Sun Hemp In Chiang Mai

wolfmanjack

I tried to reply to this post but could not so I am starting a new post.

I tried these directions and could not find the bulk seed place. i had my wife with me and she did not see a sign for seeds anywhere between the 1st ring road and the 2nd ring road on either side of the road. Can anyone give me the long and lat from google earth or the name and number of the shop?

Better yet is anyone willing to sell me some seeds?

"Posted 2010-06-24 23:16:36

Buying Sun Hemp in CM - a bit of a run around..... your 1st stop must be the bulk seed warehouse located on the Doi Saket Road, 2 buildings further out from the side exit from Carrefour, & on the same side of the road.

Inside the warehouse is a small office, manned by a couple of ladies, one speaks good English. Here you place your order & pay for it (at B35/kg), you'll be given an invoice which you must then take to another warehouse which is on the outer ring road (some expats say CM has Super Highway, then 1st Ring Road & then 2nd or outer Ring Road). Turn right at this junction & continue for about 2 kms, looking for a salesyard that has heaps of painted cemented animals on show (on the right hand side). The next warehouse is where you pickup your order.

There is a security gate which you drive through & directly in front of you, some 100m on, is a demountable office, show them your invoice & they will arrange your order.

Good luck "

You may be able to get some from the Land developement dept

If they have them, they are free.

I posted the address list of the LDD in another thread somewhere

EDIT just seen your other post, so I see that you have already tried the LDD

Edited by loong

I live in Ubon Ratchathani. This morning I popped into the local Land Development Centre to inquire about getting or buying some Sunnhemp (Crotaria juncea) seed. The nice lady informed me that I would have to have an official letter outlining the purpose of my using this seed and the maximum amount they distribute per person is 20 kg. That is no problem. I will prepare this letter next week.

I am after 40,000 kg. Huge markets overseas. I know I can not get this currently in Thailand but I plan to get nursery seed to contract farmers to produce at the end of this year. 30 years ago when I worked for both the Land Development Dept and the Livestock Dept I use to produce seed. However, to produce 40,000 kg is a different proposition. I was hoping that the Land Development centre and the Livestock Dept would put me in contact with their seed growers so I could contract farmers with Sunnhemp seed production experience. They are not willing to do this. So I will start from scratch and train farmers myself. Will take two years or more.

If any of you readers on farms want to produce seed for me please let me know.

I live in Ubon Ratchathani. This morning I popped into the local Land Development Centre to inquire about getting or buying some Sunnhemp (Crotaria juncea) seed. The nice lady informed me that I would have to have an official letter outlining the purpose of my using this seed and the maximum amount they distribute per person is 20 kg. That is no problem. I will prepare this letter next week.

I am after 40,000 kg. Huge markets overseas. I know I can not get this currently in Thailand but I plan to get nursery seed to contract farmers to produce at the end of this year. 30 years ago when I worked for both the Land Development Dept and the Livestock Dept I use to produce seed. However, to produce 40,000 kg is a different proposition. I was hoping that the Land Development centre and the Livestock Dept would put me in contact with their seed growers so I could contract farmers with Sunnhemp seed production experience. They are not willing to do this. So I will start from scratch and train farmers myself. Will take two years or more.

General sort of question, how many rai would you need to make a reasonable return.

I have kids and look to their future, is this a thing that would pay for itself over 5 or 10 years. Jim

General sort of question, how many rai would you need to make a reasonable return.

I have kids and look to their future, is this a thing that would pay for itself over 5 or 10 years. Jim

I like to price seed in order to give growers a net income of about 8,000 -10,000 baht/rai. Reading my management notes on seed production of sunnhemp written in 1980, I see I wrote that a yield of between 60-70 kg/rai was to be expected. Given that these yields were from research stations, with workers working government hours etc, I would expect farmers to harvest greater yields.

I would like to price at 100 baht/kg clean seed. I have heard that Kenaf seed costs about 150 baht/kg (similar plant). I will have to find out more what customers overseas are willing to pay.

Sunnhemp is an annual and has to be replanted every year.

Being a legume it will enrich your soil.

Please keep in touch.

Michael

You may be able to get some from the Land developement dept

If they have them, they are free.

I posted the address list of the LDD in another thread somewhere

EDIT just seen your other post, so I see that you have already tried the LDD

Thanks. I went to the land development office and they did not have them. They only had the jack bean.

I like to price seed in order to give growers a net income of about 8,000 -10,000 baht/rai. Reading my management notes on seed production of sunnhemp written in 1980, I see I wrote that a yield of between 60-70 kg/rai was to be expected. Given that these yields were from research stations, with workers working government hours etc, I would expect farmers to harvest greater yields.

I would like to price at 100 baht/kg clean seed. I have heard that Kenaf seed costs about 150 baht/kg (similar plant). I will have to find out more what customers overseas are willing to pay.

Sunnhemp is an annual and has to be replanted every year.

Being a legume it will enrich your soil.

Please keep in touch.

Michael

I just purchased Sun hemp for 35 baht per KG here in Chiang Mai.

I ended up following the directions to the warehouse thinking I would ask them where the sales office was. Instead of giving me that they just sold the seed to me.