Upgrades For Nouveau Elegance

KillingTime

I bought a nice red Elegance 135 with 4000 k on the clock 6 months ago and am generally happy with the bike. Just had the 7k service and new pads on the front and the bike is going well, but i hate the suspension. Funnily enough, this was supposed to be one of the model's strong points, and to be fair it's good two-up, but solo every pot hole is a pain. My local mechanic has some aftermarket shocks (for 2000 baht) he said will improve the bike, but i've noticed much of the discomfort comes from the forks on the front. Are there any upgrades for the forks, and has anyone tried the 2k baht shocks upgrade? Much difference?

Also, with the rainy season coming round, are there any tyre options that are an improvement on the ones that came stock?

So far the only thing i've done is change the seat. Any other suggestions for good improvements for a reasonable price would be welcome.

Cheers.

First off I bought Michelin Sporty Pilots to replace the stock hires on my Elegance and in doing so got them one size bigger...from a 70/80 on the front to 80/90a and on the rear from 80/90 to a 90/100. The shop is on Sukamvit here in Pattaya on the West side of the road North of North Pattaya Road within a 100 meters or so of the next light.

Recently I replaced the mirrors with mirrors similar to what is used on the Honda PCX. These I got for less than 1000 baht at the German bike rental shop on Pattaya Soi 16 which is just past the 7-11, Lotus Express and Family Mart on the left. These provide a wider view and do not need to be adjusted nearly as often.

And, not part of the bike at all but I got a Real helmet for around 1800 baht or so. According to other members of this forum, and the woman who waited on us at the second shop (my girlfriend liked mine so well I had to get her one also and Mityan was out of them), actually works when you have a bad crash. That is of course the primary reason I insisted on "Real" with no substitutions. However this helmet also does not slide around my head while driving at high speeds (unlike its Index predecessor). Its visor is also infinitely superior and also has an inner dark shield as well as the clear one. They are both there available for instant use. Normally I dispensed with the visor and simply relied on using sunglasses. But with this setup the inner or dark visor sits up inside the clear visor where it is protected from the dust, grime, etc and then when you wish to use it you just pull a little lever and it pulls down into place.

So you're happy with the stock suspension Jack? I think it's lousy. I think i can live with the mirrors for the time being.

Btw, i live in Bangkok and have never been to Pattaya so these places are of no relevance. Thanks for the tyres tip, because i think that i'm going to change over to Michelin sometime soon.

I have no idea if the after market shocks will improve the ride. I do think my Elegance has a rough ride across speed bumps I am thinking it might be because of the light weight of the bike, which isn't much over 230 pounds Your mechanic claims he can offer you better shocks, but can he really? Let me know how this turns out.

Right, often those guys at the shop fill them up to 50 PSI when 30 should be enough.

I'm a big Nouvo fan, have done several 500 km day trips (Songkhla to Phuket and back) and found the suspension quite formidable. I weigh 80kg.

If you change the shocks, try YSS, they're quality, lots of others are just chromed junk for the local teenagers.

Had a Wave 125 that came with YSS shocks but changed them back to stock - too stiff!

I rented a new Scoopy in Krabi a while back. Couldn't believe how smooth that thing was compared to the Elegance. When 2-up it bottomed out a couple of times though. way smoother ride solo.

The problem with changing the shocks is that a lot of the worst discomfort comes through the forks. I have a trapped nerve in my neck and arm pains as a result. You really need to to both, but then you start thinking "maybe i need to get another bike".

I have to say i'm otherwise very impressed with the 135. It smokes every other bike at the lights and the suspension is actually better 2-up, though i'm solo 95% of the time. Maybe i need to put on some weight?