Terror On The Highway

thaibeachlovers

I think I just took that route on the bus from Udon Thani to Chiang Mai.

Before Lampang is big mountain pass and some Thai trucker was hauling 3 interconnected trailers full of sticks and the last trailer flips over and completely blocks the pass.

This happened at like 2 or 3 am and the police finally show up at 7 am and direct traffic past. Perhaps they had cleaned up some other accidents related to this crash or maybe they thought it was safer when it became light.

When we pass the truck and trailer is still sprawled across the road and can just squeeze by.

Welcome to Thailand

Once, I was on a bus from Phuket to Surat, and we were stopped because a fuel tanker trailer had flipped, blocking the road. The cops were discussing what to do about it, and in the end, their solution was to open the valve and let the fuel flow over the road to the drain, so that they could then move the trailer. Unfortunately, they didn't think to use a pipe to keep the fuel off the road, and it melted the surface, so there was a trench across an entire lane!

@TBL.

One of my laws applies here i think Dancealot law #15 = Never, but never, ever drive through the Thai countryside @night.

I'd normally agree with that, but I wanted to do as much as possible of the highway while there was as little traffic as possible on it. I had intended to leave at 2am, so as to arive before dawn, but the beloved procrastinated till 3.20am, and we caught the country side rush hour of farm tractors and bikes with 3 school kids. From living in the village, I think the biggest hazard while in the dark are the dogs sleeping in the middle of the road, and we did indeed pass by one flat dog.

I swear a lot when I go to Lampang, there seems to be a point somewhere after Saraburi where some motorists take leave of their senses. Going up on 30 January I saw three accidents that looked bad and many close shaves. Minibus drivers should be suspended by their fessicles at major road crossings.

I swear a lot when I go to Lampang, there seems to be a point somewhere after Saraburi where some motorists take leave of their senses. Going up on 30 January I saw three accidents that looked bad and many close shaves. Minibus drivers should be suspended by their fessicles at major road crossings.

What gets me are the drivers ( in any country ) that take really stupid risks to overtake, when all they will save in time will be a few minutes, not to mention the increased fuel usage and general wear and tear on the car.

Just remembered that what annoyed me most on the stretch of 2 way road were truck drivers ( seemed to be all of them ) that keep their headlights on dip, so I couldn't see the road ahead, and therefore didn't know if it was safe to overtake. Do they think they are saving on bulb life or just too lazy to use the dip switch?

Four things bother me while out on the road.

1. People who overtake blindly.

2. People with perfectly new and functional vehicles that drive 30 or less lower than the regular traffic flow, causing people to overtake blindly.

3. Motorcycles that drive like #2 but won't move to the shoulder

4. People that enter into traffic without looking

Four types of vehicles concern me and are given room to pass immediately

1. Pickup with high racks that are used to courier goods (especially when empty). They drive like maniacs

2. Tour vans. ditto

3. Buses in convoy. Terrifying!

4. Anyone who catches up to me when I am doing 120

Two things I like

1. Drivers here can flow seamlessly through a potentially dangerous situation without overreacting.

2. PTT service stations

• Like 1

We are so lucky that Farangs never break the speed limits, and never ever drink and drive, thank god for small mercies.

ThaiVisa myth.

Fact is, in my experience, most Farangs drive like maniacs in Thailand, and most certainly do not worry about drinking and driving.

Wind your head in. The thread is about local driving habits inducing 'terror'. Sure, there are bad farang drivers, but not acknowledging that 99.99999% are Thai makes you look a nonsensical tool.

Oh yeah, I forgot about The ThaiVisa mantra......

Thai bad, Farang good, Thai bad, Farang good, Thai bad, Farang good. I guess if you say it enough times you might end up believing it.

The fact of the matter is that most farangs come from countries where the road rules are strictly enforced. This

conditions you into becoming a safer driver. You know it's wrong (and dangerous) to go through a red light, a stop sign or drive on the wrong side of the road. A lot of Thais have no respect for (or are even aware) of the road rules and the

serious consequences of ignoring them. If you believe any different then you have your head where the sun don't shine.

We are so lucky that Farangs never break the speed limits, and never ever drink and drive, thank god for small mercies.ThaiVisa myth.Fact is, in my experience, most Farangs drive like maniacs in Thailand, and most certainly do not worry about drinking and driving.

Wind your head in. The thread is about local driving habits inducing 'terror'. Sure, there are bad farang drivers, but not acknowledging that 99.99999% are Thai makes you look a nonsensical tool.
Oh yeah, I forgot about The ThaiVisa mantra......Thai bad, Farang good, Thai bad, Farang good, Thai bad, Farang good. I guess if you say it enough times you might end up believing it.
The fact of the matter is that most farangs come from countries where the road rules are strictly enforced. Thisconditions you into becoming a safer driver. You know it's wrong (and dangerous) to go through a red light, a stop sign or drive on the wrong side of the road. A lot of Thais have no respect for (or are even aware) of the road rules and theserious consequences of ignoring them. If you believe any different then you have your head where the sun don't shine.
So, how come in USA that there are over 40,000 road fatalities a year, a country where the majority are not on motorcycles( unlike they are in Thailand ), if they are so well trained, so well educated, and the roads are so well policed by uncorrupt police ?

The vast majority of fatalities are on 2 wheels !

Imagine if the same percentage in the USA or UK were on 2 wheels like they are in Thailand, the death toll would be astronomical.

And I will reiterate what I have said many times before, nearly every Farang I know who drinks, drinks and drives, on ThaiVisa you would think Farangs are Saints, the reality is totally different.

Edited by Banzai99

This is an interesting topic for no other reason than making me check facts and figures. Checking with Wikapedia's data on traffic fatalities per 100 000 vehicles it is an eye opener. African countries have FAR greater rates than just about anywhere else. Canada has a rate of 13 fatalities / 100,000, The USA has 15 / 100,000, The Uk has only 7 / 100,000, NZ = 11 / 100,000, Australia has 8, Thailand has 118 / 100,000, But when you get to some of the African countries it jumps up to the thousands / 100,000 vehicles. Togo has 14,000 / 100,000 if there even ARE 100,000 vehicles in Togo. Other scary countries are Rwanda at 8,000 and Liberia at almost 11,000 / 100,000 vehicles.

The USA had over 32,000 traffic related fatalities last year. But, they have a population of 350 million people of which a large portion drive. Thailand's population is about 65 million people and a much smaller population have cars or trucks.

But, as I've said many times... statistics are for losers. It only takes one silly idiot to kill you if you are not prepared to take evasive action and be 100% aware at all times.

• Like 2

Just another pathetic Thai apologist.I hope you never have to suffer the consequences of the undeniably reckless, stupid, and selfish way of Thai drivers.

It's hard to believe he even lives in Thailand when he's so ignorant of the appalling driving here.

So, can you explain why there are so many fatalities in USA, where they're all so well educated and aware, and the vast majority are not on 2 wheels ?

No, you can't, but as long as old Farangs have a hole on their azz, they have to put down the locals to make up for all that they lack. Like the, Thai men are no good that's why Thai women like geriatric Farangs myth, believe me, they wouldn't give you a second look if you were not throwing money at them, you are dellusional if you think any different.

And I can assure you I live here, and if you came to live here after 1990, it's been longer than you, so I was likely here before you, and I'll likely be here after you too

I still say the old have no place on the roads, they are too old to adapt, stay at home gramps, or get a driver, but make sure the driver is young, or a Thai.

Lol, I'm ignorant of driving here, haha, list your road trips over the last 22 years, then. I'll list mine :)

This is an interesting topic for no other reason than making me check facts and figures. Checking with Wikapedia's data on traffic fatalities per 100 000 vehicles it is an eye opener. African countries have FAR greater rates than just about anywhere else. Canada has a rate of 13 fatalities / 100,000, The USA has 15 / 100,000, The Uk has only 7 / 100,000, NZ = 11 / 100,000, Australia has 8, Thailand has 118 / 100,000, But when you get to some of the African countries it jumps up to the thousands / 100,000 vehicles. Togo has 14,000 / 100,000 if there even ARE 100,000 vehicles in Togo. Other scary countries are Rwanda at 8,000 and Liberia at almost 11,000 / 100,000 vehicles.

The USA had over 32,000 traffic related fatalities last year. But, they have a population of 350 million people of which a large portion drive. Thailand's population is about 65 million people and a much smaller population have cars or trucks.

But, as I've said many times... statistics are for losers. It only takes one silly idiot to kill you if you are not prepared to take evasive action and be 100% aware at all times.

I'm sure Banzai99 will find a way of justifying Thailands horrific statistics. There are obviously more motorbikes on the road in Thailand compared to the US and the UK, but perhaps the death toll wouldn't be so high if (1) they wore helmets, (2) drove on the correct side of the road (3) weren't either unlicenced or underage (4) didn't ride three and four to a motorbike. I'm sure there's plenty of other infringements, but those are the most blatant.
  • Like 2

plus a lot of fatal accidents in Thailand escape the govt statistics because the deceased never make to to the hospital system or file a police report.

If someone buys it on a motorbike in a rural area then not a lot of incentive to file a report or get involved with the system because that can cost money. They just take them to the cremation place like in the old days.

I have seen estimates of another 5 to 10,000 deaths in Thailand per year.

I am sure its more than a few but hard to gauge really if its really that much higher.

Again I'll say, statistics are for losers. I have only been in Thailand for 5 months. In that time I have seen FAR, FAR MORE evidence of reckless driving in Thailand than anything I've seen anywhere in North America. However, you can not bring European or North American ideas to Asia and expect them to work. If you try to do so then it could very well cost you your life. I have been driving for over 20 years in North America and can not recall ONE incident that somebody was passing on a corner and coming at me in my lane. I've lost count of the number of times that it has happened to me in the 5,000 + km I've traveled in Thailand. At virtually EVERY red light in Thailand I've seen vehicles and bikes go buzzing through long after the light has changed. However, when you EXPECT it to happen then you make allowances for it.

I actually think many drivers in Thailand are highly skilled. In the cities Thai's operate in traffic with far greater proximity than we Westerners are generally comfortable with. IMO in general a Thai can judge the distance to the edge of his car far better than we in the West can.

That said, the lack of concept of consequence exists to such a degree in many drivers in Thailand its frightful.

Its frightful to see so many pointless chances taken on the roads... It's not that some drivers rely on luck, its simply that they are so ignorant of the risk they have not considered the consequence of something going wrong.

But... Realistically its not that bad - In any one journey we may pass thousands of cars, but we only remember the one idiot doing something silly... (or two, ten.. twenty !)...

• Like 1

I actually think many drivers in Thailand are highly skilled. In the cities Thai's operate in traffic with far greater proximity than we Westerners are generally comfortable with. IMO in general a Thai can judge the distance to the edge of his car far better than we in the West can.

That said, the lack of concept of consequence exists to such a degree in many drivers in Thailand its frightful.

Its frightful to see so many pointless chances taken on the roads... It's not that some drivers rely on luck, its simply that they are so ignorant of the risk they have not considered the consequence of something going wrong.

But... Realistically its not that bad - In any one journey we may pass thousands of cars, but we only remember the one idiot doing something silly... (or two, ten.. twenty !)...

I would join that assessment. Thai drivers can pass in a needlehole (or cannot, and then we get a nice scratch!).

Neverthless, for me, highway is far more dangerous on some sections at night rather than during the day. For some reason, the 300 kms from BKK to Hua Hin seem far more peaceful at night than at day.

Similarly, I drove at night from BKK to Lom Sak, or from BKK to Khao Sok, and did not encounter special issues (although we witnessed some accidents along the way). I concur on the danger by those high-stocked pickups... Once, on the way to Pranburi, I got light calls by one from behind... With a motor sounding as if it was a truck, green lights on its load in front, etc.

The most dangerous parts were from Lom Sak to Phitsanulok and from Tak to Mae Sot. Those two mountain roads have a number of crazy drivers overtaking in blind curves, racing as if their lives hung on it, and the obvious ten-wheeler breathing down your neck at 80 kph in a descent and a tight curve. But on the whole, after having been to Pakistan... I vowed never to talk bad of thai driving again! Some of the stories told in this thread sound familiar (India driving)... So, while defensive driving is a must here, I would not say it is half as stressful as some countries could be.

• Like 1

Just another pathetic Thai apologist.I hope you never have to suffer the consequences of the undeniably reckless, stupid, and selfish way of Thai drivers.

It's hard to believe he even lives in Thailand when he's so ignorant of the appalling driving here.

So, can you explain why there are so many fatalities in USA, where they're all so well educated and aware, and the vast majority are not on 2 wheels ?

No, you can't, but as long as old Farangs have a hole on their azz, they have to put down the locals to make up for all that they lack. Like the, Thai men are no good that's why Thai women like geriatric Farangs myth, believe me, they wouldn't give you a second look if you were not throwing money at them, you are dellusional if you think any different.

And I can assure you I live here, and if you came to live here after 1990, it's been longer than you, so I was likely here before you, and I'll likely be here after you too

I still say the old have no place on the roads, they are too old to adapt, stay at home gramps, or get a driver, but make sure the driver is young, or a Thai.

Lol, I'm ignorant of driving here, haha, list your road trips over the last 22 years, then. I'll list mine smile.png

Banzai99... Instead of 'Defend the Thai's at all costs' adapting a realistic view point might give your debate more credibility. This is not a Thai bashing thread so you can relax a bit. It is a topic openly discussing the woes of driving in Thailand, as such it will naturally bring out a handful of negative observations... No one is saying All Thai's are dumb... but perhaps a more accurate comment would be that a significant number of the drivers on the roads of Thailand are innocently ignorant of the risks they take.

The 'I've lived here longer'... 'and I've driven more than you'.. comments are just silly.. no need to try and compare appendages in a flawed attempt to win. It doesn't matter how long you've been here, your opinion is no more valid than anyone else's.

I do wonder though - Why do you refuse to drive here ?

Perhaps one of your comments about the old driving should be re-written.. after all, what is old? someone fit and healthy at 70 years old is not too old to drive IMO.. So, I would instead suggest that those who are not mentally and physically fit should not be driving, of course age comes into it at some point, but, IMO age is less of a factor leading to dangers on the roads than drink driving...

IMO: The lack of adequate policing and rule enforcement, as well as lack of accountability leads to a lot of the apathy and indifference regarding common sense and safety.

Lets face it, some are just too lazy to think...

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

Welcome to the real Thailand.

Yes indeed. It was always bus before, and I'm thinking in the future too.

I already told her I'm not driving to Chiang Mai again ( as reported in a previous thread ).

I went at 3 am to try and avoid the worst of the traffic, but the maniacs are still out there.

And you expected all the drunks to be home and in bed at 3 a.m.?

Lol, I'm ignorant of driving here, haha, list your road trips over the last 22 years, then. I'll list mine smile.png

Banzai99... Instead of 'Defend the Thai's at all costs' adapting a realistic view point might give your debate more credibility. This is not a Thai bashing thread so you can relax a bit. It is a topic openly discussing the woes of driving in Thailand, as such it will naturally bring out a handful of negative observations... No one is saying All Thai's are dumb... but perhaps a more accurate comment would be that a significant number of the drivers on the roads of Thailand are innocently ignorant of the risks they take.

The 'I've lived here longer'... 'and I've driven more than you'.. comments are just silly.. no need to try and compare appendages in a flawed attempt to win. It doesn't matter how long you've been here, your opinion is no more valid than anyone else's.

I do wonder though - Why do you refuse to drive here ?

Perhaps one of your comments about the old driving should be re-written.. after all, what is old? someone fit and healthy at 70 years old is not too old to drive IMO.. So, I would instead suggest that those who are not mentally and physically fit should not be driving, of course age comes into it at some point, but, IMO age is less of a factor leading to dangers on the roads than drink driving...

IMO: The lack of adequate policing and rule enforcement, as well as lack of accountability leads to a lot of the apathy and indifference regarding common sense and safety.

Lets face it, some are just too lazy to think...

Banzai99 is an oldies basher as well as a Thai apologist. Why he singles out the oldies as the only ones who criticise the appalling driving in Thailand says a lot about who and what he is, and he also manages to have a dig at "geriatric farangs" who can only get a Thai woman by throwing money at her. What that has to do with Thai driving, beats me. Then he goes on to say that he's been here long before "you" (whoever "you" is) and will be here long after "you". He also seems to ignore the statistics, like that the US has 15 road deaths per 100,000, whereas Thailand has 118 deaths per 100,000. He certainly doesn't let the facts stand in the way of a good argument. Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

Why the anger, you make some good points but then you lose all crediability by attacking anyand all old farangs for what some self satisfaction and really who cares how long you have lived here. If you didn't come here before 1970 I have been coming and living in Thailand before you

• Like 2

@TBL.

One of my laws applies here i think Dancealot law #15 = Never, but never, ever drive through the Thai countryside @night.

I agree totally wwith this never ever drive at night

And in that same manner(but differentlywink.png ) these guys seem to agree as well.

You foreigner, if you not here, accident not happen. Go home!

Exactly !

You two must be related.smile.png .

Edited by Dancealot

Took a bus from Bangkok to Udon and passed three bus crashes, there must have been fatalities in at least two of them. Next time took the train but travelling at 4 kmph it took all day just to get to Korat, Always bite the bullet and fly now it's only one hour in the air and I have had far more expensive nights out.

they are not horrible drivers but actually excellent drivers with really poor etiquette.

No, they are, without doubt, both!!!

thai's have absolutely no idea how to drive a car,ride a bike,drive a bus,drive a truck or any vehicle because they are not taught,they have no regard for life on the road,no idea how to consider other people either.It is "dog eat dog" out there on thailands roads.

Why the anger, you make some good points but then you lose all crediability by attacking anyand all old farangs for what some self satisfaction and really who cares how long you have lived here. If you didn't come here before 1970 I have been coming and living in Thailand before you

Banzai99...

It is 1976 for me, nary an accident and 75 years young.

Previously raced competitively in SCCA type racing and I expect I could give you a pretty good run for your money on any type of driving you would care to indulge in now, so your blanket condemnation of older retirees is a little tiresome and somewhat immature.

Gray hair doesn't make anybody a bad driver.

By the way, how old are you?

PS: I have tried to take out posts that are irrelevant to my comments and have only partially succeeded. My apologies. Guess I'm too old for these new fangled computer things.

Welcome to the real Thailand.

Yes indeed. It was always bus before, and I'm thinking in the future too.

I already told her I'm not driving to Chiang Mai again ( as reported in a previous thread ).

I went at 3 am to try and avoid the worst of the traffic, but the maniacs are still out there.

And you expected all the drunks to be home and in bed at 3 a.m.?

The drunks never figured in my decision. It was purely about driving when there are less vehicles on the road, and was a good time to drive in the reality.

There were more maniacs out when I was coming back in the evening, than when I was going in the early hours.

We are so lucky that Farangs never break the speed limits, and never ever drink and drive, thank god for small mercies.

ThaiVisa myth.

Fact is, in my experience, most Farangs drive like maniacs in Thailand, and most certainly do not worry about drinking and driving.

Oh yeah, I forgot about The ThaiVisa mantra......

Thai bad, Farang good, Thai bad, Farang good, Thai bad, Farang good. I guess if you say it enough times you might end up believing it.

The fact of the matter is that most farangs come from countries where the road rules are strictly enforced. This

conditions you into becoming a safer driver. You know it's wrong (and dangerous) to go through a red light, a stop sign or drive on the wrong side of the road. A lot of Thais have no respect for (or are even aware) of the road rules and the

serious consequences of ignoring them. If you believe any different then you have your head where the sun don't shine.

I had 3 close shaves in 10 mins yesterday as follows (all were by night):

1. Traffic lights went green just before I entered a yellow box. A bike missed the front of my car by less than a foot as the rider decided to beat me in order to cross the jct in which I had right of way. 2 or 3 bikes behind him who were considering same shouted at ME as I passed!

2. An asian couple on a chicken-chaser indicated right, went left (with the intention of eventually turning right) & appeared dumfounded when illuminated from behind.

3. A black honda jass facing the wrong way in the opposite lane attempted to join my lane just after paragraph 2 without the normal precautions (no indicator or look left).

All of the above was captured on film, as indeed was my driving had it been necessary.

HTH

Edited by evadgib