Requirements For Obtaining And Renewing A 2 Year Driving Licence

Rimmer

Quick question about getting my first driver's license: I've been there and they scheduled me for next week. However, a friend told me that for the practical exam I will have to provide the vehicle (which is quite paradoxical considering I don't have a license) . Is that true? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2016 at 0:17 AM, FarangFB said:

I will have to provide the vehicle (

there will be some one there willing to lend you theirs for a  small consideration  but most people just use the vehicle they drove to the test center with.

Thanks a lot!

One more question. Some say they show up with their paperwork and go home a couple of hours later with their brand new licence, others say they get told to come back a couple of weeks later. Different depending on which licence you're getting?

I'll be getting my 1st 2-year Thai driving licence with a UK (car) driving licence, and also hoping to get a bike driving licence as well. I have all the paperwork for both.

Can I just show up and get it all done in one day?

Edited by FritzB

1 hour ago, johng said:

If you don't have a uk bike licence then more than likely you'll have to do the "full" bike test so not one day.

Another thread from these days about doing a motorbike license from scratch.

Yes full program (theory and driving test incl.).

One day or not (exact timing/schedule) may depend on office.

Mine was two days (with breaks).

See the thread.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2016 at 7:32 PM, FritzB said:

Went in to Chonburi Land Transportation Office today at around 2.30pm, walked out 20 minutes later with my brand new Thai car driving licence.

Very speedy. I'll do my bike licence later when I'm in less of a hurry.

Can I ask what documents you used and what was the process, sounds very quick

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2016 at 4:28 PM, dazk said:

Can I ask what documents you used and what was the process, sounds very quick

I had with me:

- My valid UK car driving licence

- A recently acquired & valid residence certificate from Jomtien Immigration

- A recently acquired & valid health certificate from a clinic in Pattaya (any clinic will do)

- 2 passport-size photographs (turns out I didn't need them)

Apparently the procedure is a lot faster when you already possess a valid licence in English for the type of vehicle you apply for (car or bike or both) as you won't need to take any tests. I only had my vision checked (extremely basic), didn't have to watch any videos or take any driving tests at all.

Edited by FritzB
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 01/12/2016 at 7:32 PM, FritzB said:

Went in to Chonburi Land Transportation Office today at around 2.30pm, walked out 20 minutes later with my brand new Thai car driving licence.

When you say Chonburi Land Transportation Office, do you mean the LTO in Chonburi City or the local Pattaya one on Road 36?

Does anybody have any info about getting a Thai licence via a driving school? You may remember that Thai Visa issued a news alert a few weeks ago saying that a number of officially approved driving schools around the country can now issue you with a certificate (presumably after  having completed a course of instruction?) which you then take to the LTO and they will issue you with a Thai driver's licence no questions asked. I've noticed one visa shop offering this service but I'm wondering if anybody's actually tried it yet?

• 2 weeks later...
I agree that it does seem to depend on the person you deal with. A friend and I both renewed our one year licence within a few days of each other, I got a five year one and he was told that a foreigner could only have a one year one.

I got a two year on two separate occasions. I was told, not sure if it's 100% true, that you can only get a five year if you're a resident and retired here with the visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 1 month later...

What's the current process to get a Thai license in Pattaya with following setup;

Have a valid international license issued in USA

Have a valid California license

Have a "retirement visa" and residency certificate recently issued

Have a health certificate and passport photos to supply

I'd like motorbike and car if possible. What's the process? Will I need to take exams?

Thanks,

W2

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 5:19 PM, Wuvu2 said:

What's the current process to get a Thai license in Pattaya with following setup;

Have a valid international license issued in USA

Have a valid California license

Have a "retirement visa" and residency certificate recently issued

Have a health certificate and passport photos to supply

I'd like motorbike and car if possible. What's the process? Will I need to take exams?

Thanks,

W2

Go along with your originals and copies plus two copies of relevant passport data and say you want to apply for car and bike licences. If you are lucky you may only have to do the colour, vision and reaction tests but you do not say if you have IDP for bike and car. If only for car you may be lucky...........

They do not need/want passport photos as they take there.

• 3 months later...
On 01/12/2016 at 7:32 PM, FritzB said:

You won't do it that fast again. I renewed my 5 year licence a couple of days ago, it took 3 1/2 hours. That was to do the colour, reaction and perception tests, sit through a 45 minute video (compulsory), get in a long queue to pay, then wait 30 minutes for photo to be taken, wait another 30-45 minutes for the licence. Got there at 8.30, left at 12.00.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, The manic said:

Cant we just pay an agent to do it all as with visas? How long will a foreign licence be useable? I have UK and Saudi licences and a new international license. I hope this is not too far from the target subject.

How is an agent going to do a colour, reaction and perception test for you and sit through a 45 minute video?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

If a 2 year temporary license has expired can it still be renewed ?

I was under the impression that they allowed a period of grace but from comments on another thread that might only apply to 5 year license renewals 

My 2 year license expired two weeks ago 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8.10.2017 at 9:41 AM, rog2015 said:

If a 2 year temporary license has expired can it still be renewed ?

I was under the impression that they allowed a period of grace but from comments on another thread that might only apply to 5 year license renewals 

My 2 year license expired two weeks ago 

I have not seen any hint that there is no grace period for converting a temporary license to a 5 yr.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

When renewing a 2 year licence to another 2 year licence (due to tourist visa), do you just need a residents cert and medical cert?

Always used to be thus - plus the copies of passport.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My current 2 year thai motorcycle and car licenses expire on Sunday, can I renew on the Friday before? Or do i have to do it the following week?

I have:

2 residents certs from Jomtien immigration

2 medical certs, one original and one copy of it, is that ok?

2 copies of my passport i/d page and 2 copies of current visa stamp and t.m card.

Is there anything else i need?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, lol69 said:

can I renew on the Friday before? Or do i have to do it the following week?

if you go just after expiry  you'll get almost an extra year free.

you could have gotten away with 1 original and 1 copy of the  residence certificate.

you need copies of the old licences too I  seem to remember ,

take the original licenses  and original passport too ..just in case.

• Like 2