Thailand Mulls Health Insurance For Foreigners

webfact

Thailand mulls health insurance for foreigners
By Coconuts Bangkok

bangkok.hospital.jpg

BANGKOK: -- As part of its preparations prior to 2015’s formation of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC), Thailand is working on a plan to offer health insurance to foreigners traveling within its borders.

According to a statement from Public Health Minister Pradit Sinthawanarong, Thailand is preparing to offer health insurance to migrant workers living in Thailand, as well as to expatriates and their families.

Thailand is also working on a plan to address the healthcare needs of populations in adjacent countries, such as Cambodia and Laos, as well.

Thai ministers are expecting a marked increase in medical tourists from these countries and have proposed the creation of set prices for medical treatments, which will apply to all visitors from these neighboring nations.

Pradit also said that Thailand will work with NGOs such as the World Health Organization (WHO) to bolster its neighbors’ healthcare infrastructure, therefore obviating the need for cross-border medical traffic.

Full story: http://www.coconutsbangkok.com/news/thailand-mulls-health-insurance-for-foreigners/

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-03-04

• Like 1

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would be wiser to ask every foreigners coming to Thailand to have an insurance when they apply for Visa . Many countries ask this insurance if Thais want to travel abroad. Thailand should ask the same to those who apply for Visa in their embassies.

I agree... Part of the Visa application process should be proof of medical insurance. Visa exemption stamp on arrival should be granted with proof of return flight and proof of medical insurance. Entrance Via Land border could also require a proof of medical insurance.

Perhaps - Without Proof of Medical insurance a Health Service tax on arrival would be a good form to ensure treatment is covered for tourists.

• Like 2

would be wiser to ask every foreigners coming to Thailand to have an insurance when they apply for Visa . Many countries ask this insurance if Thais want to travel abroad. Thailand should ask the same to those who apply for Visa in their embassies.

This report is about medical services for migrant workers from neighboring countries (although it does mention expats) - is it possible for Cambodians to get travel / health insurance in Cambodia is they are going to be working and living in Thailand for say 2+ years?

I agree... Part of the Visa application process should be proof of medical insurance. Visa exemption stamp on arrival should be granted with proof of return flight and proof of medical insurance. Entrance Via Land border could also require a proof of medical insurance.

Perhaps - Without Proof of Medical insurance a Health Service tax on arrival would be a good form to ensure treatment is covered for tourists.

I agree with Alfiecon - my medical insurance is based on my VISA card. I always check before I depart to get clearance to travel (pre-existing condition). The record is online rather than in paper form and I don't want to be printing off reams of paper to satisfy this and other requirements that may seem sensible, until you really THINK about them.

• Like 1

Why ? people without Health Insurance aren't a burden on anyone apart from themselves and what about all the people who self insure !

The people without health / medical insurance are a burden on their friends....

Regarding the people who self insure - Thats more difficult. As with any policy, its for the protection of the masses, there is not a singular 'please all, fix'...

But, I suspect that the amount of foreigners in Thailand who have the 'spare cash' sitting in the bank as self insurance is not much.

Getting cover for the older foreigners is the tricky part.

It works for the Schengen Visa to Europe - All Foreigners applying for a Schengen visa need proof of insurance on application, a similar policy in Thailand would mirror that.

• Like 1

Talk about not saying a lot in a little space, and bringing up a lot of possible comments and questions. I'll sum it up with: "Could you say more, please?"

One comment: I would think offering medical insurance to foreigners would be an obvious way to make money and make Thailand more tourist-friendly at the same time. As for those coming here as "medical tourists", I'd think they would be at the bottom of the list as far as needing medical insurance.

Re: "therefore obviating the need for cross-border medical traffic"---- sure, give that about twenty years or so to bring the healthcare systems of poor neighbors up to par.

I agree with Alfiecon - my medical insurance is based on my VISA card. I always check before I depart to get clearance to travel (pre-existing condition). The record is online rather than in paper form and I don't want to be printing off reams of paper to satisfy this and other requirements that may seem sensible, until you really THINK about them.

You would deny what many may see as an improvement and a logical benefit to a system because YOU don't want to print out proof of your insurance ?

I have Bupa - and I too would have to print out the proof of cover, but I really don't see that as a show stopper for a policy which may improve things.

Still - the differing opinions in this topic all make valid points of discussion.

Why ? people without Health Insurance aren't a burden on anyone apart from themselves and what about all the people who self insure !

I guess Thailand want to avoid travelers to have huge bills in hospital here , specially travelers who cannot afford expensive treatments in Thai hospital. Not to mention a reciprocity which is normal , you want to go to Europe ? have a travel insurance .... you want to go to Thailand ? have the same proper insurance. nothing wrong in this.

Why would that be?

I prefer to insure myself and not

1. pay for others who get insured when they need treatment

2. To pay for other insureds to take all the meds offered instead of being selective

3. Same as 2 but tregarding treatment, I shall be selective and save

4. Pay for insurance running costs

5 pay for insurance profits

Naturally I don't want the uncertainty so many insured people have about "am I covered" and I also don't wasn't to infernal form filling with all the cost that gives the doctor or hospital too.

Cheeryble

Perfectly valid points.. An alternative would be proof of access to sufficient liquid funds i.e. US$100,000 sitting in a bank...

Why such a high value ? A friend was struck down with an illness recently, her medical costs after a few months was about 4.5 million baht.

But, the above is an extreme case - So perhaps a smaller value is more feasible.. i.e. US$30,000...

• Like 1

This is a step in the right direction I'd say, more convenient that's if administered properly, clap2.gif I'd be careful of cross boarder health though, HK found out the hard way, the mailand swamped the HK hospitals for treatment especially the old dears dropping babies in better class hospitals, also a different place of birth means better education for the kid.bah.gif it's not happening now ,they put the lid on that scam.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

If migrant labor is employed legally, they should be covered because they should be in the system.

So, employers should with the employee pay to be part of the system. therefore, if the employer is paying illegally, it is the employers fault. Of course, this creates the problem of all the thais who are working but not being paid formally and declaring tax.

as for long term retired foreigners, if they pay in 500 baht a month, why can't they avail of the system? Its a hell of a lot more than most thais contribute.

• Like 2

The people without health / medical insurance are a burden on their friends....

Regarding the people who self insure - Thats more difficult. As with any policy, its for the protection of the masses, there is not a singular 'please all, fix'...

But, I suspect that the amount of foreigners in Thailand who have the 'spare cash' sitting in the bank as self insurance is not much.

Getting cover for the older foreigners is the tricky part.

It works for the Schengen Visa to Europe - All Foreigners applying for a Schengen visa need proof of insurance on application, a similar policy in Thailand would mirror that.

Schengen is basically tourist entry, add a mandatory health insurance for entry and you add a host of medical exemptions as insurers minimise their risk. I went to bupa and was told you are too fat for our ex pat insurance

A great idea but of course as said in other posts way way too long in the coming. Ex-pats like me have been around for decades without any kind of health provision, other than that you wish to subscribe to yourself ! This will be fine as long as it is not just another 30 baht scheme such as was introduced for Thai nationals a few years back ! Or am I just getting cynical in my old age! lol.

It takes something like ASEAN to do this. What about the past? Foreigners have been living here for years. Very typical.

It's all about selling headlines and building up the perceived idea they really care about us... whistling.gif

Why would the perception that "'they' really care about 'us'" be of any importance? Are some people so needy that they have to be cared about by governmental ministries? It seems a very sensible business idea since it relieves hospitals from the potential burden of treating people unable to pay for the treatment.

If they are unisured & unable to pay, they are a potential burden on hospitals obliged to treat people in the event of medical emergencies. Those hospitals will then pass that additional cost on to other patients in the form of higher charges to compensate for losses generated by uninsured foreigners.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

When U.S. folks turn 65 they are eligible for the govt national health plan called Medicare. Medicare Part A requires no monthly premiums for most folks and covers basic in-hospital care, but you really need Part B also to cover many other medical costs to include some hospital costs and outpatient costs. You can easily end up in the poor house or not affording medical care without the Part B coverage. For 2013 the Part B monthly premium is $104.90 for most folks. Unfortunately, for U.S. expats, Medicare only covers you in the U.S.; not if you are living outside the U.S. And if you don't sign up for Medicare Part B when you turn 65, your monthly premium will be 10% higher per each year you delayed signing-up for your remaining life. Yea, a delay in your decision to sign-up for or not sign-up for Part B could get costly.

Whether to sign-up for Medicare Part B or not when turning 65 and being a U.S. expat and maybe not being 100% sure if Thailand will be your home for the remainder or you life and getting hit with much higher Medicare premiums if returning to the U.S. can probably make the Medicare sign-up decision when turning 65 a little tough for some U.S. expats.

Now, if Thailand could come up with a good medical plan for expats with monthly premiums equal to or less than Medicare Part B premium costs, then I expect some (maybe many) U.S expats would sign up for it.

US Medicare generally only works in the US. You can certainly sign up for it here in Thailand, but it is unlikely to be of use without returning to the states.

Edited by RedQualia

I

I think most posters are missing the point.

Thailand is preparing to offer health insurance to migrant workers living in Thailand, as well as to expatriates and their families.

They want to SELL insurance to foreigners. It is not about worrying about whether or not non-nationals are a burden on the medical welfare system, they are not... there is no free care for non-nationals here.

I see this as a money grab. Looking at quotes I have seen for health insurance I was quoted here, they were low coverage and hugely expensive compared to insurers located overseas. So I expect that someone has a financial interest in selling low value insurance to non-nationals. I would not be surprised if the payouts are hard to get too. Just someone trying to grab more money from foreigners and give minimum in return.sad.png

"there is no free care for non-nationals here."

Really?

Hospitals count cost of foreigners’ bills

The state-run Vachira Phuket Hospital admitted a record 377 foreign patients, mostly Britons, in the 12 months to Sept 30, 2010. There were also cases of foreigners who died outside of hospital but were brought in for autopsies. They died of causes ranging from road accidents to drowning and suicide. The hospital last year spent 1.3 million baht treating 17 penniless foreigners. It was the third consecutive year that the hospital had logged unpaid bills. The hospital bore costs of more than 1.2 million baht in 2009 for 22 foreign patients, a 50% rise from the 800,000 baht in costs to treat 17 patients in 2008, the centre said.

“These patients are mostly European men,” the source said. “They didn’t take out health insurance. They renew their visas every year and have no savings.” Some of them produced fake financial statements to have their visas renewed. Each foreign national seeking the renewal of his or her retirement visa must have at least 800,000 baht in their bank account or show they have earnings of at least 65,000 baht a month.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2011/01/20/hospitals-count-cost-of-foreigners-bills/

Edited by Suradit69