Requirements For Obtaining And Renewing A 2 Year Driving Licence

Rimmer

where can i go to do the photos in south pattaya?

In most centres they take the photos digitally.

Yes, no need to take photos to the DLT they will be digitally taken and then printed into the plastic licence.

You do need photos for the "certificate of residence" from immigration

On South Pattaya road opposite Friendship ( the big one ) and a bit towards Sukhumvit is a photo processing shop

also opposite Center condo ( just past soi hollywood ) there is a Kodak shop ( soi Kodak laugh.png ) both can do the required photos.

Edited by johng

ok, thanks!

I have original:

passport

medical certificate

italian driving licence

international driving licence

residence certificate

copy:

passport

italian driving licence

international driving licence

did i miss anything?

what is the opening time of the chon buri land transportation? are they open from monday to friday? wink.png

what is the opening time of the chon buri land transportation? are they open from monday to friday? wink.png

Do you mean Chonburi city as you have mentioned Pattaya.

The one at Chonburi city is open Mon - Fri, opens 08.30 and is closed for lunch 12 till 1, and you need to be in by 2 in the afternoon. It is a very busy office and a bit chaotic at the moment. I would suggest going between 1.30 and 2 in the afternoon and you should be out around 4. If you go in the morning you will probably be behind all the Thais and not get out till mid afternoon.

this one right?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Chon+Buri+Land+Transportation+Authority+Office+%28Bang+Lamung+Branch%29/@12.9795624,100.9621249,13z/data=!4m6!1m3!3m2!1s0x3102bf8c352cb771:0x37f464b5c7dcebdf!2sChon+Buri+Land+Transportation+Authority+Office+%28Bang+Lamung+Branch%29!3m1!1s0x3102bf8c352cb771:0x37f464b5c7dcebdf

No, that is the Pattaya office. Look in the link, it is the Bang Lamung Branch.

Chonburi is the province and there is another office in Chonburi city, about 40 miles north of there.

Just repeating.

No photos needed.
ALL DLT offices take the picture on site and the license is printed at an instant (after passing the bureaucratic hurdles/tests) by a special card printer.

Closest DLT from Pattaya is the Banglamung Office (as linked in previous post as Pattaya DLT).

No need to go to Chonburi city.

Banglamung is the district (amphoe) that covers all of the Pattaya area.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Question:

My driving license expierd in June, is i possible for me to renew mine or do i have to take all the tests again?

No problems, you have up to one year to renew without having to retake any of the tests.

• Like 2

Question:

My driving license expierd in June, is i possible for me to renew mine or do i have to take all the tests again?

No problems, you have up to one year to renew without having to retake any of the tests.

Thanks biggrin.png

I think you will find that you have to do the colour, reaction and alignment tests again - or at least I always had to when I renewed in the past.

Question:

Thanks biggrin.png

I think you will find that you have to do the colour, reaction and alignment tests again - or at least I always had to when I renewed in the past.

That’s true, but you’ll always have to do those “tests”, early or late renewal.
We all interpret things differently, my understanding was that the questions was referring to the written test, that you’d have to take if the license is expired by more than one year.
Or the practical test, that you’d also have to take, if the license has expired by three years or more.

Got both my licences today, car and motorcycle, in at 9 o'clock and back out by 10:30. This was at the Ban Lamung office. Documents needed were:-

2 Residence certificates

2 Doctors Certificates

2 Copies of passport ID page and Visa page

2 Copies of UK Driving Licence front and back

I had copies of my IDP but they didn't want those and just wanted to see the original to verify my UK licence.

All in a very painless although as others have said chaotic experience lol

NOTE: Both Licences have an expiry date 2 years from now.

Edited by Linnets1961

• 2 weeks later...

Can confirm Linnets1961 report from above, IDP was not needed / accpeted at all, BUT the lady at the desk wanted me to have a certified translation of my (Swiss) driver licence into English, certified by the Swiss embassy, and she even showed me a copy of how that document must look like...

Difference to Linnets report might be that my (Swiss) licence is of course in German (or French / Italien) and not in English.. so to BKK, enter Swiss Embassy, leave with translation 30 min later and 1'440 Baht "poorer"...

So went there this morning 8:30 with residence certificate, doctor certificate, passport copies (Non-O Visa, ID page, departure card) plus translation from Swiss Embassy. Copy of everything was accepted for second licence and had to be signed by me (of course originals needed no signature

Out of land transportation office at 10:30 with two licences, both valid 2 years!

Edited by Swiss1960

• 4 weeks later...

Did my 5 year extension today (actually 6 years by going just after my birthday). Much better organised than last time, and foreigners were separated from the crush at the door at opening time and given a separate queue, which was very welcome. Took three hours due to the mobs of people they had to process; but painless and friendly service.

Brief report here: http://www.pattayadays.com/2015/10/six-years-2/

• 1 month later...

Where is the best place to get a doctors certificate.

If you are here on a 'O" three month multi-trip visa, married to a Thai Lady, and have a condo in your name here, do you still have to show residency even though you are just here on holiday?

Where is the best place to get a doctors certificate.

If you are here on a 'O" three month multi-trip visa, married to a Thai Lady, and have a condo in your name here, do you still have to show residency even though you are just here on holiday?

1) Any street "clinic" will give you one for 100 Baht. If you want 2 licences (car / bike), make a photocopy, that is accepted for all docs, if you do both licences at the same time

2) yes, they want a residence certificate, as this address will be on the back of the licence

If you have a valid international driving licence (IDL) do you still need to apply for a Thai licenece if you want to drive a car in Thailand. Most of my friends say that the IDL is not valid here anymore.

And how do you imagine the thousands of tourists in Thaialand are going to rent a car, when the IDL would not be accepted anymore? Only thing is that Thailand might want you to change to a Thai driver ID once you live here an a Non-Imm / extension status, but am not sure about the law. In european countries, you are only allowed to drive on a foreign driver licence for a limited period of time, I think it is 6 months in Switzerland

All car rental agencies would go bust, because they could not rent out anymore to tourists, because tourists can NOT get a Thai driver licence...

So tell your friend to start thinking and not telling you BS

If you live in Central Pattaya, where can you go to apply for a car license. The place by the school is a long way from Pattaya on a motorbike.

No other place, the Chonburi Land Transport Office near Regent's international is the only such office for the Banglamung / Sattahip districts. If you buy a car from a dealer, let him do it for you, otherwise you will have to drive there.

Yes, if you do what you should do (omit the highway with the bike), then it is around 30 min to drive there from Central Pattaya.

?? Not sure whether I understand this.

You have made six (6) one year driving licenses since 2010 (with tourist visa or visa exempt/no visa/30 days)?

If retired visa stands for one year extension (permit to stay for one year based on retirement) then you would be eligible for a 5 year license.

Precondition is that your latest temporary ("one year") permission has not expired for more than one year.

?? Not sure whether I understand this.

You have made six (6) one year driving licenses since 2010 (with tourist visa or visa exempt/no visa/30 days)?

If retired visa stands for one year extension (permit to stay for one year based on retirement) then you would be eligible for a 5 year license.

Precondition is that your latest temporary ("one year") permission has not expired for more than one year.

every year I got a new driving license, now has 6 pieces

I was in every year 6-7 month tourist visa

I am over 50 years old now and I'm going to apply for a license

Sorry my English is not very good!

• 2 weeks later...