Maggie Thatcher Is Dead.

Jockstar

A true British and world Icon, although to the scots she was English! Great Briton is perfect for her, conviction and drive to get things done and put the country back on its feet. We will not see here like again.

Edited by exeter
  • Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While i do not agree with most of the violence in Northern Ireland i believe she prolonged the troubles up there by about 10 years and made the situation for John Major and others that followed more difficult so i won't miss her too much

No, That was the terrorists.

totster :)

Like Nelson Mandela:)

Well at least now that issue of who runs the country has been resolved, now we know for certain, the banks. Scargill could not have dreamt in his wildest dreams of inflicting so much damage on the country. Thank goodness Maggie came along and got rid of all those regulations.

Rubbish.The banks were quite well regulated under Thatcher.The light touch regulation of the financial sector happened under Blair and Brown.Indeed they boasted about it.To be fair the Tories went along with it but by then Thatcher had long gone.

De-regulation of the financial markets started under Thatcher. If you recall there were rock solid institutions called Building Societies with sensible lending policies. Also rock solid Mutual Societies almost all of whom went the way of the Halifax one of the most rock solid of all. What an achievement.

Is the wrong answer!

Big Bang in the City did start around 1985 although the effect of it on mutualisation was minimal, only a few building societies turned into banks, the majority stayed as building societies albeit many of them merged.

We will not see here like again.

Thank God!

A rather silly one-liner from you, JT. As an American, I can forgive you for having no understanding of just how much she did to save Great Britain from utter ruin.

• Like 2

Posters under the age of 40 years old making negative comments about Margaret Thatchers time as PM are, for the most part, simply not credible.

Perhaps some are the children of miners....and remember missing meals and sitting at home hungry. Very presumptuous post!

It's not good to generalise I know but on this point I feel very safe, posts 276 and 278 really say it all so I will not repeat the detail.

Maggie R I P

Just would like to say that this is one American that thought you were quite the lady and an excellent PM

RIP

Shows how much yanks know, she was an evil old hag, a friend of pinochet, murderer of the belgrano and destroyer of British society who's fiscal policies have led the UK to where it is today.

• Like 2

Her great privatisation drive lined the pockets of her mates, and don't even get me started on the Falklands. The hag has the blood of our troops on her hands. Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Er, the Falklands were invaded by foreign forces. Tell more of your comment please. Rather different to Blair, with his sexed up dossiers, 45 minute capability comments on so on.

Maggie R I P

Just would like to say that this is one American that thought you were quite the lady and an excellent PM

RIP

Shows how much yanks know, she was an evil old hag, a friend of pinochet, murderer of the belgrano and destroyer of British society who's fiscal policies have led the UK to where it is today.

What a sad things to say you have a particular view of history that I and many others do not share, have a nice day.

A quote from someone on Facebook.

Much as I loathed her policies I find that I cannot gloat at the death of Margaret Thatcher. I had a brief, shameful moment of it when I heard the news but now I just feel a sense of relief that some of the weight of anger about privatisation, the miner's strike, Clause 28, the sinking of the Belgrano etc etc that built up in me during the 1980s has been lifted, a little.

There are far more pressing concerns to deal with now, all of them knock-on effects, furtherations and poisonous mutations of Thatcher's doctrine of insularity, privatisation and selfishness, propounded and, piece by piece, implemented by smaller, crueller, more fearful and less cunning politicians.

I believe that the only way the left in Britain should mark her passing is to stand, calm and united, against her legacy; to be as effective as she was as agents of change. Her body is gone, but the body politic she created lives on. The only death I would be prepared to celebrate is the death of her ideas.

Anything else is just cruel and small and pointless, and likely to fuel the anger of those who supported her to a point where it would be impossible to reach any compromise.

Margaret Thatcher left office in 1990...23 years ago..I think you'd be hard pushed to blame her for todays "ill's"...whistling.gif

RAZZ

Oh really! Her monetarist policies, carried on by all subsequent governments, have got us where we are today, Fecked!

She deregulated the banks, sold off british industries and even took the milk off the children, she was as evil as they come.

Rot in Hell!

• Like 2

Posters under the age of 40 years old making negative comments about Margaret Thatchers time as PM are, for the most part, simply not credible.

Perhaps some are the children of miners....and remember missing meals and sitting at home hungry. Very presumptuous post!

My family are from grimethorpe, many worked down the mine there, they would tell us that many of the shifts were spent asleep underground! They all seemed pretty well off to me as well, better than us and led my Arthur in his Jaguar, park it round the corner and walk the last few yards. It was not right that every year the NUM posted a wage demand or else, they were effectively government employees holding the country ransom, something had to change.

We can debate her legacy for ever but I thought that overall she was a force for good and sorted things out that needed sorting, if you were being sorted you would not like it but change happens, it always is happening you have to move with it.

Sad day for the UK and the world, both owe her a debt.

"Sad day for the UK and the world, both owe her a debt"

Ironic really, as thanks to her fiscal policies, we are all now IN DEBT!.

A quote from someone on Facebook.

Much as I loathed her policies I find that I cannot gloat at the death of Margaret Thatcher. I had a brief, shameful moment of it when I heard the news but now I just feel a sense of relief that some of the weight of anger about privatisation, the miner's strike, Clause 28, the sinking of the Belgrano etc etc that built up in me during the 1980s has been lifted, a little.

There are far more pressing concerns to deal with now, all of them knock-on effects, furtherations and poisonous mutations of Thatcher's doctrine of insularity, privatisation and selfishness, propounded and, piece by piece, implemented by smaller, crueller, more fearful and less cunning politicians.

I believe that the only way the left in Britain should mark her passing is to stand, calm and united, against her legacy; to be as effective as she was as agents of change. Her body is gone, but the body politic she created lives on. The only death I would be prepared to celebrate is the death of her ideas.

Anything else is just cruel and small and pointless, and likely to fuel the anger of those who supported her to a point where it would be impossible to reach any compromise.

Margaret Thatcher left office in 1990...23 years ago..I think you'd be hard pushed to blame her for todays "ill's"...whistling.gif

RAZZ

Oh really! Her monetarist policies, carried on by all subsequent governments, have got us where we are today, Fecked!

She deregulated the banks, sold off british industries and even took the milk off the children, she was as evil as they come.

Rot in Hell!

Think again, Gordon Brown admitted it was lack of action by him that caused the major issues in the UK banking environment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1375577/Gordon-Brown-admits-failed-rein-banks-shake-threatens-1k-branches.html

Well at least now that issue of who runs the country has been resolved, now we know for certain, the banks. Scargill could not have dreamt in his wildest dreams of inflicting so much damage on the country. Thank goodness Maggie came along and got rid of all those regulations.

Rubbish.The banks were quite well regulated under Thatcher.The light touch regulation of the financial sector happened under Blair and Brown.Indeed they boasted about it.To be fair the Tories went along with it but by then Thatcher had long gone.

Please don't try and rewrite history, SHE deregulated the banks, the blairs and browns were just her clones carrying on her fiscal policies as all who followed her have.

• Like 1

i hope she was in intense pain right up to the end and that her mind and memory were intact enough to feel it. she destroyed every trace of community, goodwill and public spirit in the UK under a systematic campaign of making her wealthy friends simply wealthier. long may she rot in hell.

What a sad, uninformed, unintellegent view.

... she destroyed every trace of community pal.

What you know about community and the related issues in the UK during the 1980's is nothing, and I''m not your pal.

Is this the same 'community' of the miners? Where Scargill's miners turned on and intimidated the miners (and their families) that actually wanted to work?

• Like 2

The British working man stopped believing in a fair days work for a fair days pay, and we got what we deserved.............some of the industrial practises of the time were absolutely beyond belief.

I sat in a canteen in 1984 in BSC Ravenscraig and watched a vicious fight take place during a Union meeting, the Communists, ( yes we had communists, red stars on their caps, the whole works ) were demanding that we come out on strike to support the Miners. Other men objected as the miners had refused to support our Steel strike in 1980, one word led to another and a mass brawl broke out.

Entertaining as it was for an 18 year old to watch I'll never forget one guy saying, " the idea is a simple one, come to work, do your job, get paid, go home, not come to work and look for any excuse to go out on strike ".

I would suggest that just about anyone who was involved in the heavy industries during the 70's and 80's could tell you horror stories, deliberate sabotage, ( a regular occurrence in our steel works ) petty strikes, blah blah.....it was just unbelievable at times.

We working men were our own worst enemy, and if you don't believe that, you weren't there.

In the early days Thatcher had no choice, she had to do what she did re British nationalized industries.

She lost the plot later though with the poll tax, allowing Nigel Lawson to turn on the credit tap, and talking tough on Europe while folding behind the scenes. She stayed on for one election too many, it's as simple as that.

I think your post sums up the 70's and 80's under her stewardship very well. The UK was a divided nation and casualties from both wings of the political spectrum were inevitable. It was basically a war of sorts. Perhaps the following lyrics from a song of the times by the Strawbs (I'm a union man, written in 1973) will remind some of us of the political feelings/power of the Unions back in those days.

Now I'm a union man

Amazed at what I am

I say what I think, that the company stinks

Yes I'm a union man

When we meet in the local hall

I'll be voting with them all

With a hell of a shout, it's "Out brothers, out!"

And the rise of the factory's fall

Oh, you don't get me, I'm part of the union

You don't get me, I'm part of the union

You don't get me, I'm part of the union

Until the day I die, until the day I die