Insane Prices

MacChine

60 baht for banannas. SIXTY Baht !!

A taxi from the airport that cost 600 baht last year is now quoted at 1200 baht by the dozens of touts inside the airport . I waded through and outside found an independent car that accepted 600. Lucked out too, as probably the best driver I've ever had, kept to a reasonable speed and kept his hands on the wheel. Knew there had to be one !!

So seems registering the hundreds of illegal taxis somehow drove the prices up. Amazing !!

Anyone else feel like a lamb shank living in a shark tank?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else feel like a lamb shank living in a shark tank?

LOL, that should be the new TAT Phuket slogan :)

I guess the most of us who live here can find alternative and cheaper ways to live and avoid the worst prices.

Aren't the taxi desks supposed to have posted fares inside the arrival hall? I never look at them and just walk out, but 1200 posted rate sounds a bit steep.

Yes....if you use the limousine service immediately outside of international baggage claim, the prices are posted and quite reasonable (relatively speaking).

Airport to Chalong 650 Bt in a newish car with air-con.

It does seem to be getting worse this high season. Although "normal" price of 750B for a "limo" is posted abound the airport (limo means compact car in Phuket,) 750B is about 3 times the price of a Bangkok metered taxi. I hear often that there are some people at the airport that are showing the fare is 1800B to the beaches on a map. 7 times the price of a Bangkok metered taxi! We had two guests told 1000B from Nai Harn to Kata after paying 300B Kata to Naiharn. They tried to bargain and the driver yelled and intimidated them. They had a couple similar experiences with the taxi's and so checked out and said they will never return to Phuket as they are to scared to us the taxi's. Several people reported that the fare Patong to Kata on new years was 1200B, which is about 17 times the price of a Bangkok Metered taxi! ("Normally" 400B, which is still about 6 times the price of a Bangkok metered taxi)

60 Baht for bananas? I usually buy them for half that price.

When I took a "meter" taxi to the airport from my house in Rawai in September, it was 500 Baht. When I returned in December it was 600 Baht. My driver said that they raised the fares because all the other taxi groups did. Of course the meter didn't work...

Soon the airportbus is going to kata-karon-patong 120thb... smile.png

Yes, all hail the airport bus, great idea, but i can't see the so called taxi mafia putting up with it, especially if it is a success, never mind banana's, what about the price of cheese!!!!!, i hope the new Makro that opens in Patong in a week or so, is as good inside as what it looks outside and has the selection of produce that's in the phuket town one

Soon the airportbus is going to kata-karon-patong 120thb... smile.png

Yes, all hail the airport bus, great idea, but i can't see the so called taxi mafia putting up with it, especially if it is a success, never mind banana's, what about the price of cheese!!!!!, i hope the new Makro that opens in Patong in a week or so, is as good inside as what it looks outside and has the selection of produce that's in the phuket town one

Britpop, can you give the location of the new Makro in Patong?

I dont think the prices on Phuket is horrible (at least for now) but the price increase policies in both private and public services with abrupt increases from 10-20-30 and even up to 70% from one year to another do not belong in any democratic country and specially so in a country where underpaying employees is long overdue.

Bananas in my garden.....Freetongue.png

Yes bananas too, and we have lots of coconuts .... free

Free - on Phuket - nah, I don't believe it. smile.pngsmile.png

Well - the land cost quite a lot to buy laugh.png but the coconuts come free w00t.gif

Very true. Some qiuck math..........A mango at my house cost 3000 Bahtbiggrin.png ..So, almost free.

Bananas in my garden.....Freetongue.png

Yes bananas too, and we have lots of coconuts .... free

Free - on Phuket - nah, I don't believe it. smile.pngsmile.png

Well - the land cost quite a lot to buy laugh.png but the coconuts come free w00t.gif

Isn't coconut and banana growing (agriculture) an occupation reserved for Thai's? :) :)

• Like 1