I Have A Thai Child What Are My Visa Options ?

hi,

i'm currently not legal father all i have is the thai birth certificate with my name on - would i be able to get a type-O visa from laos with just the birth certificate ? then in the future get married and extend that type-O ?

regards

Yes you can. I have been getting a 1 year multi entry non-O (family) visa for years, based upon the birth certificate of my son.

In Laos? Normally you will not get more than a single entry non immigrant O visa for child in consulates adjacent to Thailand. There is no such thing as a 3 entry - they are sold as single or multi entry (valid one year). But there is normally also a 60 day extension of stay available on any entry by immigration with mother/child/BC.

hi,

i'm currently not legal father all i have is the thai birth certificate with my name on - would i be able to get a type-O visa from laos with just the birth certificate ? then in the future get married and extend that type-O ?

regards

Yes you can. I have been getting a 1 year multi entry non-O (family) visa for years, based upon the birth certificate of my son.

You may not get another one unless you have a document from a Thai court showing you as the father and having custody of the child.

There was a crack down on them about a year ago. Even Hull in the UK do not issue them anymore.

thank you for your replies,

because we are thinking of getting married i don't want to go through the court process.

so my options at the moment are to stay on a torist visa or change to a single type-O which is only 3 months ?

would i be able to get a 1 year extension to either types of visa once married ?

if we get married i then become legal father ? would i be able to extend on basis of thai child still and show 400,000 in a bank or would i have to show 800,000 on basis of marriage ?

2.18 In the case of a family

member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child

of his/her spouse):

Permission will be

granted for a period of

not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of family relationship

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de

jure (legitimate) and de facto;

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

so i will need to get a type-O visa if i want to extend 1 year ?

will i need to put the 400K in a thai bank for 2 months if i use the marriage certificate as proof of being legal father ?

or if we get married is having a child irrelevant to the visa process ?

Yes you require a non immigrant visa entry to start extensions of stay.

After marriage suspect they will want you to use Thai wife extension (from other reports) and that requires 60 days in account. Child is reported but not a requirement to have when using the Thai wife extension.

In short: You will be subjected to the same long-term visa requirements as anyone "without child".

If it were otherwise, any Farang with Visa-Problems in general would go the route "of having a child with a Thai-National" to eliminate future Visa-Problems.

Thai-Immigration is a cumbersome affair, and many Farangs would like to have it easier to stay in Thailand, but any notion to make a long-term stay in Thailand easier by becoming a father, is an illusion.

It is known to Thai-Imigration, that making a baby is a relatively easy process, and therefore exclude it from visa-considerations. Rightly so. Especially if the offspring was produced before any sort of marriage!!

DNA- Tests are not common in rural Thailand yet. And if they were, many a dissapointements would be the result of it.

Cheers.

You should be able to get a single entry with just the birth certificate but I can't say for certain. If you were married to mother at birth it would not be a problem.

If you plan on getting married soon I suggest you get a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your child. And then after marriage get the single entry non-o visa.

You would need to take the child and mother (optional but best) with you to immigration when you apply for the extension.

This thread is about visa options for those with a Thai child. If you have a Thai wife it is another section of immigration rules for extension of stay. If you have a question about Thai wife extension of stay would welcome you starting a new thread on that will full details so readers may be able to provide some help or alternatives.

Does anyone know of what a foreign woman has to do if she is having a child with a Thai man? Does she have any rights to stay in the country and is it the same process as it is for a man?

It seems much easier, as the foreign woman would be able to apply for Thai citizenship. Guess therefore you'll have to be married to the Thai guy..

Edited by sirchai

In short: You will be subjected to the same long-term visa requirements as anyone "without child".

If it were otherwise, any Farang with Visa-Problems in general would go the route "of having a child with a Thai-National" to eliminate future Visa-Problems.

Thai-Immigration is a cumbersome affair, and many Farangs would like to have it easier to stay in Thailand, but any notion to make a long-term stay in Thailand easier by becoming a father, is an illusion.

It is known to Thai-Imigration, that making a baby is a relatively easy process, and therefore exclude it from visa-considerations. Rightly so. Especially if the offspring was produced before any sort of marriage!!

DNA- Tests are not common in rural Thailand yet. And if they were, many a dissapointements would be the result of it.

Cheers.

DNA testing in Thailand takes place at only two hospitals both in Bangkok and I have no idea what they will charge. I know only that one is the 'police' hospital. A DNA test to prove that you are the father may (don't know for certain) be required when applying for a British Passport for your child. This may or may not be your intention?coffee1.gif

Does anyone know of what a foreign woman has to do if she is having a child with a Thai man? Does she have any rights to stay in the country and is it the same process as it is for a man?

It seems much easier, as the foreign woman would be able to apply for Thai citizenship. Guess therefore you'll have to be married to the Thai guy..

Anyone meeting the requirements can apply for Thai citizenship and being female is no longer a shortcut (PR is now not an absolute required for males either). Where it is still an advantage is financial requirements as the male is the party in a marriage that must be able to provide financially so a foreign male will have these requirements to meet for extensions of stay.

Hmmm. I wonder what would happen if a foreigner has a child from a relationship with a Thai woman but the guy is separated from her for whatever reason. The guy and the child have been to family court with DNA evidence and the court has ordered the child to therefore have the guys surname. The guy and his offspring live together. I simply wonder if a situation like this might give the chap some special rights? Just a thought?

Not unless he meets the financial requirements for extension of stay; just as he would have to meet for having a Thai wife or other such extension that requires financials. But having the additional documents can be used in that process and may help in obtaining visas.

I am wondering if you can keep the benefit of the extension of stay if you divorce from your thai wife...

Does it will be depend if you share the parental power with the mom ?

Interesting question as the number of divorces between mix couple is quite high...

Cheers.

DNA testing in Thailand takes place at only two hospitals both in Bangkok and I have no idea what they will charge. I know only that one is the 'police' hospital. A DNA test to prove that you are the father may (don't know for certain) be required when applying for a British Passport for your child. This may or may not be your intention?coffee1.gif

Both hospitals are Police hospital (rajdamri road) and Bumrumgrad (suk soi 3). Police hospital cost was around 15-25K B, bumrumgrad around 30-40K. Must wait around 3 weeks for result.

The certificate (write in Thai) from Police hospital is accepted by most Ampur in Bangkok.

thank you for your replies,

because we are thinking of getting married i don't want to go through the court process.

so my options at the moment are to stay on a torist visa or change to a single type-O which is only 3 months ?

would i be able to get a 1 year extension to either types of visa once married ?

if we get married i then become legal father ? would i be able to extend on basis of thai child still and show 400,000 in a bank or would i have to show 800,000 on basis of marriage ?

If you later marry the mother, it will automatically legitimate the child as your kid, no need a court process, especially if the child has your family name and you are already registered as the father on birth certificate.

Chris1970,

Your question and situation is or was very similar to my brother who has lived in Thailand for over 10 years along with myself.

After years of listening to others especially from other Thais, " they have a friend who speak English and stuff " gets real frustrating " you want to throw your hands up finally a few years ago found a company in Bangkok across the street from the U.S. Embassy who can and will handle all your needs.

I personally interviewed them and found it refreshing that the owners were Thai, raised majority of their lives in the States, Las Vegas and San Francisco and even went to my old High School in S.F., refreshing to speak to a Thai and feel like I was talking to another Farang.

Right now I'm in the States on a short holiday and when I return the first of the month will forward you the business card for them. This is a legit large office business! Not some guy working in the back room and his English is less than minimum!

There are many ways to stay in Thailand getting around the requirements? Before doing any DNA stuff on your own check with your Embassy before proceeding with DNA, they have their own recommendation for DNA testing which would streamline the process for you instead of back tracking. Instead of jumping around which is normal, which is exactly what we did, if you can wait for the information?

Edited by thailand49

Chris1970,

Here is the information I got from my brother: As mentioned they are located in Bangkok across the Soi or Street from the US Embassy.

Her name is Virigina Ly? Their company is TSL, Her cell is 02-2633963, Office: 02-251-3130, 063200653, give those a try and good luck!