Retirement Visa Renewal: Few Day Delay Possible?

My one year visa is up on 18 Feb. One of the items needed is a proof of income document from my embassy. Since my embassy (US) will be in Patts a few days later, I'd like to wait until then rather than having to make a seperate trip up to BKK to obtain it.

I know that on the 90 day check-in, there is a little leeway as to the exact date. Does anyone know if the same holds true for the one year (retirement) visa renewal? Thanks in advance for your response(s).

No there is no leeway normally allowed. Application must be made on or before expiration date unless a weekend and done next workday. That said some people with reasonable cause have been allowed to pay overstay and then continue an extension a few days after due date but I would not count on it. Especially as busy as Pattaya is.

Thanks for all the prompt responses! I just checked the US embassy outreach program and it turns out that the new scheduled date for Pattaya is not until March 1. Therefore, I will just go up to BKK next week and get it done there. Otherwise, it'd be almost two weeks after my expiry date. Thanks again. Cheers.

I missed my last renewal by remembering the wrong date. I was four days late.

Went to Udorn, paid 500 baht per day fine and 1,900 for the renewal but got it done. I learned my lesson.

Yup, that's what would happen in Chiang Mai, too. They'd send you out of the country to start the "two step" process. I've heard first-hand reports of others paying "tea money" so they didn't have to leave the country, but not recently in Chiang Mai.

Enjoy your trip to Bangkok! Personally, I like an excuse to go there once a year or so (great movie theaters and the best nail salon in Thailand.)

"Yup, that's what would happen in Chiang Mai, too. They'd send you out of the country to start the "two step" process."

Nancy, you posted that it would happen the same as in chuckd's post, and then say they'd send you out of the country to start a different process. ???

OP, I think ACS visits your area several times a year. Not sure about your immigration office, but where I extend they allow the letter to be several months old. I just plan to go to the first ACS visit prior to the date I need to extend by.

Terry

Before you make the trip to BKK, try the Austrian Consul in Pattaya firdst; he is located in Soi Yensabai (South Pattaya) opposite the main entrance of Yensabai Condo.

He is taking care of a lot of nationalities and his actions are accepted by Thai govt officials.

Thanks for all the prompt responses! I just checked the US embassy outreach program and it turns out that the new scheduled date for Pattaya is not until March 1. Therefore, I will just go up to BKK next week and get it done there. Otherwise, it'd be almost two weeks after my expiry date. Thanks again. Cheers.

Be sure you make an appointment. They are mandatory and you will not even get through the front door without one.

Info: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/acsappointment.html

Before you make the trip to BKK, try the Austrian Consul in Pattaya firdst; he is located in Soi Yensabai (South Pattaya) opposite the main entrance of Yensabai Condo.

He is taking care of a lot of nationalities and his actions are accepted by Thai govt officials.

The income statement needs to be notarized, I'm not sure anyone can do it but the US Embassy.

Thanks to all for the further replies.

Since I wasn't sure how recent the income affidavit had to be, I didn't get one when the ACS was last in town in November.

I suspect that the "Austrian" option would not have worked, as already stated.

I normally go up to BKK once or twice a month, but almost exclusively on weekends, not weekdays, which is when the US Embassy is open.

I made my appointment online, so no problem.

Thanks again for all of the input. Cheers.

I just do not trust immigration enough to make a trip to Bangkok or an early outreach up here.and pay 1600 baht.

Outreach for Ubon was last month and extension is due in August.

Other outreach is KK in June. Cost of trip there is almost as much as to Bangkok and over 2 months early. Just not worth the risk in my opinion.

Edited by ubonjoe

I missed my last renewal by remembering the wrong date. I was four days late.

Went to Udorn, paid 500 baht per day fine and 1,900 for the renewal but got it done. I learned my lesson.

Yup, that's what would happen in Chiang Mai, too. They'd send you out of the country to start the "two step" process. I've heard first-hand reports of others paying "tea money" so they didn't have to leave the country, but not recently in Chiang Mai.

Enjoy your trip to Bangkok! Personally, I like an excuse to go there once a year or so (great movie theaters and the best nail salon in Thailand.)

I realize now I mis-read chuckd's post. Lately, Chiang Mai hasn't been willing to process retirement extensions if submitted a few days after expiration -- no matter the reason for missing the expiration date. Perhaps one of the visa agents could "fix" this situation, but they are holding firm with "normal" retirees who show up a few days after expiration of their previous extension.

• Like 1