Turning Fish Into Rice ...

David48

Turning Fish into Rice ...

I've searched the net and have found scant information on the subject of turning Fish into Rice.

What I am thinking is of a system where you have a fish pond, draining it at the end of the regular growing cycle, then, planting in the naturally fertilised rich and saturated soil, a rice crop.

Found heaps of co-habitation between paddy fields and fish ... but that's not what I'm looking for.

Any knowledge base out there of utilising a recently drained fish pond into paddy?

BTW ... Water into Wine would have been much more fun ... but that's story been told before ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Having your pond tied up for 6 months would not be economical David, even if you allowed 1-2 months drying period, the value added in that other 4 months of growing on your next fish cycle would beat rice growing by probably a factor of 10.

• Like 1

od, mate ... thanks for those thoughts, and I agree with your business viewpoint but ...

I'm looking to do a few things.

Break the virus cycle, both Fish and Prawn, if there is a biological issue in a pond.

I like to experiment on a few things.

But the biggie would be ... rice paddy art

Imagine for a moment the commercial benefit of being under the flight path into Swampy doing stuff like this ...

3571822225_ef3a3d545c.jpg

3571822333_ac9a0732f9.jpg

3572629034_4e773dd50d.jpg

4369866963_689bbf4ee2.jpg

Think TAT, Red Bull, Pepsi, Monks and, with permission ... the Royal Family.

I'm a dreamer, a planner .. but a business man with a business plan.

Also, I try and see business opportunities that the mimic Thai can't copy easily.

They (the Japs) use GPS to plant the rice.

• Like 1

If , breaking the "virus cycle" were the intent, then growing a rice crop ,which requires flooding would defeat the purpose.

Lime dusting and sun baking after pump out is to help eliminate waterborne virus.

I saw the "rice paddy art " show on ABC ,the color shades was achieved through using different rice cultivars ,this would make the mixed harvested rice pretty much worthless in Thailand.

When low enough to make out such a design on the flight path into Swampy ,the seat belt sign would be on so the people able to see it would be restricted to the pilots and perhaps an eagle eyed window seater, not a great viewing audience.wink.png

• Like 1

ha ha ha ... David is dreamer man

sometimes he think to much

sometimes dream to much

but maybe better he go paint the house then try and do with paint the pond with rice

I disagree. I'll invest!

We need a Japanese artist and a contract with 711 perhaps?

Combining rice and fish farming is quite common

http://www.fao.org/docrep/015/a0823e/a0823e00.htm

Mate, thanks for that.

Initially I was dissapointed as most of the article refers to Fish and Rice co-inhabiting the pond ... not what I was after.

But there was some information on page 25 which I was searching for.

BTW ... my 5,000th post.

David48

Titanium Member

photo-104736.gif?_r=1341229070

Advanced Members

bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png

5000 posts

Happy to have that recorded in the Farming Forum ... wai.gif