Walen, Pro Language Or Study Thai Chiang Mai?

Malthus101

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.thaivisa....alen complaint

Here you are, this one for example. But there were many other posts by satisfied students over the years.

Why do you think your competitors do not generate the same level of dissatisfaction as your school? If students are unhappy with the service they receive from Pro Language say or any of the other schools you never hear anyone afterwards complaining about them with such passion as they do about your teaching methods?

Edited by Asiantravel

Good advice from Mario and afterwards you'll be able to work out for yourself why Whalen isn't the most popular

sad.png

Walen is not the most popular Thai school in Chiangmai? Or even in Thailand? If the students numbers were the measure then I believe we certainly are.

You have a considerable and unfair advantage as a sponsor in only being able to put forward your view and submit links whereas mine were deleted by moderator.

At least one should be able to listen fairly to both sides of the debate

What about becoming a sponsor? It costs money to maintain this website and sponsors are welcome. Send email to: [email protected] and they will take care of your advertising needs.

Here you are, this one for example. But there were many other posts by satisfied students over the years.

Why do you think your competitors do not generate the same level of dissatisfaction as your school? If students are unhappy with the service they receive from Pro Language say or any of the other schools you never hear anyone afterwards complaining about them with such passion as they do about your teaching methods?

I guess those other schools do not have many students that is why very few ever mention them. Like there is nothing much to discuss about them. There must be a good reason why Walen is a number 1 Thai school in the world. So many people cannot be wrong.

I guess those other schools do not have many students that is why very few ever mention them. Like there is nothing much to discuss about them. There must be a good reason why Walen is a number 1 Thai school in the world. So many people cannot be wrong.

Wonder how many "students" Walen would have if they would not give out those ED visa's.....

• Like 1

How is it that whenever one clicks on the 'learn online' feature this is all that comes up, but no information?

It is my understanding from a friend that it's been like this for at least a year.

Online School

Learn Thai online from your home through Skype.

Advantages:

1. Learn from home anywhere in the world

2. Excellent voice and picture quality

3. Save travel time to school

skype.jpg

Edited by uptheos

Lots of online students so it works well enough but we will improve it further. Thanks for your comment uptheos.

Well, can you tell me please, once someone clicks learn on-line and just gets what I posted previously.....how do they in fact get the on-line information? As far as I can see no information is given....am I missing something?

• Like 2

Lots of online students so it works well enough but we will improve it further. Thanks for your comment uptheos.

Well, can you tell me please, once someone clicks learn on-line and just gets what I posted previously.....how do they in fact get the on-line information? As far as I can see no information is given....am I missing something?

you are missing something, it works well enough, so no need to explainwink.png

OK I will try a different browser, thanks.

Maybe you can show me (cut and paste) what you get as it obviously works well enough for you. Cheers.

OK again, I've tried on IE (previously chrome)

I click learn online from the menu on the left and I get exactly the same as before.

http://www.thaiwalen...learnonline.php

And I cannot go futher except to download Skype (which I already have)

As I'm having problems maybe MacWalen can help and post the info?

I don't see any prices for on-ine lessons either.

Edited by uptheos

Maybe you can show me (cut and paste) what you get as it obviously works well enough for you. Cheers.

I click learn online from the menu on the left and I get exactly the same as before.

ahhhh......biggrin.png but it works well and have plenty of students.

PS. It did not work for me, but anything i post in that regard gets deletedwai.gif

ahhhh......biggrin.png but it works well and have plenty of students.

PS. It did not work for me, but anything i post in that regard gets deletedwai.gif

Ok, I'm seriously hoping MacWalen will answer......it's a serious question.

If he prefers me to pm or email him then I will, he just needs to say so

But I'm sure he can answer here, then everyone will know.

Let me start by saying that I am not a fan of Walen, "school" or salesman...

But they do list their Skype id on the website which I would think is a good next step. I would also venture to say that most of their "students" are in town and just don't want to go in to class. Under that assumption, I would think they would get more info at the office when paying for their classes.

I've kept my nose out of this since I have little useful to say, but I've decided to chip in my personal experience/thoughts.

For the OP - I still say the triple entry tourist visa option (with a visa run after 9 months) is cheaper, and not much less convenient, than a language school.

On language schools, having contacted several when I first arrived in Th it became fairly evident that most of them were visa factories first and language schools second - the language school being a convenient (and lucrative) vehicle for the first. I'm not going to single out any one in particular. I'm sure they all do have a percentage of students who are actively learning Thai - but let's call a spade a spade.

If you *really* want to learn Thai, by all means enroll in one of the ones who DO actually teach - or, join the ranks of tefl'ers and become a "teacher" with a work permit providing your ability to stay. Otherwise just stick with a tourist visa.

Thanks bobl.... I suppose it won't hurt to get the triple visa first from here in the UK, then get set up in CM. I can visit all the schools and make a decision and speak to some people face to face. I do want to learn Thai but it is not my primary focus for being in Thailand (getting out of London is the main one!)

Malthus101

I went to AUA a couple of months ago. The girl behind the counter was very stand-offish. A US guy was there too trying to apply for an English teaching job and was ultra polite, but the girl treated him like a mangy dog. I told her and showed her what my level is -- reading and writing -- and she just wandered off and then called another, older woman over. She was only marginally interested in me. She acted like I was completely bothering her. I asked about levels and, acting like I was massively putting her out, she tossed some brochure at me. It did not really explain about levels and I asked about a class to suit me -- speaking and reading and writing at a low/intermediate level. She said they had nothing that had all of those -- either you were in a lower level which had no written Thai, or you were in another class that did have Thai script, but not intermediate. Both females made me feel like I was taking up their valuable ass-scratching time and that I was asking moronic questions. To be honest, I have never been treated with such rudeness and disdain as I was there. It was like they didn't want me (or anyone) to actually get any information, and heaven forbid that you actually wanted to take a class. I had heard that AUA does not encourage speaking or asking questions, but I thought I would go there and find out for myself. Now I know. If the front desk is any indication, i can't imagine anyone ever even trying to go there, let alone spend any money there. The "service" there was memorably horrible.

• Like 1

Hello, Just a word about Chiang Mai University Language Institute 1 year courses...

I read earlier in this forum that they are not regarded in general as good-quality as some of the other courses.

I am currently joining 1 year course and I have not been joining any other courses in Chiang Mai so what I am saying is little biased.

Anyways, the good thing #1: You get support for education visa, 1 year.

The good thing #2: The staff is nice and friendly as long as you don't criticize them too much. I heard about an incident where somebody was complaining about the course and then it got little nasty, some of those staff members didn't behave so nicely anymore. But this of course is more about Thailand in general. The relationship between customers and the service-provider is not the same here as in the Western world.

Then about the teaching... It all depends what kind of teacher you get. They have different kind of teachers with completely different teaching methods. So if you want to go there, I would suggest trying a teacher for some time and see if it fits you. Then it's possible to change the class if you explain them that a particular teaching method really doesn't suit you at all.

I have now my 2nd teacher and I am satisfied with the teaching now.

In some other thread somebody was saying that the course is only for getting Visa support. In my opinion it's not true. But you have to study a lot on your own also. 2 x 3 hours a week is not that much - you get some basics but you have to build on top of that yourself.

Hope this helps.

Do a search on CMU Language Institute and look for the news of them cancelling their 1 yr program and visa's of all 300+ students.

No refunds, no visa assistance.

Hello, Just a word about Chiang Mai University Language Institute 1 year courses...

I read earlier in this forum that they are not regarded in general as good-quality as some of the other courses.

I am currently joining 1 year course and I have not been joining any other courses in Chiang Mai so what I am saying is little biased.

Anyways, the good thing #1: You get support for education visa, 1 year.

The good thing #2: The staff is nice and friendly as long as you don't criticize them too much. I heard about an incident where somebody was complaining about the course and then it got little nasty, some of those staff members didn't behave so nicely anymore. But this of course is more about Thailand in general. The relationship between customers and the service-provider is not the same here as in the Western world.

Then about the teaching... It all depends what kind of teacher you get. They have different kind of teachers with completely different teaching methods. So if you want to go there, I would suggest trying a teacher for some time and see if it fits you. Then it's possible to change the class if you explain them that a particular teaching method really doesn't suit you at all.

I have now my 2nd teacher and I am satisfied with the teaching now.

In some other thread somebody was saying that the course is only for getting Visa support. In my opinion it's not true. But you have to study a lot on your own also. 2 x 3 hours a week is not that much - you get some basics but you have to build on top of that yourself.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

"Do a search on CMU Language Institute and look for the news of them cancelling their 1 yr program and visa's of all 300+ students.

No refunds, no visa assistance."

Yes, I know it, I read the same things from the net and obviously it happened before.

But things can also get better. Just because it's Thailand, doesn't mean they don't want to improve things.

If something happens to my current course, I assure you I will post the details immediately here. :-)

Seems you have already had a lot of good advise. I think all the school you mention are good and it depends on your personal experiences and expectations. Each of these schools has a different teaching style and atmosphere. Have you tried any out yet? I would be interested to know what you think of each school.

I tried a couple of the school you mentioned out and settled on Pro Language School in the end. I have been there 3 years now, so you can see I am very happy with it. It was also great with my ED visa and I have never had any problems with the visa process.

I have to say that learning Thai language is a great challenge and very interesting. I like my school because they actually do make it 'fun' to learn, and all the classes I have been in have had a great atmosphere - relaxed and informal. It feels like 'family' a little. That was important for me because I am a bit shy to speak up with people I am not comfortable around.

Good luck with you search and enjoy learning the language.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been studying at Walen already 5 months. It's a very good school.

I highly recommend them.

I have a friend of a friend who has studied at Walen for almost 2 years and he also highly recommends his school (Walen). However, after studying all this time he has no idea about how to use tones correctly.

This may be incorrect but I've heard from a friend of a friend who studied at Walen that they do not teach the Thai tones or the rules for reading and writing either

This is just what I've heard so maybe someone who has studied there can please enlighten us further

I've only taken about three language courses, and will likely only take one more. I've liked them all, and won't name the school. teachers are enthusiastic, and it is a great challenge. Anyhow, if I didn't learn the tones or vocabulary or grammar or why not write run-on sentences (lol), I would only blame myself. Learning a language is difficult, and I certainly do not spend enough time outside of class to blame anyone else but myself. Sure, tons of people are always surprised I know about 40-50 words, and I've gotten great comedy trying to speak thai However, if I took a test at the beginner level, I would likely only barely pass. or maybe fail. I've seen about 50 students, and some are so much more passionate about learning than others. this is not the school's fault, entirely. one guy told me, 'I just wanted to learn the numbers; the rest, ah, I don't care.' and many drop-out after a few weeks because they have other stuff going on.

ไม่เป็นไร ขี่ ผม อยาก จะ ขี่ จักรยาน ไป doi suthep แล้ว ก็ กิน ข้าว

I have no idea if what I typed makes any sense. LOL.

• Like 1

Good advice from Mario and afterwards you'll be able to work out for yourself why Whalen isn't the most popularsad.png

All I've heard about Walen is it's American owned and they make you repeat everything twice like a child!

Also,the owner posts videos of himself on you tube playing pool in the bar underneath Times Square,Asok,Bangkok with some ladies of questionable morals and the world's best Filipino 8-ball pool player!

Edited by Bluenose BKK

I highly recommend them.

I have a friend of a friend who has studied at Walen for almost 2 years and he also highly recommends his school (Walen). However, after studying all this time he has no idea about how to use tones correctly.

lol. Sums Walen up perfectly.

I highly recommend them.

This may be incorrect but I've heard from a friend of a friend who studied at Walen that they do not teach the Thai tones or the rules for reading and writing either

This is just what I've heard so maybe someone who has studied there can please enlighten us further

We teach you all you need to know. It is done in a progressive manner.

Good advice from Mario and afterwards you'll be able to work out for yourself why Whalen isn't the most popularsad.png

All I've heard about Walen is it's American owned and they make you repeat everything twice like a child!

Also,the owner posts videos of himself on you tube playing pool in the bar underneath Times Square,Asok,Bangkok with some ladies of questionable morals and the world's best Filipino 8-ball pool player!

I am an Australian with a Polish origin. Questions in the method are asked twice so you can remember the work taught. Very well tested and very effective too.

Video was posted by my friend from Hustlers not by me. How do you know the ladies are of questionable morals? I employ over 80 wonderful Thai ladies and none is of questionable morales.

What is wrong with playing pool with world class players like Efren Rayes? I love that game. Perhaps will start Walen School of Pool. Anyway, thank you for promoting Walen. Every post helps, especially posts like this. Curiosity level always goes up. Or you can go to a school where old ladies teach, will be much fun!

A few more pictures of when Walen staff and myself are having fun.

post-46756-0-96526700-1363861430_thumb.j

post-46756-0-30376200-1363861449_thumb.j

post-46756-0-89044900-1363861473_thumb.j

post-46756-0-44223800-1363861490_thumb.j

post-46756-0-43089100-1363861502_thumb.j

post-46756-0-37030000-1363861513_thumb.j

post-46756-0-67176300-1363861526_thumb.j

post-46756-0-81772100-1363861540_thumb.j

post-46756-0-73502200-1363861562_thumb.j

post-46756-0-88547200-1363861574_thumb.j

I went to AUA a couple of months ago. The girl behind the counter was very stand-offish. A US guy was there too trying to apply for an English teaching job and was ultra polite, but the girl treated him like a mangy dog. I told her and showed her what my level is -- reading and writing -- and she just wandered off and then called another, older woman over. She was only marginally interested in me. She acted like I was completely bothering her. I asked about levels and, acting like I was massively putting her out, she tossed some brochure at me. It did not really explain about levels and I asked about a class to suit me -- speaking and reading and writing at a low/intermediate level. She said they had nothing that had all of those -- either you were in a lower level which had no written Thai, or you were in another class that did have Thai script, but not intermediate. Both females made me feel like I was taking up their valuable ass-scratching time and that I was asking moronic questions. To be honest, I have never been treated with such rudeness and disdain as I was there. It was like they didn't want me (or anyone) to actually get any information, and heaven forbid that you actually wanted to take a class. I had heard that AUA does not encourage speaking or asking questions, but I thought I would go there and find out for myself. Now I know. If the front desk is any indication, i can't imagine anyone ever even trying to go there, let alone spend any money there. The "service" there was memorably horrible.

I found your post interesting... and the exact opposit of what we experienced at AUA when we went in for information. We were led through their curriculum with kid gloves, explainations at every bend in the road. At the time, we were absolute beginners, so there was no question about what we needed, and it was suggested that we take the 2-hour/5-day a week course. There was one starting up the following week and so we signed up.

I've been a teacher all my life, teaching a dozen different subjects and disciplines over the years, and I'll simply say that I have NEVER met a better teacher more in tune with the needs of her students as taught that class! She was demanding, yet patient and understanding, able to communicate fluently in several different languages to explain to the various students (in their own languages so they would really grasp what she was trying to get across) every part of the lesson. Questions were more than welcomed, even invited, before she would move on to a new topic. There was a huge amount of new vocabulary every day that required home study, but it was presented in relevant, useful dialog format, so we could take it and use it that day in the market, post office, train station, or restaurant, as well as general conversational skills. Frankly, I was amazed at how much she really did give us! At break-time, we would stumble out of the classroom almost brainfogged...taking deep breaths to get ready to re-enter the fray! We'd see students from other classes gayly chatting in their breaks, and we wondered how come they had it so easy? We found out when we talked with them... They didn't have half the skills we'd aquired in the same amount of time. We had one damn fine teacher. Khun Oronut... I salute you!

• Like 2