Dutchman Beaten By Thai Teens For No Apparent Reason

webfact

If anybody thinks there is no violence amongst Thai teens and innocent victims then you really are living in in dreamland. Thailand in my experience is no more or less violent than anywhere else I've lived. In my current location, bodies have been found, there have been shootouts, stabbings in temples, random beatings in broad daylight. At the temple for songkran a couple of years ago, the police were stoned by youths. Mostly these are kids with absolutely nothing, no education, no real family care or role models, no future, no respect for the law or themselves or their families. There is much talk on here about face. This is buffalo manure.

It is about the kudos they get from their peers and the reputation of being a tough guy. Well, they are not tough and often find themselves on the receiving end at one time or another. There is always someone bigger, better and meaner just around the corner, and they will come looking for the little punks who think they are the top dogs.

Tough guys don't dance!

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was driving my bike completely sober to Jomtien on a Major Highway at 9 pm when a heavy downpour started..Could no longer see the road so stopped under a bridge..At least 6 teenagers had also stopped under this bridge when a Thai girl walked over and said this Bridge is for Thai people Only and you need to leave...I saw no reason to leave until the rain let up but then was Threatened I would get the crap beat out of me If I did not go....

Provoked for absolutely No reason so I did the smart thing and pushed my bike in the rain to a small overhang until the major part of the storm had passed but I got out from under what they thought was there Bridge which was only for Thai people..

No reason to be a shrinking violet... A lot of times making them laugh will get you thru it..

Just ask them if they know who Tiger Woods is? (Woods mother was Thai)

Keep insisting your Tiger Woods. The less you look like Tiger Woods then the funnier it becomes.

There a lot of ways to disarm someone psychologically. The ultimate weapon of martial arts is your brain.

-You give them your best Wai and show of respect

-You could start asking them questions. What is your name? where are you from?

-Ask them if they are okay. Do you require my help?

-Compliment them on their dress or appearance

-Make them laugh

-Fake a seizure

The options are limited only by your creativity and understanding of human nature

He did the right thing, not a case of being a coward, the things you suggest (well meant) could even aggravate them more. do not chance a thing here. Safety in numbers as a rule. These Thais would NEVER do this alone.

I was driving my bike completely sober to Jomtien on a Major Highway at 9 pm when a heavy downpour started..Could no longer see the road so stopped under a bridge..At least 6 teenagers had also stopped under this bridge when a Thai girl walked over and said this Bridge is for Thai people Only and you need to leave...I saw no reason to leave until the rain let up but then was Threatened I would get the crap beat out of me If I did not go....

Provoked for absolutely No reason so I did the smart thing and pushed my bike in the rain to a small overhang until the major part of the storm had passed but I got out from under what they thought was there Bridge which was only for Thai people..

No reason to be a shrinking violet... A lot of times making them laugh will get you thru it..

Keep insisting your Tiger Woods. The less you look like Tiger Woods then the funnier it becomes.

There a lot of ways to disarm someone psychologically. The ultimate weapon of martial arts is your brain.

-Make them laugh

-Fake a seizure

The options are limited only by your creativity and understanding of human nature

He did the right thing, not a case of being a coward, the things you suggest (well meant) could even aggravate them more. do not chance a thing here. Safety in numbers as a rule. These Thais would NEVER do this alone.

He may have postured up. It's hard to know what transpired.

The important thing is to keep thinking and see a positive outcome(s) in your mind.

If you only see a negative outcome then your odds come way down.

Like if you ask a girl out and can't imagine her saying okay yes... Confidence and positive imagery are very powerful.

-Make them laugh

-Fake a seizure

He may have postured up. It's hard to know what transpired.

The important thing is to keep thinking and see a positive outcome(s) in your mind.

If you only see a negative outcome then your odds come way down.

Like if you ask a girl out and can't imagine her saying okay yes... Confidence and positive imagery are very powerful.

I was talking about KINIYOW--not the Dutchman. Just move away from any problem.

Similar to the bar situation when the big guy says--you just touched my sleave-- get out of there.

lavender19, on 18 Mar 2013 - 12:37, said:

It makes me wonder if most of these posters live in Thailand or have ever visited here.

If any of you do live here and speak thai just listen to what Thai's think about falang.You would be quite surprised at the hatred they have for us.

Lavender

I live in Thailand, speak and understand Thai fluently, interact with a number of Thais on a daily basis..... From office workers, stall owners, big businesses, govt officials, cleaners, guards,

And in my experience no one has shown a dislike let alone expressed hatred for farangs. The most I've heard is some of the women may not be keen to date farangs......for different reasons

I hear comments about not liking Indians more than anything. Years ago maybe some disrespect to Burmese, but more recently even that seems to have died down. Anyway, that's getting a bit sidetracked.

Point is, stop assuming there is a hate campaign against farang, cos there isn't.

As others have said, a group of teen's. Some of them do stupid, senseless, and cruel things.

I personally know a Thai teen who was attacked by more than 10 other teens, simply cos their shoulder touched (lightly) when their paths crossed. The incident shocked me, and to this day I still struggle to come to terms with it.....as is the case with any violence.

Not saying any of it is right, but I give you the example to clarify that it is not simply about a race/ethnic / nationality divide.

Pathumtani is usually quiet I have been living here for 20 years .... Thai teens dont fight without reason , either he did or said something wrong as apparently he was intoxicated. sometime those teen group don't need much to start a fight.

Ex is from Lam Luk Ka her and her siblings are certifiable.

In the absence of any verified facts in respect to the motive, I shall weigh in with my own theory;

The assault was motivated by size envy. Everyone wants to be tall like the Dutch. For those that are short, particularly insecure adolescents, the envy can result in uncontrollable outbursts. These Dutch people can reach for items on the supermarket shelf with no problem, change lightbulbs easily, see above the crowds and can successfully look down girls blouses unnoticed allowing them to view boobies. Adolescent boys are obsessed with boobies. Knowing that some hansum tall Dutchman can get a free peak drives Thai teens batty.

I call this theory, Resentment of The Tall Dutch Syndrome and will submit it to the Journal of Pseudoscience next month.

I believe my theory has more validity than the nonsensical explanations offered thus far.

I do believe you have something here.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?hl=en-GB&v=1NvgLkuEtkA&gl=SG&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1NvgLkuEtkA%26gl%3DSG%26hl%3Den-GB

lavender19, on 18 Mar 2013 - 12:37, said:

It makes me wonder if most of these posters live in Thailand or have ever visited here.

If any of you do live here and speak thai just listen to what Thai's think about falang.You would be quite surprised at the hatred they have for us.

Lavender

I live in Thailand, speak and understand Thai fluently, interact with a number of Thais on a daily basis..... From office workers, stall owners, big businesses, govt officials, cleaners, guards,

And in my experience no one has shown a dislike let alone expressed hatred for farangs. The most I've heard is some of the women may not be keen to date farangs......for different reasons

I hear comments about not liking Indians more than anything. Years ago maybe some disrespect to Burmese, but more recently even that seems to have died down. Anyway, that's getting a bit sidetracked.

Point is, stop assuming there is a hate campaign against farang, cos there isn't.

As others have said, a group of teen's. Some of them do stupid, senseless, and cruel things.

I personally know a Thai teen who was attacked by more than 10 other teens, simply cos their shoulder touched (lightly) when their paths crossed. The incident shocked me, and to this day I still struggle to come to terms with it.....as is the case with any violence.

Not saying any of it is right, but I give you the example to clarify that it is not simply about a race/ethnic / nationality divide.

But aren't you doing exactly the same thing in assuming there is no hatred based solely on your personal experience.

There may well be hatred based on a number of reasons but never having experienced hatred in the 20 yrs of living here certainly does not mean that it either does or does not exist. There may be numerous cases of people who are in daily contact with tourists who may well appear very wealthy to some thus possibly making a person envious/jealous and even resentful.

David.

Its not unheard of anywhere for bored teenagers to vandalise property, race bikes etc... its also not unheard of for bored teenagers to attack someone.

As such it could easily be a simple case of this guy being in the wrong place at the wrong time with a bunch of bored teenagers out on the prowl looking for a bit of trouble.

There were stories of something like this happening years ago where they rode past a westerner and hit him on the back of the head with a plank of wood...

Sometimes there simply is no reason regardless of how healthy the guy looks.

Just because someone doesn't have a beer gut, it doesn't mean he is a scrapper !! - Some of the comments so far defy intelligence !

So the guy gets an @ssbeating, and as if that isn't enough here you go impugning his fighting skills when he was attacked by a gang at night, drunk.

Nice going.

had a good friend of mine who served two tours in Vietnam. He told me if you are up against one guy, just stick to Queensberry rules for fighting.

If six guys are coming at you, you are now in a fight for your life. So act accordingly. Hint.....no rules,where teeth make a great weapon, and an eye gouge takes the fight right out of a attacker..

Agreed - there should have been at least one badly injured Thai laying nearby.

He may have offended the Thai youth without even knowing it,i think i heard from the video he was here for only three days or so.

By the looks of his hands i don't believe he had a chance to get in some punches or he chose not to fight back.

Despite all the knowledge about self defense and the wisdom of Vietnam Vets,the number one rule in a case like this is surviving, and nothing else.

Most people do not decide on the spot to fight but already now how they will react,of course being in a different country may affect this.

I do not condone what the Thais did to him but it could have happened any where in the world.

The victim of this assault survived the incident and let us hope the police will be able to find the offenders and take it from there.

Come on all you people stop bickering you all know very well young teenagers everywhere in the world now are mostly ass holes they have no respect for nothing even themselves and if you don't have respect for your parents or yourself how the hell can you have for a stranger. They had no right to assault this man no matter what he did that's what the police are for.As six of them attacked one man they are just a bunch of lilly livered ass holes. Now Good Day and take care its becoming a dangerous world out there.

Come on all you people stop bickering you all know very well young teenagers everywhere in the world now are mostly ass holes they have no respect for nothing even themselves and if you don't have respect for your parents or yourself how the hell can you have for a stranger. They had no right to assault this man no matter what he did that's what the police are for.As six of them attacked one man they are just a bunch of lilly livered ass holes. Now Good Day and take care its becoming a dangerous world out there.

We don't know what he said or did, or was trying to proposition them to do. We don't know anything. So best wait til they can find these teens and get a story from then, then try to figure out who is the worse liar.

He might make some goof definitely.

actually Dutch people are most tactkless & out of turn ( worse than Brits ))

Thai guys never attact without reason.

Possibly may have, might have. OR Definitely did. Only those present know and right now most are missing.

Frankly I just hope Mr Nikolaas Dijk recovers from his injuries. I find your comment about the Dutch & British to be quite groundless and more to the point quite irrelevant.

The area where the assault apparently took place near the Manhattan Hotel on Thep Kunchon 42, Pathum Thani, is clean and a fairly new area. Internet cafes sometimes attract a certain type of person, but who attacked him is only open to speculation until the police have any luck in an arrest.

• Like 1

Pathumtani is usually quiet I have been living here for 20 years .... Thai teens dont fight without reason , either he did or said something wrong as apparently he was intoxicated. sometime those teen group don't need much to start a fight.

"Thai teens don't fight without a reason, but they don't need to be much of a reason to fight?" Oh the irony. Did you actually read your post before clicking on submit?

How about a group of drunk or drugged up teens out looking for trouble and found a single farang appearing to be an easy target. Seems reason enough to me unless you have a better explanation.

Perhaps you don't realize it, but the line in bold above has more truth in it than you obviously could imagine.

Sloppy journalism, or maybe sloppy police. The guy's first name is stated as Dijk, well, nobody in the Netherlands is called Dijk. Dijk means dike in Dutch. Most likely his first name is Dick.

yes, just like we call all dutchmen Kees in Flanders

• Like 1

Well, thank you very much for your kind words.

As your self-appointed resident Dutch uncle here at the TV Thailand News forum I do have a reputation to consider. Although maybe not 24 * 7, but I'm always willing and able to offer free and unwanted advise.

In your case may I suggest to buy a mirror?

• Like 2

I seem to recall another story where Thai teens attacked a farang with machetes. When interviewed by the police, they said they were simply out to attack a farang, so apparently in that case the farang was not a fault.

Farang is Farang, no more, no less, just farang

There is more to this story , I dont believe teenagers just start beating a foreigner without a reason.

He must have done something wrong in the past....

yes I have doubts on the "no reason". But who knows.....

According to the Daily News article referenced in the Coconutsbangkok story, he was staying at the Manhattan Hotel and had been there for three days. On the evening of the assault he'd been to visit some entertainment venues at the end of Soi Manhattan and he was assaulted on walking back to his hotel by the teens who pulled up on their bikes.

So it looks like the cause of the attack could be something that happened at the entertainment venues he visited.

• Like 1

There is more to this story , I dont believe teenagers just start beating a foreigner without a reason.

He must have done something wrong in the past....

yes I have doubts on the "no reason". But who knows.....

According to the Daily News article referenced in the Coconutsbangkok story, he was staying at the Manhattan Hotel and had been there for three days. On the evening of the assault he'd been to visit some entertainment venues at the end of Soi Manhattan and he was assaulted on walking back to his hotel by the teens who pulled up on their bikes.

So it looks like the cause of the attack could be something that happened at the entertainment venues he visited.

Trying to pick up on one of their girlfriends?

Sadly not true, about 10 years ago at a birthday party in patong 2 people get into a fight about a mutual friend. They were "best friends",

1 gets stabed over 20 times by the other 1 who was on yaba. Next day the culprit couldn't remember the incident but had to face murder charges.

"best friend" didn't survive.

In the absence of any verified facts in respect to the motive, I shall weigh in with my own theory;

The assault was motivated by size envy. Everyone wants to be tall like the Dutch. For those that are short, particularly insecure adolescents, the envy can result in uncontrollable outbursts. These Dutch people can reach for items on the supermarket shelf with no problem, change lightbulbs easily, see above the crowds and can successfully look down girls blouses unnoticed allowing them to view boobies. Adolescent boys are obsessed with boobies. Knowing that some hansum tall Dutchman can get a free peak drives Thai teens batty.

I call this theory, Resentment of The Tall Dutch Syndrome and will submit it to the Journal of Pseudoscience next month.

I believe my theory has more validity than the nonsensical explanations offered thus far.

Damn !!!!! I am two meters tall, so according to your interesting theory, I face future years of being lumped with the Dutch and will be subject to random attacks?????? :-)

Frankly, judging by the way many farang act and behave in Thailand i am amazed these beatings don't happen more often.

Wonder if a group of Thais would try the same crap in Amsterdam or London ?

Edited by Banzai99