Land Of Smiles.....maybe Not!

POAK

So, it got me to thinking. When they say Thailand, Land of Smiles, are they talking about the people welcoming people to their country or are they just saying behind their smiles, we going to rob you blind stupid Falang?

Case in hand, am driving the little lady and family in tow to The Mall (Korat), am driving a pick up and am in the far right lane. Traffic ahead of me about to turn right, so I indicate to change lanes to go to the left lane so I can then drive into the parking area. At this stage the traffic has stopped and I have already commenced to merge into the next lane but of course no one will let me in.

Out of no where, then man in brown (police) walks up to the driver’s window and politely knocks on the window, I lower the window and he again politely smiles and salutes me asking for my driving license.

He then asked the little lady where we are going and asks that I pull over to the side of the curb; he stops traffic for me to allow me to pull over.

He then asks the little lady to accompany him to his police box, I of course follow.

He has a brief conversation and charges us, well her 100 baht for apparently making an illegal lane change?

I’m furious at this stage but am dragged away by the little lady saying it will cost me more if I yak yak the police….

We are in Bangkok for two night’s staying at a very cheap hotel, name of hotel with held at this stage…the day we want to check out, the receptionist with a polite tone and a big smile want’s to then charge me for 2 missing glasses…

The second day of our stay they moved us to another room for no apparent reason.

When I refused this charge she made a quick phone call to room service I guess then tells me with another polite tone and smile they we actually broke one glass…

I told her to blow it out of her pretty ass and would not be paying anything as we did not lose, stole or broke any glasses.

After a brief talk with the little lady she smiles and said she made a mistake and that was it…

Land of Smiles…me think not

• Like 1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go to any country and are naive enough to believe the tourist advertisment generalisations about that country ,then you will be in for a rude shock. Thailand has some sh*t things about it, and some very good things about it. I dont expect everyone to lay the red carpet for me, but neither do I expect to be treated like a bottom feeder everywhere I go. Even when I first went to Thailand in my mid 20's I was worldly enough to realise that I could get f**ked over just like anywhere else in the world. I really think that a lot of people come here and think that its going to be like in the adverts....YES you WILL get taken advantage of at times in Thailand, the same as others in Australia do. Grow a thicker skin, learn the language and learn to think on your feet. The world hasnt been designed to bend to your expectations.

• Like 2

Well you smile at the policeman and thank him for keeping you right on the traffic laws as you give him the 100 baht, you smile at the receptionist and add a 100 baht apologising for any inconvenience and thanking her for the excellent service, you walk away, and everybody is all smiles...........or you can behave as a bellicose farang and wipe the smile off every face around you....

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

I was leaving a regular bar late one night after a party and waved down a songteow. I asked how much and got in. After driving a ways we stopped to pick up someone at a small store in the middle of nowhere. The woman with the driver came back and asked everyone to pay, asking me for quite a bit more than previously agreed upon. I was surprised, told her no way, we agreed on less and that I would get out and find another way to get home. Another example of getting ripped off, right? Well, she was apologetic and explained that the initial rate she quoted was a group rate because she thought that all the people I was with out front were also getting in, but then I got in by myself. That actually made sense to me to I agreed and paid up. So, sometimes getting "ripped off" might just be a case of miscommunication.

• Like 1

us foriegn people have to remember that we are not in our own countrys,I was on holiday with my lady and our two boys in Hua Hin reciently we had a nice meal in beach cafe, Boys being boys they accidently knocked over a glass and broke it. when the bill came there was a 30 baht charge for the broken glass. i wasnt happy but just paid as i wont be back in the cafe again.

Land Of Scams

Land of opportunists perhaps. If you were dumb enough to get taken for a ride, then got done again...join the cue of losers on this forum that like to sprout on about how "They been done wrong" while singing to their dog and munching on tinned frankfurts. Its not like back in the west Charlie, the government doesnt control every aspect of commerce.

• Like 1

or you can behave as a bellicose farang and wipe the smile off every face around you....

I agree, defo the best way, make sure everyone ends up on a downer... at least you get your money's worth when you've taken one up the jacksie then. giggle.gif

It's just an advertising slogan to lure people to visit Thailand. Did you really fall for it? blink.png

Land of smiles, Yes it is a bit ambiguous, they should have added 'excluding the majority of farang expats'

or you can behave as a bellicose farang and wipe the smile off every face around you....

I agree, defo the best way, make sure everyone ends up on a downer... at least you get your money's worth when you've taken one up the jacksie then. giggle.gif

Monies worth of what exactly?...misery and discomfort over 100 baht?...well I guess if that is how some get their highs in life on you go....

It's just an advertising slogan to lure people to visit Thailand. Did you really fall for it? blink.png

Fall for it... fall for it... a lot of people STILL think that a woman they rent for 2000 baht a night is their girlfriend! they walk around hand in hand with them...its hilarious. Those guys really do know how to fool themselves, if nobody else.

• Like 1

Fall for it... fall for it... a lot of people STILL think that a woman they rent for 2000 baht a night is their girlfriend! they walk around hand in hand with them...its hilarious. Those guys really do know how to fool themselves, if nobody else.

She said she was different !! Didn't know she meany gender ...dammit ..;-)))

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Some idiots even marry the same girls then wonder why it all goes wrong, was never right to start with!

She said she was different !! Didn't know she meany gender ...dammit ..;-)))

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Dont worry buddy. I am sure there are some real gems amongst the prostitutes in this country. The kind you would set up a family with, trust your bank account with, trust your kids with, trust your kids education with...yeah, its just a pity others cant see how much it all makes sense...being the land of smiles and all, that you just cant go wrong! I mean really, we are white men after all. We, thanks to our forefathers deserve this lifestyle! We can tell a potato from an apple for gods sake! The sweetness of life just flows to us all like a river. In the land of smiles, where everyone smiles by the way...we have FREEEEEDOM!

In those instances where I've been "scammed", I try to remind myself that's it's only a couple of dollars -- nothing to suffer a bout of depression over. Hell, go take a trip to NYC -- even when you're not getting scammed, you're still getting ripped off!

My cell phone bill used to be $100 for the same crappy service I get here in Thailand for 750 baht (or $25). Some people, I guess, don't mind getting taken for their money so long as it's by a western government and/or corporation.

The real issue for a lot of people, it seems to me anyway, is getting taken advantage of by a people with a far inferior 'education'.