Traditional Street Photography

fimgirl

This topic has been traditionally our most controversial (as well as most giving) topic on the Photo forum.

Different people have different ideas. That should be a good thing in general. At some point there is some sort of consensus and everybody are mutually unhappy, but at the same time, hopefully, everybody have learned a bit more from each other.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This topic has been traditionally our most controversial (as well as most giving) topic on the Photo forum.

Different people have different ideas. That should be a good thing in general. At some point there is some sort of consensus and everybody are mutually unhappy, but at the same time, hopefully, everybody have learned a bit more from each other.

Agree totally, though users need to post into a thread which they feel the image falls into right?

Agree totally, though users need to post into a thread which they feel the image falls into right?

Partly so and partly in a way that this is a community where everybody should find the best ways to get along.

I'm not qualified enough to say if for example your photo belongs under this topic. If our more experienced members give better advices, I think it's worth of listening. I'm more than happy to learn from more experienced photographers what the definition is or what it could become after a good discussion. However discussion simply need to be polite, no matter what. This as a general advice and related generally to the forum.

I agree, I have no intention of fighting about what image should be in what category, I did not join or post here to fight or disrespect anybody, we all shoot for work or pleasure.

I join here to talk to other photographers in Thailand, thats all, if any of my images offend or are posed in the wrong section then feel free to delete.

I don't think you can be categoric about what constitutes 'street' and what doesn't ... there are so many shades of grey. I certainly don't think an image necessarily needs a human subject to make a persuasive image. Sometimes it's the absence of a human subject that makes an image utterly compelling. An image of the piles of possessions of concentration camp victims (shoes for example) springs to mind ... those images are all the more powerful for the absence of people.

MrHitchens image of a bank of unused phone booths (whilst not the greatest image ever made [apologies, Mr Hitchens]), does say something interesting about redundancy ... that everything has its time (which then passes). At least it does to me.

Rob8891, on 01 Feb 2015 - 00:12, said:

1. I clicked 'like' before posting. To me, this photo has an almost 1920s England feel to it.

2. I'm just waiting for someone to complain it isn't a street...... whistling.gif

Must be 1920's , cant see any phone booths wink.png

Street photography is often thought of as requiring people in it but that isn't a set rule. When the street photographer's focus is predominantly on people it can be one of the most challenging genre of photography, both on a personal level (fear, embarrassment, legal concerns, etc.) and subject level, that is trying to pick someone in the photograph that tells a story about life through their eyes. A good article on it below. The last paragraph is germaine to the recent concerns in this topic.

Eugene Atget has always been sort of an enigma to me. When I started to delve into the history of street photography, a lot of people credited him to being one of the “fathers of street photography.” But when I first looked at his work, I was a bit confused. Most of his photos didn’t have any people in them. His photos were mostly of the architecture of Paris: doorways, arches, door handles, street facades, and the streets themselves.

I always thought that street photography had to include people in it. But Atget was talked about thoroughly in “Bystander: A History of Street Photography” by acclaimed photo historian Colin Westerbeck and by the great Joel Meyerowitz.

Westerbeck further explains the relevance of Eugene Atget by writing the following:

“While stop action images of people are bound to figure prominently in many collection of street photographs, this book also contains many pictures in which there are no people at all. The most salient examples are to be found in the works of Eugene atget. Yet even he was, through implication and inference, trying to show us life onthestreets. Suggesting presence in these midst of absence, he was attempting to reveal the character of the street as it inherited in the setting itself. Like every other practitioner of this genre, he wandered the streets with his camera, looking for what would they be called photo opportunities. More important, he’d was also like every other street photographer in his readiness to respond to errant details, chance juxtapositions, odd non sequiturs, peculiarities of scale, the quirkiness of life on the streets.”

More here - Eric Kim Street Photography Blog

Couple of shots from today at Sapan Taksin

Wow! Love this shot ... SOOO cool. It irks me a tad that his fingers were cropped, but otherwise, perfect!

Thanks mate, yes I noticed I had uploaded an image with cropped fingers, put the forum would not let me go back and edit the post.

Here is another seemed I have shot s lot today post edit will take a while I guess.

DSC_1748-Editcopy_zps6a03a478.jpg

Thank you and yes I never intended it to be the greatest image,555

Redundancy of the old Phone booths these days was all I was trying to show in a still image.

​Would never of been a great shot though something we all can understand.

here u said where ur photo should be

Redundancy of the old Phone booths these days was all I was trying to show in a still image.

TO me "traditional street photography" does include a person/people

Love ur above image with the guy swinging. IMHO; i think it would even be better if u cropped a bit off the right,

from the upright pole.

swing_zps0025a380.jpg

Just my 10 Baht worth

Archived