Thai Visa For New Born----Needed Or Not ?

Hi ! Anyone can share some similar experience ?

My baby was born in Thailand 5 months ago. Soon she will get a foreign passport and fly to abroad.

My question: if she gets the passport today, and tomorrow she flies to abroad, does she still need to apply a thai visa for her staying since her birth till now in Thailand ?

If the new born's passport has no thai visa, will the airport immigration consider her stay in the past 5 months illegal ? And what is the punishment ? Penalty or not allow to exit border ?

Thanks a lot in advance

Susan

No, she doesn't need a visa or extension of stay. When you fly out with the child you simply show the Thai birth certificate, that explains why there is no immigration record of the child and the child can leave without further problems.

returning to Thailand the child will of course be subject to all immigration requirements, including a visa of its own.

Thanks to you guys! That relieves my stress laugh.png

I asked this question, because in the similar case in China, the foreign nationality baby (born in China) must get a visa before he/she can exit China, otherwise, not allowed to fly out sick.gif .... of course, communist country, nasty !

We did this with our British-British Thai born girl last year. As mentioned above you just show the birth certificate. We were taken to a table behind the immigration counters our daughter given a LOT of attention and everything was sorted out. Visa application for our daughter was a Non-Immi 'O' off Mum's Work Permit and 'B' as a dependent. Consulate in Birmingham returned the documents in 3 days of us sending. Nice and simple.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"I think your child may be able to have dual passports until about 16 years old ie. Thai and UK."

For anyone eligible, there is currently no time limit on how long you are a dual national.

At least from the Thai side.

Terry

I think your child may be able to have dual passports until about 16 years old ie. Thai and UK. Please enquire at embassy

completely inaccurate information...

Yes you may be correct thats why I said 'I think'...I was only taking reference from my own case, where my son, now 11, has dual passports and visits UK with no problems....However Many thanks for your correction.

I think your child may be able to have dual passports until about 16 years old ie. Thai and UK. Please enquire at embassy

Yes you may be correct thats why I said 'I think'...I was only taking reference from my own case, where my son, now 11, has dual passports and visits UK with no problems....However Many thanks for your correction.

In which case your child will not be compelled to relinquish either nationality. He will, however, be given the opportunity to apply relinquish his Thai nationality for one year following his 20th birthday, if he so wishes.

There is no indication in the OP that the child in question is also a Thai national. Therefore, no more replies should be made based on the assumption that she has Thai nationality.

Sent from my Android tablet

In which case your child will not be compelled to relinquish either nationality. He will, however, be given the opportunity to apply relinquish his Thai nationality for one year following his 20th birthday, if he so wishes.

He is going to be Thai....He has seen the UK winter!.... What would you choose? Many thanks.

He is going to be Thai....He has seen the UK winter!.... What would you choose? Many thanks.

I've kept both my Australian and Thai passports for all of my adult life thus far. My age is somewhere aroud the '40' mark. No problems to keep both. No need to chose.

• Like 1

I've kept both my Australian and Thai passports for all of my adult life thus far. My age is somewhere aroud the '40' mark. No problems to keep both. No need to chose.

Thanks for that info....now I'm wondering if it could be different for the UK....I'm sure my wife said my son would have to choose at 15 or so. She also said "farang no can hab Thai passport" .....Sometimes I'm sure Thais don't understand everything Thai themselves! As a Farang myself, I am always Thaid up in knots and confusion....but it's all good fun. I'm off to the UK Embassy in a couple of weeks, will let you know what British [un]luck is like.... All the best to you.

As said there is nothing magic about 15 and Thai do not have to give up citizenship if the combination is UK/Thai. There are some countries that have such rules so if other nationality was from there a decision would have to be made for that reason - not for any reason from Thailand.

And any citizen of Thailand can have a Thai passport so some farangs do indeed have them. Some farangs can and do obtain Thai citizenship.

so i was right! i always suspected you were a grumpy old man Samran laugh.png

As said, nothing magic about 15 or 16 years of age. Best to read the Thai nationality act which is available in English which opens a window to renounce between ages 20 and 21. But there is no compulsion and if no choice is made there is no penalty.