Who Wai's Who?

sms747

I think people who do that (farang) look like knobs!!!

OK, we just got through the "yobs" name-calling. Now please someone instruct me as to what a "knob" is so that I can feel properly insulted. whistling.gif

Edited by Fookhaht

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit that I wai very few people though I return a few. At my age (69) and having a professional background those who matter generally wai me first. I do sometimes wai as thanks for example when my passport is returned from my visa and initiate a wai to the OIC of the immigration department when he waves at me and yells how am I across the room, most of the others at Immigration initiate a wai first which I may return or nod and smile as I feel appropriate..

I do not wai monks in general though there are a few I do. This is a personal expression of my belief that the practice the monks profess to practice does not require that.

As I have previously said I do always return wais from children who are doing so in a polite manner even if they are giggling with embarrassment at doing so.

Edited by harrry

Soooooooooo, lets turn this around a bit, hoping to get an answer from the guys who ''think'' they are better than the natives and don't do the Wai thing.

Do you Mr.farang take your shoes off when visiting a Thai Temple or Thai folks residences in LOS ? Which is something WE farangs do not do in farangland, ie: Church or any house.. coffee1.gif

Soooooooooo, lets turn this around a bit, hoping to get an answer from the guys who ''think'' they are better than the natives and don't do the Wai thing.

Do you Mr.farang take your shoes off when visiting a Thai Temple or Thai folks residences in LOS ? Which is something WE farangs do not do in farangland, ie: Church or any house.. coffee1.gif

I nod in reply to a wai, I take my shoes off in people houses and temples but I dont grow my finger nail so I can pick my nose.

• Like 1

I nod in reply to a wai, I take my shoes off in people houses and temples but I dont grow my finger nail so I can pick my nose.
It is not your nose you pick with it smile.png

Well I don't know about that , but I refuse to wai the worker when I tell him to pump my tyres upto 54.

thank you for taking care for our culture.

difficult to say 100% but what you do good

your sister in law wrong … sure

why she do like this, I not know.

maybe she want to get big face by get you to do first.

I talked to a good friend of mine who is the director where I work at the university. He said age is precedent as to who wai's first even beyond position/status (up to a point that is, if your boss then you are generally required to wai first). He stated the OP's wife is definitely wrong in requiring him to wai her sisters who are younger. He also doesn't know why she would say that and my thoughts were the same as above and perhaps trying to make face in front of the family.

There is a government minister who came to visit who is younger than my friend and as minister a higher status position but yet he initiates the wai to my friend and it is due to age difference.

• Like 1

I talked to a good friend of mine who is the director where I work at the university. He said age is precedent as to who wai's first even beyond position/status (up to a point that is, if your boss then you are generally required to wai first). He stated the OP's wife is definitely wrong in requiring him to wai her sisters who are younger. He also doesn't know why she would say that and my thoughts were the same as above and perhaps trying to make face in front of the family.

There is a government minister who came to visit who is younger than my friend and as minister a higher status position but yet he initiates the wai to my friend and it is due to age difference.

Members of parliament are not a good example as they wai everyone willy-nilly. I have seen them wai all and sundry, especially if they are trying to earn some points for an upcoming election, or need support for something else. They would wai buffaloes in a field if they thought they could gain from it.

• Like 1

Members of parliament are not a good example as they wai everyone willy-nilly. I have seen them wai all and sundry, especially if they are trying to earn some points for an upcoming election, or need support for something else. They would wai buffaloes in a field if they thought they could gain from it.

You haven't met the same ones I have. Some feel you should come groveling on your hands and knees to them. Met one who had a downright scary attitude (think aloof on steroids). biggrin.png

Abhisit waiied me at the Noel Gallagher gig. My wife had already waiied him though.

Nooooooooooo answers, wonder why, some talk about NOT my culture but cannot answer my simple question. bah.gif

You know why. You've embarrassed them. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

What's so hard about making the effort to be respectful...

I wai elders and wait for those younger to wai back... I always return the wai of a youngster.

Being a westerner in a Thai family both cultures have been adopted, now the wai is often followed with a handshake...

With the inlaws it's hugs too !....

I take my shoes off when entering my parents, family members and friends houses, in the uk, so it's natural for me to do so in Thailand.

The Wai.... Just roll with it, I can't see as such a big deal...

Regarding the Op: The sister in law is simply being a twit.... If younger its up to her to wai first. If she doesn't then culturally she has ideas above her station.

My brother in law (who is a couple of years younger than I) doesn't wai me, but he always offers a handshake....

Only a handful of my younger Thai friends wai me, those who do have perhaps had a slightly different upbringing than those who don't. Those Thai friends of a similar age never wai me, but then again that is not the norm either...

In summary, it's only a big deal for me that I wai the older members of my Wife's family and the seniors, parents etc of my friends when I meet them. It's simple decent manners and as far as I am concerned ego is not involved.

+1

Looks like I have become a member of the +1 Brigade.

EDIT ... got the hyper-link wrong.

Edited by David48

I take my shoes off in my house because my wife eats on the floor. It's not always about "cultural traditions".

Do you actually think the "cultural tradition" of taking your shoes off is unrelated with the fact that Thais traditionally ate (did most everything) on the floor?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

I think Thais take their shoes off because they did everything on the floor, but I don't give it the mantle of "culture" that some do. If that were the case, I'd have to take my shoes off going into any building, and I don't.

Real cultural things, like women not touching monks isn't optional depending on circumstances. I see women standing on buses despite there being an empty seat beside a monk.

No, culture - by definition (and contrary what so many Thais think) - is not static but dynamic; it adapts. Moreover not all values, in any culture, are viewed with equal import or held sacrosanct - some things can be adapted or rejected if impractical and not important but it evolves naturally based on what the societal norm is what the majority feel OK with.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

I dont visit temples so that would never occur in fact you wouldnt get me near one ever I despise them and what they stand for, I dont like taking my shoes off either but have done so, you just end up with dirty feet, the absolute worst for me is a shop where they want you to take your shoes off............<deleted> its a shop and if this is their policy I dont go in there.

Edited by rattler
  • Like 2

I don't wai anyone, not even my m/f inlaws but that is more out of laziness. Perhaps if we were at a wedding, Id be wai ing some people there I suppose. Same with a funeral.

Im well comfortable with Buddhist monks, temples and ritual.and would wai where appropriate. I mean hell I am married to a Buddhist. Ive been to all the greater and lesser temples from India to Korea to Indonesia. Ive been to.just shitloads of temples and ruins.

But if my bro's in law wai me or my wifes friends, I will return the wai. Just seems proper <deleted>.

My 2b

I don't wai anyone, not even my m/f inlaws but that is more out of laziness. Perhaps if we were at a wedding, Id be wai ing some people there I suppose. Same with a funeral.

Im well comfortable with Buddhist monks, temples and ritual.and would wai where appropriate. I mean hell I am married to a Buddhist. Ive been to all the greater and lesser temples from India to Korea to Indonesia.

But if my bro's in law wai me or my wifes friends, I will return the wai. Just seems proper <deleted>.

My 2b

Edited by bangkokburning

I've said it before, but I doubt that one in a thousand of us farangs will ever really master the idiosyncracies of the Thai wai. So, as Tommo says, don't wai at all. A polite smile and a gentle nod of the head in greeting is all that is required of us.

Agree with you, I do not try anymore to wai anyone...

but for me it's a gentle smile with polite nod of the head wink.png more seriously, sometimes I have seen farangs wai-ing the waiter/tress in a restaurant as a thank you for the water/ice/tissues or whatever they did asked for whistling.gif

Must admit I am no wiser but thanks for the replies. Not wai-ing anyone is a good start but would upset even more if I started to do that after 8 years. It's nice when somebody does offer their hand, usually a person with a bit of education, or a muslim, none of them in the family though.

Not sure I want to shake hands with someone who just wiped their arse with said hand, and probably didn't wash the hand after.

What do you wipe yours with then?

I personally feel this stuff should come down to individual benefit. IF you feel it will benefit you in some way to wai, financially or otherwise, then wai. For example, I got to the point where I never said bless you to anyone after a sneeze anymore because I thought it was stupid (still do).... but why can't I use it to my advantage? Enter..... saying bless you to maybe a hot girl you want to talk to for example. Use wais the same way.... if it can advance you in any way, do it... if not, dont worry about it.

I personally feel this stuff should come down to individual benefit. IF you feel it will benefit you in some way to wai, financially or otherwise, then wai. For example, I got to the point where I never said bless you to anyone after a sneeze anymore because I thought it was stupid (still do).... but why can't I use it to my advantage? Enter..... saying bless you to maybe a hot girl you want to talk to for example. Use wais the same way.... if it can advance you in any way, do it... if not, dont worry about it.

Did you fully think through that response ? Do you really base every interaction with another human on whether or not it will benefit you ? I wonder how many genuine friends you have.

Whats wrong with simply being respectful because its the right way to behave ?

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

Sh_t, the money thing again. Gawd some folks ''lives outlook'' really pisses me off sometimes.

• Like 1