Women Spending Time In Wats As Nuns?

xen

Just wondering if somebody could explain about women going into a Wat for a short period of time . I was having a conversation with some Thai women who were trying to explain it to me but their English was about the same level of my Thai. They were saying that women can go into a Wat for a few weeks as nuns and they wear white dresses. I presume this is the same as young Thai men becoming Monks for about three months some time in their lifetime. It seems they get up very early in the morning and they should not have contact with the outside world as much as possible meaning no phones.

Can somebody explain a bit more about it and whether it is common in Thailand for young women to do it and what it is called . I must confess i know very little else about it.

Thanks for any replies

Thailand has a national mae chee organisation sanctioned by the Dept of Religious Affairs. They used to publish a short handbook in Thai and English, which I saw once at the bookstore opposite Wat Bowon. According to that manual mae chee in Thailand follow 10 precepts, which as I recall are the same 10 precepts samanera (novice monks) follow.

• Like 2

Well here I am Mr Negative .... Many Thai women of course do it for all the right reasons others however use it as an excellent opportunity for more devious pursuits. That is they are essentially removed from the radar for up to two weeks allowing them the freedom to play away from home... Thing is no communications are allowed from the outside or so they say... No photos's either??? Deep meditation... or deep penetration from a foreign Buddha?

We have Mae Chee here. Mostly in their fifties and upward. Some just have problems dealing with society. One believes she gets possessed by spirits and feels safe here. Most just want to practice.

Being ordained for a short period of time is part of the culture here. Theres nothing wrong with it. In fact some westerners should give it a go so they're not sniping out of complete ignorance. Khao jai mai?

My wife has a younger brother who is always in trouble - mainly because of whiskey and fighting and he "drys" out in a Wat for a few months everytime he hits the bottom. My original post was after a conversation with some Thai ladies about if women are also offered the same "sanctuary" and/or able to get "spiritual re-alighnment" I have always heard about men doing it but not so much with women.