Bangkok International Motor Show 2013 Is Expected To Set A New Sales Record

webfact

MOTOR SHOW
Auto makers look to region

Kingsley Wijayasinha
The Nation

30202795-01_big.jpg
The Bangkok International Motor Show, which opens to the public today, is expected to set a new sales record of 60,000 orders.

Major auto-makers at Bangkok expo target buyers from around Asean

BANGKOK: -- While this year's Bangkok International Motor Show could set a new sales record of 60,000 orders, major auto-makers are not only looking at the Thai market but also all of Asean.

"Asean is such an important growth opportunity for Ford within our Asia-Pacific region," Alan Mulally, president and chief executive officer of Ford Motor Company, said yesterday.

"Our plan and successful product-led transformation is helping to deliver even more segment-leading vehicles, like the all-new EcoSport."

Major auto companies are launching models for Thailand as well as other Asean markets such as Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines.

Besides the Ford EcoSport, the Toyota Vios, Chevrolet Spin, Honda Accord and Nissan Pulsar are among the models offered in this region.

The EcoSport is an example of Ford's strategy to enhance its momentum by entering even more volume segments across the region.

Ford expects 60-70 per cent of its sales growth globally this decade to come from Asia and the Pacific, with Asean playing a key role.

The large number of new products is expected to help stimulate the Thai market, despite predictions of a slight decline from last year's record 1.4 million units.

"We must admit that last year was a golden year for the Thai auto industry," said Prachin Eamlumnow, the organiser of the Bangkok Motor Show. "This is another chapter in Thailand's automotive history, and it stems from various positive factors including the government's first-car-buyer scheme.

"There were effects carried over from the flood in late 2011, which increased demand for new vehicles, especially pickup trucks.

"Automobile companies in Thailand launched a large number of new models including eco-cars, small passenger cars and pickup trucks that were in the government's projects. They enabled the industry to achieve record sales last year, and into this year," he said.

In the luxury car segment, Mercedes-Benz is expected to win customers for the new E-Class, while BMW is highlighting the 3 Series hybrid. Lexus is launching its IS luxury compact, which is also available as a hybrid.

And at the top of the spectrum is the Rolls-Royce Phantom Extended Wheelbase, priced at a whopping Bt42.5 million.

Concept vehicles on display include the Mitsubishi GR-HEV and G4, Mercedes-Benz CLA, Nissan Ellure and Toyota FUN Vii and FCV-R.

The event goes until April 7 at Muang Thong Thani.

"Although in 2013 the market may not be as strong as last year, we believe that the Thai auto industry will move ahead, since auto companies have been working hard since the start of the year with new-model launches," Prachin said.

"Competition in the eco-car market remains strong. Mitsubishi will exhibit the G4 eco-car concept at the motor show, while Toyota's eco-car is expected to be introduced later this year."

The Vios will attract hordes of customers because of its high popularity, he said.

A total of 36 carmakers are taking part in the event, along with seven motorcycle and 230 accessories companies.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-27

Without the 100k discount ? I highly doubt it.

I'm picturing a drastic slump in those cars covered by the rebate. Might be a good time to chase some discounts / freebies atthe show for those cars. Free insurance would be nice; it was 22K for my swift! Too many new drivers I guess, driving up premiums.

I'm picturing a drastic slump in those cars covered by the rebate. Might be a good time to chase some discounts / freebies atthe show for those cars. Free insurance would be nice; it was 22K for my swift! Too many new drivers I guess, driving up premiums.

Waiting for the delivery of a Ford Fiesta this week, it has free insurance plus a lot of freebies like dark film for the windows, side skirts, car mats and a boot liner but wasn't possible to get any cash discount.

Anyone know the price of all new Eco sport and delivery ?

No prices have been announced, and it doesn't enter production until Q4, so more than likely an end of year official release.

Prices are anticipated to start around the 700K mark.

Waiting for the delivery of a Ford Fiesta this week, it has free insurance plus a lot of freebies like dark film for the windows, side skirts, car mats and a boot liner but wasn't possible to get any cash discount.

The new 2013 minor change (with the Aston front end) or the outgoing 2012 model? If the latter, I would expect a handsome discount.

The new 2013 minor change (with the Aston front end) or the outgoing 2012 model? If the latter, I would expect a handsome discount.

The latest model 1.6 ultimate sport but most of them seem good value when you compare them to a Toyota Yaris as their top of the range model is 20,000 baht cheaper than the ultimate sport and has less equipment than the base sport Fiesta which is much cheaper.

Free insurance? Very few things are actually 'free'. I don't believe insurance is in that category. Use the word 'included' (in the purchase price) to remind yourself that the word 'free' in a deal are the marketeers' attempt to manipulate the buyer's decision-making process.

Edited by MaxYakov

Thailand’s auto production soon to reach 3 million units
By English News

13643627722297-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, March 27 – Thailand will emerge as one of the world’s top 10 auto manufacturing hubs with a rocketing annual production of three million vehicles in the next 4-5 years, the deputy prime minister and finance minister said today.

Kittiratt Na-Ranong said revised excise tax collections will enable the auto industry in Thailand to adjust and map a clear-cut manufacturing plan for the next three years.

The excise tax system will be based on carbon dioxide emissions to stimulate eco-car production, he said.

Addressing public concerns over booking cancellations by first-car buyers, Mr Kittiratt said the number was minimal and would not affect auto manufacturers.

The government earlier announced a Bt100,000 tax rebate for buyers of first cars at a maximum of 1,500cc engine size. The incentives ending on Dec 31 last year had sharply increased the number of first-time buyers, some of whom paid booking fees with promises to take their cars this year.

Mr Kittiratt said the scheme attracted 1.2 million first-car buyers, with 99 per cent of those making bookings finally making purchases.

A first-time buyer is required to pay tax for a year and is entitled to a rebate at year end, the deputy premier said, explaining that such a procedure does not impact the government’s budget. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-03-27

The only problem being demand outstrips supply. Sales claims should be on actual deliveries not orders. Already sales from pre-ordered vehicles made prior to December cannot be filled. Having this show will increase the back log but hey, the spin doctors will keep the fantasy alive.

I am sorry I can not find the article I read the other day talking about major manufactures looking to go to Indonesia. Where labor is cheaper and workers are easily found. It make a good read but as this article it over looked the failings in production there just as this one has omitted them.

Thailand deserves all the success it can achieve, to have big sales years after devastating floods is incredible. I suspect the demand vs supply equation highly deliberate to keep second hand and new car prices high - market forces. Still way cheap compared to Singapore and Vietnam - SG 80k usd before you even buy a car.

i wish other countries would slap 307% tax fine on thai imported cars in their country

kinda of making them feel it is NOT OK in 2013 to have those protectionist laws

and who are they kidding, they think they will sell again hundreds of thousands of cars ???

good the gov don't have money to support another disaster

I ordered a new Ford Ranger at the beginning of November (before the last motor show), and they have STILL not given me a delivery date. Rumours are that if I am really lucky, I might get it before Songkran, but that's over five months.

And they are even made in Rayong!

No prices have been announced, and it doesn't enter production until Q4, so more than likely an end of year official release.

Prices are anticipated to start around the 700K mark.

If you right about the pricing and hope you are, it might do really well.

I was thinking of picking myself up the Rolls-Royce Phantom Extended Wheelbase, priced at Bt42.5 million, but sadly i am 42 million short, so will have to skip that ideasad.png

Take finance for the 42 million, and default after six months! thumbsup.gif

I was thinking of picking myself up the Rolls-Royce Phantom Extended Wheelbase, priced at Bt42.5 million, but sadly i am 42 million short, so will have to skip that ideasad.png

Take finance for the 42 million, and default after six months! thumbsup.gif

I do not think Thai guarantor will be too happy about that.

On an Indian review site I think it was from $24,000 to $30,000 US. Based on the fiesta and something like 2inches longer and India gets a diesel which I don't think will be sold here, would be very tempted to get one if they did it here.

On an Indian review site I think it was from $24,000 to $30,000 US. Based on the fiesta and something like 2inches longer and India gets a diesel which I don't think will be sold here, would be very tempted to get one if they did it here.

Do not think its same car, only because if production to start in Q4, how could India have it already

I ordered a new Ford Ranger at the beginning of November (before the last motor show), and they have STILL not given me a delivery date. Rumours are that if I am really lucky, I might get it before Songkran, but that's over five months.

And they are even made in Rayong!

I also ordered at the same time (a 3.3) but I am 100% certain it wont come before Songkran. I will be lucky if we see it before the next motor show.

When I rang the Dealer this morning to check again on the status of my delivery I was asked if I had been to the motor show to see what else was on offer.

So I guess staff are also pissed off which doesnt help in the short term.

The only positive about attending the Motor Show this evening was that there was no 3.2 Wildtrak on show and they are not taking new orders.

The negative was that was also nothing else of real interest in this category. Lets hope Toyota steps up soon with its new model overhall (not facelift) that kills this arogance and Fords focus on the export dollars