The Big Mac Index And Thailand

MrWorldwide

http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index

Some claim its a surprisingly accurate gauge re economic realities from one country to another (Viva Argentina !), others that its an amusing time-waster - whatever you think, it's interesting to look at the differences between the 'raw' and 'adjusted' indexes : when you take 'GDP per person' into account, Thailand's position on the chart changes dramatically (as does Australia's). I'm not an economist, so I'll leave it to others to make their own conclusions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_mac_index

Edited by MrWorldwide

I always used to use the analogy that how many Pints of beer in a pub would your weekly wage buy..

Talking to the older generation, they would reminisce about the figure being like 300, but now people would say less than 100..

This Big Mac thing is not really a good comparative scale, taxes and VAT/GST vary from country to country..

I prefer the beer scale!

• Like 1

I always used to use the analogy that how many Pints of beer in a pub would your weekly wage buy..

Talking to the older generation, they would reminisce about the figure being like 300, but now people would say less than 100..

This Big Mac thing is not really a good comparative scale, taxes and VAT/GST vary from country to country..

I prefer the beer scale!

I use the beer scale too. "That's only a few Euros" just doesn't have the same impact as "that's a few pints"

Edited by mopar71

I prefer the beer scale!

Last I checked liquor taxes vary per country too :)

Wasn’t this BigMac thing started by that clown Thomas Friedman who writes for the New York Times, Friedman also said that no two countries that sell BigMacs have ever gone to war!!!!!!

Friedman is not an economist, and having read some of his books that’s amazingly obvious.

Wasn’t this BigMac thing started by that clown Thomas Friedman who writes for the New York Times, Friedman also said that no two countries that sell BigMacs have ever gone to war!!!!!!

Friedman is not an economist, and having read some of his books that’s amazingly obvious.

johna, is there any chance you could take a chill pill, please ? I did make the point at the start of this thread that it wasn't a universally accepted gauge of anything, but it makes for interesting reading when you consider how we view the relative 'wealth' pf countries in the region. Personally, it makes as much sense as some of the economic predictions being doled out by TV members on a daily basis, Given that even professional economists get it wrong when they drag out their crystal balls each year. I dont see the problem in having a little fun with the Big Mac Index. McDonald's Corporation doesn't grant franchises without doing market research - clearly, someone is buying their products in each of the countries listed in the index.

You seem to be taking this thread far too seriously - it wasn't meant to raise anyone's blood pressure.

Friedman knows nothing about economics, and you do? What is your occupation, just as a matter of interest?

Each to his own, Col Mustard. The longest I've spent in Thailand at any one time is only 3 months - it may well be that one does come to want something different over a longer period. I'm no Puritan when it comes to junk food - I really like the food from the Thai 'chicken and Pizza' chain (name escapes me) near Emporium / Benjasiri Park - not sure if it would have survived the Wa Square redevelopment but the food was excellent. Definitely more expensive than Maccas, but I guess we get what we pay for.

Big Mac index is fun, but too much under the influence of one company. And in the USA, MacDonalds is considered the lowest rung of eating out whereas in many countries, it's considered a real treat.

I also like "weeks you work to buy one square meter of housing" or

"months you work to buy a car" or

"minutes you work to pay for lunch (regardless of quality)"

"minutes you work to pay for bottled water or a Coke, etc"

Edited by impulse

The Big Mac index only works in countries where the McDonald's meal is the cheapest meal available.

Exactly. The Big Mac index is completely useless in countries where McDonalds is a mid priced restaurant instead of the cheapest junk available. It is aimed at a totally different market in Thailand than in the US, and is priced far higher than cheap local food.

Additionally this index would change a lot just based on what menu item you use. Change it to a double cheeseburger for instance, and suddenly Thailand is MORE expensive than the US. A double cheeseburger here is about $3, in the US it was $1.20 last time I had one.

True, and that's where Malaysia does get expensive, but the point about it being cheaper in Malaysia is an interesting one. I just dont understand why anyone would eat Maccas over Thai street food ....

Because you've gotten food poisoning for the second time in a two week trip and you just want to eat something you know won't make you sick :)

"weeks you work to buy one square meter of housing" - 0.5 weeks

"months you work to buy a car" - 2 months

"minutes you work to pay for lunch (regardless of quality)" - 15 min

"minutes you work to pay for bottled water or a Coke, etc" - 2 min

But you and I don't count in a survey of Thailand...

True, and that's where Malaysia does get expensive, but the point about it being cheaper in Malaysia is an interesting one. I just dont understand why anyone would eat Maccas over Thai street food ....

Because you've gotten food poisoning for the second time in a two week trip and you just want to eat something you know won't make you sick smile.png

I guess we have had different experiences, but Pnomh Penh remains the only city to ever poison me. 48 hours of violent diarrhea and projectile vomiting in a very amusing sequence that had me perched on the edge of that bowl for hours at a time - Pol Pot himself would have approved

(granted, it can happen anywhere - people are poisoned in Sydney on a regular basis - but I thought my number was up at a roadside cafe en route to Bandung. My hosts insisted that I try a pastry (!) that the cafe was famous for, but the hygiene in that place was abysmal - right up to the generator sitting in the middle of the floor to run the fridge. Nothing like diesel fumes to make a mid-morning snack truly memorable, but all I got was a touch of the squirts. Cambo definitely evened the scales, though - any illusion that I had 'cast iron guts' completely vanished)