Electricity Prices … Is There A Farming Rate?

David48

Electricity Prices … Is there a Farming Rate?

Guys, I remember reading some time ago that there is a lower
rate for electricity that is available for the Farmers if they can prove that
the some/most of their electricity use went into Farm Production.

My memory is scratchy as to the exact details … hence my
question to the Forum.

Share your knowledge and thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance ...

Edited by David48

Hello All, yes there was a post on this forum with a link to

the electric Co. that gave rates for a meter to run pumps

for irrigation at a lower rate than house rates. It's been 3-4

years ago. It may be on one of the borehole/well threads,

maybe check with your locale electric office.

rice555

• Like 1

Hello All, yes there was a post on this forum with a link to

the electric Co. that gave rates for a meter to run pumps

for irrigation at a lower rate than house rates. It's been 3-4

years ago. It may be on one of the borehole/well threads,

maybe check with your locale electric office.

rice555

Thanks for that tip.

Just read back through the Pinned Borehole topic.

Some amazing info there, but I didn't see the electricity statement I was looking for.

Question is David, have you just bought a farm and want to put electricity to it, or do you have a farm with a supply allready?

Also, if you have bought the land and want to build a house, you could ask for 2 meters, 1 for house other for land, irrigation ect, i really do think there is a reduced farmers cost for irrigation ect,

Eg, when i was fruit farming, had a 1hp bore pump and a 2hp booster pump to power five big radius sprinklers in the dry season, i fitted a timer so the system worked at night, less water loss to hot sun ect, in the dry season both pumps would be working 6/8 hours, never had a bill over 260bht per month,

But, as others have said, worth checking at the local agri office and elec company, get your mrs to do this, and ask farming neigbours also,

Guys ... thanks warmly for the advice above (rice555 and Jim) and to loong for kindly locating the exact link.

To answer Lickey, my gf's parents run a modest Fish and Shrimp Farm and I'm always looking for helpful suggestions for the Farm.

One day we will build a modest house there.

Plus there is an option to buy one of the neighbouring relatives' Farms, so, like any good businessman, I'm looking to reduce the input costs as it is one of the few things over which you have an element of control.

If/when I investigate this further, I'll post the findings here.

David, mrs just woke up, and i asked the question, it seems in our part of issan, that if you use under 90units, its free, if you exceed that say by 5 units, you pay all at household rates, no special deals for farmers?

But if you know someone who can look at your meter, blah blah blah,

• Like 1

David, mrs just woke up, and i asked the question, it seems in our part of issan, that if you use under 90units, its free, if you exceed that say by 5 units, you pay all at household rates, no special deals for farmers?

Same here only a few homes pay for the electricity, free for the small TV and one light set. Jim
  • Like 1

The under 90 unit- "Free", that was during the Abhisit government then, now the new rule is under 50 unit from the Yingluck government.

The rules and conditions to apply for electricity for farm land: Location apply, not more than 100m less 1m (99m). For residental: Location apply, not more than 40m less 1m (39m).

My farm is 330m from the main road, there's a price different between if you want the meter to be fix to the post near the main road or if you'd like it fix to the last erected post at the farm 330m away. Huge different ! They called it "Area Coverage Expansion (Kar yai khat)" Cost for ACE is at ฿12'000 per post (30m apart between each post) JUST the location for fixture of the meter, in my case it is 12 posts away from the main road and it would be ฿144'000 for a meter fixture location EXCLUDING the whole setup that cost ฿75'000.

I got them to fix it to the post near the main road.laugh.png

Here's some pictures.

post-42398-0-02707000-1361773869_thumb.jpost-42398-0-65497000-1361773880_thumb.jpost-42398-0-21803100-1361773896_thumb.jpost-42398-0-39854400-1361773905_thumb.jpost-42398-0-47900300-1361773934_thumb.jpost-42398-0-79387300-1361773952_thumb.jpost-42398-0-40353900-1361773967_thumb.jpost-42398-0-08218900-1361773980_thumb.jpost-42398-0-02649100-1361774005_thumb.jpost-42398-0-80679500-1361774020_thumb.jpost-42398-0-07715600-1361774036_thumb.j

Note: It took me almost a year to get the approval for the meter, the posts were erected on April 2012 and the meter was approved on Feb 2013. I was told that I'm the last person in the whole province to be approved for the distance of more than 100m (99m), no one will get it from now on. Phew~~~*

I was smiling ear to ear for 5 days. laugh.png

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 2

On our home farm we have registered 3 houses so we get 3 bills one house really is just a storage shed for fertilizer and has the switch for the water pump, by doing this and splitting the bill 3 ways we sometime may only pay the bill on one home.

Speaking of electricity, we use a lot. For years we have paid the bill at the local power company office or to the meter reader. Few pay for power out here and those that do, pay little.

Last November we had a visit from a guy from the head office, inquiring why we had not paid any electricity in 3 years.

Lucky, wife kept the receipts, seems the boss of the local power company had been pocketing the money from us and other non free power homes.

Believe he is enjoying some quality time in a room with 20 others. Jim

Edited by jamescollister
  • Like 2

On our home farm we have registered 3 houses so we get 3 bills one house really is just a storage shed for fertilizer and has the switch for the water pump, by doing this and splitting the bill 3 ways we sometime may only pay the bill on one home.

Yes ... that thought had crossed my mind ... biggrin.png

I'd appreciate electricity at any rate at the farm.

What alternatives do you use?

Yours would be an interesting situation ... would like to know more.

From what i have learned is that if you use below B100 and are respected as a genuine farmer using this small amount of electricity you are eligible for the cheap(0) rate...

My farm family (fridge/thai tv/phone chargers) use up about B230/month on elec. After my stay (using the chargers and tv more) their bill was up B200..

FYIwai.gif

• Like 1

I'd appreciate electricity at any rate at the farm.

What alternatives do you use?

Yours would be an interesting situation ... would like to know more.

We are about a kilometer from the grid and rely on a 5,000 watt generator for water from a borehole and the Tak Tak to pump from the pond.

• 6 months later...