Traditional Street Photography

fimgirl

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^Love the guy in the shades Ed!

I noticed him at the time but my eye was on the lady after asking permission. Then out of the blue she posed and this was the capture.

Sunshine, with this type of photographic media you never know what whats around the corner. That's why you have to get out there in the middle of people, life, events and interpret your images how YOU see them. Forget what is right or wrong as long as you have the foresight and thought that you want to point a camera and take a shot is good enough for me. Practice in Photography never makes perfect but we keep trying!

I noticed him at the time but my eye was on the lady after asking permission. Then out of the blue she posed and this was the capture.

Sunshine, with this type of photographic media you never know what whats around the corner. That's why you have to get out there in the middle of people, life, events and interpret your images how YOU see them. Forget what is right or wrong as long as you have the foresight and thought that you want to point a camera and take a shot is good enough for me. Practice in Photography never makes perfect but we keep trying!

Great comment and I like your photos and also your ideology, your photos are also a pleasant treat in this photography subforum, which I appreciate as will many others. I also welcome you with open arms.

I am more than sure you will receive a pleasant comment from Sunshine, he's been out there in the midst of people and life events, not knowing what was round the corner many times.

Howdy Ed...greetings from Rangoon on my last day here. Been on assignment for 45 days and it's almost

come to an end. Some bits easy some bits not, however it's been one hell of a great adventure and no...it's

not my first time in Burma...been here many times in the past and hope to be here many more times in the

future.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the "what's around the corner?" One never knows do they?! That's the

really neat part of photography...especially streets & people...one never knows and I like that. Yes one must

get "out there amongst em"...how else is one to grab that one shot...or a dozen shots...or an entire roll?

"They"...whatever that means & I' m not or ever will be politically correct...surely won't come to you will they!

Besides...being out amongst the locals is much better than trying to understand local TV...hah! One may

make new friends for a lifetime or at the least...while one "is there".

To me there is no right or wrong in taking any photograph, regardless of the subject matter or what the

subject may vocalise after the shutter is released...which...I have found out over the years is mostly

amazement. If ...the photog approaches the immediate subject in a calm & friendly manner. It doesn't

matter what camera is beng used really...as long as the approach is gentle. That's my way of thinking

and after doing it for nearly 40 years I have had nearly zero agro save for some old hag in Mong Kok,

Kowloon, Hong Kong who had a rather large chopper and kill the gweilo in her mind...at 0530.

Right & Wrong....geeze...what is that? Now I'm no Winogrand but I have jammed a lens in some folks

faces when they were not expecting it...got some good frames...got more bad ones though so I stopped

doing that. I never ask "permission" verbally although I may gesture with the camera I'm using and the

subject usually agrees about 5 seconds after I get the shot(s) I want. Then I take another couple frames

so I have something to give the subject...provided I have time to do so. Yes...I am the type of photog

who really does go to no ends to give the people I photograph a few copies of what I have shot of them.

Many of us do not do this, mainly due to time constraints or just being/having the Holier than thou

attitude...but I really try and try very hard as it may mean the world to those folks. It's just a simple

gesture...and very meaningful to the recipients. Who knows...they may save your ass one day.

Or make you marry the daughter...!

Practice in photography... Yeah matey...why do doctors "practice medecine"? I don't want one

to practice on me, I want him/her to be a pro...no journeymen allowed...hah! But you're right and I

agree 100%...every time we head out...wherever "out" may be...we practice. Sometimes we get

it right, sometimes we fail...to me what seperates a "professional" from all else is that we simply

fail less than others. That doesn't mean we stop or cease to practice though...perhaps we no longer

call it practice, opting for "getting used to the new camera" or whatever instead....but in the end we're

still practicing...right!? And besides...it's fun.

And no two photogs see the same subject in the same way do they? When I took a good look at

your photo of the lady my eye went from left to right and saw the dude in the shades and the look

on his face. Now to me...without him in the shot, it would just simply be another posed shot of a

woman in a market/stall and I wouldn't have posted a comment although perhaps a like may have

slipped in. But with that feller...yeah, you got a comment. Because to me he makes the shot a better

shot.

OK enough from me...I just heard on the BBC World Service(shortwave) that a programme presenter

just asked someone in West Africa how Ebola is effecting their Christmas Celebrations....man, daft or

what...forget it....but a few lines from my departed old friend Douglas Adams to close....it fits...in an

offbeat kinda way...

“You cannot see what I see because you see what you see. You cannot know what I know because

you know what you know. What I see and what I know cannot be added to what you see and what you

because they are not of the same kind. Neither can it replace what you see and what you know, because

that would be to replace you yourself."____Douglas Adams

Happy Holidays & Best Wishes for the New Year to you & yours Ed...

SS

I must say I really enjoy sunshine's philosophical thoughts of the photography. Taking photos is not just an technical process, but includes a lot of thought process behind the scenes. There is also a lot of psychology involved.

I have noted that when I feel blue, I simply do not take photos. When I'm happy, I'm like a radar scanning the environment for possible targets and angles how to make the shot. All the way to the point that just few days ago I was thinking that I'll probably some day get accident while riding my scooter, simply because I spend too much available brain capacity for looking photo ops, and not enough to the traffic itself.

For me this traditional street photography thread is probably the most demanding field there is. It's not just taking shots of streets with people on it, but the photos should also include the thoughts of the people who are in the photos.

I'll still include this, even if she is not looking at the customer nor the camera which caught her. The concept of the photo is that she is probably doing an illegal touting and she is aware of it.

16100823585_6201bd3184_z.jpg

Liking that vietnamese underground-prison-camp-window smoke, tangaroasmile.png . What was was so funny there?

He was recounting an anecdote.

I really loved the light in that place. The way the smoke from the fire danced around in the shafts of light was truly captivating. I made some images that had better smoke/light, but this was my favourite ... I really liked his expression.

2. Because it wants to go on the other side of the road

bit simplistic that.... I think its trying to make a move whilst the farang is otherwise occupied with the baby.

I am obviously walking in its direction and as we know chickens will always try to cross ahead of us and not behind... it is as if we are pulling a curtain behind us and if they don't make a dash for it they will never be able to cross once we have passed..... ( IMHO ).

2. Because it wants to go on the other side of the road

bit simplistic that.... I think its trying to make a move whilst the farang is otherwise occupied with the baby.

I am obviously walking in its direction and as we know chickens will always try to cross ahead of us and not behind... it is as if we are pulling a curtain behind us and if they don't make a dash for it they will never be able to cross once we have passed..... ( IMHO ).

Poultry in motion.... whistling.gif

Archived