Cinnamon

robblok

Strange thing is i find it hard to get, could not find it in my local big C and not in the Marko (could be looking wrong). I did see it in Tesco so i can get it there.

But id expect that something that is from Indonesia and such to be more available here then in the west.

I just like to have a large volume of ground cinnamon to go with my oats.

Any suggestions besides Tesco, if push comes to shove even buying it at half a kg on ebay is cheaper then buying even 2/4 of that here.

Tops, Villa, Foodland basically any food market catering to westerners, usually have a large range of "McCormick" or other spice distributor.

Siam Paragon basement has fancier stuff, but you're in the north right? Don't know the chains up there.

It's just not used by the locals - at all AFAIK.

• Like 1

We have this at Makro (Chiang Rai). These are unprocessed cinnamon sticks. Not powdered.

-

Need a pretty capable spice grinder to convert those to powder, might be hard to find since mortar and pestle's the usual way, not going to work too well with tree bark.

Rob if you're in CM, Tops is at both the airport and Central malls, Rim Ping may well have it as well. Tesco, Big C, Carrefour tend to go more for the high-volume and/or big-ticket items rather than trying to be complete.

Edited by FunFon

I get mine in bulk somewhat from our local Chinese herbalist as I also consume quite a bit. Another claimed benefit is the freshly ground stuff I get does not as a rule have molds that can occur in the small packaged stuff. I have also found bags of it in Makro...

Shame that i have so much it will last me for years..smile.png

Have a trip down Yaowarat or Pahurad..plenty of it..just get the Thai name..Op-Choei or something like that..

Good point once i have a bit of time (lame excuse but true) I will go there. Its hard to understand that I could not find it.

Yes the bigger supermarkets had it. I saw it at tesco and I don't mind the price but i consume a lot so if I can get bulk its better. Big C here had only small stuff. Makro I looked for it but as i said i could have overlooked it.

Other option is shipping from ebay. But i like things local if possible as it makes no sense to ship things half way through the world.

Sometimes knowing Thai can get better search results because trying it in English I came up empty. Here are some Thai sites that offer it.

OrganicThailand

pongpreuseka

NanaGarden

Thanks, ill get the gf to look at it she said the local market might have it too. I do remember them having some spices over there. Twais really thanks a lot I will surely order if i cant find it.

Sometimes knowing Thai can get better search results because trying it in English I came up empty. Here are some Thai sites that offer it.

OrganicThailand

pongpreuseka

NanaGarden

Thanks, ill get the gf to look at it she said the local market might have it too. I do remember them having some spices over there. Twais really thanks a lot I will surely order if i cant find it.

It looks like it must be fairly common as those prices are really low. One site (Organic), 1100 gms for 300 baht and another 180 Baht/kg.

Glad you found some. I get mine in cheap bulk packets and find them in the corner of Makro where they have bulk items, like open crates of beans. Nutmeg isn’t in stock as often so I stock up on that as well when they have it. Those little name brand plastic bottles are quite a bit more expensive.

Glad you found some. I get mine in cheap bulk packets and find them in the corner of Makro where they have bulk items, like open crates of beans. Nutmeg isn’t in stock as often so I stock up on that as well when they have it. Those little name brand plastic bottles are quite a bit more expensive.

Yes i found that out too, 50 grams for 80 bt or so now i pay 20bt per 100 grams. Plus its easier to get.

I use it enough every morning with my oatmeal. It is just a small saving but i like that i now have it in bulk.

It is produced and sold locally in both stick and powder forms. I find it in pretty much all supermarkets of any size, even out in the boondocks.

Need to look among the Thai and Chinese spices (not the westrn ones i.e. not where thel ittle bottles are but rather where the packs of local sopices are. Usdually same aisle that sells curry pastes). . Comes in a plastic packet about the size of a passport.

Tops has a brand of their own. "Tops Chinese Style Dried food & Spices" - a red sticker will differentiate the cinnamon from the other Chinese ones.

It is produced and sold locally in both stick and powder forms. I find it in pretty much all supermarkets of any size, even out in the boondocks.

Need to look among the Thai and Chinese spices (not the westrn ones i.e. not where thel ittle bottles are but rather where the packs of local sopices are. Usdually same aisle that sells curry pastes). . Comes in a plastic packet about the size of a passport.

Tops has a brand of their own. "Tops Chinese Style Dried food & Spices" - a red sticker will differentiate the cinnamon from the other Chinese ones.

Thanks and indeed i might have looked wrong but in the big C it was not there. I looked at the Thai spices too.. maybe it was not there or i was blind (also possible) anyway I am happy now that i can get it at the local market. That is even closer as the Big C.

Well you found it now so not really any need to add anything but yes Makro chonburi has both powdered and sticks in various sized bulk packs. Very cheap compared to the UK. In the spice, herbs, nuts, dried beans section.

I was going to add it's sold in stick form in herb sets for cooking bpaulo (spelling ???) so local markets should have it somewhere.