrously simple, yet many still prefer to pay 2,500 baht to have someone take the test for them. My ex was offered this service from the driving school where she went for lessons!!! To take the test you need to have a residence certificate.

If you are on holiday then the law states that you need an International licence for the vehicle (bike for bike). Without it you pay the fine.

As for helmets and not wearing them. Are you mad? This is one of the most dangerous places to drive a bike with lots of fatal accidents every day. Wearing a helmet just makes sense, and wearing a good one might just save your life. I had an accident last year when I hit sand left on a dark road by a builder. The bike stopped, I didn't. The first thing that hit the ground was my head and then my face. 60 stitches but after a month I was walking around, not pushing up daisies. The helmet saved my life. And the Government insurance you get with a bike for about 250 baht paid my medical expenses of around 25,000 baht. 15 minutes in the office and I walked out with a cheque for the full amount.

But if wearing a helmet offends you sense of freedom, go ahead, knock yourself out!

Sat at the lights a few days ago and saw a young Thai guy do a u-turn. He had obviously seen 'real' bikers riding with one hand on the throttle and the other on the tank to look cool. He forgot that when you do a sharp right turn like that the throttle gets opened a bit if you don't know what you're doing. Back wheel flipped out and he went face first onto the road. Luckily he was wearing a full face lid and only bounced twice on his lid front not his face. No lid or open face I don't think I would have enjoyed seeing the result. He got up and got his bike to the side of the road, sat down and took off the lid. Don't know which was the reddest, his face or the candy apple bike.

Edited by overherebc

That reply should have a reply to a post not an addition to a post

There are two licences (I don't know about lorries) available. One for bike and one for cars. The tests for both are ludicrously simple, yet many still prefer to pay 2,500 baht to have someone take the test for them. My ex was offered this service from the driving school where she went for lessons!!! To take the test you need to have a residence certificate.

If you are on holiday then the law states that you need an International licence for the vehicle (bike for bike). Without it you pay the fine.

As for helmets and not wearing them. Are you mad? This is one of the most dangerous places to drive a bike with lots of fatal accidents every day. Wearing a helmet just makes sense, and wearing a good one might just save your life. I had an accident last year when I hit sand left on a dark road by a builder. The bike stopped, I didn't. The first thing that hit the ground was my head and then my face. 60 stitches but after a month I was walking around, not pushing up daisies. The helmet saved my life. And the Government insurance you get with a bike for about 250 baht paid my medical expenses of around 25,000 baht. 15 minutes in the office and I walked out with a cheque for the full amount.

But if wearing a helmet offends you sense of freedom, go ahead, knock yourself out!

Sat at the lights a few days ago and saw a young Thai guy do a u-turn. He had obviously seen 'real' bikers riding with one hand on the throttle and the other on the tank to look cool. He forgot that when you do a sharp right turn like that the throttle gets opened a bit if you don't know what you're doing. Back wheel flipped out and he went face first onto the road. Luckily he was wearing a full face lid and only bounced twice on his lid front not his face. No lid or open face I don't think I would have enjoyed seeing the result. He got up and got his bike to the side of the road, sat down and took off the lid. Don't know which was the reddest, his face or the candy apple bike.

What is going on with the new wonderful updated posting system

Reply when you've fixed iut

Edited by overherebc

they are .......

Most expats in Udon wear helmets.... well, the ones that live in Udon. Can't speak for the 'tourist' types. Most Thais do not wear helmets.

If you get stopped for no helmet, Thai or expat, it is indeed a 200 baht fine and a ticket.

The really COOL part is being able to ride around without a helmet for the rest of the day. You just wave the 'paid already' ticket and carry one.

Will be even more cool when your head scraps the pavement after you get sideswiped by a drunk truck driver...

Will someone who truly knows the law please clarify? I have only a US driver's license. It is clearly marked with a motorcycle endorsement. I have lived in Chiang Mai twice, at the Riverside Apartments, and rented scooters for the entire 90 days both times. I was never stopped, but the rental places didn't question it and they looked at it.

I have also rented scooters for a few days on other visits.

So was I breaking the law? BTW the insurance came with the rental, assuming it was any good under the circumstances. ??

As I said before - it depends on the stamps on your international driving permit AND your home license. You can not legally drive here on just your home license, and you IDP can not endorse more than your home license allows (hence you must bring both). If you are allowed to ride a bike back home on your license, make sure they stamp the bike box on your IDP (as well as car) - then you are covered under international treaty agreement (1926/1949/1968 as ammended) as per the in. license scheme. It is the same everywhere (although there are two version of int driving permit for countries that have slightly different agreements - Thailand uses the normal one (only Somalia and Iraq I believe use the other).

Categories (boxes stamped) are as follows:

A - Motor cycles, with or without a side-car, invalid carriages and three-wheeled motor vehicles with an unladen weight not exceeding 400 kg (900 lbs).

B - Motor vehicles used for the transport of passengers and comprising, in addition to the driver's seat, at most eight seats, or those used for the transport of goods and having a permissible maximum weight not exceeding 3,500 kg (7,700 lbs). Vehicles in this category may be coupled with a light trailer.

C - Motor vehicles used for the transport of goods and of which the permissible maximum weight exceeds 3,500 kg (7,700 lbs). Vehicles in this category may be coupled with a light trailer.

D - Motor vehicles used for the transport of passengers and comprising, in addition to the driver's seat, more than eight seats. Vehicles in this category may be coupled with a light trailer.

E - Motor vehicles of category B, C, or D, as authorized above, with other than light trailer.

You mean if I go to Engand I will have to get a licence to paralel park my trusty Yellow WHEELCHAIR?

least he has a horse and not a donkey

Will someone who truly knows the law please clarify? I have only a US driver's license. It is clearly marked with a motorcycle endorsement. I have lived in Chiang Mai twice, at the Riverside Apartments, and rented scooters for the entire 90 days both times. I was never stopped, but the rental places didn't question it and they looked at it.

I have also rented scooters for a few days on other visits.

So was I breaking the law? BTW the insurance came with the rental, assuming it was any good under the circumstances. ??

If anyone really believes that one should obey every law that is made, in any country, then one should not bother to get out of bed in the morning. As far as I'm concerned, there is only ever one law, the law of common sense, but again, there is very little of that in Thailand.