First-Car Buyers Reversals May Affect Thai Auto Industry

webfact

Hum, offer a tax-rebate last year, which pulls purchases forward, and it might be followed by a decline in sales, the following year. wink.png

Whoever would have thunk it ? whistling.gif

Ah yes, idiot governmnets love to jump in and manipulate markets for short term political gain. All they do is pull demand forward creating lower demand later until things move back into equilibrium. First Home Buyerss, Car Buyers, artificially low interest rates only ever achieve one lasting effect and that is excessive consumer debt.

• Like 1

the Bronx tale/DeNiro test doesn't work anymore.

This was back before there was central locking remember. So each door had to be unlocked individually. These days with keyless entry, one push of the car key remote open all doors. So if you open her door for her and walk around to your/driver's door - it's already unlock. Its pointless for her unlock and already unlocked door!

Works in Thailand.

Buy a small car in the lower, standard equipment options in Thailand, if you like that Test.

The Central locking system, is only by key and does not work on the passenger side door. (Nissan March standard version)

Most Thai women girls, will, with their inexperience not pass the test. blink.png

shrimpythailand, on 26 Mar 2013 - 18:40, said:snapback.png

and the old trick from one of the bronx DeNiro movies test:

open the door for your woman and let her get in the car - close her door.... slowly walk around the car to your side and see if she unlocks the door for you before you have to put the key in the door.... now THAT is the test to see if she really loves you or not....was great forget which movie A Bronx tale maybe??

Edited by ALFREDO

What if she offers to go back to work in the bar to support me? laugh.png

How that works out, depends on her age, her looks, her style ect. I believe. tongue.png

If that is all very well appreciated, she will, with a Good Chance find soon somebody, who helps her out of that situation.

If that is not well appreciated and finds no "resonance". you same with above other possibility, have also, no real long time funding. wink.png

I don't understand why people are beating on this guy. In Canada assets are split equally when a marriage ends, it is understood that both partners contributed to the accumulated wealth. In Thailand your wife gets it all, nothing wrong with having something in your name. I love my wife, we have been together for 7 years, I hope we're together for many more, but when I buy a new car it's going in my name. I have a lease on our home to protect me, she owns the house, 2 parcels of land and our current vehicle. When a woman, Thai or not, objects to you having something of your own, you have a problem. I think a good test is is to suggest that instead of buying a house in her name, that you buy a condo in your name and tell her to trust that you will leave it to her in the event of your demise, see how much she trusts you.

In Thailand if you are smart enough to get a good lawyer and have kept the recepts of how much you invested with the wife you will probably get half as well. Its just not rigged aganist you as everyone believes

Well the first car Scheme overall has been a disaster, most of the money is going out of Thailand. All the while housing and many other things which could benefit Thailand, has either stalled or is now in total decline. Just hope they wont do anything like that again. The government is in need if money now; and is starting to chase Taxi drivers and small restaurants for tax money a fine impossible chaos. Can't really wait till ASEAN with unite, it will be quite a mess in my accounts. But I still have good hopes for my good old Thailand clap2.gif

Did think about signing up for this thing myself, but as it would have had to been in my Mrs's name seemed like too big a risk as the house already is, and if she boots me out would like to be left with at least a car to sleep in.

Paid cash in the end and didn't bother about getting the tax back, at least I will always have a car to sleep in.

And a means to get away........brm, brm...! smile.png

Thailand needs to have there roads updated for these automobiles. There is too much traffic now and there roads are the same. Also, motorbikes and cars do not mix..I bought a truck and drove in Pattaya what a nightmare will all the motorbikes and autos. I tried to sell it two months later and was not allowed, You Must Own The Automoblie Two Years Before You Can Sell It... (Thailand)

First the Rice SCAM, and now the First Car buying SCAM, this is what comes into my mind, when the ordinary and poor taxpayers cannot pay back their loans:

Can you please explain how the car scheme is a scam?

There is another thread, a news story, that the government doesn't have the money to pay all of these rebates when they are due in April. Shock. cheesy.gifLink

• Like 1

Did think about signing up for this thing myself, but as it would have had to been in my Mrs's name seemed like too big a risk as the house already is, and if she boots me out would like to be left with at least a car to sleep in.

Paid cash in the end and didn't bother about getting the tax back, at least I will always have a car to sleep in.

well done, the most successful hijacking of a thread I've seen. Most of the comments here are about your marriage.i doubt that was your intention, but if it was i am doubly impressed. Edited by Bluespunk

First the Rice SCAM, and now the First Car buying SCAM, this is what comes into my mind, when the ordinary and poor taxpayers cannot pay back their loans:

There is another thread, a news story, that the government doesn't have the money to pay all of these rebates when they are due in April. Shock. cheesy.gifLink

So the worst that is expected is that not all payments scheduled for April when be made then, and could be delayed.

Once again - how is it a scam?

Who is is scamming who, and how?

So the worst that is expected is that not all payments scheduled for April when be made then, and could be delayed.

There's no scam on the part of the government, other than providing a subsidy for Thai car makers. There is a "scam" by Thai car buyers who are not legitimate first time buyers to take advantage of the scheme using surrogate family members who never owned a car and qualify.

A lot of Thais "scammed" the first time buyers program, and may be backing out now. For example, regular family car owners wanted a new car, but knew they could not buy one under the scheme, so they put it in their son or daughter or niece, whatever name, and thought they would laugh all the way to the bank.

Reality probably set in that said nephew was a loser and couldn't qualify under the loan even with multiple co-signers, etc., or for other reasons, even buyer's remorse (which can cause a lot of cancelled car orders when the buyer has a lot of time to think it over - as in this program) for long lead times for the most popular models,etc..

Therefore, I think it's evident that there wasn't a huge pent-up demand by first time buyers, it was something else....

Saw that play out at least once. I don't know how many families did it, but the only one I know well certainly did.

Judging by the amount of people registering their cars over new year who didn't know the make or model - some not even the colour - I would suggest it was a popularly exploited loop hole...

I guess you're a "glass half empty" sort of guy?

Or maybe he's thinking something like "fools rush in where wise men fear to tread" and who gives a damn about percepton therapy coffee1.gifclap2.gif

I think a good test is tell her you just lost your job and you are broke. If she says never mind we will make it somehow then you got a winner. Otherwise......

Been there. After a period homelessness and absolute poverty and unceasing encouragement and support from her throughout, we are still together 20 years later.

Think she might be a winner...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

It really is depressing how almost every thread turns into a Thai bashing session. This is a scam, that's a scam, they are bad drivers, bad people, Thailand is crap. The opening reply is a thinly disguised slur on Thai women in general.

We only bought our car this year and missed out on the rebate which on the surface seemed a good idea. And my Thai wife is a good chick.

The government’s first-car policy has greatly contributed to the growth of auto sales in Thailand last year

and to this: Roads in Thailand worlds sixth most dangerous which cost the country manyfold the income from autosales annually.sad.png

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Roads-in-Thailand-the-sixth-most-dangerous-30202575.html

Frankly, I think the dangerous roads" business is nonsense to a certain extent. I do not see that many wrecked cars as I drive down the road (far more in the US). I suspect that these bad statistics are skewed by the million 14-25 year olds riding motorcycles like they have a death wish (which is often granted). That does not translate to danger for the prudent auto driver. Most Thais, having paid a lot for their cars, are, if anything, over prudent. I wonder what the traffic stats would look like if you factored out the motorcycles? I'm betting not bad.

In any event, the first time buyer plan worked for me. I used my Thai niece If I lived in BKK, where a million extra cars were dumped into the mix, though, I would be cursing the program.

Edited by Ticketmaster
  • Like 1

You can put the car in your name. I did it - just need your residence certificate.

You can put the car in your name. I did it - just need your residence certificate.

Nonsense, This topic is about the tax rebate, which is not for a farang

There is another thread, a news story, that the government doesn't have the money to pay all of these rebates when they are due in April. Shock. cheesy.gif Link

There's no scam on the part of the government, other than providing a subsidy for Thai car makers. There is a "scam" by Thai car buyers who are not legitimate first time buyers to take advantage of the scheme using surrogate family members who never owned a car and qualify.

It's not even a subsidy, pay tax in get tax back, zero sum.

Toyota Thailand Motor has previously announced they are suspending production, in order to save electricity, during the period April 5 - May 4 <I think> (the potential electricity shortage is scheduled to last April 4 - 15).

Auto exports, that is to say, cars and trucks manufactured here in Thailand and exported to other countries, are presumably unaffected by potentially accelerated purchases owing to the first-time buyer program?

And a lot of cars were lost in the floods so those also had to be replaced, which presumably put a strain on manufacturing and cut in to future new car purchases which might have occurred at a more timely rate?