Thailand's Prostitution Image Is Embarrassing

webfact

This is the most stupid biased and uninformed article i have read in awhile

To the author; wake up moron!!

That is the narrow view. I suspect the author is doing his best within cultural constraints to tell the Thai Cultural Morons that Thailand has a poor image, because Thailand earned it.

However, all too often people in ThaiVisa forums profess the same idiotic attitude - that all Thai women are prostitutes.

A friend recently asked - How do I find a good Thai woman, one who will be loyal..?? I said - don't look in bars to find such women - talk to the bank clerk, the sales girl, or the receptionist, even a college student...

I don't think any poster has suggested that "all Thai women are prostitutes", but I am surprised that so many seem prepared to sell their bodies in a straight cash transaction. As for your "college student" comment, most of the 300 short-time hotels in Chiang Mai (and the Nimmanhymen soapy) appear to be mostly powered by college students.

I personally know a hundred very hot women in Los Angeles who will bang anyone who has the right connections, rents them an apartment, leases them a nice car, or gets them an audition with a movie studio. Anyone. So, in your own incredibly narrow view of the universe, do you not consider them to be prostitutes? Nearly every woman I dated for my last 10 years in the states, would bang me only after a certain amount or dinner, gifts, and prizes. Were they not prostitutes in your narrow book? Just because a set price is established does not make the local woman more of a prostitute than tens of millions of American or European women, who will bang for gifts and prizes. Broaden your view for the sake of humanity. Do some more inner work, and try not to be so judgmental. Do you really think you are in any way superior to these local gals who bang for cash?

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

AMEN to that.

and those girls are super hot!

The primary difference is that the corruption by the police and society is much higher here.

and with the corruption comes the willingness to practice their trade openly,

in the general population, in mid-day, and right in front of you.

knowing that they are protected, or the police doesn't care.

In TL, Its no longer in the quiet hotel rooms, or the quiet bars, but walking in front of us on the beach.

not by ones or twos, but by the dozens, and sometimes the majority.

You can be embarrassed by it.

but with the level of payoff the industry supports here,

And the percentage of tourist dollars brought in by it

its better to turn a blind eye like the police does

cause it aint going away, anytime soon.

but what i want to know is

who the hell pumped up this topic?

22 pages are a lot to go thru!

Edited by jamhar

Bangkok is a dump. It is a jungle of asphalt and cement. There are no parks, no green areas. The air is filthy. The food is poison.

It would be hell on earth without Soi Cowboy, NEP and Patpong, and more generally Thai girls. I love them and they make life a little more bearable.

You give what they ask for--------You get what they give, But most never learn, 60% or so Thais will take as much as they can get most will win. BUT there are many foreigners that end up happy and smiling .

Thailand reputation of prostitution is globally recognized.

End of story.

Actually it is the beginning of the story and what this thread is about.smile.png Thailand's reputation is so globally recognized that American TV is making fun of Thailand and this offends some Thais.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

End of story.

Actually it is the beginning of the story and what this thread is about.smile.png

Indeed, debating back and forth is quite ridiculous.

So, I await them cleaning it all up. My fourth or fifth reincarnation might see some progress.

End of story.

Actually it is the beginning of the story and what this thread is about.smile.png Thailand's reputation is so globally recognized that American TV is making fun of Thailand and this offends some Thais.

It is not just American T.V, there are comedy sketches world wide and Thailand and it prostitutes are spoken about in every outhouse, doghouse and chookhouse around the world. The Thai appoligists can blame the farangs for creating the prostitution in Thailand and the reputation Thailands has but the farang and other sex tourists wouldn't be flocking here if the girls got off thier backs and stopped encouraging them with a "you so hansum and sexxy man, you have wife and want nice girl. 300 baht you have nice clean girl make good wife.

For those who condem the infamous trade they should look deep and find out if they have not contributed to some extent to its existence. After three decades seeing unnumbered cases of ' lost Farangs ' in Soi Cowboy and Nana, Surawong and Silom, and all others from North to South I feel this is part of the culture.

The trade provides solid income for those workers and their families. They grow old with the trade and it provides them with a pension.

One can not condem one nor try to beautify it, just live with it.

Do they actually save any money from their earning years? I heard it is all blown as soon as they can get it.

• Like 2

to be fair if the Thai men were not so keen in selling their women, then this problem would be no more then say in England. When a foreigner gets into a taxi in London, the driver does not ask him 'do you want lady boom boom'?

Unless its a rich Arab! smile.png

to be fair if the Thai men were not so keen in selling their women, then this problem would be no more then say in England. When a foreigner gets into a taxi in London, the driver does not ask him 'do you want lady boom boom'?

Arabs are generally muslim so they would not be sex tourists or frequent bars

They generally order in....the boys! haha!

• Like 1

Thailand reputation of prostit6ution is globally recognized.

End of story.

It is not just American T.V, there are comedy sketches world wide and Thailand and it prostitutes are spoken about in every outhouse, doghouse and chookhouse around the world. The Thai appoligists can blame the farangs for creating the prostitution in Thailand and the reputation Thailands has but the farang and other sex tourists wouldn't be flocking here if the girls got off thier backs and stopped encouraging them with a "you so hansum and sexxy man, you have wife and want nice girl. 300 baht you have nice clean girl make good wife.

Agree exactly. The problem is absolutely domestic. It is their choice.

• Like 1

End of story.

I think there is no problem.
  • Like 1

End of story.

I think there is no problem.

Unless, they are embarrassed. That's their problem to deal with.

You aren't serious are you?

You aren't serious are you?

No. sarcasmthumbsup.gif

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

Prostitution is the financial escape valve on keeping Issan from blowing up and causing a real grass roots revolution. They won't educate the poor because they may not stay under the heel as well, but let them make money to survive, no problem. And with the police as the kow tow overlords of the business, everyone going up the kow tow food chain gets a cut.

It is only since some western Jesuits and others embarrassed some HiSo's a hundred years or so back that the Thai attitude to 'visible prostitution' and visible breasts has changed. So every time a westerner makes note, or fun, of what they have learned to be embarrassed about they start moaning on about what they turn a blind eye to daily.

Pattaya, Patong, Patpong, Nana, Cowboy, are nothing more than placing the prostitution machine where those not familiar with how the country works can find it, and it is also the advertising machine that generates the trade from near and far. But once you know the country, you can see the karaoke's, dodgy massage spots, and hide your car short time hotels in NEARLY EVERY LITTLE to big TOWN and all cities, for what they do: cater to the burgeoning THAI SEX TRADE TO THAIS.

It is just part of the local scene, as long as it is sort of discrete, like no sex acts out front on the sidewalk.

You never see farangs there, you do see poorer Thais at the poorer places and richer ones in the hide your car places, and of course the huge 'Entertainment Complexes, are mostly for Thai business parties; renting multi-bedroom suites, buying bottles, mixers, take-out food and enough ladies to go around or more. The Thai equivalent of Japanese Salarymen doing Sake drink downs with the boss and the other company heads come to do business, but the thai geshias also put out to any and all.

It really is all part of the Thai culture. The Thais do not look at this flesh trade as something wrong. On the contrary, they see is part of normal daily life. If you show pity or disapproval at thai bar girls to a thai person, they will simply say something like 'why you say that, she not do anything bad'

End of story.

I really don't think that the Thais give a shit what the rest of the world thinks. I think they simply see the hypocrisy and that annoys them. Just one look at Amsterdam and the hypocrisy is easily seen. The Thais simply offer better value for money and sincere and true love at the right price. The secret to their big money tree (sex tourism) is that they bullshit better than anywhere on the planet.

• Like 1

have I got news for you. You obviously don't know London.

End of story.

I really don't think that the Thais give a shit what the rest of the world thinks. I think they simply see the hypocrisy and that annoys them. Just one look at Amsterdam and the hypocrisy is easily seen. The Thais simply offer better value for money and sincere and true love at the right price. The secret to their big money tree (sex tourism) is that they bullshit better than anywhere on the planet.

Sincere and true love have nothing to do with money. It is true that my Thai family are grateful for the financial assistance they receive from me but they love me because I spend time with the children teaching them Mathematics and improving their English language skills, something way beyond the capabilities of their schoolteachers. All the youngsters in the family now attend schools for gifted children. Anybody looking for love in Soi Cowboy is a fool.

• Like 1

have I got news for you. You obviously don't know London.

You missed the irony!

"sincere and true love at the right price". It is an oxymoron. That's an oxymoron and a bit of irony (from the other post) that you missed today! I don't doubt that there are successful relationships and genuine relationships in Thailand...oh this is boring stuff... but I have had too long in Thailand to be anything other than extremely cynical in all things Thai. I love being around Thai people and they are the most charming people on earth. But they are also the most two faced people I have ever met.

• Like 1

The most embarrassing aspect of this whole topic is the blatant hypocrisy.

A lot of western men come to Thailand and enter into cash transactions with females who we refer to as prostitutes. These men often enter into such transactions with numerous women while in the country. The women also enter into numerous transaction with men. Of course, the cash transactions primarily involve sexual acts.

Now, why is it that the females involved in these transactions are commonly viewed in such a bad light and referred to by so many highly pejorative terms, such as hooker, whore, etc., while the men involved in these transactions generally do not suffer the same poor treatment by society?

In terms of scruples or principles or morals, can we possibly consider the men who pay for sex any less culpable than the women who accept money for sex? To be reasonable and honest, we cannot condemn the women any more than the men.

To do so is absolutely hypocritical bs.

• Like 1