Married To A Thai - What Visas Are Available To Me?

Howdy folks. This is my first post on this side of the visa forum, I'm usually whining in the other one! :o

I'm just wondering what long-term Thai visas would be available to someone married to a Thai national? Current situation: married almost a year, in the midst of Oz spouse visa (who knows when it will end!), currently in Oz, wife in BKK, age 34, occupation Programmer (also have my own bizness in Oz).

We did explore this avenue awhile back in BKK, but found I needed a certain sum in my bank, which I think was in the vicinity of 450,000 baht, which I didn't have at that time.

So the questions are:

- what types of visas are available to me?

- what are the lengths of visas and extensions possible?

- what is possible on the visas? eg. employment, multiple entry, etc.

- what is required to obtain the visas, how difficult are they to obtain and how long does it take?

Any info always appreciated!

cheers

ch

Non Immigrant "O"

Each entry is for 90 days only (multi-entry), the extension is possible showing 400K in your Thai Bank Account, for which you have to be the only holder.

According with Thai law all Non Immigrants Visas, including "O" category, grant the possibility to apply for a Work Permit and consequently start to work in Thailand

- what is required to obtain the visas, how difficult are they to obtain and how long does it take?

Copy of the Marriage certificate, copy of your wife ID card or passport, copy of the house registration (Tabian Baan)

If you are planning her move to Oz you should be looking for a multi entry non immigrant O visa to visit your wife which provides stays of 90 days with unlimited entry during the 1 year validity of the visa. This is normally obtained with a marriage certificate although some Consulates will request a copy of the wife id card to help prove relationship is still valid. This type of visa may be issued immediately or most often in 24 hours.

If you change your mind and plan to live in Thailand you can extend any entry of such a visa during the last 30 days of permitted stay with the 400k (from overseas) in a Thai bank account in either your name or a joint account with wife.

As said employment is possible on an O visa if issued for other than retirement.

Non Immigrant "O"

Each entry is for 90 days only (multi-entry), the extension is possible showing 400K in your Thai Bank Account, for which you have to be the only holder.

According with Thai law all Non Immigrants Visas, including "O" category, grant the possibility to apply for a Work Permit and consequently start to work in Thailand

Copy of the Marriage certificate, copy of your wife ID card or passport, copy of the house registration (Tabian Baan)

You can probably apply for a 1 year Non Imm "O" visa but it has to be done outside of Thailand and a lot depends on the consulate at which you apply. Normally 3 months is OK but this depends on whether you will be staying in Thailand for a long term period. The reason for that is after 2 months you go to Immigration, I normally go to Bangkok even though I live 400 km up country as I have read some horror stories about other Immigration places as well as some good ones.

You also need around 400,000 baht in the bank and if you are married, Bangkok is OK on a joint bank account.

The only way for you to work in Thailand would be to get a Thai or multi national company to give you a job and from your post it appears that you are not looking to work here.

You will also need a certified translation of your marriage certificate and go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and get it certified there.

You will also need a copy of your wifes ID card and a shed load of other things before you go and apply for your support visa.

When you have all this information you go to Immigration and if everything is correct on that day you will be given another date about 6 weeks later to collect your visa.

The same day that you get your visa go back to the information desk and get the form for a multi- re-entry visa. YOU MUST DO THIS!!!!! If you do not get a re-entry visa you will have to start the whole progress all over again. I speak with the voice of experience as I was stupid enough to forget about the re-entry permit.

If you do a search on the website under visas and Thai wife you will find a lot more useful and valuable information.

I used to have a check list that I made up but I cannot find it at the moment.

It takes some time to do as you have to do something then wait, then do something else but it is worth it in the end.

When you are at the Immigration office, dress reasonably, talk quietly and politely and smile a lot and you will find the staff will respond the same way.

I just remembered when you go for the first interview, don't forget to take your wife as that is on the check list as well.

Best wishes to you and your wife.

I found my check list and I have pasted it below.

Thai wife docs req

Immigration Bureau

Soi Suan Plu

South Sathorn Road

Bangkok 10120

Thailand

Tel: (02) 287-3101-10

Office hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30-16.30

Saturday, 8.30-12.00

Requirements when applying for one-year marriage (extension) visa: (first year)

-Non-immigrant visa code O from Thai embassy abroad

-Copy of passport + original

-One photo of yourself (4x6 cm)

-Marriage certificate (in Thai) original + copy

-ID card of your Thai wife + copy

-Registration book of your Thai wife’s house (if any) + copy

- If no registration then a copy of the lease on the apartment + copy

-At least 400.000 Baht in Thai bank OR proof of income not less

then 40.000 Baht per month OR combination of funds and income

-Certified letter from your transferred bank abroad + copy

-Certified letter from your bank in Thailand (not more then seven days old) + copy

-Copy of bank passbook (all pages)

-Copy of all documents is required with your signature

- You may need photos of where you live

-Application fee: 1.900 Baht

-And a big smile!

Bring your Thai wife and all original documents with you and of cause your passport, passbook.

Extension of one-year marriage visa: (second and third year)

-Bring your Thai wife and her ID card

-At least 400.000 Baht in Thai bank OR proof of income not less

then 40.000 Baht per month OR combination of funds and income

-Certified letter from your transferred bank abroad

-Certified letter from your bank in Thailand (not more then seven days old)

-Copy of passport

-Copy of your wife’s ID card

-Copy of bank passbook (all pages)

-One photo of yourself

-Application fee

The whole process takes about six weeks and you’re done to pick up the awaited visa.

The officers at Immigration are also very polite, friendly, helpful and quickly.

After three years stay on one-year marriage (extension) visa, you are qualified to apply for residence visa and residence book in Thailand.

Do not forget to apply for re-entry visa at the same time, single or multiple entries.

This may come in handy when you need to travel outside Thailand.

Special Thanks to:

Immigration Bureau

Whiplash

Dr. Pat Pong

Easymoney

Opalhort

Madsere

"Marriage' Visa"

There is actually no such thing as a “marriage visa” in Thailand. Foreign nationals who are married to Thai citizens are entitled to apply for an “O” Class Dependent's Visa. Applicants must be able to prove that they have either B400.000 deposited in a Thai bank account, or have a guaranteed monthly income of B40.000, or a combination of the two, so that your total income is equal to or greater than B400.000 per annum.

(Source: Sutlet Group Co., Ltd.)

Good luck!

The same day that you get your visa go back to the information desk and get the form for a multi- re-entry visa. YOU MUST DO THIS!!!!

Not true. You only require a re-entry permit when and if you travel outside of Thailand. If you do not travel outside of Thailand you will never need one. They also come in single or multi type so if you plan a yearly trip and nothing else it would be cheaper to just get the single entry at 1,000 baht rather than the multi at 3,800 baht.

You will also need a certified translation of your marriage certificate

What for? All you need for a visa is the marriage certificate (copy) if he has a Thai registered marriage AFAIK. I never needed anything in my home country.

Certified letter from your transferred bank abroad + copy

Never heard of any such requirement and never submitted any such document in my dealings at Bangkok.

In any case this appears to be a visitor rather than a long term resident from his post about obtaining Oz spouse visa so we have probably provided major overload for his memory banks.

Lopburi3

Sorry that I made some errors but this was from the stuff I did 2 years ago.

When I read the original post I assumed that the OP wanted a 1 year Support visa for Thailand so if he is coming into the country frequently and was on a support visa he would need a re-entry permit.

On the other hand if he does not intend to stay here full time it may be easier to get a 3 month Non Imm O in his own country and not bother with a support visa.

If you can take your wife to the consulate, all the better, and what also can help is a letter from your wife to the consulate asking for you to come to Thailand to support her and the family.

I know it isn't necessary, but it does suport your application, particularly if you are applying for a 1-year multi.

If you go to Sydney, it will take about a week.

Lopburi3

Sorry that I made some errors but this was from the stuff I did 2 years ago.

When I read the original post I assumed that the OP wanted a 1 year Support visa for Thailand so if he is coming into the country frequently and was on a support visa he would need a re-entry permit.

On the other hand if he does not intend to stay here full time it may be easier to get a 3 month Non Imm O in his own country and not bother with a support visa.

I am in agreement with 99% and I am probably wrong well over 1% (wife would say 99%) so believe your post was fine and you have no need to apologize. Was just trying to point out several items that might not be true all the time and offer alternatives.

But think we over did it on this poster (although he did ask for more than the non immigrant O visa) so you are probably right in providing the full Monty.

I saw in some posts that you need a certified letter fron you trnferres bank abroad.

I gotten the extensionj for 3 times and no one never ask me this kind of letter.

Maybe each one have an his version.about the thai laws.

Because I'd may keep the 400k in the bank without touch them for over the year and use my found in my country by credit card for the daily expenses.

According this example I no need to withdraw the money in my thai bank and so I no have to demostrate that these money comes from abroad.

Obviously I have to keep all the Atm slip.