Don't Forget, Power Goes Out On The 5Th For 2 Weeks

stevehaigh

There was talk about power proiblems because of Burma doing some maintenance on their stations. Since then the Thai government has made clear this won't have the impact that some people, including steve, seem to be expecting.

Whilst I don't trust the government, I do feel the impact will be minimal, if any.

• Like 1

So no reason for panic buying, stripping Supercheaps shelves off candles and flashlights .

And the Mrs. wont have to exhaust herself, functioning as a human powered fan.

Edited by keestha

Ain't going to happen.

+1.

Some people love to live in fear. ph34r.png

True, but who would ever have thought floods in Bangkok would see Phuket run out of Beer, water and bog paper? smile.pngsmile.png

Also, who would ever have thought Thailand was so close to civil war that the Thai Army shot 90 fellow Thai's.

Everyday is exciting here. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

How much electricity is imported from Burma and how much can Thailand compensate of this by burning more coal or gas?

Super Cheap sells led lights with E27 base. These are nice things to have for cases of electric cuts. Each light have it's own little battery which can provide emergency lightning for a few hours. Many models also include remote control for on/off and sometimes dimming. Prices are 200B or so.

Edited by Guest

How much electricity is imported from Burma and how much can Thailand compensate of this by burning more coal or gas?

Super Cheap sells led lights with E27 base. These are nice things to have for cases of electric cuts. Each light have it's own little battery which can provide emergency lightning for a few hours. Many models also include remote control for on/off and sometimes dimming. Prices are 200B or so.

You can always go on Holiday to Samui...

• Like 1

It's not the electricity itself, but LNG from a Total gas field in Myanmar, and who exports nearly all of it's LNG to Thailand. Total have a planned 2 week shutdown for essential maintenance beginning in a couple of days, hence the lack of gas to replenish Thai stocks. Will all be down to how clever the Thais have been for the last few months in building up stocks as this shutdown has been known about for quite a few months.

It's not the electricity itself, but LNG from a Total gas field in Myanmar, and who exports nearly all of it's LNG to Thailand. Total have a planned 2 week shutdown for essential maintenance beginning in a couple of days, hence the lack of gas to replenish Thai stocks. Will all be down to how clever the Thais have been for the last few months in building up stocks as this shutdown has been known about for quite a few months.

Isn't essential maintenance done after something breaks down whistling.gif

I have been out of decent electricity since yesterday morning. I'll better stay here and start an survival consultancy service for expats.

Not necessarily, that's breakdown maintenance. These planned shutdowns are normally inspection driven, with essential replacement of plant and equipment that can only be undertaken whilst the plant is pressure and hydrocarbon free. No oil and gas production facility ever shuts down unless it's 'essential', and Total will want to get the facilities up and running again asap.

Thanks for the correction. I hope they have stocked up. If not, that might have an effect to Bangkok traffic as quite a lot of those run either on LNG or with the other one, which I tend to forget.

There was an report on Phuket News that currently Thailand is producing 70% of the electricity with the gas. http://www.thephuketnews.com/brace-for-higher-power-bills-38338.php)

What are the other sources for the LGN? Thailand's own production and imports from other countries?

Not necessarily, that's breakdown maintenance. These planned shutdowns are normally inspection driven, with essential replacement of plant and equipment that can only be undertaken whilst the plant is pressure and hydrocarbon free. No oil and gas production facility ever shuts down unless it's 'essential', and Total will want to get the facilities up and running again asap.

It's okay eezergood - I got it (your post) wink.png

• Like 1

I have been following this story since it was reported late last year. Just my opinion, but it seems one of these 'take political advantage of every crisis'. Again just my view, over dramatised for PR advantage. If is happens - then we told you, if it does not happen - we resolved that big problem. Situation normal.

• Like 1

unfortunately having light will be a small comfort if i cannot shower or take a shit

• Like 1

unfortunately having light will be a small comfort if i cannot shower or take a shit

It depends how things are done. I don't have communal water so I have month worth of water storage on the higher ground. Gravity does it's work without electricity.

Some forum members have told that they have not have government water for some time or water is not available all the time. Old fashioned water tower would do the trick. The tower can be filled during the times when there is both water and electricity.

If the electricity is cut for longer period of time, then an aggregator (generator) can be used with the pump to fill up the storage. As well as charge the batteries of the lights. Good for reading while on the stool.

1000 liters goes a long way when people have to save the water.

Or sleep. (fan and/or air con)

I have been out of decent electricity since yesterday morning. I'll better stay here and start an survival consultancy service for expats.

Just hand out some signed copies of Bear Grill's latest book with a machete, lighter and candle to your dearest and friends and go on hoildayby yourself... They'll be finecoffee1.gif

Where is this happening and what areas?

bangkok and everywhere south and i'd be surprised (but very happy) if it doesn't happen

Well I live 55 km North west of BKK, both Monday and Tuesday [yesterday] the electric went out for just under 2 hours each day,,,,,,,,, so have they started early ? or is going to be more often after the 5th ?

Phoned a friend 6 km west, another 12 km north east both also had no power, so not just this Village.

Thankfully both times were from around 8 am.......... just hope it will not be mid afternoon when it is so hot..... had already bought big AC/DC fish pumps so at least they were OK

sure, the place that's well know for having uninterrupted electricity!

its bangkok and everywhere south people.

i heard that daily use in Thailand at the moment is 27000MW and after the 5th they can only make 20000MW so not sure how they are going to manage the missing 7000MW, i guess rolling blackouts

i just did some math, there are 70million people in Thailand, so lets say 3-4 people per household, so that's about 20 million housholds

so 27000MW means each household is averaging 1.350kW (ok that includes factories too which are supposed to be closing down for 2 weeks but those people will go home and put on the TV and the AC)

so to get down to 20000MW we need to get people to cut out 350W on average. turning off a few lights and tv when not watching could take care of most of that

Allright i will buy 1 million I-phone batteries and spend a week charging them all.

crazy.gif Then i will sell them at B10000 a piece! Moewhahahahahahacrazy.gif

coffee1.gif If anyone chooses to do this i want .001% of the net profit....cool.png

I think we should be more worried about the water situation.

Agreed, especially with the additional 'wastage' that's going to occur during Songkran, as there's hardly a drop of rain forecast between now and then.

I think we should be more worried about the water situation.

Agreed, especially with the additional 'wastage' that's going to occur during Songkran, as there's hardly a drop of rain forecast between now and then.

we had a drop in rawai last night and according to WG, maybe more for the next few nights. not enough to help the water table i think but it sure feels fresher this a.m.

in other news, i guess EGAT is no saying no blackouts, hope they are right