Hard Disk Partition?

farlangrakthai

Hi, On my laptop my c: drive shows up as being 5.38Gb however when i go into computer management it shows i think that the disk is actually a partition and that i have 22.55Gb unallocated,now what i would like to know is how to allocate this 22.55Gb to my C: as iam running out of space, is it possible to do this and if so how????

Hi, On my laptop my c: drive shows up as being 5.38Gb however when i go into computer management it shows i think that the disk is actually a partition and that i have 22.55Gb unallocated,now what i would like to know is how to allocate this 22.55Gb to my C: as iam running out of space, is it possible to do this and if so how????

Yes, it's possible. Don't worry. Go to bed now. It's late. Tomorrow you'll have enough replies. It's not the time to play around with partitions.

Good sleep.

Petch01

It is unusual for a computer to be sold without all the disk space allocated.

If you go to My Computer do you see a C: and D: drives in addition to the CD or DVD?

The D: drive will be the rest of you disk.

Otherwise pop down to your local sw shop and pick up a copy of Partition Magic.

This super little product will allow you to set up whatever partitions you need. I have:

C: Windows o/s

D: Programmes

E: Data files

It makes it much easier to reformat the C: drive without loosing every bit of data and Programmes that I have.

It is unusual for a computer to be sold without all the disk space allocated.

If you go to My Computer do you see a C: and D: drives in addition to the CD or DVD?

The D: drive will be the rest of you disk.

Otherwise pop down to your local sw shop and pick up a copy of Partition Magic.

This super little product will allow you to set up whatever partitions you need. I have:

C: Windows o/s

D: Programmes

E: Data files

It makes it much easier to reformat the C: drive without loosing every bit of data and Programmes that I have.

No in my computer it just shows C: as 5 Gb hard disk, it sounds silly but i brought the laptop a year ago and was sold it with a 20gb hard disk i have ony noticed now that there is 22Gb unallocated, so do you think i should do what you have done ie use c: just for windows and setup another partition of 22Gb for programs and data files if i do this i dont need partition magic i can just use the windows partition tool cant i? Is it easy to setup a partition as i've never done this before?

Generally notebook hard disks have 2 partitions. One for your Operating System (including programs) and one for Data. Making one partion for the OS, one for programs and one for Data as Astral wrote is useless. i.e. the partion for programs. When your OS is damaged, your linking files with programs (on the second partion) will be too.

For this moment you could make two partitions on your unallocated part. The first (D) you make 5 GB and the second (E) 10 GB. You can do that with control panel> administrative tools > disk management in XP.

The 10 GB part you can name Data and is for all data you make or have.

Then you try to find a copy of Partition Magic or similar programs. With that program you can make your (current) C-drive bigger taking space from disk D (the new 5 GB partition).

At the end you'll have one HDD with 2 partitions. Drive C: for OS+programs and drive D: for Data.

Petch01

Edited by Petch01

Generally notebook hard disks have 2 partitions. One for your Operating System (including programs) and one for Data. Making one partion for the OS, one for programs and one for Data as Astral wrote is useless. i.e. the partion for programs. When your OS is damaged, your linking files with programs (on the second partion) will be too.

For this moment you could make two partitions on your unallocated part. The first (D) you make 5 GB and the second (E) 10 GB. You can do that with control panel> administrative tools > disk management in XP.

The 10 GB part you can name Data and is for all data you make or have.

Then you try to find a copy of Partition Magic or similar programs. With that program you can make your (current) C-drive bigger taking space from disk D (the new 5 GB partition).

At the end you'll have one HDD with 2 partitions. Drive C: for OS+programs and drive D: for Data.

Petch01

ok great i'll try that then, can anyone recommend a good partition program which i can download for free???

cheers