Passport Photo

Time has now arrived that I need to renew my passport. Does anybody know anywhere in Nong Khai that I will get a photo taken which is guaranteed to be accepted for a passport. I used to use a shop in the Tesco complex up the escalator but that is no longer there, thanks.

I do, find Peck's Bar, leave Pecks, go around the cornor to the left (I hate that word, I am very RIGHT wing) then go down about 300- 400 feet and there is a shop on the left , a photo shop, bring the dimensions with You, otherwise they will give you regular passport photos, which will not work, If You are from then US about 2 weeks to get in Vientiane, and You do not need to go to Bangkok. Very easy..

The shop is on Mi Chai Rd.

Edited by DennyEagle

Does anybody know what happens if you are on a retirement extension and get your new passport in Laos. First, you would have to have re-entry permits, at least two or multiple, since you have to apply and then go back 10 days later and pickup your new passport. Now all of your information , visa, re-entry permit and current permission to stay , is in your old passport that will be defaced and cancelled when you pickup your new passport. What will happen when you try to enter Thailand with both passports, will you be given only 15 days or will Thai iimmigration honor the re-entry permit and extension in the old passport and give you permisssion to stay until the extension expires. I emailed the Embassy in Laos and asked them and they stated that getting the new passport in Laos was not a problem but they did not know how Thai immigration would handle it. They also said that they could not mail the new passport to Thailand.

I do, find Peck's Bar, leave Pecks, go around the cornor to the left (I hate that word, I am very RIGHT wing) then go down about 300- 400 feet and there is a shop on the left , a photo shop, bring the dimensions with You, otherwise they will give you regular passport photos, which will not work, If You are from then US about 2 weeks to get in Vientiane, and You do not need to go to Bangkok. Very easy..

Many thanks for that information. Its a UK passport I want so send to Hong Kong, then Hong Kong to UK then finally UK to Thailand so I must be sure that the photos are of the required standard.

These two web pages from the website of the UK government give detailed information about the type of photo acceptable for a UK passport:

https://www.gov.uk/p...s-for-passports

http://www.direct.go...t/dg_174925.pdf

I suggest you print the second one, the PDF document, read it and make sure you understand every detail, then instruct the photo shop accordingly and double-check compliance before accepting and paying for the photos.

These two web pages from the website of the UK government give detailed information about the type of photo acceptable for a UK passport:

I suggest you print the second one, the PDF document, read it and make sure you understand every detail, then instruct the photo shop accordingly and double-check compliance before accepting and paying for the photos.

Thank you for the advice. I have already taken the guidance for passport photos PDF document to the only photo shop I could find in Nong Khai. They could not help me because they had only blue and white backgrounds. According to their instructions the photo "must be taken against a plain cream or plain light grey background.

I had similar issues with German passport. I went 5 years ago with wrong photo to the embassey. They where (for once) helpfull and pointed me to a photo shop nearby that knew exactly what the requirements were.

Now I got a new passport again a few werks ago. Meantime they have a photo booth inside the embassey. Very customer friendly.

Would it not be better for you to arrange new passport here in Thailand, instead of via Hong Kong

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

UK has no choice - passport application is via Hong Kong for last few years and now issued in UK for delivery back in Thailand. They even produced an amazing video to explain all this in (pre-school language). Not just Thailand that can be amazing.smile.png

I had similar issues with German passport. I went 5 years ago with wrong photo to the embassey. They where (for once) helpfull and pointed me to a photo shop nearby that knew exactly what the requirements were.

Now I got a new passport again a few werks ago. Meantime they have a photo booth inside the embassey. Very customer friendly.

Would it not be better for you to arrange new passport here in Thailand, instead of via Hong Kong

Wish I could but the UK government has decided in their infinite wisdom that all UK passport applications and renewals have to be submitted through Hong Kong now.

That is a simple photoshop job, to change the back colour and how my photo's are processed for my passport.

That is a simple photoshop job, to change the back colour and how my photo's are processed for my passport.

He did not want to know and was very unhelpful, even more so when he saw the requirements demanded by the UK government for a simple passport photo.

Exactly the same happened to me when I applied for a Dutch passport a few years ago, I was directed to a photo shop just across the road.

How surprised would the photo shop owners have been when German/Dutch embassy employees refused to accept a commission for this.

Thank you your advice was spot on. Very helpful lady and cost 295 Baht. She did say UK passport photo very difficult now though.