Traditional Street Photography

fimgirl

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ Sunshine

Great post! Thanks.

For me, that (and fimgirl's latest posts) light a fire under my seat, and makes this thread one I'd like to get involved in, despite being way out of my depth here. Generally, landscapes are my forte (if I actually have one at all), but I have got to get into the human side much more. I've recently been out and bought a new pocket camera (Canon SX700HS) for those unexpected moments, and this might just be the impetus I need to use it and open up to new experiences.....Who knows, I might even post a pic here, but only so long as it is not near one of fimgirl's!! biggrin.png

Thanks, guys!

Your landscape stuff in the "wider world" thread is exceptional. If you reach that level in the "trad. street" thread - I'm out!

Sunshine has nailed a lot but as an extension IMHO "traditional street" should at least incorporate an element of street. A space that the eye can wander into beyond the subject but complimentary to it. That space should scream "street".

Tangarao does this better than me with his obvious greater discipline to this element. I think it's important.

Just my 2c.

^^ Thank you for the kind words...... although I still maintain I've been lucky!! I love photography - or at least messing around on its periphery.

As I've said before, this whole forum leads one forward with ideas, advice, and stunning examples. Thanks to many of you guys, I am determined to improve. In fact, I am due to go off on a wee road trip later this week, so am hoping for some opportunities then, especially considering the member I am expecting to meet.

More anon!

Discipline? Me? 55555

Beautiful portrait, Fimgirl .. I love Akha dress ... I think it frames their faces beautifully.

BTW @Rob8891 isn't meeting me (that I'm aware), but I'd be happy to meet any of you guys! smile.png

No....I'm not going quite as far as CR this time... Hope to soon, though! On that topic, there is always a welcome in CM if anyone ventures this way.

I know this image doesn't 'say' much, but I like the composition, and the relative starkness of it ... so many of my images are quite dark, so this one's a bit refreshing (for me at least). The fire extinguisher sign also tickles me for no good reason. Let me know what you think.

20150108-0N7A3511.jpg

Wow! That's awesome. What's the story? Was it posed?

Not posed - candid. Shot from a restaurant balcony overlooking a rather grubby back street. Late afternoon shot provided the shadow.

The light was dying and I saw the woman approaching with the long shadows and figured something was there. Got lucky when she adopted this stance.

I know this image doesn't 'say' much, but I like the composition, and the relative starkness of it ... so many of my images are quite dark, so this one's a bit refreshing (for me at least). The fire extinguisher sign also tickles me for no good reason. Let me know what you think.

20150108-0N7A3511.jpg

I'm not so sure about the content and what you saw albeit I agree the image does have a feel to it. Maybe brightening it up a tadge will enhance the starkness element you are drawn to and separate the woman from her surroundings a little more.

See attached - hope it helps

post-134340-0-73577000-1421043616_thumb.

Your edit works better, Fimgirl. Believe it or not, I'd actually 'brightened' my version by 2/3 of a stop before posting it, so it was a whole lot darker before (I must be scared of the light, haha). It's good to get another perspective ... thanks!

Bill, your image is definitely 'street', and it's a fine image of a woman begging, but it would work better for me, if the shot was a little wider, if there was a bit more context in the image. I think it would tell a more powerful story (says he who's just posted an image with no story at all, haha).

Although my first love is wildlife photography, I find I am been drawn to cityscape & street photography. I hope the attached can be classed as "street", as it makes me think. I would be interested in comments from others

Regards Bill.

Traditional Street indeed Bill. Actually, I prefer the colour version on your Flickr site. It seems to give a warm, sympathetic feel which I think enhances the image. Good shot and lovely PP.

Another repost, for which I apologise....not looking for likes, but would welcome comments!

I can't make up my mind whether I prefer the colour version of this, or the monochrome. One shows the contrast between the bright toys and the rather grimy old lady, whilst the other emphasises (to me) the general griminess of the scene.

16261340492_70cf61507d_b.jpg

16074643368_124d33309c_b.jpg

I took this in January....and just found there was a cat lurking in the shadows when I edited the photo biggrin.png

Another repost, for which I apologise....not looking for likes, but would welcome comments!

I can't make up my mind whether I prefer the colour version of this, or the monochrome. One shows the contrast between the bright toys and the rather grimy old lady, whilst the other emphasises (to me) the general griminess of the scene.

Hi, I am no expert I like the monochrome, but I would crop out the watch stall, it take my focus off the old lady.

16261340492_70cf61507d_b.jpg

16074643368_124d33309c_b.jpg

I took this in January....and just found there was a cat lurking in the shadows when I edited the photo biggrin.png

Black and white for me Rob. The subject matter is the old woman and the colour version distracts away from her, mainly because of the overpowering red cloth.

I've said this before and it's relevant here - "colour's what you see, black and white's what you get". It's not cast in stone but cololur can "sometimes" distract.

Hope this helps

Thank you for the comments guys, much appreciated, gives me something to think about and practice. Hope to post more soon.

Rob, B&W for me, i think the facial expression stands out more.

Fimgirl, I must admit, I prefer the color version as well, but been street I thought I would go with B&W. As you say nothing is cast in stone.

Also, I never did thank you for your recommendation for Capture one, it makes a world of difference on Fuji files. Took a bit of learning, but well worth it, so thank you.

Regards Bill.

Elusive Shadow

I really like this...I've come back to it several times. It's like a scene from a strange game of chess....the Queen's shadow looks like the Knight.

...or maybe I just made my cuppa too strong tonight??? blink.png

Whatever! Nonsense apart, this is an awesome shot, Fimgirl.

Archived