' Ignoring Court Advice May Ignite Protests': Referendum On Rewriting The Constitution

webfact

'Ignoring court advice may ignite protests'
Busarakham Sinlapalavan
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thammasat University will warn the government not to ignore the Constitution Court's advice to hold a public referendum on rewriting the Constitution as that could rekindle political protests.

"There will be conflict again. And the people who disapprove of the government's decision will take to the streets to express their opposition," Assoc Prof Prinya Thaewanaru-mitkul, a law lecturer at the university, said yesterday.

A team of law and political science lecturers at Thammasat brainstorming answers to three questions from the government regarding its plan to amend the Constitution agreed that although the court's suggestion was not legally binding, there would be a "social impact" if it were not heeded.

Some questions had more than one answer, but all the answers would be sent to the government before the long Songkran holiday in the middle of next month. The government should not make the decision by itself.

"We want a democratic method to be applied," he said. The Thammasat team would also make more suggestions and question the need for drafting a charter from scratch, he said.

To prevent any criticism or misunderstanding, the university opted not to receive government funding for this mission.

Chulalongkorn and Ramkham-haeng universities have also received the questions from the government-appointed committee to study the legal issues on staging a public referendum on revising the charter, which is chaired by Education Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana. The study teams have 60 days from January 15 to offer comments on the three points:

lWhether Parliament can amend the Constitution of 2007 to allow the rewriting of the whole Constitution and what would be the process.

lWhat are the legal implications of the Constitution Court's ruling last July related to the referendum and whether conducting the referendum after a charter rewrite would be in line with the court's recommendation.

lWhat is the legality of a referendum on whether people agree with a charter rewrite to be used with the charter amendment bill that has been stalled in Parliament.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-25

Doesn't this guy realise that the PTP won the nation election with an underwhelming majority and therefore they can do what they want, when they want and how they want?

If you object too loudlt Thida's mob will be knocking on your door or you will be slapped with a "democratic" lese majest charge.

• Like 1

Doesn't this guy realise that the PTP won the nation election with an underwhelming majority and therefore they can do what they want, when they want and how they want?

If you object too loudlt Thida's mob will be knocking on your door or you will be slapped with a "democratic" lese majest charge.

I doubt if your last projected outcome will happen. Are you aware of any Lese Majeste charge being made by this government? The answer is No, that was the last lots political tool.

• Like 1

I doubt if your last projected outcome will happen. Are you aware of any Lese Majeste charge being made by this government? The answer is No, that was the last lots political tool.

The answer to your question appears to be Yes.

September 2011. Computer programmer Surapak Puchaieseng was arrested, detained and had his computer confiscated after being accused of insulting the Thai royal family on Facebook – his arrest marked the

first lèse majesté case since prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra was elected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A8se_majest%C3%A9_in_Thailand

Then of course there were a number of other cases (which you can see in the above link) made by governments (your wording) of various TRT hues, between 2005 and Dec 2008.

But I realise these fall outside the ambit of your rather narrowly worded, and rhetorical, question. smile.png

>September 2011. Computer programmer Surapak Puchaieseng was arrested, detained and had his computer confiscated after being accused of insulting the Thai royal family on Facebook – his arrest marked the

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A8se_majest%C3%A9_in_Thailand

Then of course there were a number of other cases (which you can see in the above link) made by governments (your wording) of various TRT hues, between 2005 and Dec 2008.

But I realise these fall outside the ambit of your rather narrowly worded, and rhetorical, question. smile.png

The arrest was in Yinglucks tenure. The arrest was not made at the governments behest - as you so rightly point my narrowly worded rhetorical question was to point out that the PTP has not and does not use Lese Majeste charges in a political way unlike the now opposition party did.

However the recent Thai PBS programme suggests that the present government is no less enthusiastic to enter into the fray if it suits their purposes, since the national police chief will review the entire five-part Tob Jote series aired on Thai PBS since the programme has attracted a huge public interest and the issue has ramifications on national security, police have appointed a team of 50 investigators led by Pol Gen Chatchawan Suksomjit, and Pol Lt Gen Saritchai Anekwiang as deputy investigator. Police from stations across the country will be instructed to accept complaints filed by members of the public.

There are those who take the view and they are normally staunch present government supporters with a disdain for "the other lot", that a public process of lese majeste vilification is under-way. The police, who work under the direction of the government, are engaging in an “investigation” that is repressive and reactionary.

>September 2011. Computer programmer Surapak Puchaieseng was arrested, detained and had his computer confiscated after being accused of insulting the Thai royal family on Facebook – his arrest marked the

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A8se_majest%C3%A9_in_Thaila

nd

The arrest was in Yinglucks tenure. The arrest was not made at the governments behest - as you so rightly point my narrowly worded rhetorical question was to point out that the PTP has not and does not use Lese Majeste charges in a political way unlike the now opposition party did.

I think I am getting it now.

There were several arrests and prosecutions for Lese Majeste prior to the coup; some during the period of the coup "government"; then some more during the post-coup, PPP period; followed by more while the Dems were in government; and now another one since PT and Yingluck got into power.

But only the Dems were different ie politically motivated.

Yep. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

And one of this "lots" BIG political tools seems to be (DSI's) Khun Tarit, as ... interestingly enough,"the last lots political tool" as well. Both sides have their own agenda's and seemingly neither are opposed to using the same strong arm tactics whenever/wherever they deem necessary. Much as I prefer to choose the side that comes closest to my own preferences, they are (after all) politicians that will do what ever is necessary to keep the upper hand for themselves rather than go down in flames working for the people. Just because they label themselves "For the Thai People" or "Democrats" or whatever, it doesn't make them the peoples heroes unless they actually do something to improve the plight of the people. A nominal amount of us on TV have been around long enough to understand that no matter what any political party may promise the common man for his/her vote, the common people will continue to be just that, "COMMON PEOPLE" that pay the taxes that support the as*holes that make policy that will ALWAYS keep their "money makers" exactly where they are, making money to be stolen by the thieves that label themselves saviours of the common man. Hopefully, someday, these folk who pay/pave the way for their saviours will decide NOT to "Eat cake". Thanks for reading my rant, but unfortunately, the poor will always be poor and the elite will always run the show. I just think it would be nice to cut the voters ie, the taxpayers ie, the "money tree" enough slack to feed and clothe themseves and their children, keep a roof over their heads, pay the bills and just maybe save a bit o' dosh to have a yuk or two on the side. And since I don't see that happinin in my time ... let the "thieving SOB policy makers" rot in hell.

Edited by Dap

Didn't you recognise applied sarsasm 101 in my post?

The government doesn't HAVE to make it. ANYBODY can against anybody else including ANY Thais against you or me for that matter but NOT the other way around.

Edited by billd766

One of the proposals in the latest bill for 'reconciliation' proposes to do away with the people's right to petition the Constitution court directly.Under Pheua Thai's proposal the public can only petition the court through the Attorney General, a position Pheua Thai are confident they can control.

Democracy chipped away piece by piece by the Shinawats.