Visa/atm Withdrawals : Fees And Limits

I am restricted by my US bank from withdrawing in excess of USD$1000 per day by ATM or USD$2500 in VISA Card charges.

Can I go into a Bank and withdraw USD$2500 via a VISA Cash Advance or purchase? I might pay the 3% or whatever, if necessary.

I have a large purchase need in the next few days and the USD$1000 will kill the deal.

thanks

Contact the bank which issued the card...they will have the correct answer since each card issuing bank sets the rules for use of their card. Failing to do that, you can try your approach...all that can happen is the transaction gets immediately rejected...but I will admit that could be embarrassing/stop dead in the water an important buy. Best to contact the card issuing bank.

It does not matter wheter you withdraw from within the bank or from the ATM, both transactions will come to your bank with the same code and will thus hit the 1'000 limit.

Pib gave you the right recommendation: if you can't get the money out over the next days through daily 1'000 cash advance, best call your issuing bank and let them amend the limits for the time being.

Warning: Even with daily 1'000 cash advance, you might hit a problem: the fraud prevention system of your issuing bank might block your card unitl the time, your bank can reach you and verify that those daily multiple cash transactions are genuine!

If you call your bank ahead of time, they can raise the daily amount. I've done that on many occasions when building our house, but the transaction must be done inside the bank. Never had a problem, but it's according to your bank. That was the ATM card, or a credit card. Yes I have taken 5K via an atm card inside the bank.

Edited by lockman

Yes normal limit is 20k (or 25k at Bangkok Bank) but that is software limit and understand many of the no fee AEON ATM's have a much higher setting of 50 or 60k. But you can continue to use the normal ATM until reading daily limit.

I am restricted by my US bank from withdrawing in excess of USD$1000 per day by ATM or USD$2500 in VISA Card charges.

Can I go into a Bank and withdraw USD$2500 via a VISA Cash Advance or purchase? I might pay the 3% or whatever, if necessary.

I have a large purchase need in the next few days and the USD$1000 will kill the deal.

thanks

Usually your US Bank sets a cash limit ($1,000) and a merchandise purchase limit ($2,500) and they are usually treated separately, meaning that you can get $1,000 in cash in one day and $2,500 in merchandise on the same day

Yes normal limit is 20k (or 25k at Bangkok Bank) but that is software limit and understand many of the no fee AEON ATM's have a much higher setting of 50 or 60k. But you can continue to use the normal ATM until reading daily limit.

You mean to say that an AEON ATM Matchine can dispense 50/60 in one go? If that's real, it really is an interesting information. So far the max I found out is Krungsri's ATMS which dispense 30 K at one go

I tried to get 20k out of the Big C extra AEON ATM last week in Pattaya but wasnt allowed only let me get 10k which is my banks(Barclays) limit but its good they dont charge the b150 fee

To the OP, I would think that US$2500 is the maximum amount you can withdraw over the counter per day, given this is the limit set by your bank. Usually counter transactions are treated differently from ATM transactions. If you could withdraw $2500 or equivalent from an ATM, especially in one transaction there would be no need to ever use a bank counter, but I suspect in your case you could withdraw more than $1000 but only over the counter. Try - and see what happens; if the transaction is rejected it is likely because your bank does indeed impose a $1000 limit on all transaction counter and ATMs. Bring your local Thai driver's license (if you have one) or your passport for identification purposes when making an over the counter transaction. Although your limit of $2500 is very low (I could easily get an AUD$8000 cash advance or a combined limit of $8000 in ATM withdrawals per day on one of my Australian VISA debit cards, probably a lot higher on my credit cards) this is the limit you'll have to live with unless you can call your bank and ask them for a higher limit (at least temporarily, tell them you're overseas and justify the reason for the higher limit if asked).

When I lived in the USA, my Wells Fargo VISA debit card allowed only $310 to be withdrawn from ATMs per day nevermind the fact that US ATMs only dispense $20 notes so the extra $10 being a fallacy since it is impossible to withdraw $310. I am surprised your bank gives you $1000 - but the $2500 limit on purchases is indeed very low. I am wondering how one could purchase a car in cash with such low limits? Unless of course you go to the bank and withdraw what you need or use a check (cheque).

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Contact the bank which issued the card...they will have the correct answer since each card issuing bank sets the rules for use of their card. Failing to do that, you can try your approach...all that can happen is the transaction gets immediately rejected...but I will admit that could be embarrassing/stop dead in the water an important buy. Best to contact the card issuing bank.

Yes, if I intend to make a relatively large charge on my US based credit cards in Thailand, I send a message to the credit card issuer via my on-line account access site. On different occasions they've just said OK, or asked for futher information or a phone call, or they've given me a 4-digit pin to use for a limited time.

You mean to say that an AEON ATM Matchine can dispense 50/60 in one go? If that's real, it really is an interesting information. So far the max I found out is Krungsri's ATMS which dispense 30 K at one go

Yes, that's correct. By past member reports, at least 60 bills per transaction, maybe more, from AEON ATMs. And no 150 baht withdrawal fee on foreign cards.

You have to choose the "other" menu option in the menu setting, and then use the keypad to enter in the amount you desire. They don't have any preset withdrawal amounts on the ATM video screen higher than 8-10,000 or so.

But more broadly, as others have suggested, U.S. banks will often accept a phone call from their cardholder requesting a one-use increase in their card limits for a specific purpose. The only way for the OP to find out if his bank will accommodate that is to call them and ask.

I tried to get 20k out of the Big C extra AEON ATM last week in Pattaya but wasnt allowed only let me get 10k which is my banks(Barclays) limit but its good they dont charge the b150 fee

Those are two different things:

Each ATM anywhere in the world has a physical/operational limit on the number of bills it will dispense per transaction.

Then, separate from that, each bank account associated with a bank card typically has some daily maximum amounts that can be done as cash withdrawals and/or POS purchases.

AEON ATMs reportedly will dispense at least 60 1,000 baht bills per transaction, which is roughly $2000 U.S. But most bank accounts have daily (24 hour) limits on total ATM cash withdrawals that are lower than that, meaning a request to withdraw 60,000 baht likely would be rejected, not because the ATM couldn't provide it, but because the cardholder's daily limit is some lower amount.

US/UK bank accounts have extremely low limits on ATM withdrawals. Far higher limits are normal in Asia.

i.e. I remember Citibank Japan sending a letter to all it's customers notifying them that they were reducing the daily ATM withdrawal limit from 1,500,000 yen to only 600,000 yen. (i.e. from approx. $15K USD to $6K USD at the time). Japan is possibly a special case as they often had ATM-only branches with no actual staff, other than a security guard, and as a general rule (at the time - this was 2005), a lot of shops in Japan didn't take credit cards.

Notably Aeon, with it's 60 note ATM machines is a Japanese company.

Similarly, my current HK card's limit is 50,000 HKD (approx. $6½K), and even Thai bank's have a daily ATM limit of 50,000 baht ( $1,700 ). (The Thai limit includes ATM transfers in the same day)

The stingy UK £300 limit is finally moving up to a marginally more bearable £500 ($750), but I know that you can get around the ATM withdrawal limit by going into the branch. (It also avoids the 150 baht ATM fee).

i.e. The amount you can withdraw as a cash advance inside a branch is usually defined by your credit card's total cash advance limit. (often half of the total card limit), and not defined by the ATM withdrawal limit. (at least for UK cards - not sure about US ones). I have had very little luck trying to take out cash, other than at ATMs with a debit card though. This definitely seems to be an area where credit cards work a lot better.

Edited by bkk_mike

I read one time in the us, someone want buy a car cannot pay cash only with credit Card!

My visa has a withdrawal limit of 1000€

When I send more money from my bank acount to my visa card number and bank code via bank transfer!

The limit goes up of that amount 1000€ plus that I send by myself!

In other words! I can controll the withdrawal limit by myself!

US/UK bank accounts have extremely low limits on ATM withdrawals. Far higher limits are normal in Asia.

i.e. I remember Citibank Japan sending a letter to all it's customers notifying them that they were reducing the daily ATM withdrawal limit from 1,500,000 yen to only 600,000 yen. (i.e. from approx. $15K USD to $6K USD at the time). Japan is possibly a special case as they often had ATM-only branches with no actual staff, other than a security guard, and as a general rule (at the time - this was 2005), a lot of shops in Japan didn't take credit cards.

Notably Aeon, with it's 60 note ATM machines is a Japanese company.

Similarly, my current HK card's limit is 50,000 HKD (approx. $6½K), and even Thai bank's have a daily ATM limit of 50,000 baht ( $1,700 ). (The Thai limit includes ATM transfers in the same day)

The stingy UK £300 limit is finally moving up to a marginally more bearable £500 ($750), but I know that you can get around the ATM withdrawal limit by going into the branch. (It also avoids the 150 baht ATM fee).

i.e. The amount you can withdraw as a cash advance inside a branch is usually defined by your credit card's total cash advance limit. (often half of the total card limit), and not defined by the ATM withdrawal limit. (at least for UK cards - not sure about US ones). I have had very little luck trying to take out cash, other than at ATMs with a debit card though. This definitely seems to be an area where credit cards work a lot better.

How do we make an over the counter withdrawal from a foreign bank issued ATM card? I guess just going to the bank, handing them over the ATM card and ask for withdrawal will always result in the bank tellers being speechless ?

No, over the counter withdrawals using a foreign VISA or MC debit card can be done... You'll always need to bring along your card and passport.

Sometimes, the Thai teller will tell you to go use the ATM instead, where of course the bank makes a 150 baht withdrawal fee. But other times, the teller will do the over the counter withdrawal as they should.

Just be sure your home country bank isn't charging its own fee on your card for over the counter withdrawals, as some have started doing. Because you aren't the only trying to avoid ATM fees either at home or abroad.

The two US banks I use have entirely different ATM/Cash/Sales limits as

ATM Cash Sale

600 1000 3000

500 1500 5000

That's an interesting one, Lop... I've have and have had a bunch of U.S. checking accounts with VISA or MC debit cards thru the years. And I'm always careful to know the pertinent limits for each account.

All of mine thus far just have had two daily limits -- one for cash withdrawals (usually $300 to $500) and the other for POS (usually $1000 to $1500).

But I've never run into one yet, at least among my accounts, where there's a third and different limit for cash advances, at least among debit cards.

• 3 months later...

The stingy UK £300 limit is finally moving up to a marginally more bearable £500 ($750), but I know that you can get around the ATM withdrawal limit by going into the branch. It also avoids the 150 baht ATM fee.

The amount you can withdraw as a cash advance inside a branch is usually defined by your credit card's total cash advance limit. (often half of the total card limit), and not defined by the ATM withdrawal limit. (at least for UK cards - not sure about US ones). I have had very little luck trying to take out cash, other than at ATMs with a debit card though. This definitely seems to be an area where credit cards work a lot better.

I just enquired the situation at Barclays in the UK. They have not raised their paltry £300 ATM limit at home or abroad. For in-branch withdrawals abroad, they said amounts would depend on the local bank's floor limit. Their credit card may offer higher ATM limits, as determined by individuals' credit ratings. Platinum accounts allow ATM withdrawals of £750, subject to £50,000 being maintained in the account.

Barclays' ATM fees abroad are one of the highest and come to 3.4% for a £300 withdrawal, so after the Thais have charged their local fee (฿150 equating to 1.04%), a total of 4.44% or £13.32 has been paid for the privilege of drawing local cash. I think the average tourist would have great difficulty finding Thai staff prepared to issue fee-free cash withdrawals in-branch for amounts which their ATM would dispense.

Changing cash at Superrich, or even Siam City bank, significantly lessens the losses. In between are banks with 'Zero foreign exchange loading' (Halifax, Nationwide) and pre-loaded travel-money cards (Fair FX, Caxton). Travel-money cards tend to give poorer exchange rates than banks, so are not the panacea they might at first appear.

Even in Colombia, banks and money changers will give slightly more for cash, even GBP, than using a mainstream bank's ATM card, after fees are deducted. This applies in the capital (and its airport) only; outside any advantage is lost.

Edited by Trevor25222

• 1 month later...

Kasikorn and Krungsi definitely lowered their one time withdrawal to 10.000Baht per withdrawal. It's a shame. Fee are getting higher in the last 3 years and one time withdrawal limits lower. Someone who is experienced in finance transactions has to tell why this should not be called rip off?

SoFarAndNEAR -Posted Yesterday, 09:49

Kasikorn and Krungsi definitely lowered their one time withdrawal to 10.000Baht per withdrawal. It's a shame. Fee are getting higher in the last 3 years and one time withdrawal limits lower. Someone who is experienced in finance transactions has to tell why this should not be called rip off?

There must be another reason for this one-time-withdrawel-limit of 10.000 THB?

The last time I withdraw cash from a Kasikorn ATM - some months ago - I had no problem to get 20k.

To lift the fog concerning ATM withdrawels and limits you have to differentiate

1. daily or monthly limits set by your (card issuiung) bank in your home country

2. daily limits for all withdrawels at the same ATM set by the Thai (ATM) bank

3. limit for one ATM transaction

Independend of the limit set by your card issuing bank you have to consider the ATM limit per transaction set by the ATM-bank.

This is in general 20k with the exception of Bangkok Bank with a limit of 25k and AEON with a limit up to 100k (as confirmed many times by some TV-memebers, i.e. @KhunBENQ).

re-2

Independent of the limits of one ATM transaction (--> re-3) and the daily or monthly limits (--> re-1) you are not able to withdraw unlimited amounts per day. AFAIK Siam Commercial Bank has a daily ATM limit of 200k, the Krungthai Bank has one of 150k. The other Thai banks have similar day limits, I guess.

re-1

Forget all the limits, described in re-3 and re-2, if the terms of contract of your card issuing bank in your home country (US, GB, AUS, EU etc.) have lower limits. For example, if your daily withdrawel is limited to 400 USD, 400 GBP, 400 AUD, or 400 €(=EUR) etc., you cannot withdraw more than

cg68t036b3b8w03s7.gif

Edited by puck2

OP

What is the reason for this "restriction"

a) credit limit ?

or

cool.png general limit ?

I don't know if you have the same VISA-terms like I have with my German Bank for the Visa-account. If I have a credit limit of 1.000 € and zero € on this account my limit for the ATM withdrawels would be 1.000 €. But if I have a debit of 6.000 € on this VISA- account my ATM withdrawel limit is 7.000 € = 6.000 + 1.000. Of course, than I have to respect the maximal amount of the daily ATM limit ( --> re-2).

Another question/idea to the OP:

Why don't you make a SWIFT-money transfer from your US bank to your bank account in Thailand as it is so urgent smile.png

• Like 1

For U.S. bank issued debit cards, $1000 is a common daily ATM limit they use regardless of the amount of money you have in the account...but the POS limit is usually much higher or many times higher that $1000. It's just one of their commonly used fraud/security measures used by many/most U.S. banks. But it's also not uncommon to see daily debit card cash withdrawal limit of $500...some may even be $300. Additionally, sometimes even through the daily withdrawal amount is $1000 via ATM, some banks or brokerage accounts that issue debit cards may allow much more than $1000 in daily cash withdrawal if doing a teller/over-the-counter withdrawal which some might refer to a cash advance (not to be confused with what cash advance means with credit cards).

It all depends on the bank that issued the card, whether it's a standard or premier account, whether it's a bank or brokerage account, etc; it's got nothing to do with Visa or MasterCard rules. I use two no foreign transaction fee debit cards issued by major U.S. banks and both of them have the daily $1000 cash withdrawal withdrawal limit, but they will allow much more (one up to $15K...not sure about the other) for daily POS transactions. And I've got a couple other debit cards from other U.S. banks/credit unions which I just keep in the safe since they do charge a foreign transaction fee, but their daily cash withdrawal limit is $1000 also. Generally, just a U.S. bank thing.