Hitler Fashion Statements Confuse, Offend Tourists In Thailand

webfact

Again

Is there a requirement for a Hitler/Nazi/Swastika thread every few weeks?

Is this 'news' - from 'daily buzz on twitter'

That video a year old, does it add anything to this forum?

How about:

Bangkok's 'Hitler Chic' Trend Riles Tourists, Israeli Envoy

and just a few weeks ago

Whats Up With The Locals Admiration For Hitler?!

My suggestion: close it, same posters with same posts . . .

In short, YES

Yes every time it happens.

Just ignoring wont make it go away.

You are welcome not to click on the topic as often as you like.

My experience is that ignoring an infection, wont make it go away.

just my 2 cents.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-9891-0-79653500-1362798867_thumb.jppost-9891-0-87857800-1362798872_thumb.jppost-9891-0-21493200-1362798882_thumb.jp

There will always be people who are offended by someone else's image. I'm sure Bin Laden, Saddam, Mugabe, Pol Pot, even GWB to some, all had the same emotional effect.

Remember the past but let the Thais have their little Hitler/swastika fashion statements without getting all riled up. (again) .Ignorance is bliss.

I'm sure our Great Leader Thaksin doesn't lose sleep at night because of the above pictures.

Eine kleine sturm im teetasse.

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 1

Is it too early in this thread to put up the "swastika is an ancient Buddhist / Hindu symbol" defense? :rolleyes:

If you're gonna do that at least get it right. The Swastika dates back millenia... long before Buddhism or Hinduism....

Again

Is this 'news' - from 'daily buzz on twitter'

That video a year old, does it add anything to this forum?

How about:

Bangkok's 'Hitler Chic' Trend Riles Tourists, Israeli Envoy

and just a few weeks ago

Whats Up With The Locals Admiration For Hitler?!

My suggestion: close it, same posters with same posts . . .

Why are you so uptight with Hitler?

Is he a family member?

If not see a Doctor

This is not a flame just concern on my part.

See a doctor

What do you expect from a country full of over 60 million people who don't know that a world exists beyond their borders and who generally despise non-Thais? Nothing new here for those of us who live here. Let the 2 week tourists be surprised. coffee1.gif

Think you should amend your post to "live here with ethnocentric blinders on." Obvious you don't watch Thai TV or listen to KPop on Thai radio. I suppose all those foreign movies are watched by expats only. And I suppose all the TV and Movie actors are not half European white decent. They don't despise non Thais. Where do you think the past two leaders of Thailand were educated? Does Thailand try to copy Fords? Nope. They ask Ford to make cars in Thailand. Thais know Western or Chinese technology is superior and have you ever seen a group of Thai women around a new half Caucasian baby? Wake up!!!

• Like 2

Who is, Lindsay Jolivet?

How many tourists did she interview?

What countries did these tourists come from?

What was the age group of these tourists?

How many were in her sample?

Another bored hack recycling the same old anti Thailand tirade, best she sticks to the west where she wont be so easily offended.

Probably knocked this article up while sitting in Starbucks in New York, has she actually visited Thailand?

Heres a tip for you Khun Lindsay, we dont all share your upbrining or point of view, travel broadens the mind, if you dont like what you see when you go abroad, stay home, simple, that way you wont be offended.

• Like 1

What do you expect from a country full of over 60 million people who don't know that a world exists beyond their borders and who generally despise non-Thais? Nothing new here for those of us who live here. Let the 2 week tourists be surprised. coffee1.gif

Maybe so, but on the other side of the world (south of where you appear to come from), there is a country with 5 times our population, who have no idea about anything outside their borders... and that's a supposedly "advanced" country, so in fact I see little difference in that attitude...

I was going to add that in Thailand most of the locals don't speak English, but then I realised that was not different... haha!

Everyone in my extended family has traveled extensively, and enjoyed learning about other cultures. Two were in the Peace Corp. All are college educated, all have a strong knowledge of history. All read both fiction and non-fiction regularly.

The same, generally, goes for the circle of friends and acquaintances I enjoy.

This, however, may be changing with newer generations, I admit.

Really! REally!?! Seriously, who gives a sh*t. And don't even think about bringing me the "Thais don't know jack about Western histiry they are just naive and don't know what Hitler did to the Jews" argument. People seem to go out-of-their-way these days to get offende by some crap. The British commmited atrocities under Victoria in SA - should I be (or am I) offended by someone wearing her T-Shirt? No! I could go on, but already feel that Hitler has wasted too much time of my day (and life) already.

Lizzie van Zyl: The British incarcerated her following the refusal of her father, a Boer combatant, to surrender. 6 years old.

Comparing hitler to victoria??

Shame on you, you stupid, stupid personI would guess the poster is from South Africa. The SA people I know are still bent out of shape about the Boer war, with some justification. The Poms are credited with creating the first concentration camps, with Kitchener the guy in charge.

Your stupidity knows no bounds, what an absurd, misguided little person.....Er........come again?

Sorry if i attacked the wrong poster

Really! REally!?! Seriously, who gives a sh*t. And don't even think about bringing me the "Thais don't know jack about Western histiry they are just naive and don't know what Hitler did to the Jews" argument. People seem to go out-of-their-way these days to get offende by some crap. The British commmited atrocities under Victoria in SA - should I be (or am I) offended by someone wearing her T-Shirt? No! I could go on, but already feel that Hitler has wasted too much time of my day (and life) already.

Lizzie van Zyl: The British incarcerated her following the refusal of her father, a Boer combatant, to surrender. 6 years old.

Shame on you, you stupid, stupid personI would guess the poster is from South Africa. The SA people I know are still bent out of shape about the Boer war, with some justification. The Poms are credited with creating the first concentration camps, with Kitchener the guy in charge.

Your stupidity knows no bounds, what an absurd, misguided little person.....Er........come again?

Sorry if i attacked the wrong poster

All is good KT

Is it too early in this thread to put up the "swastika is an ancient Buddhist / Hindu symbol" defense? rolleyes.gif

Think so. We first need to get the "hub-of-moustache" hype in here, before moving onto Hindu symbols.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

whistling.gif When you were that age didn't you like shirts with Johnny Rotten's picture on it and some message kike "God save the BL--dy Queen"s" on it.

Same reason, it annoyed your mother and father.

When you are young It's fun to flip off the establishment .... but in the end the establishment gets you.

biggrin.png

When you were that age didn't you like shirts with Johnny Rotten's picture on it and some message kike "God save the BL--dy Queen"s" on it.

Same reason, it annoyed your mother and father.

When you are young It's fun to flip off the establishment .... but in the end the establishment gets you.

I assure you that thais are not trying to piss off their parents

• Like 1

Oh, the hitler thread again. Whoopee. All we need now is a thread full of raging farang complaining about being called farang and our day will be complete.

Yesterday a couple of Thai kids laughed as I went past them and when I asked them why they laughed they replied because you are farang that looks like Hitler. House is on the market, car on the market and I'm leaving and going back to UK.

Well, you gave it your best shot, I would guess stayed here for some time, and in the long run it is not working for you. That is fair. If living in Thailand is no longer improving the quality of each day, why be here? For me, I still love the place. I figure I have to put up with alot of nonsense here. But, by my reckoning, still far less than in the US, which is simply not a pleasant place to live at this point in time. Good fortune to you.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

" who generally despise non-Thais ".....are you being despised...why visit a country that despises you...welcomeani.gif

• Like 2

Oh, the hitler thread again. Whoopee. All we need now is a thread full of raging farang complaining about being called farang and our day will be complete.

Yesterday a couple of Thai kids laughed as I went past them and when I asked them why they laughed they replied because you are farang that looks like Hitler. House is on the market, car on the market and I'm leaving and going back to UK.

Well, you gave it your best shot, I would guess stayed here for some time, and in the long run it is not working for you. That is fair. If living in Thailand is no longer improving the quality of each day, why be here? For me, I still love the place. I figure I have to put up with alot of nonsense here. But, by my reckoning, still far less than in the US, which is simply not a pleasant place to live at this point in time. Good fortune to you.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

It's called sarca ah forget it

• Like 1

attachicon.gifthak1.jpegattachicon.gifthak2.jpgattachicon.gifthak3.jpg

There will always be people who are offended by someone else's image. I'm sure Bin Laden, Saddam, Mugabe, Pol Pot, even GWB to some, all had the same emotional effect.

Remember the past but let the Thais have their little Hitler/swastika fashion statements without getting all riled up. (again) .Ignorance is bliss.

I'm sure our Great Leader Thaksin doesn't lose sleep at night because of the above pictures.

Eine kleine sturm im teetasse.

I recall that I have seen GWD and Obama photoshoped to Hitler. I am not sure, but I think I recall that I have seen even Merkel hitlerized....

You should work on your German:

Ein kleiner Sturm in der Teetasse

Again

Not really! All we got here is a "yahoo buzz" based on an 11 month old youtube video. blink.png

Today Webfact let us down a little bit, I'm sorry to say.

Edited by Morakot

That would freak me out, if Thais were telling me I looked like Hitler. When I first started coming here some Thais were telling me I looked like Mr. Bean. I don't look like Mr. Bean or Hitler but there's no telling how Thais see white people.

attachicon.gifhitlerbean.jpg

maybe because of the uniform...the usual farang wears short trouser, flip flops and half a kg gold

I take it your plans for world domination are shelved then. sad.png
The Fuhrer hid for decades in a submarine and on the first landfall he got recognized by Thai kids sad.png
  • Like 2

Shame on you, you stupid, stupid person

A South African lecturing on ethnic morals?

Brits and Australians lecture Americans all the time on Thai Visa.

But only to advise on cultural matters and where to get beer that isn't watered down. smile.png

That would freak me out, if Thais were telling me I looked like Hitler. When I first started coming here some Thais were telling me I looked like Mr. Bean. I don't look like Mr. Bean or Hitler but there's no telling how Thais see white people.

attachicon.gifhitlerbean.jpg

maybe because of the uniform...the usual farang wears short trouser, flip flops and half a kg gold

Based on that assumption, I'm tempted to think you spend your waking hours observing the denizens of Beach rd in Pattaya.

Is it too early in this thread to put up the "swastika is an ancient Buddhist / Hindu symbol" defense? rolleyes.gif

Not really. Although I wasn't specific I did bring this up in post #13. I'm sure it will be mentioned again though. If there's a connection to Hitler though then the Buddhist / Hindu conection isn't there.

I take it your plans for world domination are shelved then. sad.png
The Fuhrer hid for decades in a submarine and on the first landfall he got recognized by Thai kids sad.png

World domination still on the cards. I'm a fully paid up member of the Tooting Popular Front, have been since the 60's thumbsup.gif

It is offensive but did they teach about Hitler in the high school history books here? You can hardly blame them when they don't know what they're wearing is offensive to most Europeans.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

It's called sarca ah forget it

The perennial problem on here. Is the poster being sarcastic or just stupid. I love sarcasm but I get caught out too sometimes. Maybe you should by a bunker.