Staff Changes At Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration

LeCharivari

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the Thai man you're all talking about but in all my years here I've never actually had any PROBLEM from him. Maybe he likes me?!?

I think I know the man. He is one of the higher ranking officers there. I have also never had a problem with him. In fact I always find him very helpful.

Recently he has been stuck behind the info desk (at the coal face of all the stupid questions and ill-prepared moaning minnie expats). I'm not surprised he has become a bit of a sourpuss. Bet he wishes he could carry his gun.

I know the Thai man you're all talking about but in all my years here I've never actually had any PROBLEM from him. Maybe he likes me?!?

I think I know the man. He is one of the higher ranking officers there. I have also never had a problem with him. In fact I always find him very helpful.

Recently he has been stuck behind the info desk (at the coal face of all the stupid questions and ill-prepared moaning minnie expats). I'm not surprised he has become a bit of a sourpuss. Bet he wishes he could carry his gun.

You think he's suicidal as well ?

You think he's suicidal as well ?

He may have 'assisted suicide' on his mind.

• Like 1

John completed the required form with photos, lease agreement in original plus copy, bank balance certificate in original & copy etc..The Thai man behind the counter at the Jomtien immigration information desk pointed out that there were 2 weeks left to run. He refused to issue a queue number and asked John to "go away". As John was travelling he explained that extending the retirement visa for one year was something he wished to do before travelling overseas. Apparently the man behind the information desk was unmoved and waved John away pointing to the people waiting.

John turned to the new person (who replaced Barry, I gather). The new person (Jobsworth, I understand) was most unhelpful and rude to boot.....

With only two weeks to go he should have had no problem at all renewing his retirement extension - you've always been able to renew it up to a month in advance to allow for those travelling at renewal time so they do not have to go through the whole process from scratch. What is a possibility is that he wanted a re-entry permit at the same time and made the mistake of asking for that first and neither of them listened to him about renewing his retirement extension - sometimes there is a considerable queue for re-entry permits and those applying in advance are told to come back nearer their flight date.

I think you're thinking of someone else - I can't remember what he was doing in Pattaya when Immigration was there, but he's been "stuck behind the info desk" in Jomtien for years.

He's a Captain - the same as most of the commissioned officers there, and not a particularly high rank.

I think you're thinking of someone else - I can't remember what he was doing in Pattaya when Immigration was there, but he's been "stuck behind the info desk" in Jomtien for years.

He's a Captain - the same as most of the commissioned officers there, and not a particularly high rank.

...As for 90 day reports I’ve been bringing a copy of my driver’s license, front and back (as it has my address on the back of it) and so far that’s been accepted. Then again, next time who knows…

A friend of mine does the same for both his 90 days and Extensions and has never had any problems - he also uses the licence to get a proof of address from Immigration when renewing his licence!

Funny, isn't it, given the fact that the address on the driving license is based on a letter from Immigration. w00t.gif

"Funny"? .... I thought it was "amazing", but it works for him!

OK - I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that this guy was mostly behind the scenes until the last 18 months or so.

Nevertheless, quite honestly, if I had to put up with all the crap that those guys get every day (and if I had a gun) I'd probably go postal.

I think the Pattaya Immigration Department has improved their service by leaps and bounds since they moved to Jomtien. Anyone remember the old office behind Beach road police post ?

OK - I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that this guy was mostly behind the scenes until the last 18 months or so.

Nevertheless, quite honestly, if I had to put up with all the crap that those guys get every day (and if I had a gun) I'd probably go postal.

I think the Pattaya Immigration Department has improved their service by leaps and bounds since they moved to Jomtien. Anyone remember the old office behind Beach road police post ?

So you consider handing out a queue number and some forms is considered putting up with foreigner crap ?

By the way, Immigration has never been behind the police station on beach road, it was in soi 8 opposite the Flipper lodge hotel.

Edited by jbrain

Pattaya police station is between Soi 8 and soi 9. I suppose I should have said NEAR to Pattaya Police Station. The point is that the service there was vastly inferior to that which is provided at their Jomtien
office. From what I have seen there, about 50% of applicants have not even bothered to bring with them the correct documents for their application.

Of course, I am not seriously suggesting that the immigration officers should be permitted to shoot the foreigners who turn up ill prepared. Maybe just give them a good slap.

Edited by chickenslegs

Came back at 12.55, the Thai information guy completely blanked me as he sat there shuffling envelopes (i can remember this guy from soi 8) .

This "Thai information guy" was as rude as ever yesterday. They'd be doing themselves a huge favour if they could get rid of this guy or put him somewhere where he doesn't need to deal with the public. They couldn't do any worse.

It wouldn't be difficult to put a long list of complaints together to facilitate his removal if anyone was motivated enough. Over the last 7 years on this forum I've read hundreds of complaints about him. Most of us just deal with it, get the unpleasant business done and try to forget about the place for 90 days.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

So that bloke on the front desk has been there 20+ years?? That explains a lot.

Don't like the sound of this new Belgian bloke, but he's new and eager, there's nothing worse than queuing for a queue number.. especially when you've been in and out of that office for 10 years and know the system well and better than him by the sounds of it.

There is no way you could replace Barry Kenyon, the bloke is simple irreplaceable..

The 90 day reporting is a farce, I pulled a fast one the other day and decided to do it in Korat, what a lovely quiet office.. I explained that I was away from Pattaya for a while and needed to do my 90 day report, they said I can't with the paperwork I had already filled-in and told me instead to put down my Wife's house in Korat instead, absolutely no photocopies or other documents/proofs required.

I am convinced that all the paperwork the Pattaya office make you hand in just get collected and recycled daily for cash. That's after you've done all the unnecessary photocopying at the chiefs wife's photocopy shop.

Also, blank lease agreements are sold in the bookstore in Central Beach Road...

Edited by Satcommlee

From what I have seen there, about 50% of applicants have not even bothered to bring with them the correct documents for their application.

LOL It's nearly impossible for foreigners to know exactly what documents to bring. Even the staff at the front desk don't know exactly what documents are required. They all make it up as they go.

I've had the front desk staff say I need docs the back staff didn't want and visa versa.

I went to Soi 5 for my 90 Day Report and my Retirement Extension today

I find this a little strange! If your applying an extension why do a 90 day report? I'm led to believe the fact that the extension was granted covers this reporting period.

After getting the extension we, here in Udon Thani, actually get a sticker placed in our passports reminding us when the next Report is due, which is 90 days from when the extension was applied NOT due. Any previous reporting timetables are zeroed.

Extension and 90 day reporting are two sepperate requirements. One doesn't replace the other.

100% correct.

• Like 1

Ahh the Thai Information Officer.

Simply needs to be transfered off to an inactive post! Totally unsuitable to a customer facing position.

In other words a complete ****! Unhelpful, dis-interested, mildly rude at times, unfriendly, mean and miffed, etc, etc

What are they thinking putting this man out as the meet-and-greet first contact point. It's a suicidal appointment in terms of PR!!

Of course nobody wants to upset him as we try to extend our stay etc, so he can make the most of his position as he sits there combing his hair etc and ignoring people. Though I find his surly and unhelpful attitude worst of all, once his attention is offered. In a position where offering help is his basic job requirement he doesn't even merit a grade - at all!

Regarding having to run off and get extra photocopies. I asked one of the helpful girls what was needed for re-entry permit and told copy passport and one photo. My ticket number is called and then told I need copy of 2 additional pages. I suspect 70% of us need to dash out and get at least one additional passport page copy and that it's a well worn policy to make us feel like we are back at school being sent out of class having got something wrong - Seems unavoidable unless you photocopy the lot and forget about what's stated as required or told in advance.

Edited by twix38
  • Like 1

One year, I was missing one copy that was needed, and the officer actually made it for me. For free. I was in total shock. At least I think that happened. It could have been a hallucination or some kind of dream that I am confusing with real life.

Was it the lady that does the 1 year family extensions? I have heard of this happening before, I did not believe it..

One year, I was missing one copy that was needed, and the officer actually made it for me. For free. I was in total shock. At least I think that happened. It could have been a hallucination or some kind of dream that I am confusing with real life.

Was it the lady that does the 1 year family extensions? I have heard of this happening before, I did not believe it..

It was a retirement extension and it was a man. I really remember it happening but thinking about it now, it seems impossible to even imagine.
  • Like 1

I agree entirely with the OP. I was at immigration last week for my retirement extension and re-entry visa.My time inside the office was somewhat longer due to a lot ahead of me at counters 1 and 2 for the permit. Nevertheless all the Thai officers were efficient and professional. I got my stamps as all my papers were in order.

However:

The information officer seemed stressed. Maybe the very tight winkle pickers he was wearing were uncomfortable. (For those not around in the 1960's that means shoes with pointed toes).

But worst of all was "jobsworth". Talk about self important. I don't believe his first language is English as his politeness skills are wanting and he was begrudging in giving me my queue ticket. Later when I was seated in the waiting area he was walking passed me staring at me and scowling.

i suspect he is something like ex police and treats others as criminals.

I would urge anyone who gets poor treatment from him to make a complaint to the head of immigration.

Its a pity they cannot bring back Barry Kenyon and I do wonder why these odd balls namely jobsworth get employed.

ps for the retirement extension they require prove of address(eg lease copy). Luckily I brought such a copy but some there did not and seemed to be taken by surprise.

Yes, I was there in December. Both Barry and the new guy were around then. Did the annual extension application quickly and was told to come back at 3:00 in the afternoon to collect the passport.

Came to reclaim my passport a bit early and was heading back to the desk towards the back of the of the office when this character appeared, blocked my way and wanted to see the card I had been given. He wasn't wearing an ID, or at least it wasn't visible and I hadn't asked for his assistance. I was told to sit down and wait until 3:00. I waited until he disappeared and went to the desk, collected the passport and left before he reappeared.

I've never had any complaints about the Thai staff there and the only time Barry ever got involved in my business was when I approached him with a question. This new person clearly has self-importance issues that could make an otherwise uneventful visit to Chonburi Immigrations a good deal less pleasant.

I live in the Korat region and they are brilliant. ..polite efficient and quite willing to go out of their way to assist in problem solving Keep it up ladies...... very few men working at Korat Imm

Thanks for sharing, but this doesn't help the people who have to deal with Jomtien Immigration one bit, but only makes us jealous ! thumbsup.gif

wai.gif

I live in the Korat region and they are brilliant. ..polite efficient and quite willing to go out of their way to assist in problem solving Keep it up ladies...... very few men working at Korat Imm

Thanks for sharing, but this doesn't help the people who have to deal with Jomtien Immigration one bit, but only makes us jealous ! thumbsup.gif

wai.gif

It won't entice me to live in the Korat region though...

Maybe you have another secret admirer, apart from the non smiling Charlie at the front door. laugh.png Jingthing, the heartthrob of the Immigration department. Lucky you. smile.png

We all do darling. We all do. laugh.png

He's not really a problem rather than just annoying.

He didn't like my wife though.... sent her home to change as she was wearing shorts, but you can get away with wearing a tank top, shorts and slippers if you're a guy.

Would it be too much trouble, let alone more efficient, if Immigration produced a booklet or displayed a prominent flowchart specifying exactly what documentation should be provided in any particular case? I wouldn't care if they made a charge to cover the expense of producing a handbook. I suppose that that would eat into the profits of the photocopying shop. On the other hand replacing it with a translation centre might make money.

BTW if you need confirmation that you are still the right side of the grass, there is an officer who will provide verification that you are still upright and breathing to satisfy pension suppliers and such like. I have never been charged for this service and on two occasions the event was so pleasant and friendly that I returned shortly after wards with a cheap bottle of what passes for Scotch.

I cannot understand why more people do not scan all the documentation relating to any dealings with any authority and run off two copies of everything before presenting oneself to be processed. Anything than allow oneself to be be scammed. Remember the black and white photographs required when the only shop in Pattaya able to provide them was right opposite the Soi Immigration offices?

Done my 90 day report only last week phone bill was fine .But now they want 1 copy of visa and passport that is new from my last 90 day report . as for Mr unhelpful he has been the same for the last 12 years about time he was replaced with someone that has manners .I remember when i first went to do my single parent visa i told him what i came to do without him looking at my paper work he automatically told me to go to court to get a letter and refusing to even look at my folder . i managed to by pass him to get to the Family desk and showed the helpful lady there my paper work and everything was all in order maybe i would of still been on visa run's if i had just walked out !!!!!

Done my 90 day report only last week phone bill was fine .But now they want 1 copy of visa and passport that is new from my last 90 day report .

They don't need a photocopy of your visa. They need the front ID page, your last entry stamp and TM6. This is quite reasonable really as they need to ascertain with certainty you've been in the country for 90 days.

Done my 90 day report only last week phone bill was fine .But now they want 1 copy of visa and passport that is new from my last 90 day report .

They don't need a photocopy of your visa. They need the front ID page, your last entry stamp and TM6. This is quite reasonable really as they need to ascertain with certainty you've been in the country for 90 days.

well i'm sorry to say that they did want a copy of my visa i made 2 copies for my next visit .even say's on the box where you get the forms from 1 copy of id page and 1 copy of visa