People's Behaviour On Public Forums

shaggy1969

The banter and opposing views are what make forums like this so interesting. Sure, sometimes they become a bit heated, but I think that the TV moderators are just about spot on when it comes to what is tolerated, and what is not.

One thing that really irritates me though are the "Oh no, not another..........thread" posts. If you see a new thread that you think has already been flogged to death, better for everyone that you just stay well clear of it.

What's wrong with the fact that many like to flog a dead horse several times? Can you find a law or forum rule that it violates? Perhaps if they keep flogging it numerous times at numerous intervals over long periods of time......perhaps it's not really dead yet?

post-108400-0-45197300-1362890112_thumb.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The banter and opposing views are what make forums like this so interesting. Sure, sometimes they become a bit heated, but I think that the TV moderators are just about spot on when it comes to what is tolerated, and what is not.

One thing that really irritates me though are the "Oh no, not another..........thread" posts. If you see a new thread that you think has already been flogged to death, better for everyone that you just stay well clear of it.

What's wrong with the fact that many like to flog a dead horse several times? Can you find a law or forum rule that it violates? Perhaps if they keep flogging it numerous times at numerous intervals over long periods of time......perhaps it's not really dead yet?

Good to see a more appropriate illustration, instead of the usual "let sleeping dogs lie" gif that people use

That horse is gonna end up in somebody's lasagna.

T

• Like 1

That horse is gonna end up in somebody's lasagna.

T

Or repackaged and sold as beef.

And some using that "flogging a dead horse" emoticon use it when they are not prepared to accept or listen to what others have to say, and it's usually the same posters.

Edited by ozziebloke

I do actually have my picture as my avatar and I would say what I say on here to a person's face also.

I have nothing to hide or fear.

However I don't think I come across as rude or make snide remarks to be fair. If I ever do, please feel free to tell me. whistling.gif

You can pickout at least half a dozen generalisations in this thread alone that will irk some of the more relaxed less critical, non social climbers, weekend warriors, long term expats........it is not wholly the anonimity that causes 'rude' responses, but more the inabilty of posters to accept that everyone is different, and encounter differing experiences in Thailand according to their individual demeanor, mannerisms, habits, and outlook, compounded by the antagonising stereotyping posters deliver on a regular basis. I don't live in Thailand permanently, so my experiences differ from the stale expat version of Thailand, I'm pleased this is the case and my tolerence for the inconsequential irritants in Thailand remains as high as it does for some of the posters on this board.

And 473 your a good example of your own comment - "... it is not wholly the anonimity that causes 'rude' responses, but more the inabilty of posters to accept that everyone is different, and encounter differing experiences ..."

You can pickout at least half a dozen generalisations in this thread alone that will irk some of the more relaxed less critical, non social climbers, weekend warriors, long term expats........it is not wholly the anonimity that causes 'rude' responses, but more the inabilty of posters to accept that everyone is different, and encounter differing experiences in Thailand according to their individual demeanor, mannerisms, habits, and outlook, compounded by the antagonising stereotyping posters deliver on a regular basis. I don't live in Thailand permanently, so my experiences differ from the stale expat version of Thailand, I'm pleased this is the case and my tolerence for the inconsequential irritants in Thailand remains as high as it does for some of the posters on this board.

And 473 your a good example of your own comment - "... it is not wholly the anonimity that causes 'rude' responses, but more the inabilty of posters to accept that everyone is different, and encounter differing experiences ..."

The key ingredient to being offended is being easy to offend.

If someone has a healthy self esteem and understanding that many posters crave attention or are trying to make someone laugh then it's a lot harder to even impossible to be offended.

How is it that African Americans can call each other the N word and its often a term of endearment? It's about the psychological health of the listener.

It's difficult or often impossible to know a persons intent when reading a post.

I think a lot people want to crack a joke or be noticed. Some might truly want to offend but still a healthy self esteem sheds an potentially offensive statement like water off a duck.

• Like 1

You are of course welcome to your opinion......smile.png

If someone has a healthy self esteem and understanding that many posters crave attention or are trying to make someone laugh then it's a lot harder to even impossible to be offended.

How is it that African Americans can call each other the N word and its often a term of endearment? It's about the psychological health of the listener.

It's difficult or often impossible to know a persons intent when reading a post.

I think a lot people want to crack a joke or be noticed. Some might truly want to offend but still a healthy self esteem sheds an potentially offensive statement like water off a duck.

There are posters who undoubtedly frequently try to play to the gallery, perhaps the get addicted to the likes from their like minded posters smile.png this usually leads to the repitition ad nauseum of a well worn (out) criticism that continues to ingratiate them to their fellow 'club' members..........rather amusing to watch but a little tedious

There are posters who undoubtedly frequently try to play to the gallery, perhaps the get addicted to the likes from their like minded posters smile.png this usually leads to the repitition ad nauseum of a well worn (out) criticism that continues to ingratiate them to their fellow 'club' members..........rather amusing to watch but a little tedious

However, if your bored by comments there is always the ignore button. I personally dont put people on ignore but I admit I dont read the comments of some members for the reason you have stated. But on the whole I find member very informative and I respect those that make the extra effort to research their post and I also find some members very funny, all in all TVF is worth logging into.

• Like 2

And some using that "flogging a dead horse" emoticon use it when they are not prepared to accept or listen to what others have to say, and it's usually the same posters.

I thought that was the laughing dog icon...? So what you're saying is that the laughing dog icon only represents "I've run out of arguments and will try to look like I've been been caught not having a clue"...? Ok, I agree.

However, if your bored by comments there is always the ignore button. I personally dont put people on ignore but I admit I dont read the comments of some members for the reason you have stated. But on the whole I find member very informative and I respect those that make the extra effort to research their post and I also find some members very funny, all in all TVF is worth logging into.

I don't use ignore either, there is no reason, sub forums for serious, general and news for throw away comment. If I see a reoccuring thread I read if I think there will be anything interesting, even an often touched on topic can throw up the odd gem, and you never know where you might come across a couple of members having an amusing little spat smile.png one thing I find difficult to comprehend, the urge to label a poster a troll, rather than just let the thread go, and the similar action of posting on a thread "oh no not again".......that really smacks of people needing to find something better to do

• Like 1