Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

But I am hardly reading rave review what a great place the new promenade is to kick back and relax.

Well, ho's, katooeys, pimps, scam artists, street vendors, promenade johns, and yobs don't much post on the forum. You wanna kick back and relax, that's what the bars, restaurants, and go-gos are for, not to mention the beach umbrellas. smile.png TQ has rock music, too. Well, if you hit it at the right time.

Well JSixpack its the katooeys, pimps, scam artists, street vendors, promenade johns, and yobs that make

Pattaya interesting...If I am looking for fine upstanding people I will go to church on Sunday......

Oh, I--unlike many around here--totally agree, except on the katooeys. Point is, no need to worry about the deplorable and utterly mystifying lack of rave reviews for relaxation on a promenade that's not yet even completed: Feet and butts will speak far louder than mere words, and they'll all be back in force, one way or the other. smile.png

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

I noticed today they missed one tree, between soi 6 and pattaya klang, so thats cause for celebration

not me in this photo but its looks likes widening might be stretching the definition of the word in this spot 993935_10200457915271931_960104608_n.jpg

• Like 1

I noticed today they missed one tree, between soi 6 and pattaya klang, so thats cause for celebration

not me in this photo but its looks likes widening might be stretching the definition of the word in this spot 993935_10200457915271931_960104608_n.jpg

Another "doomsayer" who cannot, for some reason, see how wide the pathway is now cheesy.gif Seriously, I would think they would come up with a better solution, but TIT.

The old promenade was the only shred of a park Pattaya

had.

Not really, I walk down past the Bali Hi pier and all the boats and head towards the lighthouse past the sea rescue center. Take the stairs up at the lighthouse and you will find heaps and heaps of trees and walkways. There would be acres of walkways up there on the hill, all nice and quiet and trees everywhere with views too.

Besides do you really think the old promenade was a some sort of "shred of a park"? It never has been.

So we now have to take a very, very long hike and climb a steep hill just to find some shade to relax under? I think not.

Of course the old promenade was a long "park". In the 90s it was much better, but perhaps you weren't around then to remember how it was in it's better version.

Wow, so many negative comments, unbelievable. Took a walk from Pattaya Klang to Pattaya Nua today and the north end (near the Thai Airways Office) is complete now. No more huge drains with rusted out steel grates to walk on. It's all concrete and has some seating up there now, all be it in the sun though.

I still think it is better now than what it was before, the first 2 photos are the north end. The second 2 photos is the south end, the way it use to be all the way along and is still the same on the south end. Give me the new layout any day.

Yes it is cleaner now in a clinical antiseptic sort of way.

But I am hardly reading rave review here what a great place the new promenade

is to kick back and relax.The old promenade was the only shred of a park Pattaya

had.

There was a park with grass and trees right outside Bali Hi pier, but they built something on it recently.

Seems like city hall really hates the idea of open spaces for people to relax in. Must be because they aren't making money off open spaces.

Sad how Pattaya has now been destroyed like every other Thai beachside town eg Hua Hin et al.

Another "doomsayer" who cannot, for some reason, see how wide the pathway is now cheesy.gif Seriously, I would think they would come up with a better solution, but TIT.

For me, there are a lot of positives about the new promenade but this picture shows a major negative simply because it denies handicap access which is unexcuseable. Poor design, the corners around the trees should be shaved so someone in a wheel chair can get by. I hope they will fix this.

And yes, you were wrong. What I saw yesterday was not only adequate space to walk but pedestrians actually walking on it! So in the end it will boil down to what--maintenance isn't up to Santa Barbara standards, my favorite shade tree isn't there, blah, blah. Pop one balloon, another is sent up . . . .

To anticipate sneers, yes, it's of course just a temporary improvement. I remember when 3rd Rd was just finished: it was smooth sailing all the way from Pattaya Thai to Pattaya Nua. Wonderful while it lasted. So it is everywhere w/ road improvements, as they just attract larger populations and more people to use the roads.

I say, and I'm not the only one, some things are already looking good. Overall, this may be better, for a time. Overall. Before we rush to judgment, let's see what the finished product is.

The problem with the promenade is there are now No shade trees and as of now there is no

place to sit...Without shade the promenade is useless in the day time.

If you consider getting from point A to point B the only criteria for success then yes the new

promenade is a success...But if you would like to do a bit of walking and and a bit of relaxing,maybe sit and have a chat with a friend.As of now the new promenade is a huge failure.

Many of the shade trees needed to go because the lighting above could not penetrate to the walkway below them at night. Safety reasons. Same reason for the benches. I know they were nice to have, but in all truthfulness, they were mainly occupied by ladyboys and prostitutes. Hardly any room was left for the tourist or occasional walker. If they leave the benches out of the final design, a lot of the prostitutes will find somewhere to hang out, but there will be less on Beach Road. I have to say, the almost finished product is looking great.

They made a desert, and then wondered why no one came.

It's all about providing a "scenic" view for all the big new hotels that they think are going to be built along Beach Rd to cater for all the millionaires that are going to be flocking to Pattaya. Good luck with that one city hall. 5555555555555555555

went for a walk on it yesterday, no shade anywhere, strictly for night use from now on

Wear a wide brim hat like I do. The trees will mature and provide shade in due course, all new projects take time to mature.

They will mature just in time for them to be cut down again so the CCTV cams that don't get monitored can see the sidewalk, and the lights above can run the cockroaches off.

• Like 1

For me, there are a lot of positives about the new promenade but this picture shows a major negative simply because it denies handicap access which is unexcuseable. Poor design, the corners around the trees should be shaved so someone in a wheel chair can get by. I hope they will fix this.

Maybe some members should think 1 minute before posting such stupid remarks or criticals ? sad.png

Don't you notice that work is not finished there ? When blocks will be in place, they will be at the same level than the 2 squares enclosing the trees, and you will have a large walkway where anyone, wheelchair included, will have no problem to walk/drive. smile.png

• Like 1

Maybe some members should think 1 minute before posting such stupid remarks or criticals ? sad.png

Don't you notice that work is not finished there ? When blocks will be in place, they will be at the same level than the 2 squares enclosing the trees, and you will have a large walkway where anyone, wheelchair included, will have no problem to walk/drive. smile.png

I went at looked at some of the pictures of the completed north end. You are right, once the pavers are installed and the areas around the base of trees are filled in, then everything should be just fine. That picture was misleading.

Future problem? The majority of the new promenade (whether u like it or not) is wider for many joggers and walkers to enjoy. --But, like someone said in another post, by the time you get to the promendade near Walking Street, it is a narrow passageway, maybe 2 meters in width. Hopefully the one in charge of this construction can be "proactive" and come up with a solution to widen this; for, in the evenings, this walkway has a large volume of tourists stampeding/strolling? to Walking Street. With the new lane with being a bottle neck near Walking Street, it will be more difficult for people to walk on that section of Beach Rd (with the smell of the garbage). PS- I am still waiting to see policemen strolling along the walkway to get rid of the motorbikes buzzing along the new pathway.

Edited by toenail

Future problem? The majority of the new promenade (whether u like it or not) is wider for many joggers and walkers to enjoy. --But, like someone said in another post, by the time you get to the promendade near Walking Street, it is a narrow passageway, maybe 2 meters in width. Hopefully the one in charge of this construction can be "proactive" and come up with a solution to widen this; for, in the evenings, this walkway has a large volume of tourists stampeding/strolling? to Walking Street. With the new lane with being a bottle neck near Walking Street, it will be more difficult for people to walk on that section of Beach Rd (with the smell of the garbage). PS- I am still waiting to see policemen strolling along the walkway to get rid of the motorbikes buzzing along the new pathway.

Indeed the passage from south end BR (Tourist Office) to WS has always been very narrow, stinky and a pedestrian bottleneck.

I had a nasty fall a year or so ago right in front of the Siren trying to move through the crowds and the cars on the uneven walk path.

It can only get worse.

I have this nagging feeling that some bright light at City Hall has come up with the idea that people who walk on the Promenade don't spend baht during this activity so they shouldn't be accommodated too much ...

Plus a serious try at getting rid of the ladies of the night ,,,

Plus disengaging the left BR lane by having motocys drive and park on the now level Promenade (sarcasm here !!).

I went at looked at some of the pictures of the completed north end. You are right, once the pavers are installed and the areas around the base of trees are filled in, then everything should be just fine. That picture was misleading.
partly correct, except the blocks around the trees have holes in them, not really suitable for high healed shoes or walking sticks and not that great for wheel chairs and prams either. it will work but the fact is its poor design and lack of foresight Edited by wwex

Pedestrians and drivers will have different takes on this topic.
Any who walk AND drive the area?

My rant was as a ped. so i guess selfish and uncalled for.

Makes me think how cars change things at an expense.

Will it really make a big difference for traffic (and not just a new parking lane?)

AND could there not have been better solutions for drivers and pedestrians alike?

Did they eliminate the benches to keep people from hanging out?

DESPICABLE ?

or good idea for all the families that come to pat to see the beach, bwahahahahaha?

I have this nagging feeling that some bright light at City Hall has come up with the idea that people who walk on the Promenade don't spend baht during this activity so they shouldn't be accommodated too much ...

Plus a serious try at getting rid of the ladies of the night ,,,

Plus disengaging the left BR lane by having motocys drive and park on the now level Promenade (sarcasm here !!).

If any one has not taken a long walk on the new promenade during the day time I will tell

you what it is like it is HOT BLOODY HOT..I will go so far as to say it is almost not

usable during daylight hours..This has to be killing business big time in the shops along

the beach during the day...The fun factor is about zero walking beach road during the day now.

Please don't even tell me the promenade is good for families now...Families will be staying

far away from this hot boring place...

Pattaya a beach resort with a 3rd rate beach,where people are afraid to swim in the water

now with a promenade like the Sahara desert..

Why even bother staying at a beach front hotel any more...

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1

OK, I took one minute to think about it and you are right. After the work is done the area will be flat like the rest of the walkway disaster. I took a long walk down the walkway today. I have to say that it seems sterile and boring and is most definitely hot. The areas that I disliked the most are those that are wide and open (the areas that some posters think are an improvement). The traffic seems closer (sort of in your face). The palm trees are a real disaster. I do not even like the color of the bricks. It has no appeal, IMHO. It is no longer a relaxing place to jog or walk or sit. We just lost an important park.

Wow, so many negative comments, unbelievable. Took a walk from Pattaya Klang to Pattaya Nua today and the north end (near the Thai Airways Office) is complete now. No more huge drains with rusted out steel grates to walk on. It's all concrete and has some seating up there now, all be it in the sun though.

I still think it is better now than what it was before, the first 2 photos are the north end. The second 2 photos is the south end, the way it use to be all the way along and is still the same on the south end. Give me the new layout any day.

Ling, thank you so very much for the great photos. I return to Pattaya Tuesday and will check it out. From the photos, it certainly is different. As for the various posters who voice their opinions in rather crude terms, the old adage "You can't please them all" comes to mind.

Thanks again for the pics. :)

Pedestrians and drivers will have different takes on this topic.

Any who walk AND drive the area?

My rant was as a ped. so i guess selfish and uncalled for.

Makes me think how cars change things at an expense.

Will it really make a big difference for traffic (and not just a new parking lane?)

AND could there not have been better solutions for drivers and pedestrians alike?

Did they eliminate the benches to keep people from hanging out?

DESPICABLE ?

or good idea for all the families that come to pat to see the beach, bwahahahahaha?

Or, if they are making that a parking lane, the Thai will do what they usually do and use their trucks as places to sit and sleep.

though it may be a little on the hot side even for them.

maybe they see Arabs as the major market now?

"Sahara", "Arabs", I get your connection, which IMO is tasteless and has no relation to the discussion. :(

maybe they see Arabs as the major market now?

"Sahara", "Arabs", I get your connection, which IMO is tasteless and has no relation to the discussion. sad.png

And now something "positive" about the walkway: In about 30-40 years, the small umbrella trees that line the beach will be big enough to provide some good shade. That is a bit of a wait, but at least we know that will happen. Oh wait a minute, the City might decide to tear those trees to shreds because they apparently do not like the idea of "shade" and do not understand the connection between cutting down those trees and beach erosion. We are going to have to "wait and see." Pigs just might learn to fly.

There was a Police Officer on his bike going down the promenade yesterday booking anyone in the new lane. I give him credit, he stopped his bike at the where offending vehicles were parked and made himself well aware to the public blowing his whistle several times drawing attention to the fact he was going to issue a ticket. Those than came to their vehicle were cautioned with no fines and an explanation of the no parking zone, those that didn't return got a ticket. So they are getting onto this.

There was a Police Officer on his bike going down the promenade yesterday booking anyone in the new lane. I give him credit, he stopped his bike at the where offending vehicles were parked and made himself well aware to the public blowing his whistle several times drawing attention to the fact he was going to issue a ticket. Those than came to their vehicle were cautioned with no fines and an explanation of the no parking zone, those that didn't return got a ticket. So they are getting onto this.

so that means tourists will have to jaywalk a 3 lane motorway to get to the beach

so that means tourists will have to jaywalk a 3 lane motorway to get to the beach

How so if the pedestrian crossing lights work--as they certainly were for a while at least.

Bitch, bitch, bitch.

Good news :) I am almost sure that the City will find a way to make crossing the street easier and safe. If they actually are going to enforce traffic laws, it might happen. The bad news is what you see after crossing the street. In another life, the City would have created a nice "beachside park," with lots of shade trees, places to sit, and a winding jogging/walking path through the "park." In another life............

• Like 1

Good news smile.png I am almost sure that the City will find a way to make crossing the street easier and safe. If they actually are going to enforce traffic laws, it might happen. The bad news is what you see after crossing the street. In another life, the City would have created a nice "beachside park," with lots of shade trees, places to sit, and a winding jogging/walking path through the "park." In another life............

No matter what your feelings on the new walkway and whether or not you can survive crossing the road to reach it, there remains the issue of what you can see when you get there. One of the big issues that needs to be addressed is the eyesore created by the beach vendor umbrellas which are erected every day obscuring the view of the bay. Why don't they at least wait for customers before putting them up?

post-36175-0-06741300-1376444706_thumb.j

post-36175-0-93729200-1376444755_thumb.j

post-36175-0-90995500-1376444799_thumb.j

post-36175-0-02074000-1376444992_thumb.j

• Like 1

No matter what your feelings on the new walkway and whether or not you can survive crossing the road to reach it, there remains the issue of what you can see when you get there. One of the big issues that needs to be addressed is the eyesore created by the beach vendor umbrellas which are erected every day obscuring the view of the bay. Why don't they at least wait for customers before putting them up?

I certainly agree with this. The supply greatly exceeds the demand, even in the high season. On top of that most of the umbrellas look cheap and tatty.